PDA

View Full Version : The Mankind Project. Jungian Archetypes, Gestalt Therapy, an Analog to Auditing?

iNtrPrsnL aLcHmSt --0-o--
22nd May 2013, 04:20
Hello All:

This is my first post, and am glad to be a provisional member after reading here since the old forum.

I've recently come into contact with the group mentioned in the title. Synchronicity seemed to lead me to it, but from the research I've done on the group I've had trouble formulating an opinion one way or another. Thus, I put it to this forum of most learned and spirited individuals to perhaps share anything they may know of this group and it's potential usefulness to me.

I am about to turn 33, and have felt the end of a particular phase ending. Aware of some blockages inside I have desired a structured, ritualistic way to perhaps work out some 'engrams' and eliminate some negative patterns.

http://mankindproject.org/

They aren't looking for much money to do this weekend retreat thing, but I'm holding back a bit, interested to see if anyone has any insight.

Glad to be a part of this place, and hope to learn and share some love.

deridan
22nd May 2013, 22:21
gestalt therapy sounds useful from the base which it uses.
"Gestalt therapy is an existential/experiential form of psychotherapy that emphasizes personal responsibility, and that focuses upon the individual's experience in the present moment"
&
"Gestalt therapy focuses on process (what is actually happening) over content (what is being talked about).[6] The emphasis is on what is being done, thought, and felt at the present moment (the phenomenality of both client and therapist), rather than on what was, might be, could be, or should have been."
Quoted from wiki article.

the second quote is that it eliminates some excess processing,
and focuses on the end result which the accomplished person has got to... 'now/present'

Of the Jungian Archetypes
..he did not develop the Augusta Socionics or MTBI system which is familiar over the web, but did sort the major archtype types which personalities would have a preference to process in.

Jung himself is strange, admitting to the validity of esoteric situational systems such as i-ching,
and seeing astrological typying as valid (the prior i'm 100% sure of, read that recently, the 2nd, i read some time ago, so my specific expression confidence is less)

if we say, genetics
early naturing environment
and indeed arkasic or astral type currents affect the end
then the archtypes are the physio/psychological expression

of auditing,
it has been known that these have been improperly used in organisations to spread workforce to places of greatest potential output (maybe its local factors such as pay-grade negatively affecting this, , and experience being a positive affector)

---i'd go to the weekend thing, merely for the gestalt systemology

Tesla_WTC_Solution
22nd May 2013, 22:32
Hello there!! :) Don't mind me, I am a recent member too, and kind of nuts.

Anyhow, I currently see a Jungian analyst. I don't have the money to see him as often as I need,
but he seems to be a balanced, level-headed person for the most part.

Judging by your website reference, it looks like you have found something that will possibly make some kind of lasting impact on your life.
It looks as if people are being groomed for good leadership, which contributes to the good of all people.

There are so many awful barriers and stereotypes in our world, and if these people are helping men to counterbalance some of that nonsense that overwhelms our churches and tvs,
who can say that they are wrong?

I wish you well on your journey!

:)

P.S. I really liked this bit:

The New Macho

He cleans up after himself.
He cleans up the planet.
He is a role model for young men.
He is rigorously honest and fiercely optimistic.

He holds himself accountable.
He knows what he feels.
He knows how to cry and he lets it go.
He knows how to rage without hurting others.
He knows how to fear and how to keep moving.
He seeks self-mastery.

He's let go of childish shame.
He feels guilty when he's done something wrong.
He is kind to men, kind to women, kind to children.
He teaches others how to be kind.
He says he's sorry.

He stopped blaming women or his parents or men for his pain years ago.
He stopped letting his defenses ruin his relationships.
He stopped letting his penis run his life.
He has enough self respect to tell the truth.
He creates intimacy and trust with his actions.
He has men that he trusts and that he turns to for support.
He knows how to roll with it.
He knows how to make it happen.
He is disciplined when he needs to be.
He is flexible when he needs to be.
He knows how to listen from the core of his being.

He's not afraid to get dirty.
He's ready to confront his own limitations.
He has high expectations for himself and for those he connects with.
He looks for ways to serve others.
He knows he is an individual.
He knows that we are all one.
He knows he is an animal and a part of nature.
He knows his spirit and his connection to something greater.

He knows future generations are watching his actions.
He builds communities where people are respected and valued.
He takes responsibility for himself.
In times of need, he will be his brother’s keeper.

He knows his higher purpose.
He loves with fierceness.
He laughs with abandon, because he gets the joke.

This is a picture of mature masculine, of healthy masculinity - it is one redefinition of masculinity for the 21st century. By no means is this list complete. You are welcome to come and add your gifts to this community. www.mkp.org

DeDukshyn
23rd May 2013, 00:43
There will be others on Avalon who would tell you to stay away, of fear of "feminizing" modern man. The reality in my eyes is that both men and women have issues with balance. Both sexes need to be a little more neutral for optimal functioning together. It appears that this group aims to do exactly that from the "Man" point of view.

The best teacher is experience. If you join and don't like it -- you learned what you needed to from it. If you find it does fit your endeavours, a little greater reward. ;)

Good luck!

