PDA

View Full Version : Is Garlic actually a poison?

sheme
26th March 2013, 17:09
Back in the 1980's, in his research on human brain function, Dr Robert [Bob] C. Beck, DSc. found that garlic has a detrimental effect on the brain. He found that in fact garlic is toxic to humans because its sulphone hydroxyl ions penetrate the blood-brain barrier and are poisonous to brain cells.

Dr Beck explained that as far back as the 1950s it was known that garlic reduced reaction time by two to three times when consumed by pilots taking flight tests. This is because the toxic effects of garlic desynchronize brain waves. "The flight surgeon would come around every month and remind all of us: "Don't you dare touch any garlic 72 hours before you fly one of our airplanes, because it'll double or triple your reaction time. You're three times slower than you would be if you'd [not] had a few drops of garlic."

For precisely the same reason the garlic family of plants has been widely recognized as being harmful to dogs." end quote.

How I love Garlic and onions and the rest of the family.

I had no idea this was a hindrance to spiritual growth. What have been your experiences with mixing garlic and OBE, Shamanism, meditation healing etcetera?

http://kurma.net/essays/e19.html

sirdipswitch
26th March 2013, 17:42
I eat so much garlic, that mosquitos won't even land on me, let alone bite me. cccccccc.

The One
26th March 2013, 17:46
My opinion never believe an expert

Garlic onions love them

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/homy_design/homy_design1010/homy_design101000103/8032968-ripe-onions-and-garlic-isolated-on-a-white-background.jpg

Snookie
26th March 2013, 17:56
Total BS is my opinion. I grew up in an area with a lot of Ukrainian people who ate a ton of garlic & onions. They were sick way less often than anyone else. I love them both myself and don't think eating them hinders me spiritually.

shadowstalker
26th March 2013, 18:05
WHO is Dr. Beck??????
And when did nature become our enemy?
Aside from the GMO's and chemtrails messing with nature herself.

sheme
26th March 2013, 18:15
I feel bereft as well but his remarks coupled with the ancient wisdom makes me doubt. I will cut down on it's use. As I can't see the air force forbidding its use for 3 days before flight because they believed it's ingestion would impair their reflexes (2-3 times slower) with out foundation.
I searched, I shared, You decide!

Daughter of Time
26th March 2013, 18:17
Garlic is one of the very first things dispensed by most Naturopaths when dealing with any condition which involves infections, viruses, fungi, parasites, molds and bacteria. Garlic is nature's anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitical, anti-viral.

Allicin (liquid garlic extract) contains one entire bulb for every 10 drops.

Allimax (dried garlic capsules) contains one entire bulb per capsule!

The above have been incredibly efficient in killing infections and other above mentioned pathogens.

Upon taking one of the above garlic supplements, some people will experience a sense of relaxation. For such people it is best to take the supplements at bedtime. Perhaps, for this matter pilots were told not to take garlic before flying. This would make sense. Bedtime is the best time for powerful garlic supplementation. But regular garlic in cooking is not powerful enough to cause any slowing of the system, however it still provides health benefits.

Onions have similar properties to garlic but nowhere nearly as powerful. This is why there are no onion supplements.

Of course, some people are allergic to garlic and onions, in which case, they cannot ingest them.

But above and beyond allergies, garlic is a powerful food and supplement.

Lifebringer
26th March 2013, 18:20
I find that onions and garlic do help me to relax which is one of the reasons I use both. Onions help bring on natural chemicals the stop insomnia in it's tracks. As for garlic, whenever there was an infection via blood, virus, bacteria, the body readily accepted garlic as a immune booster to fight the same. I have noticed that after a good spaghetti dinner out on the town, I get sleepy, but what's the harm in going to sleep?

Dr. Jethro Kloss was kicked out of this country by the same quacks that refused to listen about holistic herbs the body's cells accept better than "lab drugs/untested/bribed w/pharma stockshares CDC.

I've seen many a flu bug also get kicked in the cajones, when added to a chicken soup or broth.

Check around, sometimes those in charge and "on the take" are skewing the evidence/results while pushing their portfolio products.

Seek and ye shall find.

araucaria
26th March 2013, 18:35
They also say brassicas are bad for something, and other things are not good for this or that. What is an omnivore to do, never mind a vegetarian?

I personally don’t think onions do too much damage to reflexes. I eat loads of ‘em and when I am approached at close range by an 70-80 mph tennis ball, I can do more with it than most people I know.

Secondly, if onions hinder both reflexes and spiritual growth, it almost sounds like you need good reflexes for spiritual growth. Is this perhaps why the clergy are sometimes nicknamed sky pilots? :)

The best way to develop reflexes is through practice, and the same holds imo for spiritual growth, and many other things besides.

Snookie
26th March 2013, 18:42
I have also read an "old wives tale" about onions in a health article that apparently is true. If you are sick with a cold or flu you should cut an onion in half and put it in your bedroom beside your sickbed. The onion is supposed to attract the toxins in the air. Within a day or so the onion will turn black which indicates it has toxins in it.

GloriousPoetry
26th March 2013, 19:08
Garlic is the king of herbs.....here in Mexico everything taste better with garlic and onions........the combination of both have a tonic effect on the body. Garlic is a natural penicilin.

Flash
26th March 2013, 19:16
In my o nion, eat what you want, vary as much as you can your kinds of intake and enjoy life to the fullest.(grammatical mistake intended)

jsb_swampfox
26th March 2013, 19:31
WHO is Dr. Beck??????
I get what your saying but being a wild mushroom collector and consumer....in my opinion one of the most dangerous hobby's for someone to pick up unless you REALLY know what your looking at. Nature can kill for sure. I love onions and cant seem to get enough garlic...lol

Maunagarjana
26th March 2013, 19:31
Assuming that they do slow reaction times (which I seriously doubt), I think it's quite a logical leap to say that they are bad for the brain or organs or especially that they are a hindrance to spiritual growth. I'd like to see some serious scientific papers on this though.

shadowstalker
26th March 2013, 19:36
WHO is Dr. Beck??????
I get what your saying but being a wild mushroom collector and consumer....in my opinion one of the most dangerous hobby's for someone to pick up unless you REALLY know what your looking at. Nature can kill for sure. I love onions and cant seem to get enough garlic...lol

I get what ur saying to.
Anything can be Poisson to certain individuals for certain things in nature I.E. peanuts and such. it's all in personal chemistry, and whether it is designed for human consumption.

Daughter of Time
26th March 2013, 19:43
I have also read an "old wives tale" about onions in a health article that apparently is true. If you are sick with a cold or flu you should cut an onion in half and put it in your bedroom beside your sickbed. The onion is supposed to attract the toxins in the air. Within a day or so the onion will turn black which indicates it has toxins in it.

It works even better if the onion, cut in half, is placed directly on the chest.

AuCo
26th March 2013, 19:55
Well, mom said garlic is good [for health], just throw away the ones that have started sprouting - those are toxic. I also know that [Vietnamese] Buddhist monks are NOT to eat garlic & onions.

sheme
26th March 2013, 20:00
http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/junk-foods-garlic-and-onions/index.html

Quote from above source
Even though garlic or onions are not processed or altered, they are regarded as junk foods because they do not contribute to the welfare of the body when ingested. On the contrary, they contribute to disease by adding toxins to the body. As you will learn from this lesson, there are no health benefits to reap from ingesting either of these foods. They both contain toxic irritants which result in much harm when included in the diet and should, therefore, never be consumed. The importance of this statement will become evident upon completion of this lesson.

I dare to read this and not reconsider the OP as a fact! OH NO I have convinced my self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

northstar
26th March 2013, 20:12
sheme this is interesting information. I ate garlic and onions for years and I really enjoy them. Then a few years ago I came across an article by a doctor (I can't remember the name of the doctor or the website) but he gave compelling reasons why garlic should be avoided. I remember being very dismayed and skeptical because of the huge amount of information out there that garlic is so healthy....
I must say it hasn't stopped me from continuing to eat and enjoy garlic and onions but it is interesting "food for thought" haha

Flash
26th March 2013, 20:19
I just made a black beans soup with full of garlic and onions. Also a lighter bean salad with red onions and veges.

The soup is reaaaally good.

So both, my daughter and I will have a slow evening!!! lol And few brain cells gone.

sheme
26th March 2013, 20:23
I know I am devastated , some one must make garlic without the X factor???????? I LOVE Garlic!!!

