PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hawking Predicts End-Of-Earth Scenario

Hip Hipnotist
11th April 2013, 19:18
"Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space."

Hey, Steph, sounds good to me! What, if anything, do I need to pack? ;-)

-----------------

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57579003-76/stephen-hawking-predicts-end-of-earth-scenario/

Muzz
11th April 2013, 19:32
It's a bit strange to be accused of "lurking" in ones own home.

How about we sort out our problems down here first before we try and export beer, sport, war, environmental destruction and Lady Gaga to our galactic neighbours. I don't think we'll be allowed past Pluto. :)

greybeard
11th April 2013, 19:38
Nassim Haramein said much the same in one of his videos a few years back.
Planet are unsafe places to be it would seem--not that im complaining.
Chris

gs_powered
11th April 2013, 20:06
I am guessing the centre of the galaxy is just about right, room for everyone and deep inside we all know the way already ;)

Project_Buggy_Beach
11th April 2013, 20:14
It doesn't take a high IQ to deduce this one...

Frank Hewitt
11th April 2013, 20:17
Sorry steve but i love this planet way to much to let it go because "i am a parasite"

Fred Steeves
11th April 2013, 20:18

Ha, so are human bodies! :lol: Not that I'm complaining either Chris.

S-L
11th April 2013, 20:19
"You cannot yet appreciate how beautiful your world is, how much it possesses and what a rare jewel it is in a Greater Community of barren worlds and empty space. Worlds such as yours are rare indeed. Most places in the Greater Community that are inhabited now have been colonized, and technology has made this possible. But worlds such as yours where life has evolved naturally, without the aid of technology, are far more rare than you might realize. There are many worlds that have been stripped of their natural resources and have become barren as a result. Certainly, terrestrial worlds such as yours are rare, maybe one out of five or six thousand planets contain the biological diversity that you enjoy and take for granted here in your world. That still accounts for many planets in the universe. But such planets are always occupied, are always valued and the native races always have to defend their rights, their privileges and their stewardship as they begin to emerge into the Greater Community." -- Allies of Humanity (http://www.alliesofhumanity.org)

It's difficult to argue with his reasoning. Spreading our eggs to a few baskets makes perfect sense. I imagine few people would argue his points.

What's worth considering is whether or not humanity will be able to significantly expand outside of our solar system. People usually site technological limitations in arguing why we could not, but they rarely stop and consider what humanity would do if the territory already belonged to others.

It's a challenging notion to consider for some as there is an underlying assumption that we can expand limitlessly - forever. Our economic system and culture of growth certainly seem to expect it.

We are being visited by numerous different advanced space-faring races. How much of a head start do they have on us? If there's anything worthwhile to grab (say... a nice little habitable planet), it's highly likely they already have it.

I don't think humanity will be able to expand outside of our solar system. Who wants to go to Mars?

Chris Gilbert
11th April 2013, 22:44
Settling on Mars would only become feasible after either extensive terraforming, or after the creation of "bubble" colonies that will likely be less appealing than just staying on Earth, unless those living there recieve extra compensation to conduct mining operations or scientific studies.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
11th April 2013, 23:19
"Friday" and "Cradle of Saturn" were two of my favorite space-opera type novels,
Hogan and Heinlein,

and they did present the theory that the preservation of mankind lies in the colonization of space.
Also in one of the books the Roman Catholic church had to settle a foreign planet because they got run out of society.

Omg @.@

aside from that they were great books...

I don't like Stevie's fatalism and in his decline his comments have become more and more explosively outrageous,
but on this topic he is spot-on.

I think capitalism is keeping us on the planet as practiced today.

If only a few venture capitalists exhibited a true drive to colonize space,
the estimated timelines would have to be revised away from the NASA fantasy and become the accelerated reality.

I am all for moving into space.

NASA knows that prolonged space exposure does damage the brain, especially in men,
but I ask, is there a way to insulate either with water around the cabin or with an electric field,
and perhaps make sure that only women (who take less brain damage from space exposure) that fly the plane while everyone else is in their cocoon?

seriously,
if they really wanted to colonize space,
there would be sacrifices... but sacrifice is a part of human history and will always be.

P.S. to have a heavy-duty spacecraft obviously you are gonna have to build it in space... @@

hello 3-D printers anyone?
print out a Starliner and jet!

