PDA

View Full Version : not your children.....

crosby
10th April 2013, 09:30
this segment from msnbc has sparked contention.......

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/04/09/critics-slam-msnbc-hosts-claim-that-kids-belong-to-community-not-parents/?cmpid=GoogleNewsEditorsPicks&google_editors_picks=true

“The notion that children belong to a state government rather than their own flesh and blood is the most disturbing statement made in recent political times. Melissa Harris-Perry is dead wrong. It’s unfathomable that any true American could make such a pretentious and naively ill statement,” media communications expert, and parent, Angie Olszewski told FOX411’s Pop Tarts column. “The government can’t properly run their own budgets schools and public systems. Why would anybody think they could rear children?”

i wonder just how deeply this may sink in........
regards, corson

Timreh
10th April 2013, 09:57
This issue would meet a heck of a lot more resistance than gun control!
She kinda looks like a hybrid from Star Trek to me?

Here is the comment
N3qtpdSQox0

crosby
10th April 2013, 10:01
thanks Timreh, i agree....... i wonder how many people will start thinking on a different level because of this......and yes, she does kinda look like a hybrid from star trek. lol.....
warmest, corson

Fred Steeves
10th April 2013, 10:11
Sick little "gems" like Perry's recent piece, fake backdrops and all, are precisely why I tune into MSNBC for a spell every day. The mask is coming off, especially since Sandy Hook, and they are showing us who they really are, and who they work for. Morning co-anchor Mika Brzezinski even has "Dad" on the show all the time (LOL), just yesterday in fact, so how great is that? Of course FOX News is no better, just the other side of the same coin, but MSNBC is now just throwing caution to the wind, and letting er rip.

Hervé
10th April 2013, 10:25
John Rappoport's take on the idea being tested:

Bye-bye daddy, bye-bye mommy: MSNBC discovers who children really belong to. Finally. This burning question has been answered. What a relief.

Melissa Harris-Perry, a university professor and weekend host at MSNBC shares the wisdom:

“We have never invested as much in public education as we should have, because we’ve always had a kind of private notion of children—’your kid is yours and totally your responsibility.’ We haven’t had a very collective notion of ‘these are our children.’ So part of it is we have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents or kids belong to their families and recognize that kids belong to whole communities. Once it’s everybody’s responsibility and not just the household’s, then we start making better investments.”

How many ways to take this hogwash apart?

A “kind of private notion of children.” Yes, how primitive. I mean, only bitter clingers would ascribe to this ancient concept, right? Such parents need re-education, they need to move into the modern age and embrace many mothers and fathers, including I suppose, Melissa Harris-Perry herself, although I’m sure her schedule is already overcrowded. But perhaps she’s good for a nod and a wink between violin practice and soccer games where nobody wins.

Then, precisely what community should own your kids? Your block, neighborhood, town, city, nation? People you know? People you don’t know and never will? A coalition? Perhaps…the government? Ah yes, that would would be it, wouldn’t it?

Because, as any good collectivist knows, the government is the ultimate “expression” of the people. The government creates, manages, and sustains the collective. The government decides, the people comply. The government knows best.

Therefore, all you whacko parents out there; stop thinking your children belong to you. You’re wrong.

Hillary Clinton knew this. That’s why she wrote It Takes a Village, another collectivist manifesto (http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/it-takes-a-village-to-ruin-everything/). Except her community happens to be nannies, the Secret Service, the State Department, the Senate, and the White House.

Since Melissa Harris-Perry is discussing public education, you can be sure the collective solution to your kids will involve more vaccines, more psychiatric appointments, more diagnoses of fictitious mental disorders, and more doling out of highly toxic and violence-inducing drugs.

More sex-ed at age five and six, since you parents don’t have a clue about sex and shouldn’t be allowed to approach it. More instruction about “sharing” as the basis of all knowledge.

Essentially, a collective is a group of people teaching others about the primacy of the group. It’s a madhouse from start to finish. It takes the principle of the inviolate individual and burns it to the ground.

