PDA

View Full Version : AVG FREE edition- BE AWARE!!!

Sidney
10th May 2013, 20:34
I made the mistake of downloading the AVG free edition 2013. AVG has been good to me over the years for a good free antivirus. HOWEVER, the 2013 edition has a major flaw.
It automatically gives you a toolbar and something called AVG secure search (browser), which is impossible to uninstall.

After I tried and tried to get rid of it, I researched it, and on the AVG forums and other places found out that this is some kind of adware/ or possibly even a virus. The real problems start only when you try to uninstall the corrupted files. Welcome to hell. LOL

The only way I was able to get rid of it was to uninstall the entire program, (after which it was still there) and run system restore TWICE. I had also had to delete several files manually from the program files on my hard drive.

I am one of the fortunate ones because from what I read, this "bug" deems most computers unable to even run system restore.

The name of the file is DSPDlg_IE. And once its in your system is almost impossible to get out.

Also, I want to add, that during my hours long quest to rid myself of this pain in the arse, I found that when I tried to manually delete that specific file that it would take me to a NORTON link. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

From what I found, the paid edition is fine. But the free edition released for 2013 also does not do full scans. It does a "pretend" scan.

Just want to prevent anyone else from having this nightmare.

Oh I forgot to mention, I also had to uninstall Chrome and re-install it. After that the problem was resolved but not without running restore.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
10th May 2013, 20:46
thank you for this!
my computer runs like TOTAL ARSE and when I disabled AVG it IMMEDIATELY fixed my browser's typing speed issue...

you saved my Elife

Hervé
10th May 2013, 20:50
[...]

I am one of the fortunate ones because from what I read, this "bug" deems most computers unable to even run system restore.

The name of the file is DSPDlg_IE. And once its in your system is almost impossible to get out.

[...]

I am not sure what OS you use but if it's Win 7, you can then perform the restore from the install disk as it bypasses the hard drive filesystem files installation.

To get rid of the file... good old DOS commands at start-up may help?

Bill Ryan
10th May 2013, 20:54
-------

Or...... get a Mac.

:)

Sidney
10th May 2013, 20:54
I do have windows 7 but my computer did not come with a disc. : ( But I did get rid of it by doing restore, but I read that some people have had complete system failure from this one malicious file. But it sure sounds like something stinks over at AVG this year.

Paul
10th May 2013, 20:55
I have not verified this, so it could be wrong, but looking over the various web pages and forums discussing this issue, the following seems to have the clearest explanation of what is going on with the Free AVG toolbar, and how to remove it: http://www.guardi.us/blog/how-to-remove-avg-toolbar/

Sidney
10th May 2013, 20:57
-------

Or...... get a Mac.

HAHA, one of the first things on my list when I win the lotto!! : )

HORIZONS
10th May 2013, 20:59
-------

Or...... get a Mac.

Always the best solution. Been using a Mac since 1995 and have NEVER had a problem.

Sidney
10th May 2013, 21:00
I have not verified this, so it could be wrong, but looking over the various web pages and forums discussing this issue, the following seems to have the clearest explanation of what is going on with the Free AVG toolbar, and how to remove it: http://www.guardi.us/blog/how-to-remove-avg-toolbar/

The toolbar is not the problem. Its the AVG secure search browser. I was able to get rid of the toolbar pretty easily, but it was located in the same place in my program files as the browser, which is the one that had embedded itself in several different location all over the place. Oh I forgot to mention, I also had to uninstall Chrome and re-install it. After that the problem was resolved but not without running restore.

Carmody
10th May 2013, 21:10
be careful about quickly click-click-clicking your way to unwanted software on your PC.

When i install adobe's pdf reader or java, each program will ask me if I want to install some browser or whatnot. I very carefully unclick all the pre-ticked boxes.

Same goes for AVG. Read carefully and slow down. Un-tick those pre-ticked boxes.

Dennis Leahy
10th May 2013, 21:17
When I install any software that has an "automatic" or "manual" (or "advanced") setting, I always use advanced/manual. Then, you MAY have the option to opt out, turn off automatic things, and keep extras from downloading. IIRC, Java always wants to install the McAfee suite (which I hate with a passion), for another example.

So, when I installed AVG Free edition, I said no to the toolbar and secure search functionality. It did not install, and I have had no problems.

It does scan incredibly faster than it used to and I had figured that it had gotten better about marking new files and only scanning them. It would be a complete waste of time (or worse, I'd be unprotected) if this is true:

"the free edition released for 2013 also does not do full scans. It does a "pretend" scan."Now I'm a gonna have to do some researchin...

Dennis

Paul
10th May 2013, 21:19
Read carefully and slow down. Un-tick those pre-ticked boxes.

According to the explanation in what I linked in Post #6 above (http://www.guardi.us/blog/how-to-remove-avg-toolbar/), the Free AVG installer does not give you a click box to disable installing the browser toolbar. They just state in their user agreement (that long piece of text that only a few lawyers have ever read) that by installing AVG, you agree to also install the toolbar.

