PDA

View Full Version : ANZAC day eve

music
24th April 2013, 08:58
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/music432/poppy1_zps3cd8a1fa.jpg

I send my love to all who have died in wars - the Aussies, the Kiwis, and the Turks on this ANZAC day eve, and people of all nations who have died in all wars. The Moslems, the Christians, the Jews, the Hindus, the Sikhs, all religions, the first nation peoples of all colonies, the athiests, the confused, the betrayed, the decieved, all the honourable men and women who believed in sacrifice for the greater good. I grieve for all those kids caught up, chewed, and spat out bloody and broken in the mud and stink of war. Remembrance is the first step in ensuring this **** ceases to blight our beautiful world.

lookbeyond
24th April 2013, 09:34
Dear Music, if only tptb had such empathy

Hazel
24th April 2013, 10:22
When you listen to the old ANZACS.. we never hear them singing praises of glory in war
they speak of the horror, the waste and the madness...

Great sacrifice it was.. and honouring that.. is all there is to thank them with..
"Lest we forget"
In Australia, in recent years the Rememberance has been taken up on mass as an icon of our Nationhood, in a way that is sincere.. but unlike ever before in my long life time.
(a decade ago and prior it was largely observed in a complacent fashion by most..)

What does this mean I wonder? Are we a country hungry for hero's and icons because other sources of meaningfulness are scant these days?
Could it be that Globalisation has diluted our capacity for personal meaning making and self-soveriegnty so much.. that we now need to 'hang-it-all-together' in worship of the representations of 'true values' more tacit from the past..?

Or dare I venture to think its a sign of collective enlightenment: that empathy and gratitude are growing in peoples hearts...

Can anyone assist my speculation on this..?

music
24th April 2013, 22:01
As a species we have largely lost the concept of rights of passage. I was speaking to a Gumbaynggirr Elder yesterday about the initiation ceremony of his people. The boy would go with the Elders miles from home to undergo the tasks and rituals to make him a man. When he returned to the tribe he would stand outside the perimeter of the camp until someone noticed him. To the people he was a stranger – the boy they knew was gone, and here was a man that they must get to know. The head man walked to the stranger and asked him who he was. The man replied with his new name, and that if it pleased the people, he wished to be a new warrior and hunter for the tribe. Women were considered fully formed from birth, and in touch with the earth, so there was seen to be no need for female initiation – respect was theirs from birth, but the men had to earn the respect of the people through trial.

And so we come to war. For better or worse, our society moved away from initiation ceremonies long ago, to be replaced with hollow rituals of disempowerment. The place of initiation for men then became the battlefield, and in history there was rarely a time where a sampling of each generation didn’t go to war and so initiate themselves and the other men by proxy. The more technological war becomes, the less powerful the force of “initiation” becomes, so perhaps we glory war more now because it has lost the “magic” it once held for the tribe. The thought of steel on steel has more psychological power than killer drones, and I would dare say, more honour.

music
24th April 2013, 22:34
I have been told most of you won't know what ANZAC Day is, here is a link:

http://www.anzacsite.gov.au/