Full article: http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/experiencing-an-erection-of-collectivism-lasting-4-hours-stop-watching-msnbc/

Lifebringer
10th April 2013, 11:37
Its true. I live in Virginia, and the state "OWNS" the child until the parents go down to claim it in court from the time the birth certificate is signed by the mother and father, "if the state pays for the child's birith. You may want to know your state laws in your state concerning the birth of your children, if you didn't pay for them to be born.

Black people have known about this for decades, just like when they used to go into the closets and sizing shoes to the children.
It is always the threat of taking the child if they don't live up to their expectations if you are on the system. Took a long time for it to hit "some sects" of the population(exceptionals) but minorities have known this for like I said, decades. You have to draw a check because your man left you so you can survive, the state takes possession of the child until the mother or father goes to court to claim parency.

They slipped it in during the civil rights legislation in the late 60's, and the drama and threats have continued since. I once was under the assumption that the sperm and egg belonged to the parents, and therefore the product of them when combined aka child, was theirs too... Not so. They still want to own usAA be it through their system or some piss poor paying job where they are worked long hrs to pay the bills and there are just NOT enough hours to take courses, raise a family, when your man or woman just say: "I quit" like bringing a life in the world is a game. The way games were played when you're a child, is not the way the economic, biased, capitalist, non-compassionate real world, we are brought up in a bubble/fairtytale/Disneyland existence. Everybody is a princess, but you never hear about the peasants, until they are dying in the streets or have some virus they may be spreading that is interrrupting the profits of some company. Sick...

Whose vision was this anyway? Who stood to gain, by mindscrewing the world into a "fairytale land of deception?"
Gil Scott and Heron said in a song: "B MOVIE" in the 80's. Jill Scott's dad and AA poetic justice introduction to rap in the late 70's and early 80's.
"It ain't really live, it ain't really live, it ain't really..nothin but a movie."
This part was repeated at the end of the song. He talked about politics, 1984, and other little diddies we sipped our shots on and contemplated in the jazz clubs.

Atlantean Avatar
10th April 2013, 12:15
I agree with the concept that it takes a village to raise a child. A child can learn a lot from others in their community. The notion however that any sort of government body or school is better equipped to raise your children as well as everybody else's is absolutely wrong. I have home schooled my daughter from day one. Others in my community contribute to her learning experiences but I am ultimately responsible for her overall education. For me this seems as it should be. I am her guide in life and I will continue to be until she is ready to explore life on her own.

crosby
10th April 2013, 12:27
Its true. I live in Virginia, and the state "OWNS" the child until the parents go down to claim it in court from the time the birth certificate is signed by the mother and father, "if the state pays for the child's birith. You may want to know your state laws in your state concerning the birth of your children, if you didn't pay for them to be born.

Black people have known about this for decades, just like when they used to go into the closets and sizing shoes to the children.
It is always the threat of taking the child if they don't live up to their expectations if you are on the system. Took a long time for it to hit "some sects" of the population(exceptionals) but minorities have known this for like I said, decades. You have to draw a check because your man left you so you can survive, the state takes possession of the child until the mother or father goes to court to claim parency.

They slipped it in during the civil rights legislation in the late 60's, and the drama and threats have continued since. I once was under the assumption that the sperm and egg belonged to the parents, and therefore the product of them when combined aka child, was theirs too... Not so. They still want to own usAA be it through their system or some piss poor paying job where they are worked long hrs to pay the bills and there are just NOT enough hours to take courses, raise a family, when your man or woman just say: "I quit" like bringing a life in the world is a game. The way games were played when you're a child, is not the way the economic, biased, capitalist, non-compassionate real world, we are brought up in a bubble/fairtytale/Disneyland existence. Everybody is a princess, but you never hear about the peasants, until they are dying in the streets or have some virus they may be spreading that is interrrupting the profits of some company. Sick...

