PDA

View Full Version : A New Fish In The Pond

HORIZONS
20th September 2010, 19:58
What does "genetically modified" salmon mean?
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2010/09/20/genetically-modified-salmon/?hpt=T2
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/09/20/t1large.salmon.ts.jpg
Photo: AquAdvantage® Salmon in the background; a non-GMO Atlantic salmon of the same age in the foreground.

Tigger
21st September 2010, 09:09
Ewwww! I dun wanna eat that! It's so hard to get natural wild salmon these days, but I love salmon and trout so I’m usually prepared to eat the farmed stuff. But if it is also modified to grow into a giant salmon like that one there’s no telling what side effects might happen.

If enough people vote with their feet and refuse to eat manufactured foods like this, there would be no market for it and therefore no viability in continuing this insane misuse of biotechnology.

HORIZONS
21st September 2010, 12:23
If this gets approved it will open a floodgate for other GM animal products.

We Need More Research On Genetically Altered Salmon Says FDA Advisory Panel

A panel of experts that advises the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) decided on Monday more research was needed before it could vote on whether to recommend approval to allow genetically modified salmon to be bred for human consumption in the US.

An analysis by FDA staff that was released prior to the meeting had concluded that the AquAdvantage salmon from AquaBounty Technologies of Waltham, Massachusetts, was as safe to eat as conventional Atlantic salmon and posed little risk to the environment, reports the Wall Street Journal.

However on reviewing the available evidence, the FDA's Veterinary Medicine Advisory Committee did not vote on the issue but instead offered a series of recommendations calling for more evidence, for instance on whether the genetically altered fish might provoke allergic reactions and other health problems in consumers, said a report in the Los Angeles Times.

If approved, the AquAdvantage salmon would be the first genetically altered food animal to be consumed in the US.
cont...
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/201862.php

HORIZONS
25th September 2010, 13:06
If you thought the fish was bad, wait till you try the pork:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2010/09/25/enviropig-the-next-transgenic-food/?hpt=C2

Enviropig: the next transgenic food?
It looks like a Yorkshire pig, behaves, sounds and smells like one. But genetically the pigs at Canada's University of Guelph swine research laboratory are different. They are "greener", emitting a smaller quantity of pollutants in their manure. Thus, their creators named the species, “Enviropig.” And they hope one day the Enviropig’s descendents may be on your dinner plate.

“Certainly one of the goals of the technology is to produce a pig which could be consumed by humans and enter the food chain,” said Richard Mocchia, Professor of Animal Science and Associate Vice President of Research at the University of Guelph. “We have done extensive testing on the various internal organs and different meat cuts from the Enviropig, looked at the nutritional content and the amount of protein and fat and minerals and other things contained in the pig. They're identical to a normal Yorkshire pig.”

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/09/25/t1larg.enviropig.jpg

Celine
25th September 2010, 13:13
I too find it hard to find wild salmon... but i think things will get better soon..

Pacific sockeye salmon return in record numbers

By Deborah Jones (AFP) – Sep 9, 2010

VANCOUVER, Canada — After years of scarcity, the rivers of the US and Canadian Pacific Northwest are running red, literally, with a vast swarm of a salmon species considered to be in crisis.

Sockeye salmon, whose stocks ran perilously low last year, are gushing in record numbers from the Pacific Ocean toward their spawning grounds far inland.

Since mid-August, in a torrent expected to last through early October, sockeye have plunged and leapt up Alaskan streams, massed through the mouth of the mighty Fraser River in Vancouver, and filled Oregon and Washington waterways.

"We don't know why for certain," said Barry Rosenberger, a manager with Canada's federal fisheries department.

All experts agree that conditions have been near-perfect for this year's sockeye, a strikingly red species with a dramatic four-year life cycle.

Since they hatched inland in 2006, then migrated from freshwater to the ocean in 2008, the fish enjoyed such plentiful food of krill and plankton, preferred cold ocean temperatures, and a dearth of predators, that massive numbers have matured to return to their birthplaces to spawn and die.

