PDA

View Full Version : FBI Banned From Iceland

Arrowwind
1st February 2013, 13:22
Full Story: http://rixstep.com/1/20130131,00.shtml

FBI Banned from Iceland

Attempted to infiltrate country in hunt for WikiLeaks.

http://rixstep.com/tracker/0
REYKJAVÍK (Rixstep) — FBI agents landed in Reykjavík without prior notification in an attempt to investigate WikiLeaks operations in the country, but Home Secretary Ögmundur Jónasson found out about the visit and forced them to leave the country, with the Icelandic government then issuing a formal protest to US authorities, according to Islandsbloggen (http://rixstep.com/1/%3Ca).

The hunt for WikiLeaks by the US has on several occasions involved private individuals and companies on Iceland. Authorities in the US have for example succeeded in obtaining account information from Twitter on parliamentarian Birgitta Jónsdóttir. Jónsdóttir today refuses to travel to the US out of fear of being arrested for her connections with WikiLeaks.

Birgitta Jónsdóttir is also one of the people behind a new piece of Icelandic media legislation which will make the country a bastion for freedom of speech and source protection. The law proposal is still a long way from being completed and can still take years before it's ratified by the Icelandic parliament.

RMorgan
1st February 2013, 13:42
FBI has no authority in any other country but the USA...This is just pathetic.

They can make a deal with local authorities to conduct common interest operations, but always subjected to local authorities. This wasn´t the case, of course.

In this case, the Icelandic authorities could have arrested the agents on the spot, but I understand they wouldn´t want to cause a major diplomatic incident, specially with the USA.

Of course, we aren´t talking about the CIA here. The CIA can go anywhere in the world and do whatever they want unpunished.

Arrowwind
1st February 2013, 13:51
Im thinking that if Iceland leaders knew of the CIA coming in they might be invited to leave also. I also think that the CIA is all over the wikileaks thing. Anyway, its nice to see a country work at maintaining their autonomy.

I dont think the CIA has any authority anywhere really except the authority any country wishes to give them

markpierre
1st February 2013, 14:12
A complaint from tiny little nothing Iceland? Not worth mentioning. We pin those to the wall in the break-room and laugh at them.
They wouldn't do that to us anywhere important.

NewFounderHome
1st February 2013, 15:08
Be assured then there are CIA elements in Iceland and have been there for a long time!
Yes Iceland can throw them out of their country, that is sure, but the CIA might bribe, threaten, kidnap, kill and more.
They will use all means to get to their target, subject, reaction, situation and more.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
1st February 2013, 15:11
YAY ICELAND!

But about the CIA, they are verrrrrrry careful about being noticed.

Or at least before 9-11 they seemed less idiotic

NewFounderHome
1st February 2013, 15:16
Iceland needs to keep a very good eye open and look over every one.
Many countries and groups will try to stop what they are doing.

Hats off to them, they are leading in what might need to be done across the world.

East Sun
1st February 2013, 15:52
I really admire Iceland for being independent. I hope they ban Monsanto, if not done so already. They don't want anything to do with the EU. Maybe in the future it will be the place to live. If it was not so cold there i'd consider it for retirement.
They should find and throw out the CIA, and any other bully organization.

Hope other countries follow their lead.

Tane Mahuta
2nd February 2013, 09:22
They!!

The FBI should be banned from this planet!!

Good riddance!!!

TM