PDA

View Full Version : The coming Global Cooling

Snowy Owl
28th September 2010, 03:46
The 58th Bilderberg Meeting will be held in Sitges, Spain 3 - 6 June 2010.

Here were the orders of talks.

The Conference will deal mainly with Financial Reform, Security, Cyber Technology, Energy, Pakistan, Afghanistan, World Food Problem, Global Cooling, Social Networking, Medical Science, EU-US relations. Approximately 130 participants will attend of whom about two-thirds come from Europe and the balance from North America. About one-third is from government and politics, and two-thirds are from finance, industry, labor, education, and communications. The meeting is private in order to encourage frank and open discussion.

http://myweb.wwu.edu/dbunny/research/global/looming-threat-of-global-cooling.pdf

Snowy Owl
28th September 2010, 03:50
The importance of planning ahead for cold weather

http://www.helium.com/items/1963069-...r-cold-weather

by Pamela Kay

The importance of planning ahead for cold weather can’t be overstated, whether it’s your home, your car or your wardrobe. Being prepared for whatever cold whether brings will make problems that arise both cheaper and easier to deal with and could actually save your life or that of a loved one.

*Smoke Alarms And Carbon Dioxide Detectors

Heating our homes in cold weather brings the added risk of fire and carbon dioxide poisoning. Now is the time to install or replace batteries in smoke alarms and carbon dioxide detectors. The cost is minimal and it only takes a few minutes to insure they are working properly.

Winterizing your home is an important part of planning ahead for cold weather and waiting until the last minute can be a big mistake. Check, and replace if need be, the insulation of all water pipes as well as that in the attic and under the floors. Cover your hot water heater with an insulation blanket and make sure there are no leaks.

more at
http://www.helium.com/items/1963069-...r-cold-weather

Salutations to all,

I would like to share with you what I have learned from my family, from First Nations and from Technology on how to insulated yourself in winter.

I will talk about Boreal Hemisphere People but I presume a lot of the means can be apply to the Xouthern Hemisphere coutries.

We must first look at the NorthWind, this wind is the coldest one and the most sustained one in the winter.

As you know most of the house windows are directed towards the south because our ancesters where aware of this nasty North Wind.

The second coldest wind is the West Wind it often brings cold from the northwest.

So I will concentrated on this post to two walls of your house or appartment the North Wall and the West wall.

Usually our great grand parents used to grow trees about 25 feet from the house on the north side and the west side to sort of stop or deviate those Winds. Leave them there.

If you do not have trees don't worry there are many solutions as you will see.

WHen it Snow, do not fight Nature. Built snow banks about 10 feets from the two walls, you will notice that snow tends to accumulate there so follow the wind and bring this snow from the peripphery of your land of you two walls and bring it at about 10 feet from your house. Do that at the beginning, the Winds do not argue and will pilled up its Wind Snow on the lay out you will have done.

The fondation is important for those two walls put few bags of soil about 4 inches high along the the walls fondation, it will avoid more water to melt at the base of the fondation.

The Doors needs a strip of isolator, it is not expensive and stop the cold from getting in.

The windows,
You must first close your window tighly and start putting gell insulator but from the outside FIRST, then put some around each window inside.

Check for yourself with an incences stick if there is still wind coming trough.

Do not forget electrical plugs and interruptors with you incence stick should dhow you how much breeze comes from those.

Insulate them, depending of you country go to the hardware store and they will tell you ehat to use, never use piece of clothe or any flammable things, in a winter time it would start a house fire.

ALways make sure that your dryer is tightly fix (the hose that brings hot air outside) and always keep the door of the fryer and the door of that room close.

If you run on 110 volts by small heating fan of 600 watts and put them on the floor at the corner of your northern and western walls on the floor about 5 feets from the corner and avoid putting anything in front of it. NEVER LEAVE THIS WITHOUT ANY PRESENCE IN THE HOUSE, check once in the while if the fan wire is hot if so get it away, at 600 watts it is NOT supposed to heat therefore get it away.

I hope this will help, I will post more thing as time allows.

Snowy Owl from the 48th Parralel
http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152905

Snowy Owl
28th September 2010, 11:49
RISK OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE BY BP OIL SPILL

Gianluigi Zangari

Frascati National Laboratories (LNF)
National Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN)
Frascati 00044, Via E. Fermi, 40, ITALY

Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research

Abstract: BP Oil Spill may cause an irreparable damage to the Gulf
Stream global climate thermoregulation activity.