I have not verified that this is so :).

¤=[Post Update]=¤

So, when I installed AVG Free edition, I said no to the toolbar and secure search functionality. It did not install, and I have had no problems.
Aha - sounds like Dennis has done the "research" on this, and there is a check box, if you step through the installation carefully enough.

Thanks, Dennis!

Sidney
10th May 2013, 21:22
And I have stumbled across this article, verifying what I already knew.:cool:
http://dottech.org/101609/avg-secure-search-toolbar-is-malware/

I will have to keep my eye out to see if it comes back later. Can't wait. : /
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________
Home
Windows
Android
iPhone and iPad
Mac
Linux
Browsers
Web
Downloads
Forums
← Previous PostNext Post →
AVG Secure Search Security Toolbar is malware, avoid it more than the plague
ASHRAF MARCH 24, 2013 84 EMAIL ARTICLE | PRINT ARTICLE

I’ve been reviewing software since dotTech was born back in October 2008. By now, over four years on, I have become very good at avoiding crapware that comes bundled with many programs, notably toolbars; I can only remember one time in the past few years when I have accidentally installed crapware.

A few weeks back I ran across avast Browser Cleanup, a program that claims to be able to remove browser toolbars and unnecessary add-ons. The features of avast Browser Cleanup looked interesting so I wanted to test the program to see if it was worth posting about on dotTech. As such, I needed to have some toolbars installed on my computer (because, after all, I can’t know if avast Browser Cleanup actually works if I have no toolbars to test it on). So I went out and installed AVG Secure Search Security Toolbar, Ask Toolbar, and Bing Bar (directly from their respective websites) and then tried to remove them with avast Browser Cleanup. To my delight, avast Browser Cleanup was able to remove all three toolbars from my browsers. Or so I thought.

I’m one of those people who like to keep an eye on Windows Task Manager to see what processes are running on my computer. If I ever see a process unknown to me, I investigate to ensure it is legitimate. A few days after removing AVG Secure Search Security Toolbar, Ask Toolbar, and Bing Bar from my computer with avast Browser Cleanup, I noticed a process ‘vprot.exe’ was running. Never having seen it before, I started looking into it; my first step was right-clicking on vprot.exe and opening the file’s location. To my surprise, vprot.exe lead me to C:\Program Files\AVG Secure Search which contained AVG Secure Search Security Toolbar, a toolbar I thought I had already removed.

At this point I was raging at avast Browser Cleanup, thinking the program didn’t properly remove AVG Secure Search Toolbar. What I didn’t know at the time is avast Browser Cleanup did its job just fine; the problem was (is) AVG Secure Search Toolbar keeps coming back after being uninstalled/removed/deleted.

When I discovered AVG Secure Search Toolbar was still installed on my computer, I went to Add/Remove Programs to uninstall it. The only problem? AVG Secure Search Toolbar’s uninstaller didn’t work. I even tried running ‘Uninstall.exe’ directly from C:\Program Files\AVG Secure Search, but still no luck. With a seemingly broken uninstaller, I decided to simply delete C:\Program Files\AVG Secure Search thinking that would be the end of it.

A few days passed and out of the blue I was prompted by Firefox that AVG Secure Search Toolbar wanted to install in my browser. I thought to myself: “WTF, didn’t I just delete this a few days ago?” I, of course, blocked AVG Secure Search Toolbar from installing in Firefox and then went to check C:\Program Files\AVG Secure Search to see what is up. To my surprise (and horror), AVG Secure Search Toolbar was back as if I never deleted it! At the same time, I noticed AVG Secure Search Toolbar was also residing in C:\ProgramData\AVG Secure Search, so I thought to myself: “Maybe that is why AVG Secure Search Toolbar came back — I didn’t delete the ProgramData folder last time and only deleted the Program Files folder“.

Upon seeing the return of AVG Secure Search Toolbar, I once again tried to uninstall it and once again ran into the same issue — broken uninstaller. So I decided to again manually delete AVG Secure Search Toolbar, except this time I made sure to delete both C:\ProgramData\AVG Secure Search and C:\Program Files\AVG Secure Search. I even used Eraser to securely erase them, just for the heck of it.

For the moment it appeared that AVG Secure Search Toolbar was gone. However, guess what happened the next day? I found AVG Secure Search Toolbar was back!

When seeing this piece of **** was back (again), I repeated the same procedures of trying to uninstall it but upon fail due to broken uninstaller, I decided to pull out the big guns. I used Comodo Programs Manager to force uninstall AVG Secure Search Toolbar and delete all related files, folders, and registry entries. Again, for the time being, it appeared that I got rid of AVG Secure Search Toolbar. But then a few hours later, I noticed it was back. Again.

Now, at this point, I was frustrated beyond belief. I decided I’d try to remove AVG Secure Search Toolbar one last time to see if I was successful. So I went to Google to see if anyone had tips on how to remove it. I found out that AVG Technologies provides an official uninstaller/remover for AVG Secure Search Toolbar. Upon seeing this uninstaller, I thought to myself: “Wow, this must be it. This must be how to remove this bloody crapware.” Oh how I wish I was right.

