PDA

View Full Version : Half Empty, or Half Full?

music
15th February 2013, 06:47
A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes." She continued, "The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed Ė incapable of doing anything."

Itís important to remember to let go of your stresses. As early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down. Don't carry them through the evening and into the night. Remember to put the glass down!

Lifebringer
15th February 2013, 14:06
Thanks and well put. Freeing the soul, to rejuvenate at night, will refresh the mind to allow for solutions to come through peaceful way.

Logical way of our generation's understanding?
Many a wives tale lesson, flowing through now like little videos of wisdom picked up over the years.
The Basic instruction before leaving earth on the betrothed vows says never go to bed angry, when seeking answers for couples in trouble. When they curse and sink themselves lower and say hurtful things to each other, ego is taking over the marriage. A love that is serious and strong, must be put in the hands of the creator and if they take it to Him, he will be able to give them an answer. Just shouting never works, and when the two are serious in thoughts of love and worried about their committment to each other, an answer always will come through. After all they pledge to each other and to the Creator as witness. " Let NO man/woman put asunder," is God's way of saying, not even ego must come between this promise. A humble marriage and exploring life's experience together with someone you can trust, is the most wonderful blessing/experience we have to show love and practice it towards our fellow humans on the planet.

Stress of the rat race and meeting someone's corp deadline, is never satisfying, as meeting your soul's goal of being at peace within one's self, to quiet your mind and give rest to the nerves of the body. Don't hold anything, that makes you come out of your harmony. That's the reason it came toward you, and you have to let it go, to move forward.

Fred Steeves
15th February 2013, 14:15
She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

Ha! That reminds me of the worst physical torture of all when I was in Navy bootcamp way back when. Worse than running, situps, and pushups, was saved for the troublemakers.(LOL) You know what it was? Standing, and holding a simple pen straight out in front of you with one finger of each hand, until you were practically a quivering mess, and begging for mercy.

That was an excellent metaphor for clinging onto our little burdens you cite music.

Cheers,
Fred

westhill
15th February 2013, 14:24
I just might take a big drink of that water. All gone!

music
15th February 2013, 22:46
You, a trouble-maker Fred? Never! Haha I can see you being like myself when I was younger - always trying to find ways to quietly subvert absolute authority. I went to an (excuse the term) elite agricultural college, and we younger trouble-makers were subjucted to a similar fate, but the prefects made us hold a chair by the leg straight out in front of us for extended periods. I didn't mind, it was like going to the gym!

crosby
15th February 2013, 23:24
music, thank you for this. one of my youngest daughters (she has a twin) recently tried to kill herself. she overdosed on her medications. she was so stressed and pained by holding that glass of water that she forgot to breath. those words are soothing to me and i know that they will be soothing too her as well. she is out of intensive care now, but i'm afraid of what the next time will bring if she doesn't heed the advice that we are trying to convey. many, many thanks too you for this. perhaps this will help her see her strength.
warmest regards, corson

ghostrider
16th February 2013, 04:06
music, thank you for this. one of my youngest daughters (she has a twin) recently tried to kill herself. she overdosed on her medications. she was so stressed and pained by holding that glass of water that she forgot to breath. those words are soothing to me and i know that they will be soothing too her as well. she is out of intensive care now, but i'm afraid of what the next time will bring if she doesn't heed the advice that we are trying to convey. many, many thanks too you for this. perhaps this will help her see her strength.
warmest regards, corson

I know your pain, My oldest son tried seven times to take his life, I told him , until the spirit says time to go , you will go nowhere... we only think we are in control , there is no spoon ... sometimes evil attacks the ones you love , and leaves you untouched like the mafia ... be love , be patience , there is a better day for you ...if you need a friend , I've walked the road your on, feel free to pm me is you choose ... I am here for you friend ...no pressure no judgement ...even if you only need an ear to listen ...

music
16th February 2013, 09:41
Hi Corson, it's a while since we spoke and it sorrows me to hear of your daughter's pain. Know that there is love for you and your daughter here to take or not take as you feel best. I would like to invite you to The Sacred Circle (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?55216-The-Sacred-Circle). Read the thread through, the intent is clarified by about pages 10 and 11. If you feel it is right, there is plenty of loving, supporting energy there. Please know you can message me anytime.

Love to you and your family.

crosby
7th March 2013, 17:09
music and ghostrider, thank you both so much for your thoughtful words of kindness. life is tough right now, but we keep breathing and we move forward and each second that we are here is a gift. my daughter doesn't know how special she is, and how much she has to offer the world that exists beyond that glass. she thinks that by holding that glass she can control all in her environment. we are working with her to teach her to put it down, to step away from it so that she can see that there are so many other things within the larger landscape of life. so far, everyday is a struggle, the habit of holding her own pain is hard to break. but i do see progress. and for this i am grateful. thank you both for caring. and i do believe that visiting the sacred circle may be just what the doctor ordered for me.
warmest loving regards, corson

GloriousPoetry
7th March 2013, 20:00
When we begin to see through the eyes of spirit we awaken into something greater and realize that everything we are put through in this world is a psychological game created by a dysfunctional collective consciousness.

Four Fold Vision declares
another conclusion,that this world
is an optical illusion and when
appropriated within your own creative
fusion it becomes a garden of
your own amusement.....