PDA

View Full Version : CBC under attack from a new front ...help needed.

DeDukshyn
2nd May 2013, 23:53
Hi all,

It has become apparent to me, and to a few other people here on Avalon that the Harpy government of Canada has been trying to sink the CBC for several years now.

First he cut the subsidies, forcing the CBC into taking corporate sponsorship money -- something they have dreaded as that is how media becomes controlled by private interest groups with lots of money, however the CBC has garnered some increased support it appears, until a shift in where the funding started to occur ... as it has.

The next stage the Harpy Government is trying to implement is trying to take control of the CBC by having his financial supporters of his political party do the financial backing for the CBC (after slashing public funding) ... makes me sick ...

During the Wiki-leaks scandal, there was an American thread published that indicated clearly that the American government has a huge issue with the freedom of reporting and programming that the CBC is known for, and stopped just short of calling them a "terrorist organization". Stephen Harper is obviously working for the interests of countries not his own.

For those who don't know, the CBC is Canada's public broadcast station. It is primarily known for balanced reporting and programming, attention to art, history and heritage, and putting out real articles about real and important topics, with an emphasis on Canadian topics, but very much international topics as well. You can check their website here and draw your own conclusions: CBC.ca (www.CBC.ca)

There have been scores of great CBC articles, and videos posted here at Avalon, I notice them ;) -- Many even from our American or overseas friends, which I think adds testament to the style and quality of their programs / articles / reports, etc.

This is extremely important to all Canadians and those who still appreciate freedom of press, especially for future generations.

There is a petition here: http://act.friends.ca/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=33&ea.campaign.id=20400&ea.tracking.id=272c8416

Please take the time to sign this and share with others, I can't stand to see a corrupt government trying to sneakily take over or hand off a public broadcast station for his and his buddies gain, at the expense and detriment of all those he has been elected to lead.

Thanks for your time.

Mike

chancy
3rd May 2013, 00:32
Hello Everyone:
At least you have the CBC on your TV. If you don't have cable you can't even get CBC now in this area and alot of other areas in Canada. They cut their losses and saved 10 million dollars out of billions a year in operating cost to screw millions and millions of Canadians. CBC was the only network that got special permission not to go digital at a specified deadline. Then to everyones dismay they shut it down. What a bunch of bow hunk that is and was! We pay the bills and don't even get it? Another great piece of Canada flushed down the toilet. Only the conservatives could screw up a country this bad. You probably have noticed I would NEVER VOTE CONSERVATIVE because it is the closest to dictatorship we have ever come to in Canada. Excuse me it is a DICTATORSHIP! There are no free people in this country except the conservatives it appears.
chancy

Flash
3rd May 2013, 00:38
CBC and Radio Canada is what makes the difference in terms of information between us and the incredibly censured American channels leading to completely biaised information for our citizens down south.

Of course, Harper would want to cut it and of course he will push private sponsorship. He is a dictator, I just do not understand why out west they are still voting for him.

DeDukshyn
3rd May 2013, 02:11
Hello Everyone:
At least you have the CBC on your TV. If you don't have cable you can't even get CBC now in this area and alot of other areas in Canada. They cut their losses and saved 10 million dollars out of billions a year in operating cost to screw millions and millions of Canadians. CBC was the only network that got special permission not to go digital at a specified deadline. Then to everyones dismay they shut it down. What a bunch of bow hunk that is and was! We pay the bills and don't even get it? Another great piece of Canada flushed down the toilet. Only the conservatives could screw up a country this bad. You probably have noticed I would NEVER VOTE CONSERVATIVE because it is the closest to dictatorship we have ever come to in Canada. Excuse me it is a DICTATORSHIP! There are no free people in this country except the conservatives it appears.
chancy

I'm not a big fan of absolutes ... but what I do feel, is the conservatives, as they are now, have to go, they are destroying our country it seems ... the effects on the CBC are just a subset of the damage -- let's try to start here to show people the damage being done.

I feel your frustrations!

Let's all not forget when Harper tried to officially change the designation of "The Government of Canada" to "The Harper Government" - -yup it really happened .. . google/youtube it!