After downloading AVG Secure Search Toolbar’s official uninstaller, I ran it and it told me it had successfully removed AVG Secure Search Toolbar from my browsers and computer; it even reset my browser homepages to default. Cool. Or not — the next day AVG Secure Search Toolbar returned, yet again.

That, as I just mentioned, was my last attempt to try to remove AVG Secure Search Toolbar. My computer is due for a reformat anyway, so I figured I’ll get rid of AVG Secure Search Toolbar vis-a-vis the reformat I’m going to do; I wasn’t about to go waste more time trying to remove this crap. However, then I had an idea. What if the reason AVG Secure Search Toolbar keeps coming back is if its installation was (is) corrupted? That would also explain the broken uninstaller. Of course, this was a shaky theory (because a broken program doesn’t continually reinstall itself) but it was worth a shot. So I downloaded AVG Secure Search Toolbar’s installer from AVG’s website and reinstalled AVG Secure Search Toolbar. Then I reran the official AVG Secure Search Toolbar uninstaller. Anyone want to guess what happened next? Yep, AVG Secure Search Toolbar’s official uninstaller seemingly removed AVG Secure Search Toolbar… only for AVG Secure Search Toolbar to return after a few hours.

I am currently typing this article with AVG Secure Search Toolbar still on my computer (although I have it blocked from my browsers). I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of this crap but it keeps coming back, just like malware. What makes matters worse is the fact that AVG Secure Search Toolbar is not be some rogue developer; it is by AVG Technologies, a company that makes anti-virus and other security software (AVG AntiVirus Free, AVG AntiVirus, AVG Internet Security, AVG Premium Security, etc.) used by millions upon millions of people around the world. Yet their toolbar behaves nothing better than malware. In fact, I had an easier time removing Ask Toolbar — a toolbar infamous as the worst of the worst crapware — than AVG Secure Search Toolbar.

As luck may have it, I’ve never been an AVG user to protect my computer, data, and files; for one reason or another, I’ve always gone with AVG’s competitors, notably Avira and Avast. Now I’m glad I’ve never used AVG. If they have a malware-like toolbar, I can’t see how their anti-virus — and releated programs — will be any better. And, based off my experience with AVG Secure Search Toolbar, I’d recommend everyone using AVG security software to switch as soon as possible. It just isn’t worth it.

Paul
10th May 2013, 21:24
The toolbar is not the problem. Its the AVG secure search browser.
:). Not only do I not do the necessary research, I don't read very well either.

Guess I had better just stick to this Linux box that I know.

( One last attempt: This post, and the response by "Jon" of AVG Customer Support, may be useful: http://nojesusnopeas.blogspot.com/2012/08/sorry-but-avg-secure-search-is-malware.html )

Sidney
10th May 2013, 21:32
You would THINK and ANTI-VIRUS service, wouldn't do this kind of sneak shiit. I will never use another product from them.

Bryn ap Gwilym
10th May 2013, 21:34

Excellent find.
Far too many folk just download stuff willy nilly without fully reading or understanding the policy that intends to trap them into a contract & in turn signing away their freedom.
The way this hooks onto IE may suggest that this could be with MS blessing & totally flushing it out from the system may not be as straight forward as that article states.
It would be interesting to know of what has been left behind in the registry.

I can not stress enough that folk should be using a GNU/UNIX operating system that stands for Freedom & not using any of the proprietary software os.
Distrowatch (http://distrowatch.com/)

DeDukshyn
10th May 2013, 21:40
I ditched AVG years ago - pure crap now.

As much as I hate Micro$oft, I use their "Security Essentials" -- which has worked flawlessly for me. It runs silently in the background and rarely bothers you at all - the odd task bar note that it is taking care of some issue for you and that you don't need to do anything.

And it's free. Early versions were crap, but it is well honed now with one of the best detect rates. I tested it one day, by going to a site that had malicious code on it, to see how it compared to my Symantec system on the work network. Symantec in its attempt to contain the issue, kept shutting down the browser (IE), but then, (lol) IE's auto-recover feature kept immediately bringing it back to that page! This iterated a few times until the malicious code had totally taken control of my work PC. Went home tested on Security Essentials - a little notification in the taskbar that it had stopped all threats. Life went on normally.

Like I said, I hate MS products, but this is one that has been good to me.

RMorgan
10th May 2013, 21:42

Excellent find.
Far too many folk just download stuff willy nilly without fully reading or understanding the policy that intends to trap them into a contract & in turn signing away their freedom.
The way this hooks onto IE may suggest that this could be with MS blessing & totally flushing it out from the system may not be as straight forward as that article states.
It would be interesting to know of what has been left behind in the registry.

I can not stress enough that folk should be using a GNU/UNIX operating system that stands for Freedom & not using any of the proprietary software os.
Distrowatch (http://distrowatch.com/)

I agree with you.

For people who use the PC just for regular tasks, like internet browsing, typing texts and these kind of things, Linux is very good.

