PDA

View Full Version : The block on science that needs be removed - eliminating the gatekeeper

Carmody
14th May 2013, 20:33
We need a pirate bay for scientific articles. We need it very badly. We need an 'Anon' hacking all these systems to get all that data and publish it separately. Something to break their system of control. Completely. Utterly.

Over the decades, a situation has emerged where only a few companies are in complete control of science and it's advances.

This is due to them controlling the access to the scientific articles. They've made a very profitable business out of locking all science worth looking at, behind a giant paywall.

One has to be a member of a university or a major corporation to even begin to have access to all this data which was supposed to be free access.

Free access. Except for one thing.

A parasite has inserted itself into the system.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/50096804256/why-is-science-behind-a-paywall

Scientists’ work follows a consistent pattern. They apply for grants, perform their research, and publish the results in a journal. The process is so routine it almost seems inevitable. But what if it’s not the best way to do science?

Although the act of publishing seems to entail sharing your research with the world, most published papers sit behind paywalls. The journals that publish them charge thousands of dollars per subscription, putting access out of reach to all but the most minted universities. Subscription costs have risen dramatically over the past generation. According to critics of the publishers, those increases are the result of the consolidation of journals by private companies who unduly profit off their market share of scientific knowledge.

When we investigated these alleged scrooges of the science world, we discovered that, for their opponents, the battle against this parasitic profiting is only one part of the scientific process that needs to be fixed.

Advocates of “open science” argue that the current model of science, developed in the 1600s, needs to change and take full advantage of the Internet to share research and collaborate in the discovery making process. When the entire scientific community can connect instantly online, they argue, there is simply no reason for research teams to work in silos and share their findings according to the publishing schedules of journals.

Subscriptions limit access to scientific knowledge. And when careers are made and tenures earned by publishing in prestigious journals, then sharing datasets, collaborating with other scientists, and crowdsourcing difficult problems are all disincentivized. Following 17th century practices, open science advocates insist, limits the progress of science in the 21st.

The Monopolization of Science

In April 2012, the Harvard Library published a letter stating that their subscriptions to academic journals were “financially untenable.” Due to price increases as high as 145% over the past 6 years, the library said that it would soon be forced to cut back on subscriptions.

The Harvard Library singled out one group as primarily responsible for the problem: “This situation is exacerbated by efforts of certain publishers (called “providers”) to acquire, bundle, and increase the pricing on journals.”

The most famous of these providers is Elsevier. It is a behemoth. Every year it publishes 250,000 articles in 2,000 journals. Its 2012 revenues reached $2.7 billion. Its profits of over $1 billion account for 45% of the Reed Elsevier Group - its parent company which is the 495th largest company in the world in terms of market capitalization.

Companies like Elsevier developed in the 1960s and 1970s. They bought academic journals from the non-profits and academic societies that ran them, successfully betting that they could raise prices without losing customers. Today just three publishers, Elsevier, Springer and Wiley, account for roughly 42% of all articles published in the $19 billion plus academic publishing market for science, technology, engineering, and medical topics. University libraries account for 80% of their customers. Since every article is published in only one journal and researchers ideally want access to every article in their field, libraries bought subscriptions no matter the price. From 1984 to 2002, for example, the price of science journals increased nearly 600%. One estimate puts Elsevier’s prices at 642% higher than industry-wide averages.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not talking about making an uproar where they back down....and charge less.

I'm talking about getting rid of them. Completely. They are purposely blocking human advancement, for the purposes of being a parasite, at the bare minimum.

Ask yourself - What reward does that deserve?

778 neighbour of some guy
14th May 2013, 20:44
Advocates of “open science” argue that the current model of science, developed in the 1600s, needs to change and take full advantage of the Internet to share research and collaborate in the discovery making process.

And propel us out of the Quark Ages with blinding speed and confidence in a great prosperous future for all of mankind.