chancy
3rd May 2013, 03:45
Hello Everyone: For the record the west voted for harper because he promised to make Canada a better place for all Canadians. Remember harper was head of the Tax Payers Federation which tries to keep a handle on government spending whether it's provincial or federal. Then he was in tight with Preston Manning in the Reform party of Canada. Harper came on the scene of the reform party I personally think because it was a way to get what he wanted. POWER!
Unfortunately after getting the reform party and the progressive conservatives into one party now known as the conservatives he was extremely self righteous. As soon as he became the official opposition in Canada he began the task of becoming a dictator. Once he got a majority all bets were off in regards to making Canada a better place for all Canadians. Things started off on the right path but once POWER was tasted harper turned on everyone that had supported him in the past. (Alot or even most of them haven't realized it yet)
Personally I think the best government for Canada is a minority government to keep everyone in line and no one can become a dictator as we have now.
The CBC is worthless in the regards of speaking for all of Canada since a large part of Canadians cannot even access it anymore. ( In Europe everything that is on the telli about Canada is either in French or not really about Canada. Was made up along the way.
As far as the west voting conservative it was absolutely because of the National Energy Program where the Federal government bled the west dry. The west will NEVER FORGET the distruction of that program on the west. However Premier redford from Alberta is trying to revive the program for who know why and it's called the "national energy initiative". Looks like it's going for the belly of the west which is the money maker for all of Canada which is the Alberta Tar Sands.
The dollars that flow through the province of Alberta is truly staggering! Only the Alberta government knows the true amount that they have wasted and peed away on various worthless programs.
Now you know part of the story why the CBC and harper both need to leave Canada and not come back.
chancy

Rozzy
3rd May 2013, 06:12
If CBC is so good why are the tax payers being robbed of billions of $$$ per year to keep that propaganda disgrace alive? Vote in another Trudeau down in Ottawa so he can finish off what his father didn't get to. The race is on to the bottom, I hope people like it when it all gets there because there will be no turning it around with some magic legislation or some charismatic politician superman/woman.

DeDukshyn
3rd May 2013, 15:38
If CBC is so good why are the tax payers being robbed of billions of $$$ per year to keep that propaganda disgrace alive? Vote in another Trudeau down in Ottawa so he can finish off what his father didn't get to. The race is on to the bottom, I hope people like it when it all gets there because there will be no turning it around with some magic legislation or some charismatic politician superman/woman.

Don't worry Rozzy,

Harpers plan is to sink everything Canadian and set up Fox News North to back him since it has worked so well for the republicans in the US, but this time on your dollars instead.

You need to look at the whole picture, and look at the overall direction.

I almost daily find articles and stories there that support many of our endeavours here on Avalon. There are the only media outlet around that is willing to write real articles about the flu shot scam, http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/11/22/flu-deaths-crowe.html, or the lies and coverups in media around health and medicine. etc.

Snookie
3rd May 2013, 16:20
The reason they gave Jack Layton cancer? He was starting to have a real chance to get elected. I don't think it matters whether its Trudeau or Harper or Mulcare (sp). They all take their marching orders from the same people. I agree, a minority government is the best option.

DeDukshyn
3rd May 2013, 23:19
The reason they gave Jack Layton cancer? He was starting to have a real chance to get elected. I don't think it matters whether its Trudeau or Harper or Mulcare (sp). They all take their marching orders from the same people. I agree, a minority government is the best option.

I'm voting Green for the time being. I see the same as you -- Liberal vs Conservative = Dems vs Repubs -- all controlled by the same interests in the age old mask switching games.

DeDukshyn
4th May 2013, 02:28
Hello Everyone: For the record the west voted for harper because he promised to make Canada a better place for all Canadians. Remember harper was head of the Tax Payers Federation which tries to keep a handle on government spending whether it's provincial or federal. Then he was in tight with Preston Manning in the Reform party of Canada. Harper came on the scene of the reform party I personally think because it was a way to get what he wanted. POWER!
Unfortunately after getting the reform party and the progressive conservatives into one party now known as the conservatives he was extremely self righteous. As soon as he became the official opposition in Canada he began the task of becoming a dictator. Once he got a majority all bets were off in regards to making Canada a better place for all Canadians. Things started off on the right path but once POWER was tasted harper turned on everyone that had supported him in the past. (Alot or even most of them haven't realized it yet)
Personally I think the best government for Canada is a minority government to keep everyone in line and no one can become a dictator as we have now.
The CBC is worthless in the regards of speaking for all of Canada since a large part of Canadians cannot even access it anymore. ( In Europe everything that is on the telli about Canada is either in French or not really about Canada. Was made up along the way.
As far as the west voting conservative it was absolutely because of the National Energy Program where the Federal government bled the west dry. The west will NEVER FORGET the distruction of that program on the west. However Premier redford from Alberta is trying to revive the program for who know why and it's called the "national energy initiative". Looks like it's going for the belly of the west which is the money maker for all of Canada which is the Alberta Tar Sands.
The dollars that flow through the province of Alberta is truly staggering! Only the Alberta government knows the true amount that they have wasted and peed away on various worthless programs.
Now you know part of the story why the CBC and harper both need to leave Canada and not come back.
chancy

hi Chancy,

I'll agree that Harper needs to leave, but I'll argue that the CBC needs to lose both it's corporate and it's political sponsorshorship. This is what the CBC is currrently protesting against, and not really anything else. It needs to get back to truly being Canada's public broadcast station again. It never pretended to be anything else. The tragedy is the plan to replace the CBC with tax dollar funded, foriegn owned (Murdoch) TV station in to replace it ... unlesss thats your side of the fence ...