I gave my mom my old notebook after installing Linux Mint on it, and she never called me to ask me to repair her computer again. It´s virus free and runs much better than Windows; It brings old computers back to life.

OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, PClinux, Mint; All are very good and stable distros.

I totally dislike Windows, but I have to use it. I have no choice; All software I use to work are not available for Linux, and the similar opensource alternatives are simply not good enough. If it wasn´t for that, I would quit Windows forever.

MacOs is not viable for me either; Powerful enough Apple computers are just too expensive; I can buy a much better PC for half the price.

As for Windows antivirus software; Avast free is very good; For those who want something lighter, Panda Cloud antivirus free is very good as well. Always use a good spyware preventive software, like Malwarebytes free.

Raf.

DeDukshyn
10th May 2013, 21:44
-------

Or...... get a Mac.

Keep in mind -- when everyone has a MAC -- no one will be writing viruses for windows anymore ... but the will still be writing them. It has already started: http://www.techspot.com/news/51689-new-mac-virus-skirts-gatekeeper-initiates-creepy-reverse-shell-connection.html

Then the issue will be that since everyone thinks MACs are invulnerable, this will be its vulnerability.

Paul
10th May 2013, 21:53
I gave my mom my old notebook after installing Linux Mint on it, and she never called me to ask me to repair her computer again. It´s virus free and runs much better than Windows; It brings old computers back to life.
Linux runs on everything from cell phones (Android) to some of the biggest iron out there (I was working on Linux for 1000 CPU, multi-terabyte RAM systems when I last worked, in 2008.)

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Keep in mind -- when everyone has a MAC -- no one will be writing viruses for windows anymore ... but the will still be writing them. It has already started: http://www.techspot.com/news/51689-new-mac-virus-skirts-gatekeeper-initiates-creepy-reverse-shell-connection.html

Then the issue will be that since everyone thinks MACs are invulnerable, this will be its vulnerability.

True, MAC gets less attention because it has less market.

True, MAC is not invulnerable.

But ... also true ... Unix and its derivatives (BSD, OS X, Linux, ...) have an inherently better operating system design from a security point of view, having been targeted at multi-user systems since its very early days.

DouglasDanger
10th May 2013, 21:55
AVG dropped the ball in 2004 when it started to bloat ware its program ( it worked great before the unneeded applications and add ons added to it, they did this to keep up with bloated Norton, Mcafee and other Virus scanning programs, the paying people always demand more gadgets, scanners and usless crap, company gives what the paying people want, or they loose the customer.),Anyhow this bloated version ruined the speeds of older computers, I had an Old 300 mhz pentium 2 with 256 ram running windows xp as a "slow as you can go machine" for testing games, the computer wouldn't even start windows xp with Bloated AVG loaded in on it, ran fine for its speed and age with Avast or Avira..I can just imagine how much bloat it has now that the speeds and memory capacities have increased. I run Avast free edition or Avira free editions now on all my machines, I run the 2 because if one machine starts acting funny I can scann it with the other machine to see if either of the virus checkers missed a virus... I curently have 4 machines, ( yes I build them myself) two of them are down right now, one needs a hard drive replaced the other needs a new OS because My daughter does not understand when you delete your mouse keyboard and video drivers the computer will not work ;).. she knows now and windows is easy peezy to reload, memorizing all the internal components when you build it makes it go all that much smoother too..

Tangri
10th May 2013, 21:58
-------

Or...... get a Mac.

Most of the people do not realize other's need or ability. once upon a time there was the Marie Antoinette who recommend to eat cake for people's hunger.

greybeard
10th May 2013, 22:04
I use Linux and I am very impressed--- What Im not impressed with is a wireless Kodak printer which is not compatible with Linux and Kodak tell me that they dont have a driver for that printer for Linux.
Totally crazy ---so many young people including my son who does Apps Games for a top name firm swear by Linux.

I have used AVG with Windows and never a problem

Chris

DeDukshyn
10th May 2013, 22:05
Linux runs on everything from cell phones (Android) to some of the biggest iron out there (I was working on Linux for 1000 CPU, multi-terabyte RAM systems when I last worked, in 2008.)

¤=[Post Update]=¤

True, MAC gets less attention because it has less market.

True, MAC is not invulnerable.

But ... also true ... Unix and its derivatives (BSD, OS X, Linux, ...) have an inherently better operating system design from a security point of view, having been targeted at multi-user systems since its very early days.

No argument here on that! Fully agreed.

wobbegong
10th May 2013, 22:06
Thankyou for this thread and thanks to all for the contributions, I recently had free AVG and my computer was not connecting to my internet network...tried everything, no way, I had to restore the whole thing, had a doubt that it may have been caused by AVG so I got Norton instead - now the doubt is confirmed, thanks again.

InCiDeR
10th May 2013, 22:54
Sorry to hear you had problem with AVG, it used to be a decent Antivirus a couple of years ago, but as most of modern software it is to "bloated" nowdays!