Sunny-side-up
12th April 2013, 00:16
As a Material-Human-Being I totally agree, we need to spread out, for safety and grab even more of that gear haha.
As an Evolving-Soul I wan't out of the Martial-Illusion-Ream-Universe. Were making a stand here, we should stand fast and unite here on Wonderful-Old-Mother-Earth.
This is what is happening now. Our material time is coming to an end (Next Year or a Thousand or so ha). So no more spreading and so enforcing the illusion but carry on as we are Evolving, RE-Grouping, Transcending into-oneness..

RMorgan
12th April 2013, 00:21
Nassim Haramein said much the same in one of his videos a few years back.
Chris

Yeah...It´s not safe to keep all the eggs in one basket.

Not that I think the human race is really worth saving, but if we´re looking forward looooooooong term survival, space colonization is essential.

Raf.

Freed Fox
12th April 2013, 03:24
I have to think about what's happened here on Earth, between fellow human beings time and time again throughout history.

I don't want to see any alien race suffer like the Native Americans did.

I don't want to see another planet raped and pillaged like this one.

Don't look to the stars. Stop the slavery. Stop the deforestation. Stop the fast track to extinction which we have started.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080528140255.htm

This is a major concern because it's possible that only a little warming can unleash this trapped methane. Unzippering the methane reservoir could potentially warm the Earth tens of degrees, and the mechanism could be geologically very rapid. Such a violent, zipper-like opening of the clathrates could have triggered a catastrophic climate and biogeochemical reorganization of the ocean and atmosphere around 635 million years ago.

Youniverse
12th April 2013, 04:22
Stephen Hawking openly denies spirituality or the existence of any kind of God. So of course with his limted type of scientific reasoning he would not envision positive transformation on this planet that cannot be explained by science. He wants to send us out into space because the spiritless/faithless world he lives in only accounts for a continuation of the uncontrolled growth model humanity has been engaged in for about 7,000 years now. And if he did allow for "divine intervention" he would never openly admit it. I have been a fan of Stephen Hawking in the past so I don't deny his obvious talents. I just think that when you base everything on science you are missing at least half the picture.

The Truth Is In There
13th April 2013, 08:48
earth sure would be better off if most people left. only the other planets wouldn't. maybe it's better to keep the virus confined as long as possible in the hopes that it destroys only this one host and doesn't infect others as well.

christian
13th April 2013, 09:35
The only chance of long-term survival is getting wise and being responsible. Every here and every now. Reducing numbers wouldn't necessarily deal with that problem, during the times of Atlantis there way much less people around apparently, yet they messed up heavily towards the end...

sygh
14th April 2013, 17:03
"Friday" and "Cradle of Saturn" were two of my favorite space-opera type novels,
Hogan and Heinlein,

and they did present the theory that the preservation of mankind lies in the colonization of space.
Also in one of the books the Roman Catholic church had to settle a foreign planet because they got run out of society.

Omg @.@

aside from that they were great books...

I don't like Stevie's fatalism and in his decline his comments have become more and more explosively outrageous,
but on this topic he is spot-on.

I think capitalism is keeping us on the planet as practiced today.

If only a few venture capitalists exhibited a true drive to colonize space,
the estimated timelines would have to be revised away from the NASA fantasy and become the accelerated reality.

I am all for moving into space.

NASA knows that prolonged space exposure does damage the brain, especially in men,
but I ask, is there a way to insulate either with water around the cabin or with an electric field,
and perhaps make sure that only women (who take less brain damage from space exposure) that fly the plane while everyone else is in their cocoon?

seriously,
if they really wanted to colonize space,
there would be sacrifices... but sacrifice is a part of human history and will always be.

P.S. to have a heavy-duty spacecraft obviously you are gonna have to build it in space... @@

hello 3-D printers anyone?
print out a Starliner and jet!

In other words, if enough people demand to move to another planet, the technology it would take to do so (not arguing its existence) will go faster? ;)

Gardener
14th April 2013, 17:22
My thoughts on this subject are to take into consideration that the band width of our visible light spectrum restricts our senses from the possibility of a much wider reality, and that it is only in this bandwidth that we can decode in which we are dense and constricted. So is there really a problem? Most of us here have respect for resources, the ones raping will never respect anything anyway. Wave forms don't occupy and consume they move through. Going into space is not the answer, but for the transhumans anything goes right, prolong life in their anthropomorphic self and senses.
rant over:)