23rd May 2013, 01:02
Thanks for all the responses folks! Feeling a really positive vibe since I've transitioned from reader to provisional member. I'll respond in depth more when I get back home.

Camilo
23rd May 2013, 01:40
Welcome to PA iNtrPrsnL aLcHmSt. I'm not familiar with the topic, but I find it interesting from the info provided so far in the thread, and worth the time to look into it further.

Nothingness
23rd May 2013, 05:14
I lean toward the Gestalt and Jungian aspects and deridan's and Tesla's input. When I read about Freud selling out regarding people having repressed memories of childhood molestation and Jung picking up the ball, I've since favored Jung, and I think his shadow work is interesting and have used it and found good results.

I'm laughing because I'm older and was a woman in the "little missy/woman" era, and being a strong woman from a matriarchy family it didn't go over big with me. Laughing. But the matriarchy was a little off the charts, so I had to find a balance as DeDukshyn mentions. It makes for a kinder, gentler person.

24th May 2013, 01:22
Hi Nothingness - yeah something that the fellow from this organization mentioned was doing 'shadow work'. I'm not very knowledgeable on that topic, and while I'm sure I could research it online, I'd love to hear about any experiences you've had with it. Thanks!!

Nothingness
24th May 2013, 03:39
Hi Nothingness - yeah something that the fellow from this organization mentioned was doing 'shadow work'. I'm not very knowledgeable on that topic, and while I'm sure I could research it online, I'd love to hear about any experiences you've had with it. Thanks!!

Well, I don't know if shadow work is something that would resonate with you or not. I think people have to check their hearts for what seems right for their particular needs. I've done dream work also and found that useful, too, along with a lot of other things.

Shadow work is a big topic and includes archetypes and mythology and what have you. Jung dealt more with Western Caucasian mythology, and that doesn't always lend itself to people of other cultures and mythology, but the shadow work premise is universal.

To make it short, I am giving you a very simplistic version. Shadow work is one of many paths to pursue--just another perspective. Basically, it assumes, more or less, that we encompass all archetypes (people aspect blueprints) within, and all archetypes have shadow manifestations, and people, in general, deny much of their shadow aspects. Through shadow work, we are looking to achieve wholeness by incorporating our shadow aspects.

Unfortunately, our society (especially Western culture and American culture) likes to only recognize and endorse our "good" sides overall, and because we deny these shadow aspects, they often rule our conscious lives because we are unconscious of them, so, by incorporating all our aspects we have more power over our lives and our decisions (more of a forgiving and loving nature, too), and hopefully reach more of a wholeness through this work. We are less apt to be at war with ourselves and others.

It is more or less seen that our experiences act as mirrors, so what we see is a reflection back to ourselves. Sometimes this can get a little complex. But, for example, when we object to something we see in others, it is a mirror telling us that this is something we object to in ourselves (a shadow aspect in ourselves)--some aspect of it anyway.

So, the shadow work involves seeing this shadow aspect in ourselves and admitting it to ourselves, owning it, defining it, finding out where it originated in ourselves, forgiving it, and then incorporating that shadow aspect into ourselves, so that our totality can begin to emerge. In most cases, the shadow aspect has a good reason for existing and it often has a positive side to it, i.e., it protected us in certain situations. So a shadow aspect is not necessarily "bad."

I have had some very positive results from it both practically and spiritually. I will say that it has added to my humility and to being a kinder, gentler person. But, of course, I'm still working at it, and not completely whole by a long shot.

The shadow work and its premise could then be said to explain why we are at war with each other: Because we have not incorporated our shadow aspects. We object to others because we have not incorporated and forgiven that aspect in ourselves, and so are in many cases acting it out in our own lives--or some version of it.

Someone may object to my explanation, so I hope they jump in and add to it. I've been busy working on other things in my life in the last few years, so I am a little rusty on this.

There many books and approaches, and I have done more than one. And some books go into it more deeply than others. I recommend Debbie Ford's "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers." Some purists would probably disagree, but I found it to be simplistic and practical. It is more of popular book, but it is nonetheless effective to my way of thinking.

Nothingness
24th May 2013, 09:12

Actually, it seems you are into the auditing and Hubbard and Scientology, so I don't think the shadow work would be of interest to you.

kudzy
24th May 2013, 13:58
Hi iNtrP......

I did the Mankind Project's initiation weekend several years ago.
It was intense, powerful, emotional and worth it, I'm glad I did it.
I can't say anything about it, just be on time and do exactly as they say.
I went to some of the weekly meetings but never really followed up.
I say go for it, you'll be fine, they're a great bunch of caring men.
Best Wishes;
Kudzy

27th May 2013, 01:50
Okay cool! Thanks for the insight Nothingness - shadow work most certainly resonates with me. I don't really see THAT much difference btw that and the theory behind auditing. They both are about working with recollections of perceived negative events and then integrating them properly, yes?

Kudzy - thanks for the heads up on the Mankind initiation. It resonates with me, but there were some red flags that I wanted to fully investigate first. I do appreciate the first-hand insight though!

Hope everyone is well : )