But I used to love nicotine and I got over that>

The One
26th March 2013, 20:57
I know I am devastated , some one must make garlic without the X factor???????? I LOVE Garlic!!!

But I used to love nicotine and I got over that>

You should not be devastated i guarantee you will find more websites promoting the benefits of garlic than not.

So, what is it about garlic that makes it such a boon to our health? When cloves are chewed, crushed or cut, they release a sulphur-bearing compound called allicin -- the chemical that gives garlic its pungent aroma. And it’s the allicin that scientists have discovered is the magic ingredient thought to be responsible for garlic’s therapeutic qualities.

“Allicin is the remarkable agent that fights bacteria,It seems to even fight some infections that are normally resistant to antibiotics.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CFUQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.medicalnewstoday.com%2Freleas es%2F40486.php&ei=RQtSUbrtEI67PfrbgKAO&usg=AFQjCNHIAWWFjOwVwHwJyt35n0mlJVcLvQ&bvm=bv.44342787,d.ZWU&cad=rja

Snookie
26th March 2013, 21:01
I took garlic pills this winter when I had a terrible cough. I'm convinced the pills helped me get over it sooner.

Whippet
26th March 2013, 21:02
I can believe it. I read somewhere that breathing is also damaging to brain cells. I've tried to stop, but I've realized that I am hopelessly addicted to this harmful habit. I suspect that most of my brain cells have been compromised as a result, and I am struggling with the thought that this may be why I am so quick to believe that garlic and onions also destroy brain cells. This aggravating thought has made me very depressed, and I'm considering an overdose of garlic to destroy the functioning brain cells causing this depression. Has anyone had any success with such a treatment?

sheme
26th March 2013, 21:21
I love whippets, I still love Garlic. :o

Unicorn
26th March 2013, 21:24
I've read that in the Ancient Egypt, slaves were given garlic and onion as a staple food because both gave them more endurance.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
26th March 2013, 22:01
I don't know about garlic reducing reaction time -- I think that is bull -- but it will cause a dramatic spike in your farts per hour if not prepared optimally.

Unicorn
26th March 2013, 22:03
By the way, didn't Inelia Benz said something about garlic and onions not too good for spirituality? I don't remember exactly, and I can't find it in the search.

sheme
26th March 2013, 22:04
Endurance or passivity? Is this why we love Garlic? Are we having our brain halves separated? Are we dependant, I must admit I think I will miss garlic more than nicotine.

Did 'they' hold Garlic in front of the symbolic cinematic demon/vampire to watch him wither or to watch us wither knowing we would eventually adopt it as a veggie saviour miracle cure that might eventually be our mental undoing. I don't know but I will not dismiss this information out of hand. It must be placed on the scales of my reality.

WhiteFeather
26th March 2013, 23:01
sheme this is interesting information. I ate garlic and onions for years and I really enjoy them. Then a few years ago I came across an article by a doctor (I can't remember the name of the doctor or the website) but he gave compelling reasons why garlic should be avoided. I remember being very dismayed and skeptical because of the huge amount of information out there that garlic is so healthy....
I must say it hasn't stopped me from continuing to eat and enjoy garlic and onions but it is interesting "food for thought" haha

IMO Whatever a Doctor says do the complete opposite. Doctors cannot make any money on healthy persons. My spider sense tingled when i read your post. There is more to gain from eating garlic and onions than not ingesting it. Garlic is the most incredible herb that The Creator/Great Spirit put on this Earth. Besides Im Italian and my Italian Mother wouldnt appreciate this thread. ;)

Garlic - is one of the earth's greatest health tonics and does indeed have scientifically-proven medicinal properties. It contains a substance called Allicin, which has anti-bacterial properties that are equivalent to a weak penicillin. It is a natural antibiotic and is useful in treating everything from allergies to tonsillitis. Garlic contains many sulfur compounds which detoxify the body, boost the immune system, lower blood pressure and improve circulation. Garlic has also demonstrated anti-cancer, antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-oxidant effects.

The smooth muscle relaxant Adenosine is found in Garlic and this seems to help lower blood pressure. Garlic is also used to help prevent atherosclerosis (plaque build up in the arteries causing blockage and possibly leading to heart attack or stroke), reduce colds, coughs and bronchitis.

Garlic can stimulate the production of glutathione, an amino acid which is known to be a very potent antioxidant and de-toxifier. See also our article on NAC for more gluathione info. Antioxidants help scavenge free radicals.

Free radicals are particles that can damage cell membranes, interact with genetic material and possibly contribute to the aging process as well as the development of a number of conditions including heart disease and cancer. Free radicals occur naturally in the body but environmental toxins (including ultraviolet light, radiation, cigarette smoking and air pollution) can also increase the number of these damaging particles. Antioxidants can neutralize free radicals and may reduce or even help prevent some of the damage they cause over time.

Atherosclerosis: Studies suggest that fresh garlic and garlic supplements may prevent blood clots and destroy plaque. Blood clots and plaque block blood flow and contribute to the development of atherosclerosis. Blockage of blood flow to the heart, brain and legs, can lead to heart attack, stroke, or peripheral vascular disease (PVD). People with PVD experience pain in the legs when they walk and move. If garlic does reduce the build up of plaque then strokes, heart attacks and PVD may be less likely to occur in people who eat garlic or take garlic supplements.

High Cholesterol and High Blood Pressure: A number of studies have found that garlic reduces elevated total cholesterol levels and lowers blood pressure more effectively than placebo. However, the extent to which garlic is effective is small.

Diabetes: Garlic has been used as a traditional dietary supplement for diabetes in Asia, Europe and the Middle East. Preliminary studies in rabbits, rats and limited numbers of people have demonstrated that garlic has some ability to lower blood sugars. More research in this area is needed. (See Notes regarding some concern about using garlic with certain diabetes medications.)

Common Cold: A well-designed study of nearly 150 people supports the value of garlic for preventing and treating the common cold. In this study, people received either garlic supplements or placebo for 12 weeks during "cold season" (between the months of November and February). Those who received the garlic had significantly fewer colds than those who received placebo. Plus, when faced with a cold, the symptoms lasted a much shorter time in those receiving garlic compared to those receiving placebo.

Cancer: Test tube and animal studies suggest that garlic may have some anti-cancer activity. Observational, population-based studies (which follow groups of people over time) suggest that people who have more raw or cooked garlic in their diet are less likely to have certain types of cancer, particularly colon and stomach cancers. Dietary garlic may also offer some protection against the development of breast, prostate and laryngeal (throat) cancers. However, these types of cancer have not been as extensively studied as colon and stomach cancer.

Tuberculosis: Numerous test tube studies have demonstrated that garlic extract inhibits the growth of different species of bacteria, including Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the organism responsible for tuberculosis. Very high concentrations of garlic extract were needed to slow down the growth of M. tuberculosis in these studies, so some experts are concerned that these levels may be toxic to people. While further research in people is needed, one animal study found that garlic oil also inhibited M. tuberculosis and reduced lesions in the lungs of these animals.

Intestinal Parasites: Laboratory studies suggest that large quantities of fresh, raw garlic may have antiparasitic properties against the roundworm, Ascaris lumbricoides, which is the most common type of intestinal parasite. Garlic for this purpose, however, has not yet been tested in people.

Arc
27th March 2013, 01:04
You have to take some studies with a grain of salt and consider the sources and context. You also have to do your own investigations.

From what I understand garlic is a damn near miracle substance for the cardiovascular system, helping to alleviate high cholesterol and high blood pressure. And, I use it myself for that purpose. Similarly, onions, especially raw onions, are great for improving the liver function. Overall, many common plants and vegetables have enzymes and phyto-nutrients that do great things for the human body. On the other hand, don't be an idiot and try eating 100 garlic bulbs. And if you do (or could!), then you deserve any consequences :)

I don't lend any credibility to this argument about avoiding garlic and onions.

"Uh-oh.. what should we fear next?! carrots? apples? I hear bananas are food of the devil and can make you go blind! (study was courtesy of the CFR and Agenda 21... ahem). Yeah right

Arc
27th March 2013, 01:12
http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/junk-foods-garlic-and-onions/index.html

Quote from above source
Even though garlic or onions are not processed or altered, they are regarded as junk foods because they do not contribute to the welfare of the body when ingested. On the contrary, they contribute to disease by adding toxins to the body. As you will learn from this lesson, there are no health benefits to reap from ingesting either of these foods. They both contain toxic irritants which result in much harm when included in the diet and should, therefore, never be consumed. The importance of this statement will become evident upon completion of this lesson.