Whose vision was this anyway? Who stood to gain, by mindscrewing the world into a "fairytale land of deception?"
Gil Scott and Heron said in a song: "B MOVIE" in the 80's. Jill Scott's dad and AA poetic justice introduction to rap in the late 70's and early 80's.
"It ain't really live, it ain't really live, it ain't really..nothin but a movie."
This part was repeated at the end of the song. He talked about politics, 1984, and other little diddies we sipped our shots on and contemplated in the jazz clubs.

thank you Lifebringer for pointing this out. there are so many people that do not understand and are not even aware that this is a truth.
=============================================================
Fred, i agree. i want to see more mainstream flow. so when i actually catch an article that is representative of a truth, i want it out there. this is good.

warmest regards, corson

Wookie
10th April 2013, 12:37
Isn't ownership of a human called slavery?

Peaceful Journeys Wookie

markpierre
10th April 2013, 12:47
Well lets be pragmatic. All of the children of all of the dumb zombies in the world,

would be a pretty impressive resource for use, abuse, and sport. Just take them, what the hell.

Where would the dumb zombies be without the govt.?

Prodigal Son
10th April 2013, 17:29
The Pharisee Satanist Club presently running the runaway train just can't seem to get enough control over everything, can they?

However, since we have an epidemic of unfit, incapable "parents" these days who can't even conduct their own lives functionally let alone teach their children anything useful, the State stepping into take control of raising a child isn't a bad idea, if the State was truly interested in the welfare of children. Dysfunctional families end up being a burden to the State and everyone else around them. Unfortunately, since the Rockefeller curriculum was instituted, nothing could be further from the truth. Their aim has been to destroy families, and the Rockefeller parasites demonstrated this aptly by funding women's lib and getting mothers out there working so they can tax everybody instead of just the men. According to Aaron Russo, Nick Rockefeller admitted all this to him while trying to recruit him into the NWO Club.

crosby
11th April 2013, 12:15
The Pharisee Satanist Club presently running the runaway train just can't seem to get enough control over everything, can they?

However, since we have an epidemic of unfit, incapable "parents" these days who can't even conduct their own lives functionally let alone teach their children anything useful, the State stepping into take control of raising a child isn't a bad idea, if the State was truly interested in the welfare of children. Dysfunctional families end up being a burden to the State and everyone else around them. Unfortunately, since the Rockefeller curriculum was instituted, nothing could be further from the truth. Their aim has been to destroy families, and the Rockefeller parasites demonstrated this aptly by funding women's lib and getting mothers out there working so they can tax everybody instead of just the men. According to Aaron Russo, Nick Rockefeller admitted all this to him while trying to recruit him into the NWO Club.

i see where you are coming from, however, the question of why these families are dysfunctional is in the back of my mind. why can't they teach their children anything useful? where did this all begin? i am inclined to believe that a certain percentage of the population is actually forced (or maintained within) into their dysfunctional states by what they eat, drink, breath and so on. it is all very convoluted and very difficult to prove or change.
regards, corson

BIG CAT
11th April 2013, 20:15
As a foster carer i get to see what happens to kids after bad parenting skills have been used, sadly it's learnt behaviour and the answer is breaking the cycle and education.
some of the kids who come to stay with me have life stories that would break your heart and issues that take years to sort out.

CD7
11th April 2013, 21:01
As a foster carer i get to see what happens to kids after bad parenting skills have been used, sadly it's learnt behaviour and the answer is breaking the cycle and education.
some of the kids who come to stay with me have life stories that would break your heart and issues that take years to sort out.

Yes ive had alot of experience with behaviors, in my life, and in work as a juvenile probation officer and as a counselor in a day treatment program for youth. Behavioral intelligence is key...to me. I would even expect behavior to effect biology.

These things have been on my mind lately as i substitute teach now. I have a two week assignment in ALGEBRA!... of all classes-- not my forte at all.

I am to assist the youth having trouble in school. So i see how much time is going into x's and y's and how to solve a gazillion different types of processes with these letters, numbers..symbols. I thought the BIGGEST XY problem tht needs attention to solve is male/female relationships! I cant tell u how many times ive a heard a child say..What are we gonna need this for in life?? Bright kids! Not tht math is bad ummm kkk, but its streamlined so much as a FOCUS when there are so many more types of intelligences to cultivate..so many things at stake...