The Gulf Stream importance in the global climate thermoregulation processes
is well assessed. The latest real time satellite (Jason, Topex/Poseidon, GeosatFollow-On, ERS-2, Envisat) data maps of May-June 2010 processed by CCAR1,2

(Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research), checked at Frascati
Laboratories by the means of the SHT congruent calculus3 and compared with past years data, show for the first time a direct evidence of the rapid breaking of the Loop Current, a warm ocean current, crucial part of the Gulf Stream.
As displayed both by the sea surface velocity maps and the sea surface height maps, the Loop Current broke down for the first time around May 18th and generated a clock wise eddy, which is still active (see Fig. 1).

Figure 1| Real time satellites data maps. Real time sea surface height maps (above) and as of today the situation has deteriorated up to the point in which the eddy has detached itself completely from the main stream therefore destroying completely the Loop Current, as in figure 2 below, dated June 12th 2010.

Figure 2| Real time satellites data maps updated. Real time sea surface height map (left) and sea surface velocity maps (right) updated on June 12th processed by CCAR1,2 and checked at LNF (Frascati) by SHT calculus3.

The star indicates the site of BP platform “Deepwater Horizon”. The yellow arrow indicates the breaking of the Loop Stream.

Since comparative analysis with past satellite data until may 2010 didn’t show
relevant anomalies, it might be therefore plausible to correlate the breaking of
the Loop Current with the biochemical and physical action of the BP Oil Spill on the Gulf Stream.

It is reasonable to foresee the threat that the breaking of a crucial warm
stream as the Loop Current may generate a chain reaction of unpredictable
critical phenomena and instabilities due to strong non linearities which may
have serious consequences on the dynamics of the Gulf Stream thermoregulation activity of the Global Climate.

PDF with images at http://www.associazionegeofisica.it/OilSpill.pdf

References:

1. CCAR web page: http://argo.colorado.edu/~realtime/welcome/;
2. Leben, R. R., G. H. Born, B. R. Engebreth, 2002, Operational altimeter
data processing for mesoscale monitoring. Marine Geodesy, 25, 3-18;
3. G. Zangari patent SIAE-OLAF n. 9903198/1999

Acknowledgements: we acknowledge Frascati National Laboratories
(www.lnf.infn.it) and the National Institute of Nuclear Physics (www.infn.it).

We also aknowledge the University of Colorado, Boulder, USA: the maps
displayed in Fig. 1 and 2 were produced by the Colorado Center for
Astrodynamics Research at the University of Colorado, Boulder, USA.

More information on these data products is available at
http://argo.colorado.edu/~realtime/welcome/.

Snowy Owl
28th September 2010, 11:57
more to come

bashi
28th September 2010, 12:28
show for the first time a direct evidence of the rapid breaking of the Loop Current, a warm ocean current, crucial part of the Gulf Stream.
As displayed both by the sea surface velocity maps and the sea surface height maps, the Loop Current broke down for the first time around May 18th and generated a clock wise eddy, which is still active (see Fig. 1).

Figure 1| Real time satellites data maps. Real time sea surface height maps (above) and as of today the situation has deteriorated up to the point in which the eddy has detached itself completely from the main stream therefore destroying completely the Loop Current, as in figure 2 below, dated June 12th 2010.

I consider this as deliberate disinfo.
snowy, before posting this nonsense you should have read this:
http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?4088-The-Breaking-of-the-Loop-Current-in-the-Gulf-Stream/page1

But please to the end...

Snowy Owl
28th September 2010, 14:28
Sorry but this is not disinfo, I share duly corroborated information. I respect your opinion but the fact is lets watch the weather in Groenland, Iceland and then Great Britain and Europe.

Denial is not a solution nor embracing anything but vigilance is a must now, wheter you like it or not, there are already alert level in Great Britain for a harsh winter.

Before we are assure if it is cause or not by the gulf stream we need time, but calling this Italian Peer Review report as disinfo seems quite narrow minded IMHO.

Time will tell

Truly

Snowy

Swami
28th September 2010, 14:37
Sorry but this is not disinfo, I share duly corroborated information. I respect your opinion but the fact is lets watch the weather in Groenland, Iceland and then Great Britain and Europe.