I dare to read this and not reconsider the OP as a fact! OH NO I have convinced my self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yes, great. Also, did you know how good Flouride is for your teeth? Aren't all those studies pretty convincing?

(and I am not saying flouride is good - but making a comparison on the argument, in case it was lost on anyone)

Sidney
27th March 2013, 03:09
I can believe it. I read somewhere that breathing is also damaging to brain cells. I've tried to stop, but I've realized that I am hopelessly addicted to this harmful habit. I suspect that most of my brain cells have been compromised as a result, and I am struggling with the thought that this may be why I am so quick to believe that garlic and onions also destroy brain cells. This aggravating thought has made me very depressed, and I'm considering an overdose of garlic to destroy the functioning brain cells causing this depression. Has anyone had any success with such a treatment?

The reason breathing will kill brain cells is because its full of barium, aluminum, and desiccated red blood cells from god knows who/what. You keep breathing, and I'll keep eating garlic and onions. But I did have to give up the cigs. : /

Daughter of Time
27th March 2013, 03:38
Well, mom said garlic is good [for health], just throw away the ones that have started sprouting - those are toxic. I also know that [Vietnamese] Buddhist monks are NOT to eat garlic & onions.

To the best of my knowledge, the reason Buddhist monks are not allowed to eat garlic is because garlic, when consumed on a regular basis, raises testosterone levels, thus it works as a very mild aphrodisiac.

Raven
27th March 2013, 06:17
thank you Wippet - that was the best laugh I have had all day!

araucaria
27th March 2013, 07:31
To sum up: long live Bright Garlick :)

cheez_2806
27th March 2013, 09:46
Here is a paper about it found from google scholar. There are some other sources cited in the last few pages.
The paper itself goes through some examples such as ancient practices however not many actual proper research results posted. I haven't gone through the information of the cited references, they could contain information of more researches.

Here is the link:

http://goutampaul.in/onion.pdf

sheme
27th March 2013, 10:46
Having weighed up the information I have decided to go garlic and onion free for a few months, as a trial .

I will miss them hugely for a while but if I think clearer and increase my intuitive perception as a consequence then that will prove the point.

As I explained to a friend earlier , I had experienced a numbing of my intuitive nature, I asked source why, and this information has flagged up, I would be a fool to ignore the possible answer to my question.

Peace and light are ours if we wish.

Rich
27th March 2013, 11:12
When I was on a certain raw food diet it was obvious that garlic and onions were toxic - obvious.
I could feel it in the body who was trying to get rid of it asap (detox).
Killing brain cells? I don't know, it certainly has some medical purposes.

vje2
27th March 2013, 11:39
I am a yoga practitioner, during my time in the ashram in India we were told not to eat garlic or onions as was not good for calming the mind down for meditation.
Could they be any relation to what dr. Becks is saying, I've no idea.
Then I follow nature's guidance and cannot see any harm in consuming them, "let food be your medicine".

This topic seems to be contradictory, I'm puzzled!

sheme
27th March 2013, 15:11
If it wasn't for contradiction we would not exist.

You have been warned about Garlic you chose to ignore.

I have been warned about Garlic I choose to test this.

DeDukshyn
27th March 2013, 15:31
By the way, didn't Inelia Benz said something about garlic and onions not too good for spirituality? I don't remember exactly, and I can't find it in the search.

Correct. She said something along the line of that it affects the way the two halves of the brain work together, and that this has an effect on meditation and spiritual sensitivity. She categorizes them as medicine -- not a food, which does make some sense.

Dennis Leahy
27th March 2013, 15:41
Having weighed up the information I have decided to go garlic and onion free for a few months, as a trial .

I will miss them hugely for a while but if I think clearer and increase my intuitive perception as a consequence then that will prove the point.

As I explained to a friend earlier , I had experienced a numbing of my intuitive nature, I asked source why, and this information has flagged up, I would be a fool to ignore the possible answer to my question.

Peace and light are ours if we wish.
OK, let's say you have an exhilarating out of body experience 30 days after quitting garlic... did the garlic cause or promote or facilitate the OBE? It sure would be tempting to say that, right? But who's to say that you were not already going to have an OBE in 30 days? Maybe it was extra water consumption, deeper breathing, the pineal partially decalcified, or none of these and simply that you had a spiritual leap.

Having dealt with IBS for a couple of decades, I can tell you that it is very difficult to isolate cause and effect from food. I'm not saying I have no faith in anecdotal evidence and rely solely on scientific double-blind study results, but that it will be very difficult to convince you in 30 days that garlic was not as factor if you observe ANY change, and that change may have nothing at all to do with garlic. It's also true that every human body is different, and that substances may take a lot less than or a lot more than 30 days to "announce" their outcome to you.

Experiment: take 1 sesame seed and place it on your tongue at noon, and hold it there for 5 minutes before swallowing it. At the end of 5 days doing this, you will start having lucid dreams, OBEs, your clarity of mind will be much sharper, and your hearing will be more accute. I guarantee this will work. Try it.
(I made all that up about the sesame seed thing. But if 100 people try it, and don't read this, I will bet that a significant number will report that it worked.)

Dennis

sheme
27th March 2013, 16:11
Dear Dennis I knew intuitively that you made that up before I got to the end of your post, Hmm is this the Garlic effect?

Sorry but I find your post a tad patronising, I am sure you are wise enough not to be offended by this. (I am sure it is just the Garlic talking)

I have never had or seriously sought an OBE, the experience is not part of my reality.

I have the intention to meditate but have great difficulty in doing so.

Should I succeed in increasing my intuitive perception and or meditation, I will be delighted, and consider that the end justified the means.

As I do believe we take our paths individually but some times together. It is my earnest intention to allow others who may have a similar experience to share my explorations nothing more.

Just because we take Garlic and are able to meditate/OBE, does not mean that abstaining from garlic would increase the likely hood of meditation/OBE, but

I have considered the possibility if we stop taking garlic the meditation/OBE will be of a different quality. Those that continue to take Garlic will never know.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. Peace to you.

mahalall
27th March 2013, 16:54
Can't seem to find any research that might support Dr Beck's view that garlic can be detrimental to neurological function. A brief overview of medical data establishes that garlic has beneficial effects on neurological capacity.

Anecdotally i use garlic for it's myocardial and respiratory health effects.

In respect of the spiritual ill effects of garlic i avoid garlic on long retreats. Why? because it ignites lust. When performing subtle psychi-surgery does one really want to be distracted this consuming energy? This supports why Garlic is seen as a black food-to some spiritual schools.

One might ask was Dr Beck's volition in research an attempt to prevent pilots from being distracted by glamorous air hostesses? (haha)

sheme
27th March 2013, 17:12
http://goutampaul.in/onion.pdf
3 Poisonous E ects of Onions and Garlics
Dr. Robert [Bob] C. Beck, DSc. discovered [3, 4] that garlic is toxic because the sulphone
hydroxyl ion penetrates the blood-brain barrier, just like Dimethyl Sulf-Oxide (DMSO),
and is a speci c poison for higher-life forms and brain cells.
Dr. Deck was in
ight test engineering in Doc Hallans group in the 1950s. He recalls
that the
ight surgeon would come around every month and remind all of them: \Don't
you dare touch any garlic 72 hours before you
y one of our airplanes, because it'll double
or triple your reaction time. You're three times slower than you would be if you'd not had
a few drops of garlic."
Dr. Deck continues in his lecture as follows: \Well, we didn't know why for 20 years
later, until I owned the Alpha-Metrics Corporation. We were building biofeedback equip-
ment and found out that garlic usually desynchronises your brain waves." They would have
people come back from lunch that looked clinically dead on an encephalograph, which they
used to calibrate their progress. \Well, what happened?" \Well, I went to an Italian restau-
rant and there was some garlic in my salad dressing!" So they had them sign things that
they wouldn't touch garlic before classes or they were wasting their time, their money and
his time.
Later, he funded a study at Stanford and they found that indeed garlic is a poison.
\You can rub a clove of garlic on your foot - you can smell it shortly later on your wrists. So
it penetrates the body. This is why DMSO smells a lot like garlic: that sulphone hydroxyl
ion penetrates all the barriers including the corpus callosum in the brain. Any of you who
are organic gardeners know that if you don't want to use DDT, garlic will kill anything in
the way of insects. Now, most people have heard most of their lives garlic is good for you,
and we put those people in the same class of ignorance as the mothers who at the turn of
the century would buy morphine sulphate in the drugstore and give it to their babies to
put them to sleep."
He continues, \If you have any patients who have low-grade headaches or attention
de cit disorder, they can't quite focus on the computer in the afternoon, just do an ex-
periment - you owe it to yourselves. Take these people o garlic and see how much better

Thanks to previous post from cheez_2806

sheme
27th March 2013, 19:14
http://www.ru.org/health/should-garlic-be-a-staple.html

This link better summarises the potential problems for those that really care to consider it. Quote from the above artical.

