PDA

View Full Version : Split thread from "MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, Free online classes for everyone"

Carmody
5th February 2013, 05:35
So are they giving credits that you can put towards a degree? they will hold a transcript of your participation?

do you have anything to offer other than criticism?

===

[ Mod-edit: The first 12 posts of this thread began life on another thread: MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, Free online classes for everyone (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?55209-MIT-Harvard-Berkeley-Free-online-classes-for-everyone). These posts got off topic and contentious, so were split off. - Paul. ]

Arrowwind
5th February 2013, 05:55
So are they giving credits that you can put towards a degree? they will hold a transcript of your participation?

Geesh....
I consider these valid questions... sorry you don't

Tangri
5th February 2013, 06:00

I do not think it was a criticism, it was a clearing question for a new subject IMHO.:o

Paul
5th February 2013, 07:00

Geesh....

The simple question "Are these courses for credit?" is a simple valid question. The edX Help Page (https://www.edx.org/help) says:

Will my university accept my edX coursework for credit?

Each educational institution makes its own decision regarding whether to accept edX coursework for credit. Check with your university for its policy.

edX's answer rather ducks the question, in my view. I see no evidence that simply taking the course on-line will provide credits toward a degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.

Those familiar with the higher (college and university) education system in the US will guess, correctly I suppose, that just taking an edX course over the Internet isn't going to get you any credits that can be used toward a degree from an accredited institution of higher learning. More substantive, less easily faked, demonstrations of competency would be required for such credits.

Since, from what you've told us of yourself on this forum, we might suppose that you have attended such institutions yourself and obtained such credits and likely one or more degrees, we might suppose you already guessed, when you asked the question, roughly what the answer was. You didn't just "get off the boat" from some far away, quite different, culture. This suggests that your question was not naive, but more pointed, intended to point out a suspected deficiency of these courses.

A matter of subtle wording also applies here ... starting your question with "So ..." further suggests to me that your question was not naive, rather pointed. Such qualifiers as "So ...", "by the way", or "just asking" are often used to claim naive innocence for a question that is actually being asked with pointed intention.

The covert criticism apparent in your pointed question (at least it looks "pointed" to me at this moment) apparently irritated Carmody enough to provoke a second question of the same form ... a question more pointed than naive. Carmody (I'm guessing) knew dang well your post was more criticism than simple question.

Here's a different way you could phrased your original post on this topic:

I presume that these on-line courses do not offer credits toward a degree.

Tangri
5th February 2013, 07:55

Geesh....

The simple question "Are these courses for credit?" is a simple valid question. The edX Help Page (https://www.edx.org/help) says:

Will my university accept my edX coursework for credit?

Each educational institution makes its own decision regarding whether to accept edX coursework for credit. Check with your university for its policy.

edX's answer rather ducks the question, in my view. I see no evidence that simply taking the course on-line will provide credits toward a degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.

Those familiar with the higher (college and university) education system in the US will guess, correctly I suppose, that just taking an edX course over the Internet isn't going to get you any credits that can be used toward a degree from an accredited institution of higher learning. More substantive, less easily faked, demonstrations of competency would be required for such credits.

Since, from what you've told us of yourself on this forum, we might suppose that you have attended such institutions yourself and obtained such credits and likely one or more degrees, we might suppose you already guessed, when you asked the question, roughly what the answer was. You didn't just "get off the boat" from some far away, quite different, culture. This suggests that your question was not naive, but more pointed, intended to point out a suspected deficiency of these courses.

A matter of subtle wording also applies here ... starting your question with "So ..." further suggests to me that your question was not naive, rather pointed. Such qualifiers as "So ...", "by the way", or "just asking" are often used to claim naive innocence for a question that is actually being asked with pointed intention.

The covert criticism apparent in your pointed question (at least it looks "pointed" to me at this moment) apparently irritated Carmody enough to provoke a second question of the same form ... a question more pointed than naive. Carmody (I'm guessing) knew dang well your post was more criticism than simple question.

Here's a different way you could phrased your original post on this topic:

I presume that these on-line courses do not offer credits toward a degree.

Paul, your reply was more psychoanalytical then mine in the content but it became invoke cloture rule more then a closure.