Denial is not a solution nor embracing anything but vigilance is a must now, wheter you like it or not, there are already alert level in Great Britain for a harsh winter.

Just went for groceries and although not sunny temperatures are nice down here in the Lowlands, no cold yet.....
Could change though but I dont have a crystal ball.......
Your a Dutchie...?

Fredkc
28th September 2010, 14:43
Well last week we barely got out of the 70's here, so I was all set to build an igloo in my yard.

The last 3 days we've had temps well over 100 (yesterday was 111 degrees, today, only 102) and so I have once again switched from igloos to grass huts, covered in sun block.

I wish someone would make up my mind! ;)
Fred

Snowy Owl
28th September 2010, 15:05
Up here in northern Québec Geezes have gone south 3 weeks ealier than usual, first time in elderlies memory. But no snow yet.

Because the earth spin from east to west Winds goes West to East so we are more worry about Europe than us just like last year except of the unusual cold of last year in US, in fact it was colder than us many days in California, ...but move along, nuthin to see.

I forgot to say that Boston, New York and Washington had more snow than up here in Québec last year.

Grizzom
28th September 2010, 15:37
I live in south Florida and I look forward to a little global cooling.

My electric bill is almost as much as I spend on food and any relief is welcomed. :p

Snowy Owl
28th September 2010, 15:56
12 Tips to Help You Choose Warm Clothes

In a 4 season climate, its nice to know how to dress warmly enough to stay comfortable outdoors. Here are some tips for doing so.

1. Dress in layers.

The more layers, the better. Dressing in layers of clothing does several things for you:

Layers fill up the space between you and your winter coat with insulation. An undershirt, a shirt, and a sweater each represent one layer. Your winter coat is yet another layer. The more layers of insulation, the better.

Layers tend to trap air better. If you have only an overcoat on, the warm air next to your body tends to leak out of the top and bottom of the overcoat as you make body movements. Layers help to hold this air in.

Layers allow you to regulate your body temperature more accurately. If you get too warm, you can always open up a layer -- starting with opening up the top of your overcoat and progressively opening up more and more layers as you get warmer and warmer.

2. Favor natural materials.

In my opinion, there is nothing warmer and lighter than a down overcoat. If you can, buy one that is rated to a certain temperature such as 20 degrees below zero Fahrenheit.

3. Don't get over-sold on synthetic materials.

Synthetic materials often come highly recommended. Before you buy synthetic materials, however, be aware of the following:

Wool will keep you warm even when it is wet. I know of no synthetic material that will do this.

Natural materials tend to breath better. This can be critical when you start to work up a little bit of a sweat and need to evaporate this sweat so that you don't become cold later when you are a little less active.

One exception is the value synthetics add as wind-breaking materials. It sometimes makes sense, for example, to have a pair of wool gloves (perhaps with leather palms for wear) covered by larger-than-your size mittens that have a nylon shell. This will keep your hands very warm.

4. Be aware that you lose more heat through your head than any other body part.

This can be very deceptive. Your head never feels cold. Why? Because your body sends more heat to your head than any other body part to protect it.

Keeping your brain warm is so critical that your body will sacrifice any other body part before it will let the brain get cold.

Just because your head does not feel cold does not mean you are not losing heat off the top of your head. Remember this forever! You will not feel yourself losing heat off the top of your head, but you are!

The reason your feet and hands are cold is because you are losing heat in the head area. Why? Because hands and feet are low priority and your head is top priority.

This is the body's system for rationing its limited heat supply. Because your head is given top priority when it comes to heat supply, it never feels cold even though it is in fact a giant heat dissipation module.

Remember! Your head leaks heat. Plug the leak.

If you will prioritize keeping your head warm, you will have won half the battle in keeping your body warm.

5. The dumber your head-gear looks, the warmer it is.

I was recently shopping at L.L. Beans. A man was looking at a bombardier hat with a leather cover and a sheepskin lining.

A woman who appeared to be his wife said to him, "Forget it! You're not wearing it!" Grimly, he put it back. He had just barely started to look.

The hat would have gone well with the character Jim Carey played in the film Dumb and Dumber. As dumb as it looks, it is also very warm.