I'll agree, as an Albertan, that Alberta's Rockefeller $$$ is controlling Ottawa. No doubt. That's what I am here for. What does the CBC say aboyut it? My point is we have some balanced reporting still (check my links and search Avalon for CBC article links), and if Harper gets his way, it will be a FOX news style stations all our "billions" go to instead.

Griff
4th May 2013, 11:42
I have noted a change in CBC reporting over the past 2-3 years. They do not do the same kind of in-depth investigative reporting as in the past, especially if it shows gov't policy or actions in an unflattering light. Whether this is due to funding cut-backs or political influence I don't know, probably a bit of both.
One thing that is blatantly obvious: Pro-"Harper Gov't" shills have almost taken over the comments section on the CBC website. It is my main site for "mainstream" news and I read the comments often. It is easy to pick them out, they often repeat approved "talking points" verbatim, even when it is totally incongruous and/or inconsistent with other comments they are attempting to address. Interestingly, this became much more prevalent about 2 years ago, right around when Harper got his majority.
The Harper "Cons" want iron clad control over the message. The CBC is just one part of it. They are now looking to revise history by controlling what is taught in grade school. Not to mention what they do to muzzle scientific research. Canada is quickly becoming a fascist state.
Worst. Canadian Government. Ever.

DeDukshyn
4th May 2013, 21:49
I have noted a change in CBC reporting over the past 2-3 years. They do not do the same kind of in-depth investigative reporting as in the past, especially if it shows gov't policy or actions in an unflattering light. Whether this is due to funding cut-backs or political influence I don't know, probably a bit of both.
One thing that is blatantly obvious: Pro-"Harper Gov't" shills have almost taken over the comments section on the CBC website. It is my main site for "mainstream" news and I read the comments often. It is easy to pick them out, they often repeat approved "talking points" verbatim, even when it is totally incongruous and/or inconsistent with other comments they are attempting to address. Interestingly, this became much more prevalent about 2 years ago, right around when Harper got his majority.
The Harper "Cons" want iron clad control over the message. The CBC is just one part of it. They are now looking to revise history by controlling what is taught in grade school. Not to mention what they do to muzzle scientific research. Canada is quickly becoming a fascist state.
Worst. Canadian Government. Ever.

This is exactly what this thread and the petition is all about, to help free the CBC from it's political and corporate clutches. There are still some very fine articles that come out of the CBC (one I linked to above), but those are dwindling in number, as a direct result of the attacks it has come under in attempt to politically, and corporately control it. This is why the CBC is asking for help. That concept seems to have been lost a on a few here, or I guess they commented without actually reading anything as often happens.

chancy
5th May 2013, 04:54
by DeDukshyn Post #12
This is why the CBC is asking for help. That concept seems to have been lost a on a few here, or I guess they commented without actually reading anything as often happens.

Hello Everyone and DeDukshyn (Mike):

PS I actually have read way way too much about cbc until my stomach gets sick with the name cbc

It appears that there is a line drawn between the posters on this thread. The ones that think the cbc is an honorable corporation and the ones that think it should go the way of the Canadian Geese and not come back....
I for one think the latter for the very reason the cbc are untrustable and have no honor. After I found out that cbc had decided to shut down in our area with no ability to even ask why I took it upon myself to call them and ask if it was possible to rent, lease or purchase their tower so that all of us could enjoy the cbc as another station along with the other 2 we still have. I was gratiously given a number of the head honcho in charge of all towers in 3 provinces. It was told to me that cbc were more than happy to keep cbc running in our area with consumers help. Well to make a long story very, very short the head honcho didn't even have the deciency to return my call. I was blown off like the dead petals of a dandilion. Not only did cbc have the audacity to ignore hundreds of thousands, if not millions of loyal customers but they blew most of us off that were "trying to help them"

I have no idea what you had to do or have done to keep cbc in your home DeDukshyn (Mike) but I for one not only stood up for everyone in our area but tried to make things happen since cbc wanted to save a measly 10 million out of billions of our tax dollars by shutting us out of cbc which is canada broadcasting corporation for those that are not familiar with cbc.
cbc does NOT DESERVE any help since when many many many loyal cbc customers got the same kick in the *ss as myself. If you research what happened you will see that cbc needs to be completely shut down since they do not serve all canadian people. They only serve the huge urban areas and if you happen to live in an area of less than a million your chances are slim to none to get cbc without cable.
chancy

Youniverse
5th May 2013, 05:24
by DeDukshyn Post #12
This is why the CBC is asking for help. That concept seems to have been lost a on a few here, or I guess they commented without actually reading anything as often happens.