"Salmon have had us on a roller coaster," said marine biologist John Reynolds of Simon Fraser University. "Last year we had the lowest return in at least 50 years, and this year it looks like it will be the highest in nearly a century."

The bounty follows years of intense scarcity that closed or restricted many fishing areas, mostly in Canada where the 2009 near-demise of sockeye in the Fraser River prompted Canada to appoint a commission to investigate.

It began holding public meetings in August just as the massive 2010 return began.

The numbers this year affect Japan and Russia as well as North America, and are shocking: in the United States, an estimated 40 million sockeye entering six Alaskan river systems through Bristol Bay broke all records, Rosenberger told AFP.

The Columbia River in Oregon has seen "the largest sockeye return since 1938," he said, while Japan and Russia are enjoying "phenomenal returns."

But the biggest news is in Vancouver, where the largest sockeye return in nearly a century is entering the mouth of the Fraser River -- arguably the world's single largest historic salmon migration route.

On Tuesday the joint Canada-US Pacific Salmon Commission increased its estimate of Fraser sockeye to 34.5 million fish, while Canada's fisheries department said native, commercial and sports fishers caught some 10.7 million.

Before the local commercial fishery wrapped up Tuesday, the glut overwhelmed local canneries and sent consumer prices plunging by as much as 70 percent to 15 dollars per fish, as people lined up at wharves to buy directly from boats.

The last major Fraser run was some 39 million fish in 1913 -- before disaster struck at the aptly-named Hell's Gate, 200 kilometers (124 miles) northeast of Vancouver.

After a railroad construction crew sent a rockslide crashing into Hell's Gate, more than 38 million salmon battered themselves to death against the barrier; only about two percent of the run made it through, according to the fisheries department.

The disaster was devastating in a region where salmon are iconic: local aboriginals are known as "people of the salmon."

Explained Rashid Sumaila, director of the University of British Columbia Fisheries Centre, "everybody (here) has some special attachment to salmon."

Following decades of conservation measures and repairs to migration routes, local residents are now expressing hope.

"These are days of miracle and wonder for those of us who care about the fate of wild salmon," wrote author Stephen Hume in a local newspaper column.

"This is what the river was like every year in the past," Joe Becker, a special commissioner for salmon with the Musqueam Indian Band told AFP from his boat on the Fraser.

"There was this fear hanging on us, maybe this salmon has gone forever -- but maybe they can come back, we haven't lost them," said Sumaila.

Still, no one is calling the bonanza of 2010 the start of a trend.

"Wait to see if it builds up over years before we get confident," said Sumaila.

Swami
25th September 2010, 13:48
I too find it hard to find wild salmon... but i think things will get better soon..

I dont want to dissappoint you Celine but I don't think things will get better soon.

Reason:

Most fishfarms positions are in estuaria of rivers. These farms are THE place to get diseases. These diseases will spread into the rivers. This has happened in Scotland. If I remember well many rivers already were polluted by these fishfarms. These rivers were killed off from were they started and totally "rebuild" and supplied with new pure stocks off salmonides. Half of them rebuild rivers is still in good condition, the rest is polluted again...
Sea louse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_louse)
Ten to twelve of these sea lice can kill a salmonid off 200-300 grams...

I have to go on a big search now. Long time ago, on another forum, I went deep into this matter and it send shivers through my spine...

Secondly, many of these farmed salmons escape and breed with wild ones. Not all will hatch but those that will are hybrids. This already is going on....

Then theres another thing that really blew my mind about the OP's article.
As far as I know these farmed salmon are already manipulated. I know this for years. In salmon is a gene that provide growth and there's a gene that slows down growth. The gene that slow down the growth has been removed, thats why these salmon grow so fast.

Remember that for every kilo of farmed salmon you need to feed them 1-3 kiloś of food and thus destroying foodsupplies even faster.

Will see if i can find the articles back. If I can I will post them here....

Be wise, go to local fisherman (if ones in the neighbourhood off course) and buy your fish, bottomfeeders, straight from there vessels. Dont eat that foreign imported stuff like Talapia and Scampies, its rubbish, FULL with anti-biotics. NEVER eat eels (bottomfeders) that were caught in rivers, they are loaded with Polychlorinated biphenyl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl)

Sorry.....:o

Celine
25th September 2010, 14:05
Yes...sadly i see your point.