Paul
5th February 2013, 08:15
Paul, your reply was more psychoanalytical then mine in the content but it became invoke cloture rule more then a closure.
:)

Carmody
5th February 2013, 17:10
for me, it is the shaping of a set of words, regarding their potential to be interpreted by other than the self.

That the message could have been intercepted as negative, and would probably be, by a majority.

To avoid the issue via careful crafting. Words are their own form of energy exchange. To endeavor to reduce tension in energetic connections. to understand the potential of phrasing and projection to wind up, instead of down into defuse.

To enable thought through defusing, instead of contributing to an escalation in blockage. To do so, is to help prevent the occurrence of blockage, which becomes key in the moments and times of tension.

Kiforall
5th February 2013, 17:21
for me, it is the shaping of a set of words, regarding their potential to be interpreted by other than the self.

That the message could have been intercepted as negative, and would probably be, by a majority.

To avoid the issue via careful crafting. Words are their own form of energy exchange. To endeavor to reduce tension in energetic connections. to understand the potential of phrasing and projection to wind up, instead of down into defuse.

To enable thought through defusing, instead of contributing to an escalation in blockage. To do so, is to help prevent the occurrence of blockage, which becomes key in the moments and times of tension.

Inflammatory comes to mind.

Kristin
5th February 2013, 17:36

I have the same question, and it is not a criticism.

Kristin
5th February 2013, 17:38
Back to topic anyone?

Thank you Pop!

Arrowwind
5th February 2013, 18:30
[Since, from what you've told us of yourself on this forum, we might suppose that you have attended such institutions yourself and obtained such credits and likely one or more degrees, we might suppose you already guessed, when you asked the question, roughly what the answer was. You didn't just "get off the boat" from some far away, quite different, culture. This suggests that your question was not naive, but more pointed, intended to point out a suspected deficiency of these courses.

]

Thank you Tangri for being able to read and decipher a very simple sentence written in common conversational English.

Paul this is really BS. It was just a question and you chose to read a whole bunch of BS into it. And BTW I have no degree from any University via on line credit. You are dreaming and this feels like a an attack based on thin air just because I started my question with the word so? You need to learn to read in a better tone of voice and not make such suppositions based on your own insecurities and predjudices and trying to psychically read peoples intent, as well as psychially trying to read their educational history, because you obviously are not very good at it, in at least this case.

This is really such pettiness on your part.

If you had bothered to ask me my opinion I would have said that it looked like a good opportunity for those interested in these subjects and I thought that someone who had more time would simly know the answer... and of course this would be a far better if credit is given for those walking the university path, as I currently have two sons in such a position. And why would I or anyone for that matter be interested in trying to discredit such an offer anyway? This is rediculous.

RMorgan
5th February 2013, 18:37
Again, more nonsense and more people fighting each other for something absolutely meaningless.

Anyway, going back to topic, thanks for the links.

Iīm interested in participating in at least a couple of courses, those that donīt require specif pre-requirements.

Raf.

Tangri
5th February 2013, 23:38

On the other hand reacting to a negative energy with negative energy aren't you make it stronger?
Being upset is easy way to react. Don't chose easy way:o

Carmody
6th February 2013, 04:41
I've done it repeatedly with arrowwind. The result has quite often been the same. I'm not perfect myself, no, not at all. I try to be better,and I try to not post in inflammatory terms and similar ways of expression.

it is unpredictable whom one might upset. for example someone else's expression..that I might find it a bit rough, with regard to dealing with the sensibilities of others. Sooner or later such things 'get to me', and I respond.

I have a friend who was on the net, back when it began, and there was a users group called 'users 249'. it was the dregs, and in that area, all rules where off. the most offensive, provocative and upsetting things could be uttered, there. Not one form of restriction. this friend of mine, the nicest guy you ever met..when he communicated in print, well..he managed to get thrown off a no rules area. Twice. Eventually banned. He just had a way about him..in print.

Arrowwind tends to rub me that way. In print. In person, might be the nicest person you ever met. My original comment was not a judgement, it was an observation. An observation on phrasing. In print.

To add, I was so bad, in the past...that one time I was threatened, with a gun, you know -death. Seriously so. All due to my phrasing, and how some interpreted it...which was not even remotely my intent. (It was something about the fish being good enough for Jehovah, I guess)

Arrowwind
6th February 2013, 09:34
This is a waste of my time. I'm out of here, but I will make a few private PMs to those I am having an issue with.