Paul Pitchford, in his book Healing with Whole Foods (the most authoritative text on the subject of food as medicine), gives this perspective: ‘Garlic has been promoted as a near cure-all for an extensive list of ailments. But it is helpful to remember that powerful and strongly medicinal foods ought to be used cautiously in the normal diet.’ Pitchard goes on to warn that, ‘Garlic disperses mental concentration. . . . [It] brings excessive desires and mental dullness to the person, making mental/spiritual equilibrium difficult.’

For those interested in vitality and clarity of the mind, and for those seeking spiritual receptivity, the ancient teaching on garlic remains: Better to avoid it.

Dr. Andrew Nicholson, a nutrition expert and advocate for change in school lunch programs, points out that there is also a sound physiological reason to avoid garlic. One of garlic’s recognized medical benefits is its potent antibacterial activity. ‘However,’ says Nicholson, ‘there are many bacteria in the human digestive tract which are essential to its normal function. Killing these bacteria may not be beneficial.’ When sick, eating garlic (or taking antibiotics) may be necessary. ‘But this not the case for otherwise healthy people.’

Dr. Nicholson also claims that garlic’s toxic effects are not limited to micro-organisms. Research studies that he cites link garlic consumption to asthma, conjunctivitis, contact dermatitis, and the skin disease, pemphigus.

Joshua Smith, in an article on the uses of garlic printed in the Spring 2006 Permaculture News, notes that garlic is an exceptionally effective insecticide. As such, it's the only insecticide that people eat as a staple. While considered non-toxic to animals, it is worth noting that garlic plants never gets browsed on by slugs, snails, birds, or herbivore mammals. Is it not strange that while other animals avoid garlic, humans should choose to eat it as a staple?

Finally, consider the opinionated voice of a cook on using garlic so pervasively. Annabel Perkins was lead chef at Food For All, one of the first whole foods restaurants in England, and author of the cookbook, Vegetarian Food For All. In the introduction to her book, Perkins urges people cooking with whole foods to ‘experiment liberally with a wide variety of herbs and spices and gain the confidence to move away from the inevitable garlic that swamps every subtle flavor in Western vegetarian food.’

This advice speaks to the sensibilities of many who eat a natural foods diet and who are known for venturing beyond commonplace foods and filling their gardens and dinner tables with exotic varieties of fruits and vegetables. To so consistently overwhelm the subtle tastes of heirloom cultivars, wildcrafted edibles, and new hybrids with garlic seems a culinary loss that could easily be avoided.

Dennis Leahy
28th March 2013, 03:32
Dear Dennis I knew intuitively that you made that up before I got to the end of your post, Hmm is this the Garlic effect?

Sorry but I find your post a tad patronising, I am sure you are wise enough not to be offended by this. (I am sure it is just the Garlic talking)

I have never had or seriously sought an OBE, the experience is not part of my reality.

I have the intention to meditate but have great difficulty in doing so.

Should I succeed in increasing my intuitive perception and or meditation, I will be delighted, and consider that the end justified the means.

As I do believe we take our paths individually but some times together. It is my earnest intention to allow others who may have a similar experience to share my explorations nothing more.

Just because we take Garlic and are able to meditate/OBE, does not mean that abstaining from garlic would increase the likely hood of meditation/OBE, but

I have considered the possibility if we stop taking garlic the meditation/OBE will be of a different quality. Those that continue to take Garlic will never know.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. Peace to you.Hi sheme,

Honestly, no attempt to be patronizing. I do try to inject a bit of humor, and if I'm going to get in trouble in typed text, it is often when I thought I was being funny. Sorry it landed that way to you.

I guess a more serious way would be to ask how you'll know, and when you'll know, and are you going to try to maintain everything else in your life about as close to what you're doing right now as possible? I know if it was me, I would have a lingering doubt even if I had a positive experience (with the experiment), though admittedly, a negative would impact me more. I suspect "false positives" are a bit trickier to nail down.

I wish you luck with this experiment, and ask that you let us know (in a month or whenever you feel like it) and tell us your findings.

Peace.

Dennis

DeDukshyn
29th March 2013, 00:13
I am eagerly awaiting feedback from Sheme after a one month trial with no garlic or onions. I am very curious about this.

Interestingly, the qualities of onions and garlic and a few other vegetables that human enjoy from a culinary or aromatic perspective are actually deadly toxins to help ensure the survivability of the plant. Ever seen bugs infest garlic or onion? Every plant has essential oils (the molecules that give strong (and often pleasing to humans) aromas or flavours), to some extent, and some plants essential oils are far more potent than others.

In human studies these essential oils are very bad from an internal cellular standpoint -- they are the plants defense mechanism and still try to fill that role once in the human body - with detrimental results on human cells.

The company I work with has partnered with a company that has done huge amounts of research on a turmeric extract called curcumin. I was able to talk with one of their reps, and he said in every instance the essential oils of curcumin is destructive to human cells, therefore as part of their extraction process, the try to eliminate all the essential oils of curcumin in their products. That said, curcumin likely fosters the greatest hope of an all-in-one cure if we can get it into the body properly (poor bio-availability -- BTW that nut has been cracked and the new research is incredibly promising)

So ... to support some of what sheme is saying, there is some evidence to support that this may be true.

Another factoid, natives in certain parts of south America (specific ones -- I can't recall the tribe) consider above ground and below ground foods different. Once a year they eat giant tarantulas as their "below ground" food. They say it grounds them to the earth and connects them to the physical world, rather the opposite of spiritual. As a loose connection - garlic and onions are below ground foods, and this increased "connection to physical", is what Inelia benz claims for onions and garlic -- perhaps good for healing, but not for spirituality. However, placebo affect is still good for ~40% of result ;)

All that said, I have no conclusions at all and am just really curious to others' anecdotal results.

Addition: BTW the "black" stuff that froms on onions if left out is aspergillus niger -- common house mold. Spores are usually everywhere and it is one of the few organisms that feed off an onion.

Arc
3rd April 2013, 01:42

This link better summarises the potential problems for those that really care to consider it. Quote from the above artical.

Paul Pitchford, in his book Healing with Whole Foods (the most authoritative text on the subject of food as medicine), gives this perspective: ‘Garlic has been promoted as a near cure-all for an extensive list of ailments. But it is helpful to remember that powerful and strongly medicinal foods ought to be used cautiously in the normal diet.’ Pitchard goes on to warn that, ‘Garlic disperses mental concentration. . . . [It] brings excessive desires and mental dullness to the person, making mental/spiritual equilibrium difficult.’

For those interested in vitality and clarity of the mind, and for those seeking spiritual receptivity, the ancient teaching on garlic remains: Better to avoid it.

Dr. Andrew Nicholson, a nutrition expert and advocate for change in school lunch programs, points out that there is also a sound physiological reason to avoid garlic. One of garlic’s recognized medical benefits is its potent antibacterial activity. ‘However,’ says Nicholson, ‘there are many bacteria in the human digestive tract which are essential to its normal function. Killing these bacteria may not be beneficial.’ When sick, eating garlic (or taking antibiotics) may be necessary. ‘But this not the case for otherwise healthy people.’

Dr. Nicholson also claims that garlic’s toxic effects are not limited to micro-organisms. Research studies that he cites link garlic consumption to asthma, conjunctivitis, contact dermatitis, and the skin disease, pemphigus.