Hello Everyone and DeDukshyn (Mike):

PS I actually have read way way too much about cbc until my stomach gets sick with the name cbc

It appears that there is a line drawn between the posters on this thread. The ones that think the cbc is an honorable corporation and the ones that think it should go the way of the Canadian Geese and not come back....
I for one think the latter for the very reason the cbc are untrustable and have no honor. After I found out that cbc had decided to shut down in our area with no ability to even ask why I took it upon myself to call them and ask if it was possible to rent, lease or purchase their tower so that all of us could enjoy the cbc as another station along with the other 2 we still have. I was gratiously given a number of the head honcho in charge of all towers in 3 provinces. It was told to me that cbc were more than happy to keep cbc running in our area with consumers help. Well to make a long story very, very short the head honcho didn't even have the deciency to return my call. I was blown off like the dead petals of a dandilion. Not only did cbc have the audacity to ignore hundreds of thousands, if not millions of loyal customers but they blew most of us off that were "trying to help them"

I have no idea what you had to do or have done to keep cbc in your home DeDukshyn (Mike) but I for one not only stood up for everyone in our area but tried to make things happen since cbc wanted to save a measly 10 million out of billions of our tax dollars by shutting us out of cbc which is canada broadcasting corporation for those that are not familiar with cbc.
cbc does NOT DESERVE any help since when many many many loyal cbc customers got the same kick in the *ss as myself. If you research what happened you will see that cbc needs to be completely shut down since they do not serve all canadian people. They only serve the huge urban areas and if you happen to live in an area of less than a million your chances are slim to none to get cbc without cable.
chancy

Didn't Dedukshyn explain how the CBC was basically forced by the Harper government to change it's funding policies and on and on? If that's true, what you're saying doesn't hold any water.

chancy
5th May 2013, 17:55
Youniverse wrote: "Didn't Dedukshyn explain how the CBC was basically forced by the Harper government to change it's funding policies and on and on? If that's true, what you're saying doesn't hold any water."

Hello Youniverse:
Please understand I am not defending cbc or the harper government. I personally think both of them are not living up to Canadian law and values. Everytime someones hand comes out for a handout we have people wanting to give them money. The cbc does NOT need any help financially! The harper government does NOT need any help financially.
This is absolutely ludicrous to think that either organization needs a hand out. What we are talking about is organizations that have shut the door on transparency and my argument does hold water.
Have you talked to cbc or the harper government? Have you tried to change things within either organization?
I have and it's impossible! Not because of lack of funding with both organizatons but due to lack of integrity and honesty. Not because of the ability to get the message out but because they are running the country so that no one can even say a thing without being painted as a "terrorist"
I suggest if you haven't tried to make a change for good in the cbc or harper government just try to and see just how far you will get. I know the answer but apparently you haven't received an answer yet except "donate money."
Good luck you will need it!
chancy

soleil
6th May 2013, 15:09
signed the petition you posted. there is another one on avaaz.org as well that i signed this morning.

DeDukshyn
6th May 2013, 17:02
signed the petition you posted. there is another one on avaaz.org as well that i signed this morning.

I saw that one too! From Avaaz this time -- here's the link for others: http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_cbc_2013_b/

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Youniverse wrote: "Didn't Dedukshyn explain how the CBC was basically forced by the Harper government to change it's funding policies and on and on? If that's true, what you're saying doesn't hold any water."

Hello Youniverse:
Please understand I am not defending cbc or the harper government. I personally think both of them are not living up to Canadian law and values. Everytime someones hand comes out for a handout we have people wanting to give them money. The cbc does NOT need any help financially! The harper government does NOT need any help financially.
This is absolutely ludicrous to think that either organization needs a hand out. What we are talking about is organizations that have shut the door on transparency and my argument does hold water.
Have you talked to cbc or the harper government? Have you tried to change things within either organization?
I have and it's impossible! Not because of lack of funding with both organizatons but due to lack of integrity and honesty. Not because of the ability to get the message out but because they are running the country so that no one can even say a thing without being painted as a "terrorist"
I suggest if you haven't tried to make a change for good in the cbc or harper government just try to and see just how far you will get. I know the answer but apparently you haven't received an answer yet except "donate money."
Good luck you will need it!
chancy

Chancy -- no one wants a hand out -- you obviously don't know what any of this is about ... try post one and follow the links for a clue. It's about speaking up for yourself as Canadian for the values you say are being lost. :facepalm:

DeDukshyn
6th May 2013, 17:07
In the media:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04/30/bill-c60-cbc-harper_n_3187821.html

chancy
7th May 2013, 00:01
by DeDukshyn;
"Chancy -- no one wants a hand out -- you obviously don't know what any of this is about ... try post one and follow the links for a clue. It's about speaking up for yourself as Canadian for the values you say are being lost. :facepalm:

