PDA

View Full Version : High-Fructose Corn Syrup Set to Change Name to Corn Sugar

Laurel
21st May 2013, 03:32
Due to low sales in high fructose corn syrup, the Corn Refiners Association has requested FDA approval to change the name high fructose corn syrup to corn sugar.

That which we call high-fructose corn syrup by any other name would taste just as sweet—and have just as many bad side effects, no matter the name.

High-fructose corn syrup has taken a big hit this year. As new research has arisen showing that this corn-based artificial sweetener does indeed cause more weight gain than regular table sugar, high-fructose corn syrup sales have hit a 20-year low. This isn't for lack of effort on the Corn Refiners Association's part. Through a series of commercials and other marketing efforts, the Corn Refiners Association has fought to make the American public believe that there's no difference between HFCS and regular sucrose. Now the CRA is trying a different strategy in its campaign by petitioning the Food and Drug Administration to have this sweetener's name changed on food label packaging from "high-fructose corn syrup" to "corn sugar."

The Corn Refiners Association says the name proposed name change is meant to clear up consumer confusion. Recent research has tied high-fructose corn syrup to the obesity epidemic plaguing America, but the CRA says it wants consumers to understand that HFCS is a sugar, and like all sugar should be consumed in moderation. According to the CRA, the name change would reflect exactly what the product is—sugar—and where it comes from—corn.

While I agree that it’s important to take all sugar consumption—and not just that of HFCS— into consideration to control weight gain, the name change will likely cause more confusion than clarification. If the CRA is successful in their petition, consumers who would normally put a food item back on the shelf after spotting "high-fructose corn syrup" on the label will now be duped into buying products that contain it, thereby boosting high-fructose corn syrup sales—the more likely reason behind the proposed name change.

As with any consumer issue, knowledge is power. The name change could take up to two years to pass, but if it does, remembering to watch out for "corn sugar" instead of "high-fructose corn syrup" could do you (and your waist line) a world of good.

http://www.motherearthliving.com/natural-health/high-fructose-corn-syrup-change-name-corn-sugar.aspx#axzz2TtScculA

Tesla_WTC_Solution
21st May 2013, 05:38
That is the most depressing (but timely) news I've heard in a while.

Mulder
21st May 2013, 05:52
Arrrrgghhhhhhhhh! This is Orwellian, like the "Ministry of Truth" - telling lies and propaganda....

genevieve
21st May 2013, 16:53
"Oh, no. Now what?"
--genevieve, upon reading the thread title

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
genevieve

william r sanford72
21st May 2013, 17:55
big commercial beekeepers use it to supplement on the off season and esp if they follow the pollen trail.i seen hobbyist use it to.bad practice.shortens bees life..hint hint. so buy local and ask what they feed on the off season.thanks for thread.

AriG
21st May 2013, 18:19
Well, I think the positive thing here is that people are getting smarter about what is in their food. Simply changing the name of the product is not going to immunize them from scrutiny. Highly F****ed up corn syrup ( what we call it around my house) is indeed in everything, which is why we should all avoid processed foods altogether. Pure cane sugar ( no beet, etc) is the only truly safe sugar. Stevia appears to be ok, although not for people with oxalate sensitivity. Organic honey is our sweetener of choice. The real danger is this "corn sugar" is the glyphosate treated, genetically engineered corn from which it is extruded. Same rings true for soy. Please do not eat unfermented soy. Only fermented soy and organic and Non-GMO. This stuff is being promoted to death only as it is easy to grow and has become the number one crop in the US. Gotta do something with it. I was looking at "organic" mattresses the other day. They are using soy as a filler. Wonder how long it will take for that to leach into the body through transdermal osmosis. The only good use for raw soy is to add nitrogen to fix poor soil. Any other use is incredibly dangerous to your immune system. In fact, any legume is contra indicated for anyone with oxalate sensitivity or B-12 deficiency, as it is a thiamine inhibitor. The only exception is lentils ( sadly ). Sorry, this is a trigger topic for me as a steward of land and animals. Don't mean to ramble on. Oh - regarding animal feed - please acquire Non-soy, non-GMO for chickens, goats, cattle, etc. Obviously grass fed is the top choice, but oftentimes, a long winter does require some grain supplementation for the ruminants and you chicken keepers already know that you have to supplement year round, no doubt.

