PDA

View Full Version : Danny Hillis: The Internet Could Crash. We Need a Plan B

Camilo
2nd April 2013, 19:36
The Internet wasn't designed for this kind of scale.

In the 1970s and 1980s, a generous
spirit suffused the internet, whose
users were few and far between.

But today, the net is ubiquitous,
connecting billions of people,
machines and essential pieces of
infrastructure -- leaving us vulnerable
to cyber-attack or meltdown. Internet
pioneer Danny Hillis argues that the
Internet wasn't designed for this kind
of scale, and sounds a clarion call for
us to develop a Plan B: a parallel
system to fall back on should -- or when
-- the Internet crashes.

Video (about 12 mins):

http://youtu.be/AOEQ9GteWbg

northstar
2nd April 2013, 19:46
Here is an interesting thought experiment:

The internet "crashes"... The government and their corporate masters bravely "rescue" the internet, but with resulting extreme restrictions on the free exchange of ideas, files and information. (we have seen this before, it is called problem, reaction, solution)... Afterwards, we still have an internet, but it is run more along the lines of network TV, with officially sanctioned, pre-packaged programming delivered to consumers. Of course, corporations will be allowed to peddle their products, similar to what they do on TV.

I hope this scenario never happens but I wouldn't put it past the powers that be to try it.

greybeard
2nd April 2013, 20:05
Plan B Start getting to know your neighbours--smiling.
There will be many talented, helpful, compassionate, people within walking distance of where we live.
I smile at one of the TV reality shows where millionaires have been that busy becoming successful they have not acquired the skill required to find a partner.
They get introduced on the show to the intelligent, young and pretty.
If the internet goes it will be a mixed blessing

Chris

Tesla_WTC_Solution
3rd April 2013, 01:01
I feel like the threats to shut down the 'Net are just feeble attempts to make us all STFU about the truth.
The Powers are more dependent on this BS than we are, because they OWN the networks and databases, etc.
I think the real truth is that the internet is becoming a place where not all people are welcome to participate.
They call us "contrarians" and "conspiracy theorists", "truthers", like it's a bad thing to be worried about ethics.

We are the new backseat of the bus -- those of us who don't adhere to the politically correct mumbo jumbo that prevails.
We don't get to use their water fountains and we don't get to go into their clubs, so to speak.

The internet must be claimed for the people, and only when enough people wake up to that fact will the 'net really be in danger from a shutdown.

Unless shutting down the net is the fastest way to kill people, i don't expect to see it happen

Arc
3rd April 2013, 01:22
Let's get this project moving.

https://projectmeshnet.org/

https://wiki.projectmeshnet.org/Getting_Started

Techies of the forum, I would much appreciate anyone who is already working on this to share any experiences, and/or advice.

Ellisa
3rd April 2013, 01:43
Plan B -write or record everything you feel is important on a piece of paper with a pen, pencil or biro! Send information through the mail where privacy is ensured and use land-line telephones--- Then enjoy the silence!

mosquito
3rd April 2013, 02:08
Yes Ellisa, I agree, and .....

face to face communication !!!!