Hello DeDukshyn: I always am intrigued by how you know what I am thinking?!? Because I completely disagree with you and this thread you are always telling me "I don't know what I am talking about".
Other media can survive without petitions, complaining and receiving billions from the public purse each and every year. ( I don't know what all this money given to cbc is if it isn't a hand out!?! )
As I have said everytime I write something on this thread.
cbc and harper can have each other. As they shut the door behind themselves on the way out of Canada. We don't need either of them.
Just for the record since you think I don't know what I am talking about here is the article you are referring to:
Complainers and more complainers! Too many people in Canada afraid to tell the truth! Oh ya signing a petition will do alot of good. Wrong!
Once again so you understand my writing I will say it again for the benefit of all the Canadians who are proud Canadians and don't need the cbc or the harper government or to sign any more petitions to help another government agency known as the cbc.
"cbc and harper can have each other. As they shut the door behind themselves on the way out of Canada. We don't need either of them."
chancy
PS you don't have to tell me again that I don't know what I am talking about because I know exactly what I am talking about! You just don't want anything but BS on this thread. As soon as someone says it the way it is you try to discredit them. Sounds exactly like a politician to me. I will always tell the truth even on your thread!

"Bill C-60: Tories Quietly Taking Control Of CBC, Group Alleges
The Huffington Post Canada | Posted: 04/30/2013 4:35 pm EDT
Share on Google+
Tories Control Cbc
Follow:
CBC Tories, Bill c-60, Bill c60, Budget Bill 2013 Canada, Canada Budget 2013, Cbc, Cbc Board Conservative Donations, httpwwwhuffingtonpostca20130430billc60cbcharpern3187821html, Pierre-Karl Peladeau, Stephen Harper Cbc, Tories Take More Control Of Cbc, Canada Business News

The Harper government is quietly seizing greater control of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, while a public advocacy group accuses the Tories of stacking the CBC’s board with political allies.

Bill C-60, the Tories’ budget implementation bill, includes a clause that allows the prime minister’s cabinet to approve salaries, working conditions and collective bargaining positions for the CBC, The Hill Times reports.

The move, buried at the back of the 111-page bill, “appears to contradict a longstanding arm’s-length relationship between the independent CBC and any government in power,” the newspaper said.

The CBC would now be required to get approval from Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Treasury Board Committee for any collective bargaining agreement the broadcaster reaches with its employees. The Treasury Board would also have the power to approve or deny pay and benefits for non-unionized employees.

The news comes as public interest group Friends of Canadian Broadcasting issued a statement accusing the Tories of “stacking the [CBC’s] board with Conservative supporters.”

Citing data from Elections Canada, Friends said eight of the board’s 11 current members have donated to the Conservative Party of Canada, which the group saw as a sign the government has taken greater control of the CBC.

The new powers over CBC pay and the heavy presence of Conservative Party donors “will further undermine the CBC’s independence from government,” Friends said.

The group identified only one of the reported donors: Remi Racine, the chair of CBC’s board, who Friends said donated $1,200 to the Conservative Party in 2012 “while sitting on the Board.”

According to the CBC’s website, all current members of the broadcaster's board began serving since the Conservatives took power in 2006.

The budget bill would also extend the same powers over the CBC to three other cultural and scientific agencies: the Canada Council for the Arts, the International Development Research Centre and the National Arts Centre in Ottawa.

Liberal MP Scott Brison told The Hill Times he was surprised the government would go this far in compromising the independence of the CBC and the three other institutions.

“These Crown agencies represent public broadcasting, culture and scientific research, three areas where the Conservatives have been antagonistic,” Brison said. “We will thoroughly scrutinize actions by this government towards these agencies.”

The CBC’s public mandate has long been questioned in conservative circles, with many criticizing the network for taking taxpayers’ money while competing with private-sector broadcasters for advertising revenue.

Sun News Network has famously championed the cause, as has its parent company, Quebecor, whose CEO, Pierre-Karl Peladeau, has attacked CBC’s $1 billion in public subsidies in 2011.

The CBC fought back, putting out statements declaring that Quebecor had itself received $500 billion in various forms of subsidies from the government in the prior three years. Quebecor demanded the CBC remove the “defamatory” material, but the broadcaster refused.

Most recently, conservative bloggers attacked the CBC over allegations the network was running Liberal Party ads featuring Justin Trudeau while refusing to run Tory attack ads. Some pointed to statements from the CBC that it only airs political ads during elections.

But, as The Huffington Post Canada previously reported, the CBC changed its policy on that in 2009, and now allows political ads during non-election periods.

According to the CBC, the Conservative Party has not approached the network yet to run its current negative ad against Justin Trudeau."