Joshua Smith, in an article on the uses of garlic printed in the Spring 2006 Permaculture News, notes that garlic is an exceptionally effective insecticide. As such, it's the only insecticide that people eat as a staple. While considered non-toxic to animals, it is worth noting that garlic plants never gets browsed on by slugs, snails, birds, or herbivore mammals. Is it not strange that while other animals avoid garlic, humans should choose to eat it as a staple?

Finally, consider the opinionated voice of a cook on using garlic so pervasively. Annabel Perkins was lead chef at Food For All, one of the first whole foods restaurants in England, and author of the cookbook, Vegetarian Food For All. In the introduction to her book, Perkins urges people cooking with whole foods to ‘experiment liberally with a wide variety of herbs and spices and gain the confidence to move away from the inevitable garlic that swamps every subtle flavor in Western vegetarian food.’

This advice speaks to the sensibilities of many who eat a natural foods diet and who are known for venturing beyond commonplace foods and filling their gardens and dinner tables with exotic varieties of fruits and vegetables. To so consistently overwhelm the subtle tastes of heirloom cultivars, wildcrafted edibles, and new hybrids with garlic seems a culinary loss that could easily be avoided.

Wow, you are really on a crusade here against garlic. I am all for those who do not like garlic, to not eat any garlic, and also not be forced to like it!

Now pass me that garlic bread!...

DeDukshyn
3rd April 2013, 01:45

Wow, you are really on a crusade here against garlic. I am all for those who do not like garlic, to not eat any garlic, and also not be forced to like it!

Now pass me that garlic bread!...

LOL! I feel the same way! Which is why I am really interested in results. I looove to cook, I'm "western" and thus garlic is almost a staple for me. I would find it hard to cook without it, but, serious hindus (jain?) and budhists avoid it, so it must be possible ... lol.

I may be inclined to think of it more of a medicine as Inelia does, due to it's particular properties ...

Vitalux
3rd April 2013, 02:19
Back in the 1980's, in his research on human brain function, Dr Robert [Bob] C. Beck, DSc. found that garlic has a detrimental effect on the brain. He found that in fact garlic is toxic to humans because its sulphone hydroxyl ions penetrate the blood-brain barrier and are poisonous to brain cells.

Thank you so much for sharing this.
One thing you have to admit, it is very very confusing on knowing what to eat, what to drink, and what to breath.:confused: It's all seems from what we read ....dangerous :(

I absolutely enjoy cheese n onion sandwiches ......I shall still eat my cheese and onion sandwiches....but they shall never taste quite a good knowing that they are not healthy in some circles of knowledge.
Yes Life is very confusing.

However, in consideration.....perhaps sometimes we just have to give in to temptation and just blame it on the devil.

http://thetrashcollector.com/Memorabilia/MemorabiliaDevilMadeMeDoItSmallPinback.jpg

HORIZONS
3rd April 2013, 02:43

Thank you so much for sharing this.
One thing you have to admit, it is very very confusing on knowing what to eat, what to drink, and what to breath.:confused: It's all seems from what we read ....dangerous :(

I absolutely enjoy cheese n onion sandwiches ......I shall still eat my cheese and onion sandwiches....but they shall never taste quite a good knowing that they are not healthy in some circles of knowledge.
Yes Life is very confusing.

However, in consideration.....perhaps sometimes we just have to give in to temptation and just blame it on the devil.

http://thetrashcollector.com/Memorabilia/MemorabiliaDevilMadeMeDoItSmallPinback.jpg

CAUTION: Being alive can be hazardous to your health! LOL!!!

cloud9
3rd April 2013, 03:07
Way before there were "experts" people used to eat what nature provided and I guess looking at the results and experimenting they reached their conclusions about what herb or plant was good for what, that's how ancient knowledge was acquired and passed onto later generations.
I know for a fact that garlic is superb against all kinds of tiny enemies in our bodies. I also know that people living in places were garlic is greatly enjoyed and consumed don't die because of it, it's quite the opposite, they eat it because it helps them for many ailments.
I guess the point is: don't eat too much of anything, everything in moderation.

sheme
3rd April 2013, 09:40
I was re listening to Pete Peterson Camalot interview as I needed some information about another subject , and my little ears pricked up when he spoke of some thing that tptb used to effectively separate the brain halves of targets that caused the brain wave paths to change causing confusion in the subject-- Exactly the symptoms of Garlic ingestion that Bob Beck describes.

Well now what if garlic is the substance that turns us into sheep?

I will go find the videos of Bob Beck talking about Garlic .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14aZbjs0mIY&playnext=1&list=PL234D68CD8417C0E8&feature=results_mainand

Dr Pete peterson talking about something with similar side effects, listen for the 'Brain separation' word when he talks of neuro linguistic programming and how it changes the way the brain is attached! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIlUMS_Q3g

Well it is here if you want to listen . light for us all.

PathWalker
3rd April 2013, 11:26
Garlic is one of the very first things dispensed by most Naturopaths when dealing with any condition which involves infections, viruses, fungi, parasites, molds and bacteria. Garlic is nature's anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitical, anti-viral.

Allicin (liquid garlic extract) contains one entire bulb for every 10 drops.

Allimax (dried garlic capsules) contains one entire bulb per capsule!

The above have been incredibly efficient in killing infections and other above mentioned pathogens.

Upon taking one of the above garlic supplements, some people will experience a sense of relaxation. For such people it is best to take the supplements at bedtime. Perhaps, for this matter pilots were told not to take garlic before flying. This would make sense. Bedtime is the best time for powerful garlic supplementation. But regular garlic in cooking is not powerful enough to cause any slowing of the system, however it still provides health benefits.

Onions have similar properties to garlic but nowhere nearly as powerful. This is why there are no onion supplements.

Of course, some people are allergic to garlic and onions, in which case, they cannot ingest them.

But above and beyond allergies, garlic is a powerful food and supplement.

I could not say more.
1. Notice that any antibiotic substance have to be consumed moderately, to a limited time.
2. There is great effort to undermine the medical usage of foods.
3. Always question the information-source agenda (even when you agree).

Chris411
9th April 2013, 21:25
This wild plant has the same active substance as the garlic but has a less intense after-taste. Has a very potent detox effect on the body coming out of the long winter. I personally pick the leaves in the forrest and then freeze them for all-year-round consumption (raw) in soups, salads, .... almost daily.
I cannot make any statements though regarding its effect on my spirituality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_ursinum

Cristian

DNA
10th April 2013, 13:52
Greetings Scheme

Suprisingly this is kind of a ballsy post. I give it up to you, and you took a little flack for it.

I read this post soon after you had created it, I was skeptical, and I think I even thanked some of the nay-sayers and did not thank your original article.

I might be a believer of sorts, but let me divulge.

I'm a bit of a waistline watching guy. I periodically jump on the atkins diet, low carb, neolithic diet, whatever you want to call it, not really looking for a debate with folks on that so naysayers go crazy, anyway, while on the diet, I periodically get a upset stomach and a period of really bad indigestion.
Since one tends to eat much less on the atkins diet, you kind of notice stuff a little more, and through a series of synchronistic occurances in regards to onions, I decided to pay more attention to them.

Bottom line, I have found that onions create a negative side effect in my digestion, and further more, my body causes me to want to eat more in what appears to be an attempt to flush the onion out of my system and or dillute it.

Just stating this to give you some credit and basically saying, I personally will be avoiding onions from now on, even though I have always considered them to be healthy. But I'm of the opinion that our body can tell us what is good and what is not if we listen.

Thanks Scheme

Vitalux
10th April 2013, 14:26
If it wasn't for contradiction we would not exist.

You have been warned about Garlic you chose to ignore.

I have been warned about Garlic I choose to test this.

Had I would have saw this about 2 years ago, I too would have been quick to judge. However, after reviewing the information you provided I have made the choice to remove these products onions and garlic from my diet or at least reduce them as much as possible.

About a week ago, I had a cheese and onion sandwich and I, along with my wife, noticed that the smell of onions really was seeping through my pores.
I had a difficult time sleeping for about two strait nights, and I also did notice that the onions appeared to cause impotence.
I have a pretty good sex drive, but during those two days of suffering from the effects, I was totally unable to have an erection.

Thinking about this, I thought about all the times I have felt sluggish or had stomach problems, and usually onions and garlic were involved.