Nothingness
21st May 2013, 23:52
Corn and soy and most oils (including Canola) are GMO derivatives, unless they are organic. For a while it seemed like you could avoid GMO junk (just small zucchini, small yellow squash, and papaya for fresh vegetables), but now they have invaded most foods, especially here in the US. We are stuck with harmful chemicals, growth hormones, GMOs, and pollution in all of our food supply except for some organics. Corn syrup is bad, but even worse are the sugar substitutes.

Does anyone know about rice and it's preparation involving unhealthy amounts of strychnine? I started buying organic when that story came out. I have seen some sources denying it, but they weren't talking about the processing aspect.

I don't know about other countries, but I go by certain indicators here in the US for buying regular food. Check the dairy to see if it says "no growth hormones," if you buy dairy at all. Some frozen foods are labeled that they are "non-GMO," and there are updated listings for vegetables that are mostly GMO now. Fresh vegetables that are small and/or uniform are usually GM like those little carrots in a bag, and the small zucchini. Fruits are becoming mostly GMO, too. Now we also have to be careful of fresh produce that is being subjected to the roundup pesticide. I haven't checked to see if it is a systemic spray or not.

Almost all meat is fed GMO corn, but organic tofu is good, but non-organic tofu uses a lot of GM soy. Also, I don't buy anything that is imported from China. Their food is very toxic and polluted. Very bad stuff, but now with "austerity" budgets our governments excuse is that we don't have the money to check food, but plenty of money for drones, and the MIC.

For fresh produce if a PLU label starts with 8 or GM or G, it's GMO, or if it is 5-digits, it's GMO, but 4-digits are OK. Although, if enough people catch on to the labeling they will probably change it. In the end, if the GMO crops don't contaminate all the other crops, it's easier to just protest and fight GMO products every inch of the way.

I love that Poland burned down their GMO crops and said, no to GMO. I'm in a more remote area, so not really any substantial health food stores here, and growing your own in a high desert region is impossible without a green house and hauling more water in.

Laurel
22nd May 2013, 02:31
They're trying to be so sneaky and get away with as much as possible. Unfortunately, so many people out there won't even realize it when they check the ingredients label.
This is so similar to MSG labelled as natural flavors (with organic and all natural in bold lettering on the front of the package).

Even if the corn is non-GMO and organic, HFCS is still practically poison.

Nothingness
22nd May 2013, 03:56
They're trying to be so sneaky and get away with as much as possible. Unfortunately, so many people out there won't even realize it when they check the ingredients label.
This is so similar to MSG labelled as natural flavors (with organic and all natural in bold lettering on the front of the package).

Even if the corn is non-GMO and organic, HFCS is still practically poison.

Spot on for posting this, too. I forgot to say thank you to you for doing this thread Laurel. Thanks Laurel, and I hope if you run across anything more you will post it. I didn't know that about MSG, but honestly, I don't trust anything that says "natural ingredients." I've written to companies about whether their ingredients are GMO or not, and some try to respond with "all our ingredients are natural." Yeah, right.

They are getting nastier and sneakier as time goes on--nothing like the $40 million Monsanto and others poured into defeating the ballot in California for labeling of GM foods. Also, we import a lot of fresh produce from countries that are still using the DDT that we sold to them when it was banned in this country--what is worse is that the warnings on the bags of DDT are in English and a lot of farmers in other countries don't take precautions because they can't translate the English warnings.

What a lot of people don't realize, too, is that some pesticides are systemic via pesticide waterings, etc., which means the plants draw it in internally, so there is no washing it off because it's in the plant. That's why I'm concerned about the roundup fiasco.