And as with everything, its best to get as local as possible

Carmody
25th September 2010, 14:33
If that sucker ever gets out of captivity, and it is only a matter of time, then we are talking about unknown and unexpected levels of environmental destruction and change that may have no known precedent. We are talking on the level of the Asian carp in the Mississippi, and the zebra mussel in the great lakes. At the minimum, one might guess.

So we are now talking about purpose behind the origins of these events instead of mistakes. Not just the issue of natural species invasion but an unnatural species invasion.

As above, so below.

The genetically modified primate critter ...... makes genetically modified critters.

I'd say the circle is nearing completion.

Swami
25th September 2010, 14:38
If that sucker ever gets out of captivity, and it is only a matter of time, then we are talking about unknown and unexpected levels of environmental destruction and change that may have no known precedent. We are talking on the level of the Asian carp in the Mississippi,and the zebra mussel in the great lakes. At the minimum, one might guess.

So we are no talking about purpose behind the origins of these events instead of mistakes. Not just the issue of natural species invasion but an unnatural species invasion.

As above, so below.

The genetically modified primate critter ...... makes genetically modified critters.

I'd say the circle is nearing completion.

Maybe I didn't say it clearly enough but I think the salmons Celine mentioned are exactly what you are talking about.......
Been busy with, or working in fisheries all my life. I hope my boss doesn't read this forum.......

Celine
25th September 2010, 14:42
Hmm... much food for thought..

it angers me, when i see what they have done to our food.

Fredkc
25th September 2010, 14:43
All experts agree that conditions have been near-perfect for this year's sockeye, a strikingly red species with a dramatic four-year life cycle.

Since they hatched inland in 2006, then migrated from freshwater to the ocean in 2008, the fish enjoyed such plentiful food of krill and plankton, preferred cold ocean temperatures, and a dearth of predators, that massive numbers have matured to return to their birthplaces to spawn and die.

"Salmon have had us on a roller coaster," said marine biologist John Reynolds of Simon Fraser University. "Last year we had the lowest return in at least 50 years, and this year it looks like it will be the highest in nearly a century."

You would think that people would learn that nature, by its very nature, is naturally cyclical.

You get a run of hot days, and everyone wants to ban cars, and go back to riding behind a farting horse.
You get a run of cold days, the cry goes out: Federal funding of mass igloo construction for the poor!
Meanwhile the planet reacts in terms millennial.

There is nothing wrong with the planet, the damned fish, the pigs or the friggin vegetables!

Check that, what's wrong is Man, trying to play Mother Nature, because man cannot get a grip on his part; Production and distribution! So rather than manage what's ours to do, we're trying to play god and make so much 'supply' our disastrous attempts at distribution won't matter.

It seems like the same old tune. Man wants to micro-manage the part of others (nature) while not doing a damned thing about it's own part. What happened to scope? Taking the long view? Having a plan, working it, and sticking to it with courage?

Another strange thought;
Nothing in nature grows at a steady annual 5% rate, forever and ever, and ever.
But two things on this planet do; Corporate growth, and people's expectations.

Which seems more likely fixable; the rest of the damned planet? Or us?
Hint: The planet has already chosen ;)

Rant ends
Fred

Swami
25th September 2010, 15:16
Hmm... much food for thought..

it angers me, when i see what they have done to our food.

Anger aint the word......
BUT pure anger mixed with the understanding of love (which still causes "problems" in my head) is (Co-)Creation...
Now where have I read that in this community..?
So its up to us to change it, so buy honest caught fishies..

HURRITT ENYETO
25th September 2010, 15:16
What does "genetically modified" salmon mean?
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2010/09/20/genetically-modified-salmon/?hpt=T2
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/09/20/t1large.salmon.ts.jpg
Photo: AquAdvantage® Salmon in the background; a non-GMO Atlantic salmon of the same age in the foreground.

My god that GM salmon's a beast. All we need now is a GM fisherman to catch it :) LOL, sorry.