One of the teachers is calling the kids stupid if they dont answer correctly...can barely sit in my chair when he says it...spoke up one day and tried to change the focus to encouragement, but was told the next day to not interfere with the instruction! I suspect they dont know exactly why i interfered, but they (principal) will know before i leave. This is another ball of wax...but i empathize with your statement completely.

crosby
11th April 2013, 21:15
wow CD7, you have the patience of Job for not taking that teacher to challenge right at that very moment. i see that type of behavior, from the educators themselves, as part of the pattern of abuse and destruction of the younger populace. my children are all well out of high school now, but i do remember having words with a couple of the teachers involved in their educational process. i was judicious in my verbal condemnation of their behavior and i took them to task and even threatened one with a civil suit. i found that the more educated a parent is themselves, the better off they will fair within the constrictive process of external education when it comes to the defense of their own children.
regards, corson

Atlantean Avatar
12th April 2013, 00:56
I had an interesting conversation with the high school society and environment teacher of a girl I had been tutoring in the 90's. I had supplied my own text books to the girl for her assignment. I read through her assignment before she submitted it to her teacher. It was well researched and well written. She had answered all of the questions set in the assignment. I was totally dumbfounded when the next week the girl returned with her marked assignment. She go an F (fail). I made an appointment with her society and environment teacher the next day. It was a very a very enlightening discussion about our education system. I started by asking the reasons for her failing this girl's assignment. She said that all the questions were answered wrong. I showed her the text books which the girl had used for her research. The teacher immediately saw the problem. She told me that the school's textbooks on the subject were written in the 1940's where as mine were written in the 1990's. I brought to her attention that all of the questions that she had written, were about how things were NOW so therefor the answers needed to be relevant to the Now. She responded by saying that it wouldn't be fair on the other students. If she gave the girl a pass that would mean that all the others would fail because their answers were wrong according to how things are NOW.

Upon leaving, I asked this educator how she could be satisfied with teaching her students information which was out of date and that the passage of 50 years had proven to be wrong. She informed me that it was her job TO PROVE THAT HER STUDENTS COULD LEARN. So therefor it didn't matter what she taught them. They could learn the correct information later if they were interested.

bodhii71
12th April 2013, 01:41
But if nothing is done to exact a true change, than this rhetoric will continue to be the influence steering mankind into this collectivism mentality. Much like the controlled information we were all raised upon, I had no adults who to raise questions, nor any who

argued over what was really going on. While it may seem to be desperation, this "news" blurb, the fact of the matter is it is business as usual.

I would be willing to bet, a large portion of those who had seen this, were willingly accepting of this idea. By demographics, and thought pattern management directly aimed at certain groups of citizens, i.e.; many of those who would willingly tune into this

show. It may seem obvious it is geared to influencing thought patterns, but there is a semblance of truth mixed into what is being stated, meaning the care a community could aid families in cooperation. They just bounce the ball a little further by injected the

idea that children don't "belong" to parents.

CD7
12th April 2013, 14:45
wow CD7, you have the patience of Job for not taking that teacher to challenge right at that very moment. i see that type of behavior, from the educators themselves, as part of the pattern of abuse and destruction of the younger populace. my children are all well out of high school now, but i do remember having words with a couple of the teachers involved in their educational process. i was judicious in my verbal condemnation of their behavior and i took them to task and even threatened one with a civil suit. i found that the more educated a parent is themselves, the better off they will fair within the constrictive process of external education when it comes to the tdefense of their own children.
regards, corson

The thing is I did speak up thts when I mentioned the next day I was told not to interfere with the instruction...and including today I've spoken to two administrators who tell me this teacher gets the highest scores in math compared to his teaching counterparts!! Hummm don't know ....I know there are many styles of teaching...however using destructive words does not cultivate much of anything...perhaps I haven't been in the class enough..meaning maybe this teacher has a "loving" side or he's fudging his scores

Chester
12th April 2013, 22:06
this segment from msnbc has sparked contention.......