Yes, head-gear that dramatically alters your appearance is incredibly warm. The converse is also true. Cool-looking winter hats are just that -- a little too cool temperature-wise.

Why do you think those Russian women wear those big fur hats when it's 20 below zero? Because fur is incredibly warm, that's why.

6. Keep your feet warm.

Your feet are in contact with the cold ground. You should wear well-insulated boots.

Again, favor natural materials. Wear wool socks if you can find them and layer them if necessary.

Sheep skin boots can also be quite warm.

7. Keep your neck warm.

A scarf around the neck or a jacket that zips up to your neck will do.

There are 2 important reasons for covering your neck:

You want to leave as little skin exposed as possible. This is the obvious reason.

A less obvious reason is that you want to seal the top of your jacket so that air does not leak out of the body of your jacket. You lose a lot of heat when the top of your jacket is basically an open hole surrounding your neck. If you were a boat, you'd sink.

Patch up the leaks wherever you can. Be sure to buy a jacket that has velcro seals on the cuffs of the sleeves so that you get a tight seal against the cold around your wrists.

8. Prioritize! Decide in advance which body parts you wish to keep warmest.

This was taught to me by a lady from Norway. She says that keeping your priorities straight will help keep you warmer. Some body parts are more important than others.

Here is how I suggest you prioritize based on what I learned from her:

* First, you want to keep your torso warm.
* Second, your want to keep your head warm.
* Third, you want to keep your feet warm.
* Fourth, you want to keep your neck warm.
* Fifth, you want to keep your hands warm.
* Sixth, you want to keep your legs warm.

By focusing on what is most important first, you are likely to stay warmer. Why? Because ignoring a very important priority area, such as the head, will make you cold very quickly.

9. Make sure you don't sweat.

If you get too warm. you sweat. This is very bad. If you sweat, you get wet. If you get wet, you get cold.

How do you avoid sweating? Make sure you peel off your layers as you start to get warm. A very fast way to cool off is to open up your jacket. Another is to take off your hat.

Anything that helps you to radiate heat will help you to cool down. Taking off your mittens turns your fingers into radiator prongs radiating heat. Taking your hat off turns your head into one giant radiator prong radiating heat.

The key is to stay on top of it. At the first sign of excessive warmth, start opening things up. Usually this happens when you are doing something that causes you to exert yourself, such as climbing a hill.

10. Keep your face warm by keeping the rest of your body warm.

Yes, you can cover your face with a scarf or a face mask. Do so if it is cold enough and you have to. However, I find covering my face to be uncomfortable.

I prefer to employ another tactic. I like to keep the rest of my body so warm that I can afford to lose warmth through my face.

Think of it as a bank account. Warmth you preserve with other parts of your body can be spent on your face. Call this tactic saving face if you need an easy mnemonic.

11. Wear long underwear.

Besides providing an extra layer, long underwear saves your legs if all you are wearing are blue jeans.

12. Buy a good winter coat.

I've saved the best suggestion for last. Here are some of the features you want in a winter coat:

Make sure it features down insulation. In spite of commercial advertising to the contrary, there is nothing warmer than down -- in my opinion.

Make sure it is rated. My coat is from L.L. Beans. It is rated to 20 degrees below zero (fahrenheit). It is quite warm. You can do even better than this at a mountaineering store if you need to.

Note that the ratings on coats are generally geared towards moderate activity. If you are planning on standing around gazing at the stars through your telescope, you may need to buy something that is even warmer.

Make sure it has a hood. This is important because it represents yet another layer. You should wear both a hat and a hood if it is very cold.

Ideally the hood will stick out in front of your face just like the hoods of Antarctic explorers you see in National Geographic. This traps air near your face. The fur lining that lines the hood is a further air trap. A natural fur can provide a further benefit; it reflects heat back to your face.

Unfortunately for warmth, the fur on my hood is cotton and acrylic.

Make sure that all openings on the jacket seal. This includes the top of the jacket and the sleeves. There should be a pull string that lets you adjust the waist so that you don't lose air out of the bottom.

Buy a coat that is long enough. I special ordered mine in a long size. The racks in the store did not carry one that was long enough to suit me.

Ideally, I want a winter coat to extend far down on my thighs and the sleeves to reach down to my hands.