It is a hassle with all protection you need to feel safe. To effectively block all threats, anitvirus is simply not enough

Most of antivirus sofware will not detect adware, because adware is technically not a virus. So when you by misstake install a toolbar and later want to get rid of it, you will need something else than antivirus.

There are many different software that would help you with that, but be aware, many of them are rogue anti-spyware and will instead install masses of spyware/adware on your computer. Google is your friend here.

Malwarebytes have been around for quite some time, they are well reputed and has a free version of their malware software. I see it as a good complement to a free Antivirus:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

When it comes to antivirus, there are other free alternatives if you are not happy with AVG, like AVAST and Avira:
http://www.avast.com/en-se/index
http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Which is best? I think it comes down to personal taste. You will find pros and cons with all of them. Even the reviewers and tests regarding Antivirus software have different conclusions. But they both are considered "good enough".

---

As some of you have said before, Mac is a safer choice, but only until it reach X owners and starts to attract the very same virus creators that love windows.

Linux/unix is the most secure and reliable, even if it based on old technology. It has different "setup" and operations compared to the other operating systems, but it takes a bit longer to get used to.

---

EDIT: When it comes to AVG search, I would suggest you use HijackThis 2.0.4 to help you with that issue:

HijackThis inspects your computers browser and operating system settings to generate a log file of the current state of your computer. Using HijackThis you can selectively remove unwanted settings and files from your computer. Because the settings identified in a HijackThis log file can belong to both legitimate software and unwanted malware, it is important to use extreme caution when choosing to removing anything using HijackThis.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/

Be careful though when you remove items with help of this software, make sure it is not the wrong one!

DevilPigeon
10th May 2013, 23:07
-------

Or...... get a Mac.

Erm... No ta. The only reason I've not migrated to Linux is because MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/) is Windows only (don't even go there with Wine etc...)

zebowho
10th May 2013, 23:08
Sorry to burst your bubble Bill :) but a report came out about a year ago that Mac's aren't as bullet proof as people think, in fact they could be more vulnerable than a Windows machine...by about 10 years on the security front.

Kaspersky Lab CEO's report (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/04/kaspersky-trolls-apple-claims-mac-security-is-10-years-behind-microsoft/)

There isn't any one machine completely protected though. The trick is knowing what your computer is doing and how to properly protect it. If I were to offer an observation (and agreement with Carmody) its the click happy users that usually get bitten first.

-z

Lifebringer
10th May 2013, 23:17
Rightlick on toolbar icon or "x"/close the toolbar or go to control panel, look up install/uninstall program. Search for the toolbar on your programs, right click on avg toolbar, select uninstall and click yes. Allow your pc to configure the change and wait for option of toolbar selection.
Good luck.

PS, I like them checking for cookies n malware before opening the site page.

DevilPigeon
10th May 2013, 23:39
-----

As has been said, AVG was good when it was solely an anti-virus application, since it's been infested with "bloatware" (self-inflicted by AVG themselves) it's gone rapidly downhill. Believe it or not, Norton actually used to be good (back in the day when the bespectacled Peter Norton posed on the box)... I distinctly remember the Norton defragger utility defragged a drive in a fraction of the time that the MS equivalent took... This was DOS world though, maybe Win 3.1 at a push, certainly not the Win 95 era...

Paul
10th May 2013, 23:42
-------

Or...... get a Mac.

Erm... No ta. The only reason I've not migrated to Linux is because MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/) is Windows only (don't even go there with Wine etc...)

I have played around with various emulation environments, trying to run Windows on top of Unix/Linux, for 10 or 15 years now. I got them to work sometimes, but they were always a pain in the butt.

But now I have one running that is easier to install, maintain and use than a genuine hardware installed Windows.

If you have enough memory (at least a couple extra GBytes of RAM) then try running a Maherz Windows 7 inside of Virtualbox on Ubuntu (and, no, I am not providing links to whatever I mean by "Maherz".) This will not work for "applications" (ahem ... games) that require serious graphics.

Sidney
10th May 2013, 23:45
I have been using spybot SD for years for adware/spyware. Now that i "think" i got rid of the AVG bug, im going to run it to see if it picks up anything. Seems like this AVG thing hides itself very well.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I ditched AVG years ago - pure crap now.

As much as I hate Micro$oft, I use their "Security Essentials" -- which has worked flawlessly for me. It runs silently in the background and rarely bothers you at all - the odd task bar note that it is taking care of some issue for you and that you don't need to do anything.

And it's free. Early versions were crap, but it is well honed now with one of the best detect rates. I tested it one day, by going to a site that had malicious code on it, to see how it compared to my Symantec system on the work network. Symantec in its attempt to contain the issue, kept shutting down the browser (IE), but then, (lol) IE's auto-recover feature kept immediately bringing it back to that page! This iterated a few times until the malicious code had totally taken control of my work PC. Went home tested on Security Essentials - a little notification in the taskbar that it had stopped all threats. Life went on normally.

Like I said, I hate MS products, but this is one that has been good to me.

