PDA

View Full Version : Is Science is a religion?

apokalypse
27th April 2013, 00:47
does anyone find our science in mainstream and academic on planet earth is form of religion?

we keep learning same old stuff and same old theory from many decades ago like Einstein-Newton or any other great inventors. since that time we have any guys like those guys in the past who have revolutionize our science?

people seems to put their faith into science just like religion where they believe in their God and stories, they refuse to go outside of the bible or teaching. any new ideas require authority to accept that ideas.

interesting article... http://listverse.com/2012/12/15/top-10-reasons-science-is-another-religion/

the sheep said science and religion don't mix but i find that they have alot of in common and do mix...

Azt
27th April 2013, 01:10
The link is not working ...

william r sanford72
27th April 2013, 01:11
what happens when the 2 merge...this seems to be the trend were heading for and i agree a dogma is a dogma..with or with out math or scriptures or text.the beauty is we have a choice??? to believe what we want.nice thread.thank you.

Selene
27th April 2013, 01:19
Is science a religion?

Absolutely.

• It attempts to explain all truth in its own terms

• It has high priest ‘experts’ whom you may challenge at your peril, gatekeepers who must bless your thesis or else

• It requires absolute obedience to its orthodoxy/truth

• It discourages ‘alternative’ answers and demonizes disbelievers

• It is the last, final refuge of supposed clear minds and intelligent humans

• To leave science as the highest truth is to leave ‘civilization as we know it’. You’re crazy, that’s all. A sad apostate, doomed to eternal darkness.

I once intrepidly suggested as much to a very high Church of England prelate (you’ve seen him on TV) – that even his eminence himself must now ostensibly defer to “science teaches us…” He seemed a bit taken aback by my temerity, but after a few moments of consideration, conceded that I did, indeed, have a point. Great find, apocalypse.

Cheers,

Selene

Ellisa
27th April 2013, 01:26
In answer to your question-----No it's not.

Maunagarjana
27th April 2013, 01:30
Interesting article. Notice how all the defenders of the faith come out in the comments to scold the author. According to them, if you think there is any dogma in scientific thought you must not know how science works. Maybe some of them will think otherwise once they go against the grain of the scientific consensus.

I'm reminded of this from Terence McKenna:
8X6_0jJbcy0

ghostrider
27th April 2013, 05:08
sadly everything is a religion, look at movies, music, sports, politics, the math club, the science club, boyscouts, girlscouts, the masons, skull and bones, cap and gown, bikers, runners, even skateboarding saggy pants mushheads, they look to the hero , whom ever it may be, and say I want to be like that... Micheal Jordan, Micheal Jackson, Micheal Phelps, etc... the media sets up the leader, the pubic buys it, and it's off the cash register to make some money off the religion of mass marketing and mind control ... mess with their superbowl, their baseball playoff, basketball playoff, their march madness, their nascar, their american idol, their Kardashians, and you will get a foot in the rump, but pass some freedom taking laws and that okay long as you leave their religion alone ...

apokalypse
27th April 2013, 11:26
don't know why the link went down...

As a Biologist with a PhD in Neurosciences, I’m well aware that this is a controversial subject for both scientists and religious people alike. Scientists consider it ridiculous even to entertain the notion that science, a human achievement built on logic and reason, could possibly have anything in common with religious myths.

1. Science Requires Faith
Even highly-specialized scientists will often pursue a certain line of thought, and explore the implications of certain theory while rejecting others, based on nothing more than intuitive preferences, and their sense of what is elegant and right.

Most people who reject the religion they once accepted will claim to have done so in favor of the reasonable, clear-cut answers provided by logic and science. When asked to explain the existence of the universe, they’ll mention the Big Bang and M Theories; when asked to explain the existence of humans, they’ll mention evolution.

When pressed to explain any of the above, however, they soon realize that they actually understand very little. They were exhibiting blind faith – accepting the theories without comprehending them. If you don’t understand something, yet accept it as the truth, then you’re simply a Believer – and like much of science, you’ll find yourself well within the territory of religion.

2. Most of Science is Unfounded
Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Quantum Strings and Ego –all of them sound like plausible stories. But can anyone point out the Ego locus in a dissected brain? Or use the concept of Dark Energy for anything besides helping to explain the expanding universe –another scientific theory? There is no actual proof for any of these theories.

That’s right – we have no proof for the existence of 96% of what science thinks the universe is made of –and yet the theories explaining it (we call them theories to avoid calling them stories) we hold to be true. Why? you ask. Because we have faith

3. Science Will Bend to Accommodate Modern Trends
If you think scientists are immune to the pressure to conform to public opinion –think again. I am not even going to consider the announcements made by scientists under totalitarian regimes (such as racist “conclusions”), because I consider these to be forced aberrations.

Instead I will use the scientific approach to homosexuality. It was included in the list of personality disorders of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder (DSM) up to its 1973 edition. It was then removed – only to be replaced a year later by a close variant, before being removed entirely in 1986. Upon what evidence rested the changing decisions to include or exclude homosexuality among mental disorders? Public sentiment, backed by convenient “empirical evidence”, played a leading role.