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/04/09/critics-slam-msnbc-hosts-claim-that-kids-belong-to-community-not-parents/?cmpid=GoogleNewsEditorsPicks&google_editors_picks=true

“The notion that children belong to a state government rather than their own flesh and blood is the most disturbing statement made in recent political times. Melissa Harris-Perry is dead wrong. It’s unfathomable that any true American could make such a pretentious and naively ill statement,” media communications expert, and parent, Angie Olszewski told FOX411’s Pop Tarts column. “The government can’t properly run their own budgets schools and public systems. Why would anybody think they could rear children?”

i wonder just how deeply this may sink in........
regards, corson

There is so much programming in this direction, it is not a matter of will the government become the "parent" but when... unless we experience a massive shift in consciousness - "we" meaning enough of us.

Atlantean Avatar
13th April 2013, 01:47
Here in South Australia we now have quite a few birth to year 12 schools. This also includes out of school hours care. At this stage you can drop off your babies and kids at 6 am and pick them up at 6.30 pm. You don't even have to feed or dress them or change their nappy. You just get them out of bed in the morning, drop them off and the rest of the day you are FREE of them,. You pick them up at 6.30 pm. They have already had their evening meal (babies have clean nappies on and are in their pyjamas), kids have done their homework. All you need to do is take them home and put them to bed. There are many parents in our area where both parents work long hours just to keep a roof over their heads. They don't really have the choice to be a part of their children's lives.

Kids are raised at school. They are told by their teachers, that even though their parents are probably WELL MEANING people, the kids shouldn't listen to them because they don't really know much about kids and are not really qualified to deal with them. (I worked in the system for more than 10 years - this is factual. Teachers are taught by the system that they are superior to the parents in knowledge, capabilities and authority and many genuinely believe this). The school is the ultimate authority in the lives of the children.

I have many friends with children in school. They have found their kids becoming increasingly disobedient. Kids have no respect for their parents because that is what they are taught from day one "YOU DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS BECAUSE THEY AREN'T REALLY QUALIFIED TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO".

The thing that worries me the most is the assumption of ENTITLEMENT by the children. I have fallen for this one myself with my older children. The child is ENTITLED to what ever the school decides at the time. Brand new uniforms (not hand me downs), all special occasion lunches, all excursions and camps, all fundraisers, monthly book club, a computer, the internet etc... If you do not provide your child with everything that the school wants you pay for you are a bad parent for DEPRIVING your child. (this is public school) I fell for it and even though we had 4 kids and a very small income, I made sure my kids had whatever their teachers said they must have. I went without all luxuries (including food) so that my kids didn't miss out on what they deserved.

The end result of this insane policy is a whole generation of kids in their 20's who are ENTITLED. They are the ones with the brand new phones, latest fashions and anything else that our society convinces them that they need.

My kids were a bit more grounded than most of their piers. They all had part time jobs (paper rounds etc...) by the time they were 8, or helped with farm chores. This I think has helped them understand the value and limitations of money.
On a sane note I have cut the apron string to 2 of my four older kids (they are learning to cope with reality as adults and doing quite well). I am also weaning my 20 year old twins off of the parental purse strings (they are in university now - despite not finishing high school).

My 9 year old I have chosen to home educate. She still does sports with regular kids and plays. I don't teach her everything. There are many people in my life who contribute to her gaining of knowledge and skills. The difference is that I get to have the major say in shaping her character and moral values. She got to experience bullying and peer group pressure the other day and although she was upset by it, she came to me to talk about it. Most kids in school have to accept it as part of life. My daughter doesn't have to fear being put in that situation on a daily basis. She has also worked, helping her siblings with their paper round since the age of two. She took over the round a year ago but has since become unemployed due to new regulations that say she can't work till she is 16 (thanks Gina Rhinehardt). I now have a hopping mad 9 year old who is very annoyed that she can no longer earn the $5000. per year to pursue all of her interests. I have told her to look at it as just another life lesson. She has since done some research and wants to start her own business so that she wont get the sack again.

In finishing, I think society (parents in particular) need to be shaken awake before our society looses all of its parenting skills. Not to mention the skills needed to form a cooperative society instead of one built on competition. In my world I have neighbors who hunt or fish, who are mechanics, builders, some can make clothes or cook, bake, preserve, grow food. We share what we have, we care for each others children and we spend time socialising, discussing local and not so local matters. Your neighborhood is a huge natural resource. We all have lessons to pass on to the younger generations. We need to start connecting and educating each other as well as our young. Take back the authority in our lives instead of complaining about it being taken away. I am authority tried to take any one of our children away from our community they would face a very protective community of adults.