Kiforall
7th May 2013, 00:35
by DeDukshyn;
"Chancy -- no one wants a hand out -- you obviously don't know what any of this is about ... try post one and follow the links for a clue. It's about speaking up for yourself as Canadian for the values you say are being lost. :facepalm:

Hello DeDukshyn: I always am intrigued by how you know what I am thinking?!? Because I completely disagree with you and this thread you are always telling me "I don't know what I am talking about".
Other media can survive without petitions, complaining and receiving billions from the public purse each and every year. ( I don't know what all this money given to cbc is if it isn't a hand out!?! )
As I have said everytime I write something on this thread.
cbc and harper can have each other. As they shut the door behind themselves on the way out of Canada. We don't need either of them.
Just for the record since you think I don't know what I am talking about here is the article you are referring to:
Complainers and more complainers! Too many people in Canada afraid to tell the truth! Oh ya signing a petition will do alot of good. Wrong!
Once again so you understand my writing I will say it again for the benefit of all the Canadians who are proud Canadians and don't need the cbc or the harper government or to sign any more petitions to help another government agency known as the cbc.
"cbc and harper can have each other. As they shut the door behind themselves on the way out of Canada. We don't need either of them."
chancy
PS you don't have to tell me again that I don't know what I am talking about because I know exactly what I am talking about! You just don't want anything but BS on this thread. As soon as someone says it the way it is you try to discredit them. Sounds exactly like a politician to me. I will always tell the truth even on your thread!

"Bill C-60: Tories Quietly Taking Control Of CBC, Group Alleges
The Huffington Post Canada | Posted: 04/30/2013 4:35 pm EDT
Share on Google+
Tories Control Cbc
Follow:
CBC Tories, Bill c-60, Bill c60, Budget Bill 2013 Canada, Canada Budget 2013, Cbc, Cbc Board Conservative Donations, httpwwwhuffingtonpostca20130430billc60cbcharpern3187821html, Pierre-Karl Peladeau, Stephen Harper Cbc, Tories Take More Control Of Cbc, Canada Business News

The Harper government is quietly seizing greater control of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, while a public advocacy group accuses the Tories of stacking the CBC’s board with political allies.

Bill C-60, the Tories’ budget implementation bill, includes a clause that allows the prime minister’s cabinet to approve salaries, working conditions and collective bargaining positions for the CBC, The Hill Times reports.

The move, buried at the back of the 111-page bill, “appears to contradict a longstanding arm’s-length relationship between the independent CBC and any government in power,” the newspaper said.

The CBC would now be required to get approval from Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Treasury Board Committee for any collective bargaining agreement the broadcaster reaches with its employees. The Treasury Board would also have the power to approve or deny pay and benefits for non-unionized employees.

The news comes as public interest group Friends of Canadian Broadcasting issued a statement accusing the Tories of “stacking the [CBC’s] board with Conservative supporters.”

Citing data from Elections Canada, Friends said eight of the board’s 11 current members have donated to the Conservative Party of Canada, which the group saw as a sign the government has taken greater control of the CBC.

The new powers over CBC pay and the heavy presence of Conservative Party donors “will further undermine the CBC’s independence from government,” Friends said.

The group identified only one of the reported donors: Remi Racine, the chair of CBC’s board, who Friends said donated $1,200 to the Conservative Party in 2012 “while sitting on the Board.”

According to the CBC’s website, all current members of the broadcaster's board began serving since the Conservatives took power in 2006.

The budget bill would also extend the same powers over the CBC to three other cultural and scientific agencies: the Canada Council for the Arts, the International Development Research Centre and the National Arts Centre in Ottawa.

Liberal MP Scott Brison told The Hill Times he was surprised the government would go this far in compromising the independence of the CBC and the three other institutions.

“These Crown agencies represent public broadcasting, culture and scientific research, three areas where the Conservatives have been antagonistic,” Brison said. “We will thoroughly scrutinize actions by this government towards these agencies.”

The CBC’s public mandate has long been questioned in conservative circles, with many criticizing the network for taking taxpayers’ money while competing with private-sector broadcasters for advertising revenue.

Sun News Network has famously championed the cause, as has its parent company, Quebecor, whose CEO, Pierre-Karl Peladeau, has attacked CBC’s $1 billion in public subsidies in 2011.

The CBC fought back, putting out statements declaring that Quebecor had itself received $500 billion in various forms of subsidies from the government in the prior three years. Quebecor demanded the CBC remove the “defamatory” material, but the broadcaster refused.

Most recently, conservative bloggers attacked the CBC over allegations the network was running Liberal Party ads featuring Justin Trudeau while refusing to run Tory attack ads. Some pointed to statements from the CBC that it only airs political ads during elections.

But, as The Huffington Post Canada previously reported, the CBC changed its policy on that in 2009, and now allows political ads during non-election periods.

According to the CBC, the Conservative Party has not approached the network yet to run its current negative ad against Justin Trudeau."