Conclusion

How you feel about wintertime is largely dependent on how good a job you do of keeping yourself warm. It's a modest ambition -- wanting to stay warm. But it is very important to your wintertime morale.

http://www.websiterepairguy.com/arti...stay_warm.html

Snowy Owl
28th September 2010, 16:06
I had the privilege to make two survival session one in the desert of New Mexico and one in the Winter 400 miles north of Winnipeg, Manitoba canada each of them last one week survival.

Let me tell you this, when it is cold you can warm up, move, rub, breathing etc..

I found the desert not very generous to cool myself.

Arpheus
29th September 2010, 05:07
Its september 29th and i have my ac running right now,i live in new england rhode island state,i find this weather to be pretty anomalous so far no cold yet wich is pretty unusual for this time of the year around here.It may be a bit early to tell but so far this cooling theory has failed so we shall see.

Carmody
29th September 2010, 05:37
Frost on my window 6 inches thick.

Smoke coming out of chimneys and then immediately falling to the ground and pooling around the house.

-45C anti-freeze in the car..is not enough. You have to park the car so the front never faces the wind.

putting 4 blankets under the mattress, as too much heat blows out of the bottom of the mattress to keep you warm.

walking to school as kids in a line, that breaks the wind, each of us turning ourselves so one side would begin to cool..then flip the body...cool the other side..then move to the back of the line. Rotate like that, all the way to school.

On the warm days, at outdoor parties, keeping the beer and booze inside the snowsuit to stop it from freezing.

Never leaving the house without telling someone where you are going. Even if it just a few blocks away to the store.

I've seen -55F. Once. Thankfully it was not windy that day.

Listening to trees explode in the dead of night, from the extreme tension of the frozen fluids inside of them.

You know, cold. actual cold. Never being warm for 6 months. Never seeing street pavement for 6 months, just ice.

If warm, so dry that the humidity is in the 10 % range.

Snowbanks higher than the roof of your house.

I never want to be cold again.

Snowy Owl
29th September 2010, 06:01
Rhode Island is far enough the Gulf Stream that you still have the Souther West Wind into your Zone, and looking at LA yesterday you gonna get another one next wee I believe.

It is easy to understand if we observe not just look (Don Juan).

If the Gulf Stream would have been permanently stop by the Oil Spill, as it has objectively and duly internationaly corroborated happened many consecutive days in the last few months, it tells that we are bound to be submit of a kind of Temperature we had last year with Cold and Snow, many knows what I am taling about, if the Gulf Stream had permanently stop. in few months, hwll would have break loose in Europe, and Russia who last year had one of their worst cold records. And yes this second harsh Winter incoming by a clear majority of datas is confirm.

Catastrophy for Scandinavia, Europe, Eat Europe, Russia, China and probably Alaska, Canada, the Northern and Mid-West and finally the East coast, worst than last year is annouces just as an Hurricane is, we just have to prepare, thats all, it is cheap but it takes about two days, but then its done for all you Hibernation.

I have been working in International Public Health since 7 years now, my objective is simple, reduce morbidity and mortality in face of crisis.

bashi
29th September 2010, 15:17
Sorry but this is not disinfo, I share duly corroborated information.

Before we are assure if it is cause or not by the gulf stream we need time, but calling this Italian Peer Review report as disinfo seems quite narrow minded IMHO.

Snowy

As long as you can not "corroborate" more on it, i call this Italian Mambo Jambo what it is:

DISINFO !!!

Ba-ba-Ra
29th September 2010, 17:11
As long as you can not "corroborate" more on it, i call this Italian Mambo Jambo what it is:

DISINFO !!!

Bashi, I understand your position. I don't like fear-mongering with disinformation; however I must say my own personal research shows that the breaking of the current to be a strong possibility....... So, I agree with Snowy Owl: Better safe than sorry. I use to live in snow country; we could count on every winter that the power would be off any where from 1 to 5 days. It always surprised me that every winter some folks were caught off guard.

Where I live now, we rarely get more than a dusting of snow. But last year we got 8 inches, and it lasted for 4 days. The power was out for 2 of those days and because it was a "rare" event, there were no provisions to have the roads plowed, so we were not able to drive, as most here don't have 4-wheel vehicles. Many didn't have boots or wool hats and gloves. Yet, when I reminded neighbors recently that it might be a good idea to purchase those items their comment was: "That won't happen again for another 20 or 30 years".

