PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of the Ants

music
28th March 2013, 09:33
I work remotely, miles from anywhere and often see amazing things. Yesterday I saw something that struck me as important, or even portentious. In a clearing I came upon an ant nest, hundreds of minute black ants banking up earth to defend their home from the coming rain. A large red and black bull ant wandered onto the nest, a soldier of its type, big-headed, with formidable jaws. The big ant was no doubt intent on pillage, and made its way to one of the larger entrances. As it was about to enter the nest, one of the small ants noticed it and latched on to one of the big ants hind legs, trying to keep it from invading. With one flick of the leg, the ant was gone, but in the next moment, another little ant (possibly the same one) was latched on to the leg. This one had a secure hold, and the big ant found it hard to dislodge. It had just starting rubbing its leg on the ground to remove the minor annoyance, when a second little ant grabbed a leg from the other side. The big ant stopped playing, and frantically twisted its body, bringing its jaws to the legs to bite the small pests. It wasn’t looking good for the little ants, when a party of their fellows noticed the struggle and hurried to assist. Soon, there were three, four, five, then more little ants holding the big soldier. It looked to escape often, but more and more little ants joined the fray, and soon, the monster was subdued, killed, and taken below.

The ratio of the size of the big ant to the little ant? 99-1.

The battle of the ants is a metaphor only, I certainly do not advocate violence, and believe it only strengthens our bondage - what I believe in is persistence in truth. The others will wake shortly; we need only persist in love and truth and refuse to be diverted to reactions that further our oppression.

In Love and Unity

sigma6
29th March 2013, 05:06
I thought you were making a reference to a movie I once saw (a long time ago...)
CwvRO0o53rg

giovonni
29th March 2013, 05:29
Yes ~ Ants are Amazing :)

will share this here ...

One of my first threads on the new Avalon forum ~ http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?254-Even-in-the-domain-of-insects-uneasy-lies-the-head-that-wears-the-crown

mcat911
29th March 2013, 09:28
When I was a child, I found out during a school lesson that Ants actually 'wage war' on rivals releasing mass organised strategic attacks. It's stuck with me ever since, apart from humans, they're apparently the only other species on the planet that will plan to attack for resources. Fascinating subject Ants :)

music
31st March 2013, 22:51
I forgot to mention as an aside, when I'd finished my work that night, the very last thing that happened to me was that I got bitten on the arm by what was probablya jumping ant. Might have been a spider, but for circularity of the story, it was probably an ant (felt like it), even though in the following days it became massively swollen and red like a spider bite. I wonder what the message in that ant bite was for me, considering the site I'd witnessed earlier?

Rich
1st April 2013, 00:05
When I was a child, I found out during a school lesson that Ants actually 'wage war' on rivals releasing mass organised strategic attacks. It's stuck with me ever since, apart from humans, they're apparently the only other species on the planet that will plan to attack for resources. Fascinating subject Ants :)

Wasps attack bee hives as well to steal their honey http://beediary.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/wasp-attack/.

One day I saw a spider with a dead hornet, a few days later i saw a hornet with a dead spider, they eat each other i think.

music
1st April 2013, 00:12
Species of wasp and saw fly sting spiders to paralyse them, lay eggs in them, then the young eat the living spider from the inside out. Many insects farm other insects, and there are plenty of instances of insects being farmed by higher animals. Certain species of animal may attack other closer related species to drive them away, particularly where they share the same resource, or where the intruder has the ability to modify habitat to the detriment of the other species. Humans, however, appear to be the only species that kills for psychological or emotional reasons, and since we have consciousness, killing for resources in humans is as reprehensable as killing for lust.