If CBC is anything like the BBC in the UK, which from reading Wikipedia seems likely, you'd be quite right to wave bye bye.

It is owned by The Crown 'The Crown is a corporation sole that, in the Commonwealth realms and any of its provincial or state sub-divisions, represents the legal embodiment of executive, legislative, or judicial governance.'

Canada is ruled by the same Monarch as the UK, both broadcasting companies are traceable back to her, is that right?

Spellbound
7th May 2013, 04:18
Just wait until the TV rights to the Saturday night hockey games are up for bid next. Rogers and Sportsnet will put in very lucrative bids now that they own MLSE (and thus the Leafs). Hockey Night In Canada has been a staple for CBC Saturday nights for decades and without it they could easily fall destitute. Could very well happen.

Dave - Toronto

chancy
7th May 2013, 05:37
[QUOTE=Kiforall
If CBC is anything like the BBC in the UK, which from reading Wikipedia seems likely, you'd be quite right to wave bye bye.
It is owned by The Crown 'The Crown is a corporation sole that, in the Commonwealth realms and any of its provincial or state sub-divisions, represents the legal embodiment of executive, legislative, or judicial governance.'
Canada is ruled by the same Monarch as the UK, both broadcasting companies are traceable back to her, is that right?[/QUOTE]

Hello Kiforall: Yes, the cbc is exactly like the bbc. The cbc is a crown corporation and sucks billions of tax dollars a year to run. Everyone except myself sees that they are useless. In fact, alot of Canada doesn't even get cbc which is suppose to be for all Canadians. Unfortunately the cbc doesn't see it that way. As you most of the people who are on this thread love cbc and will do anything to keep them even if they don't get to watch cbc. You can get it if you have cable or in a large city in Canada. Canada went from analog to digital and cbc got a special waver ( because they are a crown corporation) to not go digital for another year or 2. It was promised that everyone would get cbc when they finally went digital.
Well now millions of people don't get cbc in Canada because cbc wanted to save 10 million dollars a year. I don't have a problem with saving money. I have a problem with a sum of 2 billion or more goes to cbc every year and it's from the tax payer. We just don't get to see it unless we buy cable or satellite.
This is why it should be shut down no matter who is in power as the government of Canada.
Have a great day Kiforall
chancy

chancy
7th May 2013, 05:46
Just wait until the TV rights to the Saturday night hockey games are up for bid next. Rogers and Sportsnet will put in very lucrative bids now that they own MLSE (and thus the Leafs). Hockey Night In Canada has been a staple for CBC Saturday nights for decades and without it they could easily fall destitute. Could very well happen.
Dave - Toronto

Hello Spellbound ( Dave ): Since millions of people don't get cbc in Canada anymore it's time they shut down and get a real job instead of sucking at the trough for a few billion from the government each year. The cbc is always wining about tough times. Maybe it's time to give the couple of billion dollars back to the people each year and let networks do their job and provide programming without cash from the government. IF the cbc was funded by themselves we wouldn't be having this conversation BUT they get at least a 2 billion a year operating budget from the federal government.
If you want to watch saturday night hockey it would still be on just not on cbc. ( Even the song for saturday night hockey is no longer viable. ) It would be costing taxpayers 2 billion plus a year for something millions of us no longer get. The cbc is no longer Canadian. It's a white elephant!
Time to shut it down
chancy

DeDukshyn
7th May 2013, 16:05
Hi Kiforall,

Again, this isn't about saving the CBC from going away. It's about preventing our public broadcast from becoming an extension of the Harper government, to be used for his purposes. Just as he wants a Rupert Murdoch to start a "Fox news North" style stations on taxpayers money to be used for the same purpose -- that way he has control of both liberal and conservative media platforms.

chancy
7th May 2013, 22:08
Attention DeDukshyn:
I am not sure if you are reading peoples post correctly. You just answered Kiforall in regards to everyone wanting to "save the cbc" Kiforall never said anything about "saving the cbc" He said as I did to get rid of the cbc since it's a crown corporation.
This thread has started out of an alliance with a group that doesn't want harper's government to mess with the cbc. The thing you are missing DeDukshyn is that since it's a crown corporation any government in power can mess with cbc. This is why myself and others who have posted on your thread have said to get rid of the cbc and save at least 2 billion a year in taxpayers cash. The cbc is a white elephant. It can't make it without taxpayers dollars. As you must know millions of Canadians don't even get the cbc anymore.
If you are in 100 Mile House you must get it by cable because with not a million people there it would have been axed like everywhere else in Canada where the population doesn't exceed a million taxpayers. If you want to pay for it fine but people like myself pay way to much tax to not get it for free.
chancy

DeDukshyn
9th May 2013, 23:41
Another fine artcle from the CBC, picked up by someone not in Canada ... Watch for them, there are scores already posted, and more keep coming. Let's compare the quality of this programming to say .. Fox News -- the new coming tax dollar addition / replacement for the CBC that is expected to run on Tax dollars, endorsed by Harper.