Thanks for the advice, I just downloaded it !!!!!

DevilPigeon
10th May 2013, 23:53
-------

Or...... get a Mac.

I have played around with various emulation environments, trying to run Windows on top of Unix/Linux, for 10 or 15 years now. I got them to work sometimes, but they were always a pain in the butt.

But now I have one running that is easier to install, maintain and use than a genuine hardware installed Windows.

If you have enough memory (at least a couple extra GBytes of RAM) then try running a Maherz Windows 7 inside of Virtualbox on Ubuntu (and, no, I am not providing links to whatever I mean by "Maherz".) This will not work for "applications" (ahem ... games) that require serious graphics.

Cool, thanks Paul, I'll do a bit of digging :-)

I've never been impressed with recent Windows gaming anyway so that wouldn't be an issue (eg GTA4 Windows vs PS3 - Win is p*** poor even at lowest settings on top-notch hardware)

KiwiElf
11th May 2013, 00:20
I dumped AVG two years ago when the "updated" install slowed my computer down to a crawl, nor was there any way to disable it for certain applications. It effectively took over the computer. Instead I went with the paid version of ESET NOD32 which, for the relatively small cost, does allow disabling on the fly if you want max speed. However, after a "Windows update" (which installed itself), again the computer was slower than ever. (Windows OS just seems to gather "junk"). Have since installed Speedy PC Pro (also payware), which manages to throw out 100+ "problems" on a daily basis and has the PC running at optimised speeds.

I've been a Mac boy since they were invented (the other computer) and never had any issues. The MacBook Pro is also running Windows 7 under Bootcamp and the free version of AVG which is about to get flicked. AVG's auto updates are also slowing this powerful machine down (and most annoying is, it does scans randomly). ALtho the Macs may not be bullet proof, they are a darn sight better. Windows IMO was and is a truck with racing stripes and mag wheels pretending to be a sports car. Just buy the sports car in the first place. (And RAF, you get what you pay for Dude,... a Ford ain't a Porsche!)

DouglasDanger
11th May 2013, 00:25
-------

Or...... get a Mac.

I haven't switched over to Linux yet because of sheer lazyness and accessability to the newest hardware drivers.
When you pay for a Mac now you are paying the extra money for thier security,personel and extra progams.
Hardware wise a Mac is a windows machine which is a linux machine, It is all the same hardware it is just a Differen't operating system,( Mac's used to have thier own hardware, only for Macs, but motorola didn't keep up with chip speeds, multiple cores etc so they dropped them for the faster Intel set up)
I won't go Mac, because Mac Ignores the gaming industry.. So many issues with games that you sometimes need a Windows or Linux set up on a hard drive partition just to be able to play them... There are other options like a program called Wine Skin but runing a seperate program just to run a game realy eats up your hardware resorces and you never get the effects that newer games give..

Check out the BattleField 4 preview sometime and understand to run this game at its highest settings on a 40 inch 1080p 128 bit refresh rate Monitor, you need at least A quad core chip Running at 3.5 GHz with at least 4 gigs of DDR3 1600 mhz ram and a minimum of 4 gigs of video processing ram on a multi GPU video card set up to get it to look the way it was intended..( walls exploding and coming down from being shelled, the crash effects of smashing your jet into the tank on the ground etc ;) ) Hard drive speeds for games is just load times ( solid state hard drives load games in extreemly fast ). I am too poor for this Computer build, but I have built one for a friend.

Played some racing games on another friends 100" projector screen set up, He has a half of a car parked infront of this screen for racing games, over board to the max considering the Steering wheel, pedals and shifter all work for the games. The size of the cars in games mimiced the size of them in real life, it made me physically nautious, my mind was fooled into motion sickness ( your body is not moving but your mind believes it is moving therefore it assumes you have been poisoned so it does the natural thing... makes you vomit...)

AVG/avast/Avira has a gaming mode option that turns off applications etc/ to free up hardware resorces when you play games, to many complaints when they started thier bloating, that they had to have an option to turn them off while leaving minimal protection on..

KiwiElf
11th May 2013, 00:37
...I won't go Mac, because Mac Ignores the gaming industry...

More a case that the gaming industry ignores Macs (not the other way round) - because they make more sales of Windows (in which case, install Bootcamp on your Intel-based Mac and you effectively have two computers in one box).

gripreaper
11th May 2013, 05:07
Be sure and back up anything which you cannot live without on an external drive, as you may need to clean sweep your current hard drive and reload your system software and programs to get rid of the virus. Some of today's viruses are so tenacious, this is the only way to remove them.

Nothingness
11th May 2013, 05:08
Some of this I grasp and some of it I don't. I'm sort of computer challenged. I try to use my intuition on things and get in trouble if I don't--downloading things I don't know much about. I'm a little isolated because I don't have family and couldn't have kids and am deaf. When facebook first came out I hired my 12-year-old neighbor to come over and explain it to me and tell me about it and get me started on it, now I chose not to use it that much for certain reasons. There's definitely a market for someone who can update older people who have gotten out of the loop.