By separating us the AUTHORITIES gain more control. If we stand as COMMUNITIES we become stronger. I still believe it take a village / community to raise a child. The only way to learn to be a community is to be a part of it. It cannot be taught in schools by the government authorities (all they do is brainwash you into believing that they are in control of you)

And don't get me started about retirement villages. The most experienced and wise part of our society being separated from the local community id WRONG.

Nuf Said

crosby
13th April 2013, 09:54
times sure have changed. when i was young and in school it was so different. it was a time when usually only one parent worked, usually the father figure, and the mother stayed at home to raise the children. of course during those times, throughout the 70's and up to the early 80's, there were no spectacular electronic gadgets that every child needed to have and preschool settings were almost non-existent. the family core existed in and around your family and your neighborhood. schools did not influence a child's sense of entitlement. many children dropped out of school and went on with whatever their dream or goal at the time happened to be. there was no real direction or initiative from the education environment that promoted the need for further education and many children preferred to do other things. there was no authoritative direction that crossed the boundaries between what went on at school and what went on in the family. and there certainly was never any directives that your child had to placed in a preschool environment by a certain age.

then i noticed a serious change beginning somewhere around the mid to late 90's. it started with non-educational elements such as picture taking. the schools all hired one photographer company to do the school pictures for the children. if you didn't have that company photograph your child, the child's picture would be left out of any year books. and, they came in twice a year. at the beginning of the school year and again at the end to do the child's portraiture. it almost became mandatory at that time to have to purchase at least one package of photographs twice a year. then it was all about clothing and electronic gadgets and having to have everything that everyone else had. then i noticed the changes in the attitudes of some of the teachers. only some of them though. as though they needed an attitude adjustment. it was really a gradual thing though and only became recognized in retrospect for the most part and many parents did not notice.

i have five children, all of them grown up now. my two oldest sons work together in their landscaping business. my three daughters are all in college. one will graduate in may with her major in music performance as she is a wonderful violinist. my twins, the youngest still have another year left, but they too are following their own plans with their majors as well, one in business and one in sociology. none of them are interested in getting married and having children. i may never get to be a granny..... lol.....however, perhaps it is all for the best as i see that so much has changed just in the time that they have left high school. even neighborhoods have changed. in my town, many people have lost their homes to foreclosure. they now have to rent. the neighborhoods change continuously. you never know who your neighbors are going to be, and indeed, some of them are not focused or good people.

things have changed.
regards, corson

Atlantean Avatar
13th April 2013, 12:54
I too am not a granny. In a different time I would have been overjoyed at the thought. All I can think now is how difficult it will be for my children to even afford to have children let alone the challenges of raising children in this time. My eldest is living with her partner of 5 years in his Gran's house rent free while she lives out her time in a nursing home. They both work, sometimes two jobs, and are struggling to pay off their car loans, failed mobile phone contracts etc... If they can ever afford the deposit to buy their own home, they will both still need to work full time for the rest of their lives to pay the mortgage, bills and the raising of a child. This means that any child / children they have will be in care from 6 weeks of age just like all of their friends need to do. They make the system acceptable by making it the only option for parents.

Seems to me we are no better than slaves who work all day, 7 days a week for our master. No time to devote to raising families. Many will consider it a relief that the schools / government take such an active interest in raising our children.

The only way forward for them is to get rid of their debts and learn to live with less THINGS. Better to be TIME RICH AND ASSET POOR than ASSET RICH AND TIME POOR.