4. Science is Based on Established Dogmas
Ever wonder how for centuries, the best doctors could insist on blood-letting as a cure – without ever noticing that their patients did worse? The answer: belief in blood-letting was part of the scientific dogma at the time.

Anything contradicting this dogma is simply rejected and ignored, or ridiculed for as long as possible. Science thus has the trappings of a full blown religion.

5. Science Has Its Own Priesthood
Newton, Darwin and Einstein serve as the holy trinity of western science. And below these are the elders: Watson, Crick, Dawkins, Hawking, Dennet, Chomsky, Penrose and Sagan. And then you have the High Priests: the Nobel Prize winners, the popular writers and the media celebrities.

Their opinions are received as sermons, and their statements are quoted like sacred texts. Ordinary people are ridiculed, if they doubt the interpretations of this priesthood. Even for scientists, questioning a member of a higher tier is done only at your own risk. After all, all scientific work (from papers to grant applications) is peer reviewed, remember?

6. Science Has Its Own Code of Ethics
There are state laws, and there are moral laws. And now, according to science, there are “laws of scientific conduct”. All kinds of atrocities are committed in the name of science – take a doctor, for example, who has to give placebo pills to a number of his patients in a drug trial, knowing that they will suffer or die much sooner than if they had received proper treatment.

But scientific advancement almost always claims precedence over personal morality. And – unless you’re a zealot yourself – its ethics will clash with your personal code of conduct.

7. Science Makes up Stories to Explain Our Origins
The Sumerians, the Babylonians, the Greeks, the Chinese, the Aztecs – all of them had creation myths, probably invented around a fire. All of them took their creation myths seriously. Now, of course, we have science to explain our origins.

You know what its latest version of this story is? In the beginning, there were giant membranes. These membranes touched each other, triggering something called the “Big Bang”. Sure.

8. Science Reveres Its Own Saints
The ranks of science martyrdom may be thin, yet its members are revered as far greater scientists they actually were. Take Galileo Galilei, for example, the patron saint of all scientists persecuted by religious orders. He actually contributed very little to science: most of his achievements were technical, such as tampering with telescopes. Heliocentricity was known since the 4th century BC.

9. It Casts Out Heretics and Persecutes all Other Religions
Science, like God in the Old Testament, behaves jealously against any other religion. So science will say to its followers: “You shall have no other gods before me”.

If you have any doubts, try asking an audience at a scientific convention to join you in a prayer. From that moment on you’ll be called a theist-scientist. A heretic. A miasma. An abomination. Just look up how Kurt Gödel was viewed at Princeton after circulating his ontological proof of God.

10. Science Thinks Humans are Special
It is understandable that religion might place man in the center of the universe –but for science to do so is inexcusable. However, a great number of astrophysicists and cosmologists are eager to talk about how the universe conforms to the “anthropic principle”.

There is absolutely no scientific reason why human understanding – above that of slugs, dolphins and monkeys – should be wide enough to encompass the universe. Anthropocentrism – the assumption that humans take center-stage in the universe – is rife in the sciences, as it is in religion.

http://listverse.com/2012/12/15/top-10-reasons-science-is-another-religion/

Mu2143
27th April 2013, 11:41

Violet
27th April 2013, 12:55
Sometimes I think that people who devotedly dedicate their life to parroting scientific findings are much more lamentable than say christian, jewish or muslim devotees who actually read their scriptures.

CD7
27th April 2013, 14:22
Yes.... :)

CosmicKat
27th April 2013, 14:44
Well, here's my take on this subject. Most scientists that I have come across in reading their material or understanding their view point are leary of religion in terms of... is there a God, re-incarnation or leary of anything that cannot be explained. So I guess the answer for me is YES. Science is gosspel to most scientists. Right?!

CD7
27th April 2013, 15:03
Well, here's my take on this subject. Most scientists that I have come across in reading their material or understanding their view point are leary of religion in terms of... is there a God, re-incarnation or leary of anything that cannot be explained. So I guess the answer for me is YES. Science is gosspel to most scientists. Right?!

Well in my experience, there seem to b alot of things scientist come across tht cannot b explained (this sector has its unanswered questions just as religion)---------to me- if i forget the "label" of the institution and view the overall picture....

Theres a globe of people (past and present) whos behavior and way of life are dictated by the dialectic of both of these institutions...it is also melded into education as well. So being tht ALL OF OUR WAY OF LIFE in ever aspect is molded by these, so called truths, they appear very similar to me in their negetive effects to us and how we view ourselves---very important! Its not so much sectioned off and put into labeled boxes---its all one beast. :spider:..

Lifebringer
27th April 2013, 16:01
yes we have a choice to believe what we want, however the dogmatic religious institutes expect you to quote chapter and verse to understand their belief. When the public choice is to believe your eyes or what they say, then we'll see how much the practice JESUS understanding. I've seen throughout history the churches working behind the scened to change public view/choice, and live under their belief, whether we want to or not. All programs instituted by churches, that are of a political persuasion in DC become the dictators of our laws, if they are members of the same church or Religious University.