I personally don't understand that mentality. Why not be prepared - then if it doesn't happen no big deal, but if it does, it is a big deal and a happy one.

bashi
29th September 2010, 17:45
I must say my own personal research shows that the breaking of the current to be a strong possibility.......

You didnt get my point.
I am not lambasting against Global Cooling, which i would call "Global Weirding".
I am just against posting false info to justify a claim, which most likely is correct.

This is what has been quoted:
"Laboratories by the means of the SHT congruent calculus3 and compared with past years data, show for the first time a direct evidence of the rapid breaking of the Loop Current, a warm ocean current, crucial part of the Gulf Stream.
As displayed both by the sea surface velocity maps and the sea surface height maps, the Loop Current broke down for the first time around May 18th and generated a clock wise eddy, which is still active (see Fig. 1)."

The Loop current did not brake down for the first time. It broke down 38 times within the last 30 years and that has not effected the Gulf Stream.

See here: http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?4088-The-Breaking-of-the-Loop-Current-in-the-Gulf-Stream&p=43443&viewfull=1#post43443

If you conclude from this wrong "info" that the Gulf Stream has broken, then you end up getting debunked. Which might be the intention why the info has been posted. Any more serious scientific discussion somewhere else and on a different level can be easily muffled by debunking the italian info. i think its better to set the record straight.

BTW yesterday we got a warning from the weather forecast that freezing temperatures during the night can be expected in southern Germany. and we are still in September...

Fredkc
29th September 2010, 17:54
Seems no one is willing to settle for "Global Weather"

"Riders on the storm..."
Fred

Snowy Owl
29th September 2010, 18:53
From Riders on the storm to 'The Magna Carta Lords of the Ages (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayd-V3n9b8A) I would say FredKC

Snowy Owl
29th September 2010, 19:26
First snowmen of the season spotted as surprise cold snap sweeps across Britain
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 6:47 AM on 28th September 2010
Comments (39)

Britain has received its first autumn snowfalls for the year as a surprise cold snap sent millions reaching for the central heating controls this weekend.
Summer made a particularly swift exit from the Highlands as the first sprinklings of snow paid an early visit to the north of Scotland.

The last time Britain saw a September cold snap as severe as this current one was in 2003, when much of northern England was below freezing.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315636/First-snowmen-2010-spotted-shivering-Scotland.html#ixzz10weq6cmX

Steven
30th September 2010, 12:50
Thanks a lot Snowy Owl for the document 'the looming threat of gloabal cooling'. I really appreciated it and found it accurate. Year 2008 was the coolest year of the century; globally, we are definitly cooling, not heating up.

Here a graphic that shows a bit of weather pattern on Earth in the long run: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vostok_Petit_data.svg

According to this data, we are cooling down for a very long period of time. The last Ice Age was about 20000 years ago and the next one will be in ±80000 years. We are currently bathing in 'warm' weather on the cooling slope.

Namaste, Steven

Snowy Owl
30th September 2010, 13:30
From last January

Arctic freeze and snow wreak havoc across the planet

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6975867.ece

From Times Online

January 4, 2010

Arctic air and record snow falls gripped the northern hemisphere today, inflicting hardship and havoc from China, across Russia to Western Europe and over the US plains.

There were few precedents for the global sweep of extreme cold and ice that killed dozens in India, paralysed life in Beijing and threatened the Florida orange crop. Chicagoans sheltered from a potentially killer freeze, Paris endured sunny Siberian cold, Italy dug itself out of snowdrifts and Poland counted at least 13 deaths in record low temperatures of about minus 25C (-13F).

The heaviest snow yesterday hit northeastern Asia, which is suffering its worst winter weather for 60 years. More than 25 centimetres (10in) of snow covered Seoul, the South Korean capital — the heaviest fall since records began in 1937.

In China, Beijing and the nearby port city of Tianjin had the deepest snow since 1951, with falls of up to 8in and temperatures of minus 10C. In the far north of China, the temperature fell to minus 32C. More than two million Beijing and Tianjin pupils were sent home and 1,200 flights were delayed or cancelled at Beijing’s international airport.

