PDA

View Full Version : Mundanity - blessing or curse ?

betweener
28th March 2013, 07:06
Oftentimes, i watch these youtube interviews of people who are 'in the zone', be they human-alien hybrids, actual aliens, super soldiers (as unfortunate as that may or may not be ?), or just simply those who are in the right place at the right time, surrounded by all the right people, and their lives are more or less Amazing!, veritable Luke Skywalkers who walk the glory road of adventurous, dramatic, unusual, and dynamically stimulating full lives.

and then at the end of the video, informative and insightful as it is, i am once again left to my life - some joe in front of his laptop, who is the uncle who cleans house, in a house that floods out bi-annually, and tends to a dog that thinks he belongs to me, but technically doesn't. (yeah, im not a dog person.)

Thus, much like Luke Skywalker on the sand-farm, im left gazing at the stars at night, wondering which is arguably better;

- Life in the Shire, (to borrow a LOTR phrase), with ones own home and family, and small-time life problems like making sure the dishes are done and the dog is happy.....

- or the dynamic, daring, and possibly dangerous life of adventuring, of being out on the road/ in space, doing your gods-honest best efforts to not die trying to stop bad guys' evil plots and save the world/worlds, and/or other such feats of epic greatness ?

= also, is there anyone else on PA who perhaps feels the same way i do, even if just on occasion ?

Tesla_WTC_Solution
28th March 2013, 09:51
Somewhere, maybe in a Conan movie from way back when, I heard a phrase that went something like: "success tries the mettle of the fiercest warrior".

Too much success makes us gluttonous! And unlike a glutton, you are still able to ask yourself, "gosh, do I find plenty in little, or do I find little in plenty?"

I think you are very wise even to be asking these questions.

Most of us are too busy doing nothing important :( click

Zelig
28th March 2013, 13:57
Yes, I do indeed share those thoughts and feelings. I've been idling in neutral for several years trying to find a new path but have mostly succeeded in eliminating most of my options. I just finished a book that helped me understand why I am in this funk and where my past motivations came from. The PDF is linked here:

http://selfdefinition.org/psychology/Robert-S-De-Ropp-The-Master-Game.pdf

The premise is that a satisfying life is spent playing "Games Worth Playing" and that people such as yourself are having difficulty finding one that they can enthusiastically commit to.

Good luck in your quest.

betweener
28th March 2013, 23:32
Most of us are too busy doing nothing important :( click

ah, but you see, that's mostly what im doing too, although (also ?) not by choice, and im wondering weather or not us 'enforced onlookers' if you will (namely, myself), should toss the rules as best we can and walk the Glory Road (Make it happen ?), or be more thankful that our lives are (exceedingly?) simple compared to the lives of .... cynthia crawford or Duncan o'finnean, for example.

RUSirius
29th March 2013, 00:39
Thus, much like Luke Skywalker on the sand-farm, im left gazing at the stars at night, wondering which is arguably better;

= also, is there anyone else on PA who perhaps feels the same way i do, even if just on occasion ?

Yes my friend, down to the last sentence, we share the same sentiments. But for now I need to get to bed early, I have to wake up tomorrow and ummm I dunno, do something.

DeDukshyn
29th March 2013, 00:52
I feel exactly the same way! But in my own mental issue sort of way, I never even really choose one or the other properly. I mean I chose the "shire" route, but at the same time have no choice but to do some "adventuring" now and again. I try to be content, but I know that feeling in which you speak - I think most of us have it, and it is even so strong in some they get express it in less than appropriate ways, but they still mean well. I can think of a few past members from here.
I've sort of half concluded for now that enjoyment and happiness that I can create as well as keeping with some simple personal ideals (really for sense of accomplishment - humans operate better with a little of that), is pretty much ideal and the choices that fall within that ideal may as well be a bit varied, and likely need to be.

Just random thoughts ;)