Thank you for your advice, and for sharing the information. I am following your advice and removing these foods from my diet.

Much love

Swan
10th April 2013, 15:08
I was re listening to Pete Peterson Camalot interview as I needed some information about another subject , and my little ears pricked up when he spoke of some thing that tptb used to effectively separate the brain halves of targets that caused the brain wave paths to change causing confusion in the subject-- Exactly the symptoms of Garlic ingestion that Bob Beck describes.

Well now what if garlic is the substance that turns us into sheep?

I will go find the videos of Bob Beck talking about Garlic .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14aZbjs0mIY&playnext=1&list=PL234D68CD8417C0E8&feature=results_mainand

Dr Pete peterson talking about something with similar side effects, listen for the 'Brain separation' word when he talks of neuro linguistic programming and how it changes the way the brain is attached! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIlUMS_Q3g

Well it is here if you want to listen . light for us all.

Thank you Sheme, this is really interesting.

I have always been a strong advocate for garlic. But I do remember an ayurvedic massage therapist telling me years ago that garlic was fueling my fiery temper. This information does ring true for me and I am going to remove it from my diet for a while.

william r sanford72
10th April 2013, 17:06
man im trapped in house and on a roll.was ignoring this thread for over a week now but gotta add my 2 cents...we dont farm in a conventional a typical iowa farm..for years i would order around 3 thousand onion plants from dixon dale farms outta texas and proceed to hand plant them....this took about a week..also grow garlic still and hav wild garlic come up every year...we eat garlic and onions atleast 2 twice a week and more so than ever..my oldest who eats same diet as us is 13 and is learning not one instrument but 3 clarinate...piano...guitar.all three kids show above average intel.we grow it sell it and eat it.but this could be the reason i cant spell worth a......crap!! everything in moderation..nature does the rest.relax and enjoy the food mother nature provides.

sheme
20th April 2013, 07:40
Thanks for the feed back folks, it was not until I try to go garlic onion free that you find out how hard it can be, it seems they are slipped into many processed foods, I never get headaches but I had been getting a few minor headaches since going garlic free largely finished now- I figure this was withdrawal, However, interestingly I feel my improved intuition and feeling of calm is quite marked, nothing I read about designed to produce fear affects me at all. I continue to go as garlic free as possible.

sheme
20th April 2013, 19:59
http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/pet-articles/pet-health-toxins/Garlic-Toxicity-and-Pets.aspx

"Why is Garlic Toxic to Pets?
Garlic is classified as a species of the Allium family. Other species in the Allium family include onions, shallots, leeks, chives and rakkyo (otherwise known as the Chinese onion).

Unfortunately, dogs and cats cannot digest these particular plants as we can. The ingestion of Allium species in dogs and cats causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by the bursting of red blood cells circulating through your pet’s body.

Ingestion can also lead to gastroenteritis, also known as an inflammation of the stomach and intestines, causing stomach pain.""

Good grief I used to give my dogs garlic and liver as a training aid! Mea culpa!

sheme
28th April 2013, 14:13
Had heartburn for the first time since going garlic and onion free today! (I used to have to use Rennies most evenings, before going garlic and onion free. ) However-had a Quorn "Beef style" slice and watercress in ciabatta roll delicious, then- heart burn! took a close look at the ingredient's - you guess it " onion powder and garlic - at the end of the list in micro print!

lookbeyond
29th April 2013, 00:31
I used to wake of a night with extreme knee and hip pain.I developed a "craving" for onion, had to have it every day.After a couple of weeks the waking in pain ceased and i can only put it down to the onion, i still eat it most days, lb

The Truth Is In There
29th April 2013, 11:56
I used to wake of a night with extreme knee and hip pain.I developed a "craving" for onion, had to have it every day.After a couple of weeks the waking in pain ceased and i can only put it down to the onion, i still eat it most days, lb

it's because of the sulphur compounds in onion. you can also try msm if you develop knee and hip pain again, that should help too. the body needs sulphur to build cartilage and things like that.

lookbeyond
29th April 2013, 12:10
Oh, Thanks so much Truth!-lb

william6565william
30th May 2013, 15:17
Dr. Beck did mention it as such.
14aZbjs0mIY

That is sort of disheartening for me. I eat garlic on a daily basis and loved it. So I really do not understand how garlic can be considered as a poison (I do hear, however, that the green part where the stems grow out of the garlic is said to carry toxins so it must be removed before slicing the garlic for use).

Sidney
30th May 2013, 15:23
I eat it daily too. Geez, didin't know about the green part. Just had some of that yesterday. I do know it kills bacteria though. I love love love garlic.

Prodigal Son
30th May 2013, 15:25
it might be toxic to some animals, but so is chocolate.

good god its a dietary supplement for christs sake.

If garlic was poison, I'd a been dead a long time ago. So would everybody in my family, but they all seem to be living well into their late 80's and early 90's.

Something's gonna kill ya eventually, but it ain't gonna be garlic.

i suppose you could kill yourself if you ate a hundred pounds of it, but so would anything else....

Sunny-side-up
30th May 2013, 15:31
I eat it Ummy.
Toxic, well plenty of folks live long on it yes but! thing is might it mean it could harm some function, dull something down maybe, something that we try to raise?

Well after watching that vid i'm cutting it out of my food chain :(

I personaly can't afford to loos any Brain cell'z lol

sunflower
30th May 2013, 15:33
I am certainly not going to worry about the toxicity of garlic. There are worse things that we can be eating. Just think of all our favourite recipes that would be compromised!

TargeT
30th May 2013, 15:40
ANYTHING at a certain dose becomes a poison, even water.... Garlic however, yeah I wouldn't even worry about it.

The reported 50-percent-lethal doses (i.e., fatal to half the target population) vary quite a bit among the different chemicals in garlic; the lowest one I found, for an allicin metabolite called diallyl disulfide, is 130 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. For a 70-kilogram human (about 154 pounds), we get an LD-50 of 9.1 grams, or roughly a third of an ounce. Fifty-fifty lethality isn't very impressive, so to be safe we'd better double that to 18 grams. While that may not seem like much, a .38-caliber bullet weighs on the order of 10 grams. Could you pack 18 grams of garlic juice into one somehow? Conceivably, but then what you've got isn't so much a garlic-coated bullet as a ballistic garlic delivery system. I suppose you could use less garlic, but as our earlier discussion suggests, too small a dose could have the undesirable effect of improving the victim's health. In short, while garlic may inspire fear on a mythic Sicilian-vegetable-of-doom level, as a practical tool of homicide it stinks.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2653/is-garlic-oil-lethal

sirdipswitch
30th May 2013, 15:58
I pour 1 cup of red wine into my blender, then peel 2 heads, (heads, not cloves) of gralic, and dump those in there, and then 2 teaspoons of vitamon C, (as ascorbic acid) and spin those untill well blended. Then I put it in a glass jar and keep it in the frig. and take 2 table spoons morning and night. yummy. This wil keep yer heart pumpin forever, and clean all the bad collesteral out of your veins, and just keep you in far better heath.

Did y'all know that Gorillas, and man, are the only 2 mammals that do NOT make their own Vitamin C? And in zoos, they give Gorillas 2 grams of vitamin C daily, to keep them from getting sick. hmm.

If garilc was poison, 3/4ths of the world would be dead. Wonder what he was smokin that day?

I use about 4 to 5 pounds per month. (I buy it peeled, from my favorite Chinese Grocery store) I put Garlic in everything. Handfulls of it. I eat so much Garlic, mosquitoes won't even land on me. chuckle chuckle chuckle. Keeps people at arms length also. cccc.

:wizard::wizard::wizard:

Rich
30th May 2013, 16:06
There is a thread about it already: http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?57367-Garlic-onions-destroy-brain-cells

Yes, poison from my experience but it has benefits too supposedly.

M0JFK
30th May 2013, 16:49
I know a chap in Transylvania who swears garlic is poisonous to him.

Sunny-side-up
30th May 2013, 18:12
ANYTHING at a certain dose becomes a poison, even water.... Garlic however, yeah I wouldn't even worry about it.