Fredkc
25th September 2010, 15:29
Hurritt;
the plain ol' salmon looks like an underfed trout!

Swami
25th September 2010, 15:37
the plain ol' salmon looks like an underfed trout!

I know you are way wiser but thats EXACTLY how the PTB wants you to think.............

Edit: you = one

Fredkc
25th September 2010, 16:58
Swami;
i meant it in the sense of what Hurritt posted...
It IS a "Beast"! And not in any friendly sense of the term. ;)
Fred

Caren
25th September 2010, 18:17
Hi Swami,
I'll be buying "Honest caught fishies" No "Beasts" will be served at our dinner table!!
We have problems with our own Salmon fish farms as well due to interference and greed. It is unnecessary and frustrating.

Swami
25th September 2010, 18:42
Hi Swami,
I'll be buying "Honest caught fishies" No "Beasts" will be served at our dinner table!!
We have problems with our own Salmon fish farms as well due to interference and greed. It is unnecessary and frustrating.

Thank you caren..
Love will come your way..

Swami
25th September 2010, 20:43
Farm sea lice plague wild salmon

Last Updated: Tuesday, 29 March, 2005, 23:21 GMT 00:21 UK

Farm sea lice plague wild salmon

The parasites live in the slime that covers the fish
The spread of parasitic sea lice from salmon farms to wild salmon is a far bigger problem than had previously been imagined, a new study claims.
Researchers looking at a salmon farm in Canada found that infection levels in wild juvenile salmon near the farm were 73 times higher than normal.
Sea lice are crustacean parasites that can also affect fish. Both wild and farmed salmon are at risk.
Details appear in the science journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4391711.stm

Wild salmon hit by parasite from fish farms

Evidence that fish farms can wipe out local populations of wild salmon is published today.
The experts who did the study in Canada also raised serious concerns about the expansion of industrial fish farming in Scotland, adding to pressure to move the fish farms out of the paths of migrating fish. The research shows, for the first time, that parasitic sea lice infestations caused by salmon farms are driving nearby populations of wild salmon toward extinction by killing vulnerable young salmon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3318467/Wild-salmon-hit-by-parasite-from-fish-farms.html

Save our Scottish salmon and sea trout

http://www.countryside-alliance.org.uk/images/stories/item_images/fishing/salmon.jpg

Countryside Alliance Chief Executive Simon Hart looks at the impact of fish farming on Scotland's ecology and economy: The film The End of the Line, which is based on Charles Clover’s extraordinary book, is attempting with some success to reveal the great ecological disaster man is perpetrating under the sea. A part of Charles’ thesis is that the environmental degradation of modern commercial fishing is out of sight and so out of mind. He uses the image of a huge net being trawled across the African savannah destroying the ecosystem and sweeping animals of all shapes and sizes to their deaths to illustrate just how unacceptable some fishing practices should be.

At first sight fish farming, rather than the continued over-exploitation of wild fish populations, seems the obvious answer. Unfortunately as Charles and many others have pointed out, under the surface the farming of carnivorous species, especially salmon, can cause even more damage than over fishing.

http://www.countryside-alliance.org.uk/angling-campaigns/angling-views/save-our-scottish-salmon-and-sea-trout/

Swami
25th September 2010, 20:53
Preserving wild salmon stocks

news that killer parasite Gyrodactylus salaris (Gs), which devastates wild salmon stocks wherever it strikes, is being eradicated in Norwegian salmon rivers has been welcomed by Rural Affairs Secretary Richard Lochhead.

The move follows the return from Norway of a Scottish Government team who observed at first hand a salmon river restoration treatment.

Mr Lochhead said:

"This parasite has wiped out salmon stocks in a number of rivers across Norway, with severe economic impacts on rural communities and angling incomes.

"If we ever suspected or detected this fish disease in Scotland, we would need to act quickly to contain its spread and its destructive impact on our world-renowned salmon stocks.

"We cannot afford to be complacent in Scotland when we have already seen the devastating consequences of Gs on wild salmon rivers in Norway. A Gs outbreak could see a collapse in our iconic, valuable and important salmon angling heritage.