I do learn from these sessions and am grateful for that. I wish they had a category here on the forum for computer/software discussions. I'm copying and pasting some of the above posts for later reference. Thanks to you all.

ikkibu
11th May 2013, 09:37
i have been using avast for years now, its free and i have only had problems once, i had a similar update going on for avast and it went totally coo coo on me.
It was impossible to uninstall avast and i could not update the program, just crashed my computer all the time also my browser went to not responding. So i just formatted and did a fresh reinstall of windows 7. Problem solved after that:), driver genius/(or similar driver finder software) is a great tool to find all your drivers for your PC after reinstall of windows so you don't have to, saves you lots of time and nerves:)

Paa
11th May 2013, 11:13
-I've removed this post-

Bill Ryan
11th May 2013, 11:38
Sorry to burst your bubble Bill :)

Bubble intact! :) I've been using Macs for over 20 years, and have never had a virus or spyware of any kind.

Lifebringer
11th May 2013, 11:51
Hi Bill;
I've noticed that a lot of people like controlled security like avg and are switching. I've had it ever since 2006 and that can't make the others like Norton NSA happy, so beware of them trying to trick you to make you angry at AVG Alao I've noticed Microsoft is adding "upgrades to your computer before you even open the desk top. While I'm here with you, I'd like to ask if you have remodeled your scrollbar because its different and feels like I'm on a duplicate site. Things are changing, just want to know if you changed some things, cautious.

Lifebringer
11th May 2013, 11:57
The only free avg's are the 30 day trials and they give you a license number to order when the trial is over. Don't fall for a free "up to date/this year protection" just angry competition virus and bugs. Never seek FREE protection over your private info, passwords, and paypal info.

The best one cost 120.00 and the physically remove it from pc from HQ. Better than Norton and with Foxfire avg is unbeatable.:target:

Lifebringer
11th May 2013, 12:29
God bless Steve Jobs for knowing the game Gates and "crooked" alphabets were playing on the consumers/voters/citizens/world. It may come where WE the population will have to treat our pc's like a dictionary/encyclopedia usage soon. Notice how privatized post offices are being left to debt? The same private partnership spooks are buying into sites like FB and just "receiving" for next stages of their game.

They fail to realize that the people aren't gullible children to be lied to, and they've quit playing the game in 2004, when Iraq war/ME boardroom plans killed innocent live of multiple nations on a LIE of w-em-dee.

Aurelius
11th May 2013, 12:36
ashampoo (https://www.ashampoo.com/uk/gbp/pin/1303/System_Software/Ashampoo-UnInstaller-5)is your friend .. log and keep track of ALL the changes an application makes to your OS, it also allows you to remove ALL changes an app has made to your OS.

ps. here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx)are some VERY powerful & useful tools for the windows OS

kodokan
11th May 2013, 13:44
Just my two penneth worth in case it helps.

I uploaded AVG 2013 (I use firefox and vista BTW) after after the trial period I disables it and removed it easily through uninstall programmes and then uploaded AVG 2012. The other day I did the same for a friend but this time I removed 2013 in he same manner (He's windows 7) and then uploaded 2013 trial edition again but encountered no problems on doing that either, Just letting you know,,,, What I do find a pain (and it's probably something I may be doing) is that the auto update starts when I turn the machine on which is annoying when all I want to do is go straight to doing my business. Otherwise I've had no problems. however I do find firefox great for blocking everything through their Add-ons.

Mike Gorman
11th May 2013, 13:57
I have never liked AVG, I have used Malwarebytes for the past 5 years and have not had a single infection of any kind-Malwarebytes is a German
product, and it has a free version that works fine, but is minus the real-time protection module-but the paid version is all of 24 dollars for life so it is a
'no-brainer' as everyone says these days (along with 'Awsome') the main threat is internet borne malware, old fashioned viruses are not nearly so common.
So if you prefer IBM architecture computing this is one way of keeping safe-otherwise Macs are great, i have nothing against Macs.

Lovespot
11th May 2013, 14:09
-------

Or...... get a Mac.

Sorry to say Bill, Mac's aren't under the radar as they were before: http://www.eset.com/mac-malware-facts/

Paul
11th May 2013, 17:51
There is another reason that Unix and its derivatives is better than Windows. This has been explained in an article that just showed up on Slashdot: Microsoft Developer Explains Why Windows Kernel Development Falls Behind (http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/05/11/1430259/microsoft-developer-explains-why-windows-kernel-development-falls-behind):

"In a response (https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5689391) that truly seems to be from a core Microsoft developer, we are told about why Windows kernel development continues to fall further and further behind that of the Linux kernel (http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=74). He says, 'The cause of the problem is social. There's almost none of the improvement for its own sake, for the sake of glory, that you see in the Linux world. ... There's no formal or informal program of systemic performance improvement. We started caring about security because pre-SP3 Windows XP was an existential threat to the business. Our low performance is not an existential threat to the business. See, component owners are generally openly hostile to outside patches: if you're a dev, accepting an outside patch makes your lead angry (due to the need to maintain this patch and to justify in in shiproom the unplanned design change), makes test angry (because test is on the hook for making sure the change doesn't break anything, and you just made work for them), and PM is angry (due to the schedule implications of code churn). There's just no incentive to accept changes from outside your own team. You can always find a reason to say "no," and you have very little incentive to say "yes."'"
Click the two embedded links to read more of this, including the original author's follow up post.