The reported 50-percent-lethal doses (i.e., fatal to half the target population) vary quite a bit among the different chemicals in garlic; the lowest one I found, for an allicin metabolite called diallyl disulfide, is 130 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. For a 70-kilogram human (about 154 pounds), we get an LD-50 of 9.1 grams, or roughly a third of an ounce. Fifty-fifty lethality isn't very impressive, so to be safe we'd better double that to 18 grams. While that may not seem like much, a .38-caliber bullet weighs on the order of 10 grams. Could you pack 18 grams of garlic juice into one somehow? Conceivably, but then what you've got isn't so much a garlic-coated bullet as a ballistic garlic delivery system. I suppose you could use less garlic, but as our earlier discussion suggests, too small a dose could have the undesirable effect of improving the victim's health. In short, while garlic may inspire fear on a mythic Sicilian-vegetable-of-doom level, as a practical tool of homicide it stinks.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2653/is-garlic-oil-lethal
Yup your right, every thing can be a poison at certain levels, my concern is not from eating enough of it to kill myself hehe ( Wonder if I could fit that amount in me belly) o.0
My concern is what the Dr says about his findings on Brain-Cell LOSS. I haven't many as it is :(

Maia Gabrial
30th May 2013, 19:08
Maybe in the case of HIV and AIDS it's toxic....?

But I still say that what we think is what is. If garlic is toxic then it will be. Otherwise, it's great stuff!

eric charles
30th May 2013, 21:23
Garlic , there are so many things to use this with , and I mean a whole bunch of natural remedies , for infections , I have a book here , id rather take garlic and natural stuff then those Penecillin pills thats for sure

DouglasDanger
30th May 2013, 22:01
I know a chap in Transylvania who swears garlic is poisonous to him.

His three Brides claim thats a myth put forward to give the world hope that they can defeat him, along with crosses silver bullits and a stake to the heart. Apparently he is addicted to the stuff, it prevents strange growths from forming on his skin since he cannot get proper Vitamin D from the sun. ;)

Snoweagle
30th May 2013, 22:33
Suggesting garlic as a food stuff is nonsense, if this were extrapolated across the natural food chain we wouldn't have anything to eat. Doctors are not immune to idiocy either.
The doctor, Dr Robert Beck is a specialist neuro surgeon and looks at things from his own unique perspective and his interpretation is absolutely accurate but must be kept in context between the applied benefits and perceived consequences, the latter to which he refers.

During this lecture snippet, he refers to his EEG apparatus failing when the purchasers, during training failed to register on his equipment, they were in his words "clinically dead". He then went on to describe how the ingestion of garlic before the test session had been the cause which precipitated the left and right brain hemispheres disassociating from each other, ie they were each operating separately and not dependent on each other, which of course is what we want (IMO). The equipment is limited in its functions compared to that of the brain anyway.

He is selling medical equipment and garlic prevents him from winning sales!

For more useful information on garlic try: http://www.naturalnews.com/garlic.html

yuhui
30th May 2013, 22:34
so is oxygen, only it takes 70~80 years to kill us.

Poly Hedra
30th May 2013, 23:01
Everything in moderation.

DeDukshyn
30th May 2013, 23:16
Sheme started a thread on this already about a month ago. Possible potential for thread merger -- exact same topic. And an interesting one ... It may be worth considering, at least a little

gardunk
31st May 2013, 19:03
EMERGENCE

We are all planted somewhere
Poked, dropped, dibbled down
Into village or country or town
Immersed awhile into community.
Hopes and dreams of generations
Are condensed into our DNA
Strategies beyond mere survival rage
As a signaling mechanism occurs.
It awakens all of us, to ask
For patience, steadfastness and adjustment
As we settle in for the long nights ahead.
A sensate consciousness responds
With feelers of roots, sentries of silk
Responding to the gravities of food and water
The densities of matter, exudates of worm
The stacked chemistries surround us.
Immensities are built in stillness
Yet transitions are whispered in winds
Long before verticalities are pondered.
The inner self in lucid dream
In all its outer ferocity becomes Mother
Like a baby chick it feeds and finds
A torus, a magic portal has formed
From inside out to outside in, here
The journey of young clove doth begin.
A timeless Time in winter clime
One day is soon forgotten.
A humming frequency then stirs:
The same sound that lifts the fog
From its tomb of mud
Gentles these souls to awaken.
This chorus of Light loosens soils
And causes all Life to arise!
The sap is singing, birds are winging
Nests are nexting, when
A chorus louder than peepers in June
To the garlic sings a tune:
The sky is calling
The sky is calling
Come forth come forth
In tip of green
Unfold your sheath
And live the dream
Emerge emerge the hour is nigh
To see how high your flag may fly!
‘Tis then we’ve pledged
To do our part
To open our world to them
For that emergence is NOW…!

Alan
31st May 2013, 20:33
Did y'all know that Gorillas, and man, are the only 2 mammals that do NOT make their own Vitamin C?

Not quite true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C

Among the animals that have lost the ability to synthesise vitamin C are simians and tarsiers, which together make up one of two major primate suborders, Haplorrhini. This group includes humans. The other more primitive primates (Strepsirrhini) have the ability to make vitamin C. Synthesis does not occur in a number of species (perhaps all species) in the small rodent family Caviidae that includes guinea pigs and capybaras, but occurs in other rodents (rats and mice do not need vitamin C in their diet, for example). A number of species of passerine birds also do not synthesise, but not all of them, and those that don't are not clearly related; there is a theory that the ability was lost separately a number of times in birds.[11] All tested families of bats, including major insect and fruit-eating bat families, cannot synthesise vitamin C. A trace of GLO was detected in only 1 of 34 bat species tested, across the range of 6 families of bats tested.[12] However, recent results show that there are at least two species of bats, frugivorous bat (Rousettus leschenaultii) and insectivorous bat (Hipposideros armiger), that remain their ability in vitamin C production.[13][14] The ability to synthesize vitamin C has also been lost in teleost fish.

The Truth Is In There
1st June 2013, 09:46
if you eat it and don't get sick or poisoned, how can it be a poison? garlic is eaten by billions of people since thousands of years. either the toxicity of garlic is some new age foolishness or an age-old conspiracy to poison us all. take your pick.

witchy1
1st June 2013, 12:34
A recent and significant finding from Washington State University (http://preventdisease.com/news/12/050212_Garlic-Proven-100-Time-More-Effective-Than-Antibiotics.shtml) shows that garlic is 100 times more effective than two popular antibiotics at fighting disease causing bacteria commonly responsible for food borne illness.

When the garlic is crushed, alliin becomes allicin.
Research shows that allicin helps lower cholesterol and blood pressure and also helps prevents blood clots. Garlic can also reduce the risk of developing atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). Compounds in this familiar bulb kill many organisms, including bacteria and viruses that cause earaches, flu and colds. Research indicates that garlic is also effective against digestive ailments and diarrhea. What's more, further studies suggest that this common and familiar herb may help prevent the onset of cancers.

'This chemical has been known for a long time for its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal powers,' says Helen Bond, a Derbyshire-based consultant dietitian and spokeswoman for the British Dietetic Association.

'Because of this, people assume it is going to boost their immune systems. Lots of people are simply mashing up garlic, mixing it with olive oil and spreading it on bread.
'But how or whether it may actually work has still not been proven categorically.'

Indeed, scientists remain divided on garlic's ability to combat colds and flu. Last March, a major investigation by the respected global research organisation, the Cochrane Database, found that increasing your garlic intake during winter can cut the duration of cold symptoms -- from five-and-a-half days to four-and-a-half.

But the report, which amalgamated all previous scientific studies on garlic, said it could not draw solid conclusions because there is a lack of large-scale, authoritative research.

The problem is that pharmaceutical companies are not interested in running huge, expensive trials -- as they would with promising new drug compounds -- because there is nothing in garlic that they can patent, package and sell at a profit.

http://worldtruth.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/garlic_cloves3ef.jpg (http://worldtruth.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/garlic_cloves3ef.jpg)

Modified Garlic Soup Recipe
Serves 4
26 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) organic butter (grass fed)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/2 cup fresh ginger
2 1/4 cups sliced onions
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
26 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup coconut milk
3 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth
4 lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 350F. Place 26 garlic cloves in small glass baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and toss to coat. Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake until garlic is golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes. Cool. Squeeze garlic between fingertips to release cloves. Transfer cloves to small bowl.