"Scotland has taken a responsible, planned and proactive approach to reduce the risks of Gs arriving in Scotland and have worked with a wide range of other organisations to prepare a detailed contingency plan.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2008/10/17151940

Gyrodactylus salaris

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Img/295194/0092354.jpg

Gyrodactylus are small, leech-like parasites. Over 400 species have been described, from fish and frogs, in fresh and salt water. In Norway, catastrophic losses of Atlantic salmon were seen following the introduction of G. salaris to the country in the 1970s. As of 2001, 41 Norwegian rivers have been infected and their salmon populations effectively exterminated. These parasites are remarkable in that they give birth to live young. The daughter parasite is the same size as the mother, and inside this daughter there is already a developing granddaughter, in a 'Russian doll' arrangement.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/marine/Fish-Shellfish/18610/diseases/notifiableDisease/g-salaris

I dont want to dissappoint you Celine but I don't think things will get better soon.

Reason:

Most fishfarms positions are in estuaria of rivers. These farms are THE place to get diseases. These diseases will spread into the rivers. This has happened in Scotland. If I remember well many rivers already were polluted by these fishfarms. These rivers were killed off from were they started and totally "rebuild" and supplied with new pure stocks off salmonides. Half of them rebuild rivers is still in good condition, the rest is polluted again...
Sea louse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_louse)
Ten to twelve of these sea lice can kill a salmonid off 200-300 grams...

I have to go on a big search now. Long time ago, on another forum, I went deep into this matter and it send shivers through my spine...

Secondly, many of these farmed salmons escape and breed with wild ones. Not all will hatch but those that will are hybrids. This already is going on....

Then theres another thing that really blew my mind about the OP's article.
As far as I know these farmed salmon are already manipulated. I know this for years. In salmon is a gene that provide growth and there's a gene that slows down growth. The gene that slow down the growth has been removed, thats why these salmon grow so fast.

Remember that for every kilo of farmed salmon you need to feed them 1-3 kiloś of food and thus destroying foodsupplies even faster.

Will see if i can find the articles back. If I can I will post them here....

Be wise, go to local fisherman (if ones in the neighbourhood off course) and buy your fish, bottomfeeders, straight from there vessels. Dont eat that foreign imported stuff like Talapia and Scampies, its rubbish, FULL with anti-biotics. NEVER eat eels (bottomfeders) that were caught in rivers, they are loaded with Polychlorinated biphenyl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl)

Sorry.....:o

I was wrong, this happened in 41 Norwegian rivers........

HORIZONS
25th September 2010, 21:07
Well, I see the news is getting better and better :eek: Thanks Swami for the info - where is my microscope anyway?

Swami
4th October 2010, 18:00
Danger from Genetically Engineered Animals & Insects Exposed - Dr. Michael Hansen - Consumer Reports

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z35oUao8VV0

3:15 The guys talks about 2002

Swami
5th October 2010, 16:10
New Study: Only takes HALF as much Vibrio bacteria to KILL FISH if in low oxygen and high carbon dioxide environment — “Cell death” indicated in “only a day”

Louis Burnett, professor of biology and director of the Grice Marine Laboratory of the College of Charleston, and Karen Burnett, research associate professor at Grice Marine Laboratory of the College of Charleston, study the effects of low oxygen and high carbon dioxide on organisms’ immune systems. They have found that organisms in these conditions can’t fight off infections as well…

The researchers examined fish, oysters, crabs and shrimp, and showed that all these animals have a decreased ability to fight off infection of Vibrio bacteria when subjected to low oxygen, high carbon dioxide conditions. It takes about half as much bacteria to administer a lethal dose to a creature in a low oxygen, high carbon dioxide environment. …

“After exposure to these conditions for only a day, animals at the molecular level have given up in trying to adapt to the situation, and they are going into molecular pathways that indicate cell death,” says Karen Burnett.

http://www.floridaoilspilllaw.com/vibrio

shadowstalker
5th October 2010, 16:59
Pretty soon we will hearings reports about these poor animals some how managing to get out of the pens.