Our country sold us out when they made a FTA regarding food with China, and now we get the worst of their polluted food. I wonder which politician got kick-backs from that.

Have you heard anything about the strychnine in rice more recently?

AriG
22nd May 2013, 13:19
I see a really good opportunity to utilize the ground crew concept that Bill Ryan talks about. He suggested that this concept was started as a support system for exchanges of resources and information when the SHTF. If we could get people together in geographic locations to see who has access to organic resources, who is growing and has surplus, etc., we might be able to put together some Regional CSAs. I do Non GMO free range eggs and Artisan cheeses. I am planning on starting about 50 turkey poults for organic turkey. I also grow artichokes and tomatos. Starting an orchard soon. Manure compost is my fertilizer and my only pesticides are garlic, cayenne and neem oils made with organic olive oil. I don't sell my surplus, I donate it. If this would work, it could be done for barter? Don't know if enough people live closely enough to make anything realistic happen, but it might warrant a conversation?

Nothingness
23rd May 2013, 04:32
I see a really good opportunity to utilize the ground crew concept that Bill Ryan talks about. He suggested that this concept was started as a support system for exchanges of resources and information when the SHTF. If we could get people together in geographic locations to see who has access to organic resources, who is growing and has surplus, etc., we might be able to put together some Regional CSAs. I do Non GMO free range eggs and Artisan cheeses. I am planning on starting about 50 turkey poults for organic turkey. I also grow artichokes and tomatos. Starting an orchard soon. Manure compost is my fertilizer and my only pesticides are garlic, cayenne and neem oils made with organic olive oil. I don't sell my surplus, I donate it. If this would work, it could be done for barter? Don't know if enough people live closely enough to make anything realistic happen, but it might warrant a conversation?

Yeah, I do think it has potential Arig--a tremendous amount. I live in the mountains in AZ. I don't know if there are any online websites that act as connectors, but there could be.

I'm older and organizing is done in a snap now, not like it used to be. I've seen all kinds of things get organized overnight nationally more recently. The PTB don't like people getting organized and you may wind up on a list, but that is the way things are these days. I'm already on a few lists.

I think what you are saying is very possible. I wish I lived close to you, and I'd be a customer. Oh my, organic turkey--Jennie Lee must be having a fit: those poor tortured and GM-fed turkeys may see the light of day, if some changes can be instituted and people connected.

I knew someone that did well with goats and goat's milk and cheese.

Honestly, I'd be working on this myself, but I'm older and I have mucho health issues, so I don't get much done these days. These people are great: http://www.permaculture.co.uk/videos/propaganda-gardening-incredible-edible-todmorden http://www.incredible-edible-todmorden.co.uk/

AriG
23rd May 2013, 17:24
Ah, the lists.. Well, I am happy to be on an organic farmer's list. Actually, I am not fooling with organic certification at all. It really doesn't tell the story about how the animals/plants are raised. Ethical certification seems to be the next wave. Funny thing....I cannot eat fowl of any type. In my experience, once you are intimately involved in their care, there is little difference between eating a chicken wing and mending one. You make the connection between the foodstuff and the living thing that sacrificed its life so others could live. Eggs are a different story. Those I eat with abandon. :) This is why I don't raise cattle. I still love a good steak now and then. And goats, what a gift to the planet. Like dogs with perks. Milking them? A nightmare. Truly. But worth it. They have a very advanced emotional intelligence. They even attempt to speak our language. The legends are not that far from the truth.

I too am facing some challenges being recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. The only way I can describe it is that it is like having the flu and a heart attack at the same time, or somewhat similar to the symptoms people describe with the bends ( deep sea diving variety). Working diligently to adjust to the medications to thwart any loss of activity...I am in my late 40's. I feel 90 these days... "This too shall pass", as do all things.

Shall we start a thread about getting a ground crew together by region?