The same far-eastern weather system took its toll of Sakhalin, the Russian island off Siberia, which was hit by blizzards and avalanches. Farther west, in northern and eastern India, more than 60 people, mainly homeless, died of exposure. Thousands of schools were closed. In Uttar Pradesh, the state neighbouring Nepal, the authorities spent £1.3 million on blankets and firewood for needy households.

Western Russia suffered a deep freeze as snow swept across the Baltic and north-central Europe, leaving the worst devastation in Poland, where 13 people died, bringing the toll from the cold this winter to 122.

Up to ten skiers died or were missing in avalanches. The worst incident was in the Diemtig Valley in Switzerland on Sunday, when avalanches hit a group of skiers and then the rescuers who went to their aid. Eight people were pulled from the snow alive, but four died, including an emergency doctor, and three more were missing.

In Italy, emergency services struggled with rare cold and ice. Motorways in the northeast were closed and military helicopters were sent to Sicily with medical aid.

In the United States, heavy snow fell again on the northeast.
In Burlington, Vermont, a record 33in of snow fell in a weekend storm. The previous record in a three-day period was set in 1969. Residents of the Northern Plains were warned to expect lethally cold temperatures of about minus 30C.

The icy conditions of Western Europe, which broke records in half a dozen countries in December, are expected to last for at least another week.

Guo Hu, the head of the Beijing Meteorological Bureau, linked this week’s conditions to unusual atmospheric patterns caused by global warming.

Meteorologists were also trying to find a pattern in the heavy rains that have hit equatorial regions and the southern hemisphere in the past week.
At least 20 people have been killed in flash floods in Kenya after torrential rains made thousands homeless.

In Australia, the authorities declared a natural disaster along the Castlereagh River as it peaked after torrential rain, forcing 1,200 residents to abandon their homes for high ground.

In Brazil, the death toll from flooding and mudslides over the past four days rose above 80.

Closer to home, forecasters have warned Britons to brace themselves for a freezing cold, bleak new year — this winter is set to be the coldest for more than 30 years.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

The importance of planning ahead for cold weather
Salutations to all,

I would like to share with you what I have learned from my family, from First Nations and from Technology on how to insulated yourself in winter.

I will talk about Boreal Hemisphere People but I presume a lot of the means can be apply to the Xouthern Hemisphere coutries.

We must first look at the NorthWind, this wind is the coldest one and the most sustained one in the winter.

As you know most of the house windows are directed towards the south because our ancesters where aware of this nasty North Wind.

The second coldest wind is the West Wind it often brings cold from the northwest.

So I will concentrated on this post to two walls of your house or appartment the North Wall and the West wall.

Usually our great grand parents used to grow trees about 25 feet from the house on the north side and the west side to sort of stop or deviate those Winds. Leave them there.

If you do not have trees don't worry there are many solutions as you will see.

WHen it Snow, do not fight Nature. Built snow banks about 10 feets from the two walls, you will notice that snow tends to accumulate there so follow the wind and bring this snow from the peripphery of your land of you two walls and bring it at about 10 feet from your house. Do that at the beginning, the Winds do not argue and will pilled up its Wind Snow on the lay out you will have done.

The fondation is important for those two walls put few bags of soil about 4 inches high along the the walls fondation, it will avoid more water to melt at the base of the fondation.

The Doors needs a strip of isolator, it is not expensive and stop the cold from getting in.

The windows,
You must first close your window tighly and start putting gell insulator but from the outside FIRST, then put some around each window inside.

Check for yourself with an incences stick if there is still wind coming trough.

Do not forget electrical plugs and interruptors with you incence stick should dhow you how much breeze comes from those.

Insulate them, depending of you country go to the hardware store and they will tell you ehat to use, never use piece of clothe or any flammable things, in a winter time it would start a house fire.

ALways make sure that your dryer is tightly fix (the hose that brings hot air outside) and always keep the door of the fryer and the door of that room close.

If you run on 110 volts by small heating fan of 600 watts and put them on the floor at the corner of your northern and western walls on the floor about 5 feets from the corner and avoid putting anything in front of it. NEVER LEAVE THIS WITHOUT ANY PRESENCE IN THE HOUSE, check once in the while if the fan wire is hot if so get it away, at 600 watts it is NOT supposed to heat therefore get it away.

I hope this will help, I will post more thing as time allows.

SNowy Owl from the 48th Parralel