Poly Hedra
11th May 2013, 18:13
Spybot is a good alternative to all of those antivirus program's.

Sidney
11th May 2013, 23:36
I discovered some nice redirect crap today, OH and guess what came back..AVG EFFIN TOOLBAR. arggggggg:fish::shocked::boom:

InCiDeR
12th May 2013, 01:22
I discovered some nice redirect crap today, OH and guess what came back..AVG EFFIN TOOLBAR. arggggggg:fish::shocked::boom:

As I posted before, I believe this will help you with that toolbar as well:

EDIT: When it comes to AVG search, I would suggest you use HijackThis 2.0.4 to help you with that issue:

HijackThis inspects your computers browser and operating system settings to generate a log file of the current state of your computer. Using HijackThis you can selectively remove unwanted settings and files from your computer. Because the settings identified in a HijackThis log file can belong to both legitimate software and unwanted malware, it is important to use extreme caution when choosing to removing anything using HijackThis.

Be careful though when you remove items with help of this software, make sure it is not the wrong one!

Sidney
12th May 2013, 01:46

I am not very well versed when it comes to this sort of thing, I mean how do I know that some virus isn't disguised as a legit file or vise versa.

AVG lawsuit. article here. dated May 13

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/199844/avg-gets-mixed-ruling-in-scareware-lawsuit.html

InCiDeR
12th May 2013, 02:02

I am not very well versed when it comes to this sort of thing, I mean how do I know that some virus isn't disguised as a legit file or vise versa.

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/199844/avg-gets-mixed-ruling-in-scareware-lawsuit.html

HijackThis scans you computer and creates a log file. It will not remove anything automatically. So you will be able to check a suspicious file that HijackThis discover on internet/google. You can also send the suspicious file up to this site for an analyze: https://www.virustotal.com/

It will not remove the file from you computer, it will just check if it is infected.

Sidney
12th May 2013, 02:10

HijackThis scans you computer and creates a log file. It will not remove anything automatically. So you will be able to check a suspicious file that HijackThis discover on internet/google. You can also send the suspicious file up to this site for an analyze: https://www.virustotal.com/

It will not remove the file from you computer, it will just check if it is infected.

ok i might give it a go in the morning. Im getting too tired to think about it tonight.

Mutchie
12th May 2013, 02:51
I always use Avast and im happy with that ... on a brighter note im glad to be back i was off Avalon for a while as my lap top went kapoot lol

vilcabamba
12th May 2013, 05:54
My computer is at the repairman's place right now b/c of AVG! $100 dollars down the toilet b/c i tried to use AVG's free antivirus.

I downloaded the free service and then tried to uninstall it after it didn't work well on my computer. Found out that after i uninstalled..i couldn't use the internet anymore b/c they messed up my internet connection. I'm pretty good with computers and could not fixed the mess they created. I called AVG and told them and they said they would fix it if i paid them money. So basically they said they would fix my computer remotely even though i could not connect to the internet. My question is - how on earth can they still get into my computer if i can't logon to the internet. Avoid that company. Something fishy is going on.

KiwiElf
12th May 2013, 14:26
Sorry to burst your bubble Bill :)

Bubble intact! :) I've been using Macs for over 20 years, and have never had a virus or spyware of any kind.

I'm with you, Bill! My ageing G4 celebrates 12 years of trouble free running (which at the time, was considered a "super computer" (WETA studios, in its infancy, had dozens of them linked together to produce their wizardry) and banned from sale to any non-US ally," is still running strong on all the original hardware and software - which primarily I use as a back up machine - it's as solid as a tank!) Not bad for a 12-year old computer. I've gone through four x PC's in the same period. Sorry to PC lovers, but "PC" to me means Piece of Crap!" (Same for the other version of "PC")

It's a shame that Apple doesn't advertise the fact that an Intel-based Mac will run PC software under Bootcamp (ie any Mac made in the last five years or so), BETTER than an actual PC - how embarrassing for Micro****e (which cannot run Mac software.) I compare it to VHS versus SONY's Betacam format which was vastly superior in quality. Oddly, the majority of consumers went VHS, but Betacam was by far better. *sigh*. Sheep consumer mentality?? Hmmmmmm ;) 80 % of the graphic design & related industry is Mac-based: there's a good reason for that. They're better. Deal with it PC lovers! :p

cursichella1
13th May 2013, 09:34
AVG missed several Trojans and viruses on my PC and laptop, four and two months ago, respectively. PANICKED, I ended up paying them to remove them because efforts on my own were useless. My computer guru tells me atm Avast is the best antivirus, and it is free. (So far, so good.)