PDA

View Full Version : Math Question: One Plus Four is Equal

william6565william
19th April 2013, 20:56
it's something I encounted in Curezone as one of their captcha questions. I initially thought it was '5', but the answer was incorrect. I just can't get my head around what it means in terms of math (and they say it was BASIC math)!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated to how does that work out.

GK76
19th April 2013, 21:41
Did it specifically say "One Plus Four"? If yes then it would look for the answer "Five", instead of "5".

william6565william
20th April 2013, 05:05
It specifically says it in text that "One plus four is Equal" and I have to pick a number from 0-99.

Xeron
20th April 2013, 06:50
Taking a stab in the dark but i would guess 14...1and4?

GK76
20th April 2013, 11:57
Let's look at the known facts:
It is supposed to be basic mathematics, so let's rule out the possibility of it being cryptic.
The question is "One plus four is Equal", an alpha representation of "1+4=".
It requires a maximum 2 digit numerical answer.

So the answer should be 5, as you have already stated.

The question is fine, the answer is fine, so it must be the garbled mess of coding in between that is at fault, or at least an incorrect answer in their database to match you answer with. A typical response to having money as the driving force behind programmers, and as today's programmers use other programmes to code their programmes... well you get the picture as to the quality of output. :)

Billy
20th April 2013, 12:24
The question is not asking One plus Four Equals. But One Plus four is Equal My answer would be two plus three.

My thoughts

DevilPigeon
20th April 2013, 12:25
-----

Alternatively, if you interpret the text as being a statement rather than a question, then the statement is inherently false. Therefore could the answer actually be 0, which is the boolean representation of false...?

GK76
20th April 2013, 13:54
Wow, a simple mistake assumed to be a conspiracy... whatever next? :p

There is no mention of this being a cryptic puzzle... it's "basic math" as stated by the OP: 1+4=5. Therefore we should assume it is a mistake on the part of the captcha programmer.

Also at no point does it require a boolean response, never mind the further translation into binary.

Interesting insight though. What's next, the psychological interpretation followed by the galactic federation of light's intervention?

Sorry couldn't help myself, very funny though. :biggrin:

CD7
20th April 2013, 19:07
Was it a multiple choice question with other answers?

oh and ps....exactly how is the question worded?

DevilPigeon
21st April 2013, 11:02
Wow, a simple mistake assumed to be a conspiracy... whatever next? :p

There is no mention of this being a cryptic puzzle... it's "basic math" as stated by the OP: 1+4=5. Therefore we should assume it is a mistake on the part of the captcha programmer.
Also at no point does it require a boolean response, never mind the further translation into binary.

Interesting insight though. What's next, the psychological interpretation followed by the galactic federation of light's intervention?

Sorry couldn't help myself, very funny though. :biggrin:

I agree, more than likely a dodgy captcha. Still, it's a bit of fun to consider alternative answers!

apokalypse
22nd April 2013, 13:31
i tried this on my cousin during the road trip, all i wrote is One Plus Four Equal and she wrote Five. my initial answer is One Four. as i got home keep thinking about it and i find one issue with people never questioning and think. Look at some of the thing/statement of ancient past we have different answers and interpreted their own way but original intention of creator of the thing/statement.

william6565william
6th May 2013, 12:12
Was it a multiple choice question with other answers?

oh and ps....exactly how is the question worded?

Yes. You have to pick a number from 0-99 and the exact question is "One Plus Four is Equal".

Nonetheless, I've gone past that now and accepted the notion that it must have been a programming error of the captcha.