Sink the CBC and pay for "Fox news North"? ... Not a chance in hell ... that's even worse.

Besides, I don't see anyway, you (Chancy) me, or anyone else can make the CBC go away -- that is not going to happen, there is no pettion for it, and you've offered nothing but bitterness toward not getting the CBC anymore (slightly ironically). ... let's keep our reactions to the current situation at hand and stop derailing the thread. Feel free, Chancy, to start your own thread with your concerns about the CBC to further your conversations with other like minded members or I'll request to a mod to split the thread. Thanks.

In the mean time, we can all continue to find productions and articles by the CBC on Avalon, as many seem to be quite aligned with avalonians endeavours and concerns.

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?58970-Where-is-the-gold&p=671777&viewfull=1#post671777

chancy
10th May 2013, 05:24
DeDukshyn:
You sound like my 2 year old! He doesn't read so he doesn't understand very much! How on the nice planet we live on am I derailing your thread? I am one of the few that are actually taking the time to post on it as you probably haven't noticed!
From what I have seen and read there is NO ATTACK on the cbc. Since you probably haven't read the posts on your thread you probably didn't read that the cbc is a CROWN CORPORATION in which whoever is the prime minister can do whatever he wants with it since the prime minister at any given time is completely in charge of every crown corporation in Canada. Therefore he can mess with it. Shut it up. Shut it down or anything else the prime minister of the day wants to do.
DeDukshyn you are just blowing hot air and haven't read the printed word on your thread.
Since you want to be like my 2 year old and split the thread feel free because I won't be posting again to YOUR THREAD! It appears that you aren't reading the posts and therefore your thread has gone the way of the gonedow bird.
As I said in another post I bet you have NEVER EVER tried to talk directly to the cbc and therefore don't know what the cbc is really like. I have and know that they may never be shut down in Canada but that doesn't mean they should be allowed the freebies from the taxpayers of Canada to the tune of 2 billion or more annually.
Yes, I would like to see cbc on tv since they are the crown corporation for everyone in Canada BUT alas I really haven't missed them. ( Not upset just P**ssEd O** that they are so arrogant to the taxpayers like maybe you and definitely me and everyone else.
Good luck with the thread DeDukshyn! This is getting to be a loop on the digital recorder. A BIG waste of time.

PS Unless Paul or any of the other people that run this website kick me off which could be a possibility for telling the truth then I will continue to portray my thoughts and opinions on any subject that I have an inkling to. At least I will be in great company with all my predecessors who have voiced their opinions in which I enjoyed extremely over the past years that have gone on to greatness!
chancy

DeDukshyn
10th May 2013, 21:31
You must have huge amounts of time to waste ... as you keep coming back here -- heck you've posted more on this thread than I have ;)

Flash
21st May 2013, 23:32
I found this and loved it, it describes very well the op topic and opinion

You won’t recognize Canada when I get through with it.”

~Stephen Harper

DeDukshyn
22nd May 2013, 00:04
Thanks for that flash.

<rant>

A few responders on this thread have no clue what is happening to their country and they can keep their ostrich heads in the sand for all I care.

Bill C-60 isn't about saving the CBC, tanking the CBC (it's not going away - that is not an option we are presented with).

The option we are being presented with is install Bill C-60 so that Harper can have a heavier hand in all the CBC's programming, and thus more power to assert propaganda, or not install it.

That is what this thread is about, and that is all the petition is about -- not anything to do with needing a "handout" or any of the other nonsense some others were trying to change the meaning to.

The petition is to stop C-60. After that -we can work on getting the wages more realistic for the upper management of the CBC and ensure we aren't paying them too excessively (which I am sure we are)., but again that's a different story and a different thread altogether if someone wants to start one on THAT topic -- feel free.

It also appears that a few don't understand exactly what a "crown" corporation's relationship is supposed to be to the government.

Bill c-60 seeks to change that for the CBC, so Harper CAN get his hands dirty.

So the choices are:

Stop Bill c-60, or let Bill C-60 through. Neither choice will bring the CBC to your rabbit ears (who uses those anyway?), neither choice will make the CBC go away at all. Neither choice will change the amount of subsidies to the CBC.

The choice will will determine if CBC becomes controlled by "The Harper Government" or not.

Again if one thinks that he has full control because the CBC is a "crown" corporation -- look into this relationship a little better, there are laws that are in place to this regard, and the laws that will be affected by bill c-60.

</endrant>

"You won’t recognize Canada when I get through with it.” also quoted in link below.

Good article on the subject here: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/tim-knight/watching-the-watchdog_b_3254878.html