I want to imagine a time in the future where I will have grandchildren and enjoy.

crosby
13th April 2013, 21:21
Atlantean Avatar, i couldn't agree more. at this time in my life i have no mortgage payment (foreclosure), no car payments, no credit card payments. just rent, groceries and utilities and fuel for the car and whatever money i have left over, i can save or use for personal items. i just do not want to play the game anymore..... i work in retail and i see these people wasting their hard earned money every day on so much junk. and most of the customers have a sense of entitlement that i have yet to accept and figure out! they also need to be led by the hand to what they want, they cannot think for themselves at all. and they certainly cannot read. i work in an office supply store and i see the same people in the store week after week that do not have offices, and they buy junk. they piddle through the clearance items and then complain because its not cheap enough for them.......i have to wonder what is motivating them???? one day i actually mentioned collective conciousness because crowds were all coming in at the same time and moving to the cash registers at the same time, it is really weird...... probably a mind control game that plants the seed "you need some junk from the office supply store, go and spend your money'............. "and don't forget to be a pain in the a$$".........
regards, corson

Atlantean Avatar
14th April 2013, 02:04
Our government's education system is there to create obedient consumers. They consume not only goods but also an endless stream of propaganda from mainstream media. Very few people actually question any of this. However almost all are constantly searching for THE MEANING OF LIFE, any meaning to life. My mother, at age 74, is the prime example of a consumer. She spends her days shopping - mostly new clothes that she will never wear. She rarely returns them to the shop as unsuitable. Instead she gives them away or puts them in the poor box. At the same time she has trouble affording good food. She will cook one meal and make it last all week. Then at night she sits down and watches the TV for hours. Then has trouble sleeping Many of her conversations to me are about how her superannuation will run out before she turns 80. She says she will have to die because she will not be able to afford to live. The super scheme she is with makes her spend a certain amount of her money each year or she will be penalized. I think I should teach her about the humble mattress.

That was a bit off track but the point I wanted to make was that we are educated to consume a predesigned life. Totally devoid of any real meaning. Accept living isolated in our community - her house on its 30m by 40m allotment is her home, her world. She doesn't socialize with her neighbors. She worked in a cubicle in a large office building for most of her life. Now she accepts that her purpose in life after retirement is to shop and watch TV.

My eldest son and his partner are computer GAMERS. They consume all the latest tech. and games. Their lives consist of going to work, cooking and eating their meals and playing 7 hours per day in a virtual world environment. They actually spend very little money on real world possessions. They have built a fantastic world in virtual reality. It makes me feel great sadness to see them living this way but in a way they are more aware of reality than most people. They have chosen to spend as little time as possible in the REAL world because it seams meaningless and hollow to them. I have seen the beautiful worlds they inhabit online and I can see the temptation. My son once said to me that he looked forward to the day when the power would go off for good. He wants to escape the virtual world but doesn't want to live in the world the way it is.

My favorite times are when the power goes out. We had a 24 hour power outage. It was wonderful. All of the humming stopped. People came out of their home and started talking to their neighbors. With all the distractions gone (no one could shop, do office work etc... ) it brought communities together. Sometime I too wonder what a time would be like without power. It would be harder for THE POWERS THAT BE TO CONTROL US WITHOUT POWER. School and work are not within walking distance for most people these days (if you commute for 2 hours there and 2 hours back per day - could you imagine doing it on foot ). People would be forced to do all of these things within their local community. With no TV to deliver the people's daily dose of brainwashing perhaps free will, creativity and initiative might make an appearance again.

I think my son might be right about how liberating it would be to live in a world without power. It word be tough going especially from the start but I think it might actually be very freeing. I would miss all my MODERN CONVENIENCES, but my hot water service died 24 years ago and I couldn't afford to fix it. I got used to it, raised 5 kids without hot water and now don't even think about it. I find it hilarious when is see people in a complete flap because their hot water service died 2 hours ago and they don't know how they can cope for the few more hours it will take to get fixed. We are more resilient than we think . I have a farm in the hills that I go to on weekends. I have no electricity, no gas and no hot water. My only source of water is from a spring. People still ask how can you think of living up there without hot water and electricity. I just say that if I haven't missed it these past 24 years in suburbia why am I going to suddenly miss it in the country.

I do know that the simple answer to our present situation would be for the power to go out permanently. We are like addicts to POWER ( me included - I like my laptop and my internet ) if it were possible to have just some it wouldn't work because we would want more and the POWERS THAT CONTROL us through electricity and modern technology will never have enough.

What we need now are some solutions because we already know the problems facing us.