InCiDeR
14th May 2013, 20:57
Totally agree with you Carmody, this is a BIG issue. Also that most ideas and papers must pass a peer review and recieve an "OK stamp" from established science, otherwise it will never see the light of day. This will put chains on many new creative scientist and other "out of the box"-thinkers, maybe they could find new angles in an unfinished theory and therefore continue building their own.

I've quit. But I can pass your request and wishes... :playball:

ThePythonicCow
14th May 2013, 21:52
People continue to post on the web, on various forums or if they have sufficient interest on their own websites. People continue to publish books with a wide variety of content.

There are also "vanity" science journal publishers such as SCIENCEDOMAIN International (SDI) where Nassim Haramein published his latest paper, as described here (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?59067-New-connected-universe-theory-offers-alternative-explanation-of-gravity-and-the-source-of-mass--Nassim-Haramein-&p=673301&viewfull=1#post673301). The nominal fee for publishing your paper in SDI's "Physical Review & Research International" journal appears to be $500, but that fee appears to be currently waved for this particular SDI journal through June 30, according to the line that reads "Physical Review & Research International – 100% discount- (Effective APC: FREE)" on the page SDI: Publication Charge (http://www.sciencedomain.org/page.php?id=publication-charge).

So ... there are other ways to get one's results out there.

However ... these other ways are not "respected". See for example the Wikipedia discussion regarding SCIENCEDOMAIN International (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/SCIENCEDOMAIN_international). In this particular case, I suspect that Wikipedia is closer to right in their criticism of SDI, but in general one can expect the criticism that such alternative publishing venues (web forums and pages, self published books, ...) are not "properly peer reviewed" (either no peer review, or a sham peer review.)

The situation seems to resemble our medical profession and alternative health approaches. The entrenched medical profession has achieved deeply seated prejudices against alternative approaches in a variety of ways and means.

Almost all the money, main stream publicity, regulatory protection, judicial bias, and academic focus seems to flow toward the "respected" channels.

Old Snake
14th May 2013, 23:34
Carmody,

Thanks for this important one, and a good proposition, this ` leaching` should not exist.
Makes research extremely epensive,sometimes one has to go over a hundred papers "30 bucks`3K just gone,and surprise
some are not worth the paper................

Old Snake

ghostrider
15th May 2013, 05:12
Our whole way of life needs a tune up ... from banking , to science, politics, old patterns must be moved towards a better life for all ... bring back freedom and let necessity be the mother of invention ...

music
15th May 2013, 10:16
Now I myself would call myself a scientist, but my work is in non-contentious domians that receive little in the way of censure, yet from my experience I would say it is true that science is controlled in a very real way. There are just some universities and institutes, and some journals that I recognise as being agenda driven. When people cite work from these places to me, I just suck my teeth, Jamacian style, and smile.

Prodigal Son
15th May 2013, 12:25
Whenever I share suppressed scientific discoveries with Sleepers, their reaction is almost always "where did you get that? The Internet?" As if everything on here is a cauldron of maniacal ravings of ignorant imbeciles and professional bs artists. It drives me nuts. It makes me want to walk away from them and tell them to enjoy sleepwalking through whatever time they have left before the Fourth Reich puts the hammer down.

\They will only believe the crap on their boob-tube (a quite appropriate name for it). That is the basic stupidity that needs to change before we can accomplish anything.

soleil
15th May 2013, 14:40
if anyone knows how to send requests to an anonymous this should definitely be done

TargeT
15th May 2013, 15:27
if anyone knows how to send requests to an anonymous this should definitely be done

there's no real contact point for anonymous, as they are, well.... anonymous (haha)

your best bet is their IRC channel.

I don't know what it is, but I'm sure it could be found, perhaps:

http://search.mibbit.com/channels/AnonOps

or

http://anonnews.org/static/irc

Borden
15th May 2013, 15:38
I agree, Carmody, though I think it's unlikely to happen ... or if it attempts to happen their will be heavy artillery. I think 'science' is a more brilliant hegemony on perceived truth than religion.