That my dear human fellow man and woman, is the freedom our forefathers warned about. When there is work to be done for the country, Religious biases tie up progress because of beliefs, not the life saving measures/solutions needed right away. In some instances they want us to pray about something WE can change by change of heart or mind.

It's a bumpy emotional road, but WE will get through it. I just hope the phychos don't do the "tattoo thingy again" before WE all wake up to the present surrounding of corruption and theft by the rich and powerful who are losing their power and being cornered like rats before justice. The moves in chess, remind me of how the gathering of evidence that can be "illrefutable" is carefully done, to ensure the guilty are fully prosecuted and the public/world, can stand in judgement of these monsters who care nothing for the living, unless it's their living blood money accounts that demand more and more blood in wars for lies, and distractive terroristic fear tactics, so they can feed.

They will find the word AMERICAN stands for more than just UNITY, but a fight til the death, which will only free us, for we have nothing to fear, but fear to change what is wrong that needs our voices heard loud and clear.

WE DEMAND THE TRUTH ON ALL GOVERNMENTAL AND DEPARTMENTAL INSTITUTIONS WHO RECIEVED TAX DOLLARS BE THEY PUBLIC OR PRIVATE PARTNERSHIPS SINCE THE 1920's.

That is how much has been hidden in just this country alone. Our history in government has been to see it, think about it, feel about it and then move on, like they can't be touched by the law.

Need I remind you that Al Capone, Bugsy Malone and a lot of other shady elements in our societal history, thought the same thing. WE must press on for justice and incarceration/prosecution. If they have caused others to be abject poor, poisoning their crop soils, they should be made to clean it up. Most spoiled children expect others to clean up/cover up/do their work or fall on their swords because of egotistical prestige among their peers. Those days are over spoiled children, and you must answer for your misdeeds and no one can do the time for you, or save your own soul because you were too lazy to do the work of seeking from within and doing what normal, not maladjusted, humans do everyday, and that is survive for a new day. Clean up your acts and be responsible for what you have caused, beit global warming, melting of ice caps because of drilling and carbon emissions or destroying the only water sources for villages around the world for profit.

The time has come and there is no one to speak for them, but their own soul, and I've a feeling it will be a very short conversation with Source/Creator and God and Mother Earth.

CosmicKat
27th April 2013, 16:06

Well in my experience, there seem to b alot of things scientist come across tht cannot b explained (this sector has its unanswered questions just as religion)---------to me- if i forget the "label" of the institution and view the overall picture....

Theres a globe of people (past and present) whos behavior and way of life are dictated by the dialectic of both of these institutions...it is also melded into education as well. So being tht ALL OF OUR WAY OF LIFE in ever aspect is molded by these, so called truths, they appear very similar to me in their negetive effects to us and how we view ourselves---very important! Its not so much sectioned off and put into labeled boxes---its all one beast. :spider:..

I accept that. Well said.

grannyfranny100
27th April 2013, 22:36
If you do not believe science is religion, study Rupert Sheldrake http://www.sheldrake.org/homepage.html and especially his TED Talk http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/04/10/banned-ted-talk-rupert-sheldrake-the-science-delusion/

Tesla_WTC_Solution
27th April 2013, 23:23
Science means "knowing", or "knowledge". Scientia.

It in and of itself cannot be evil.

When people, however, try to limit the amount or quality of knowledge available to their fellow human beings,
we start to approach religion, or rather, dogma.

Deepak Chopra, for example, called the recent TED conference out for being "militant atheists".
Chopra believes quantum physics proves the existence of the human soul and the TED organizers exclude such views.

The ruling elite are trying to use science as a weapon.
But they will never conquer it.

We all benefit from the spirit of science.

Mu2143
27th April 2013, 23:47

Prodigal Son
28th April 2013, 00:02
Mainstream science is absolutely a religion, and it is controlled/suppressed just the same as the MSM. Anyone who tries to disclose knowledge not in the best interests of the ptb are blackballed into oblivion.

Ellisa
28th April 2013, 01:42
The two are opposed, though some people manage to combine them.

Science is based on the study and exploration of empirical facts that lead to discovery and knowledge.

Religion is based on faith and belief in the existence of God, the divine and the supernatural, and is complete in itself.

Neither are hateful, neither are wrong, neither are right. That's just the way it is!

Moz
28th April 2013, 04:41
like all human institutions or organizations science has its "sacred cows" and its "fundamentals". But on its behalf I must recognize that these fundamentals do change from time to time... these changes do sometimes involve segregation, punishment or even death for some researchers.

Many scientists (though not always openly) know of the limitations of the scientific method and also of the involvement of the power elite involved in science. But this exists in all venues of our modern society.
I do science for a living and to me science is not a religion. I do not speak for the rest. But im not the only one that takes science as a job/method.

Science will not tell me who I am, but on the other hand using for example the internet or taking an occasional aspirin has proven to be of help.
Science is NOT a religion, although the media and the educational establishment try very hard to portray it that way. But this is just another trap...

Love to all.