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, thyme, ginger and cayenne powder and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add roasted garlic and 26 raw garlic cloves and cook 3 minutes. Add vegetable broth; cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, about 20 minutes. Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to saucepan; add coconut milk and bring to simmer. Season with sea salt and pepper for flavour.
Squeeze juice of 1 lemon wedge into each bowl and serve.
Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Nevertheless, garlic has a long and proud tradition as a medicine. The Ancient Egyptians recommended it for 22 ailments.

In a papyrus dated 1500BC, the labourers who built the pyramids ate it to increase their stamina and keep them healthy.

The Ancient Greeks advocated garlic for everything from curing infections, and lung and blood disorders to healing insect bites and even treating leprosy.

The Romans fed it to soldiers and sailors to improve their endurance. Dioscorides, the personal physician to Emperor Nero, wrote a five-volume treatise extolling its virtues.

One of the most interesting of the recent findings is that garlic increases the overall antioxidant levels of the body. Scientifically known as Allium sativa, garlic has been famous throughout history for its ability to fight off viruses and bacteria.

Louis Pasteur noted in 1858 that bacteria died when they were doused with garlic. From the Middle Ages on, garlic has been used to treat wounds, being ground or sliced and applied directly to wounds to inhibit the spread of infection. The Russians refer to garlic as Russian penicillin.

More recently, researchers have unearthed evidence to show garlic may help us to stay hale and hearty in a number of ways.

http://worldtruth.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/garlic.jpg (http://worldtruth.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/garlic.jpg)
Last June, nutrition scientists at the University of Florida found eating garlic can boost the number of T-cells in the bloodstream. These play a vital role in strengthening our immune systems and fighting viruses.

And pharmacologists at the University of California found that allicin -- the active ingredient in garlic that contributes to bad breath -- is an infection-killer.

Allicin also makes our blood vessels dilate, improving blood flow and helping to tackle cardiovascular problems such as high cholesterol.

An Australian study of 80 patients published last week in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported that diets high in garlic may reduce high blood pressure.

In 2007, dentists in Brazil found that gargling with garlic water (made by steeping crushed garlic cloves in warm, but not boiling, water) can kill the germs that cause tooth decay and gum disease.

But they hit a snag: the volunteers refused to continue the experiment, complaining that the garlic gargle made them feel sick.

Among its many other virtues, garlic kills slugs and snails. Researchers from the University of Newcastle believe it contains oils that may cripple the nervous systems of these slimy creatures.

There are two schools of thought as to the best way of preparing garlic to make the most of its medicinal qualities.

Argentinian investigators found it releases its allicin-type compounds when you bake the cloves, while scientists at South Carolina Medical University believe peeling garlic and letting it sit uncovered for 15 minutes produces the highest levels of compounds to fight infection.

So you can simply peel half of the garlic cloves and roast the other half with the kitchen door tightly closed (to stop the pong permeating throughout the house).

After an hour-and-a-quarter's industrious soup-making, sprinkle lemon juice over a bowl of steaming, grey gloop and tuck in.

The heady aroma certainly revs up the appetite and the first spoonful does not disappoint. Delicious as it is, however, one large bowl of home-made soup is a more than ample meal.

Or it could just be that my nuclear-strength garlic breath will keep everyone who is infectious far out of sneezing range for months to come.
Source: http://preventdisease.com/
http://worldtruth.tv/garlic-soup-made-with-52-cloves-of-garlic-can-defeat-colds-flu-and-even-norovirus/

Padmé
1st June 2013, 12:57
My Nana swore by eating a clove of garlic in a piece of bread everyday! I can still see her sweet little face squint and curl as she chomped away at it, hehe...

She lived until the ripe age of 76 (having smoked 40+ cigarettes a day for most of her adult life- YIKES!!!)

Bill Ryan
1st January 2019, 19:49
:bump:

I came across this question — is Garlic a poison? — again just now, and so I'm bumping this thread. (Actually, two threads now merged, both showcasing Bob Beck's work.)

It's pretty fascinating, I have to say. All newer members (since 2013!), please do read with interest.

Chip
1st January 2019, 20:00
I eat garlic all the time.
I even went on a Candida elimination protocol a while back which had me eating raw cloves everyday for a couple of weeks.
I did this during days that I flew as well.
I did not notice any decrease in reaction times or impairments in any manner.

Universoul
1st January 2019, 21:50
Seems that garlic has been known to have certain effects on the human body for a long time - http://kurma.net/essays/e19.html. The ancient warnings about garlic and similar plants - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaryllidaceae - were made at a different time of humanity. We're less spiritually aware and nuanced than ancient peoples. We've replaced intuition with increased intellectual logic. So garlic might have effects that most people don't notice. If you wanted to do serious spiritual work you'd probably want to stay away from aphrodisiacs.

Let's look at what Bob Beck said about garlic's effect on the brain = he claimed it disassociates the brain lobes. That would coincide with an aphrodisiac because sex is the masculine and feminine as separate things. It's seeing the "opposite" as something outside the self that the self needs. The more self complete and spiritually evolved we are the less compulsion there is for that.

Before anyone gets mad about this post criticizing sex, it's not. The impulse, at least on a deeper than physical level, for sex is to achieve union and equilibrium anyway. Which of course we can work toward in ourselves, it doesn't require others. It's more fun to have friendships and relationships than be a hermit though.

The point is garlic has pros and cons. Trying to define a black and white one size fits all answer is wrong. It depends on where you are and what you want.

If you're doing serious spiritual tuning you might want to stay away from garlic. That kind of work isn't easy. At the same time no one is forcing us to follow a strict spiritual discipline.

Most of us are gonna use garlic as we already do, as a natural fix or to add spice to food.

If garlic has a certain effect on the brain and spiritual body then maybe it's not the best remedy for all things and all times. That's something to figure out for ourselves.

New and challenging information is something to consider with nuance and not try to categorize into an absolute black and white.

DeDukshyn
1st January 2019, 22:01
Seems that garlic has been known to have certain effects on the human body for a long time - http://kurma.net/essays/e19.html. The ancient warnings about garlic and similar plants - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaryllidaceae - were made at a different time of humanity. We're less spiritually aware and nuanced than ancient peoples. We've replaced intuition with increased intellectual logic. So garlic might have effects that most people don't notice. If you wanted to do serious spiritual work you'd probably want to stay away from aphrodisiacs.

Let's look at what Bob Beck said about garlic's effect on the brain = he claimed it disassociates the brain lobes. That would coincide with an aphrodisiac because sex is the masculine and feminine as separate things. It's seeing the "opposite" as something outside the self that the self needs. The more self complete and spiritually evolved we are the less compulsion there is for that.

Before any gets mad about this post criticizing sex, it's not. The impulse, at least on a deeper than physical level, for sex is to achieve union and equilibrium anyway. Which of course we can work toward in ourselves, it doesn't require others. It's more fun to have friendships and relationships than be a hermit though.

The point is garlic has pros and cons. Trying to define a black and white one size fits all answer is wrong. It depends on where you are and what you want.

If you're doing serious spiritual tuning you might want to stay away from garlic. That kind of work isn't easy. At the same time no one is forcing us to follow a strict spiritual discipline.

Most of us are gonna use garlic as we already do, as a natural fix or to add spice to food.

If garlic has a certain effect on the brain and spiritual body then maybe it's not the best remedy for all things and all times. That's something to figure out for ourselves.

New and challenging information is something to consider with nuance and not try to categorize into an absolute black and white.

Inelia Benz also claimed that garlic prevents the two lobes of the brain from communicating properly as whole. This lends to a more "groundedness" but also supplants spiritual sensitivities for physical ones, supposedly. This is where it comes to effect as a medicine, it allows the mind and body to be more physically focused, to allow for healing. Her take was that it should be viewed as medicine, not food.

Seems to possibly make sense.

thepainterdoug
2nd January 2019, 05:28
I remember Simon Parkes always warning everyone off garlic . does anyone recall that and why?

greybeard
2nd January 2019, 10:27
You know what one definition of an expert is?
" A has been drip under pressure"
One thing for sure experts rarely agree.
The benefits of garlic are well documented.

Some spiritual teachers are against garlic because it is said to promote sexual desire.
Others say that there is nothing good nor bad--everything is life expressing itself---
None of us would be here with out the sexual desire of our parents.

The Buddha had good advice--"Put no head above your own"
I would not look to any one single person to take advice from-- cross check with various sources is standard advice.

Chris