PDA

View Full Version : Do schools kill creativity?

McMaster
28th September 2010, 23:25
Great video from TED. This guy talking has some good thoughts about this. And he also says that modern society strip mines our head the way we strip mine the planet, just to suit the needs of the industrys.

Do schools kill creativity? (http://www.wimp.com/schoolscreativity/)

Dale
28th September 2010, 23:38
Do schools kill creativity?

Yes.

I work at a college, and I can absolutely affirm this.

Let me also add to the discussion. I have met many great professors and teachers. The blame cannot be placed on the shoulders of these individuals, or even educators as a whole. We, instead, need to look at the system in which these individuals are working under.

And he also says that modern society strip mines our head the way we strip mine the planet, just to suit the needs of the industrys.

I've often said, somewhat jokingly, that "You don't go to school to do what you want, you go to school to do what someone else wants you to do."

:p

cloud9
28th September 2010, 23:47
When I saw this video a few days ago, I thought of starting a thread about it but finally I didn't do it; I'm glad the video came here anyway, it's funny and nice and tells many trues. Thank you.

Humble Janitor
29th September 2010, 00:50
You could make this argument but you need to understand that schools do often have art programs. They're not as deep as they should be and when it comes time to save money on school budgets, arts and humanities are always on the chopping block.

I don't think that constant instruction and testing does much for a creative student.

Carmody
29th September 2010, 01:11

Yes.

Yes.

Let me also add to the discussion. I have met many great professors and teachers. The blame cannot be placed on the shoulders of these individuals, or even educators as a whole. We, instead, need to look at the system in which these individuals are working under.

I've often said, somewhat jokingly, that "You don't go to school to do what you want, you go to school to do what someone else wants you to do."

My experience as well. But I have never worked at one, but I've got teachers in the family ..and been told I'd make a fun teacher/prof.

My problem is that I'd get the kids in trouble. I'd not allow them to settle for less, and you know how the young can go overboard on things. As I did.

I tell the young today that their indignation and clarity is justified and real. And that indignation and clarity they have now, the annals of time will attempt to soften it and pull it from them. The view is simple, I tell them, the reality is simple. Don't let lies, time, and life pull that truth from you..for they will try. And in almost all of your friends..this will succeed, it will work.And you will watch the light to life go dull in their minds. So you have a choice to make. Will you hold on to that moment and move into being fully aware.. or will you let it die inside you? Think.

So you can see how I would quickly get myself into trouble.

Of course, not exactly in this order..but I'd been on a high dose hallucinogen, been in handcuffs, in a bar fight where my head was split open, operated on without anesthetic while being held down by four people, and some other stuff.....all before getting out of kindergarten, ie age 5 years for some of it and younger for some. I'm not kidding! The stories for each instance would have to be told so it makes sense but...there you go. They are all true. I had my eyes opened early. school of hard knocks, if you can survive it.

Rimbaud
29th September 2010, 02:13
Depends on the Teacher surely?

Rimbaud

Decibellistics
29th September 2010, 03:54
Totally.

I'm an audio engineer in school right now....It is an art form combined with technical applications.

The problem isn't the techy stuff vs the aesthetic....though some of the students tend to get caught up in the tech aspect.

The true problem, is attempting to integrate an art form into capitalism.
The kids take away from the beauty of creating art and categorize themselves and the artists they record into a generic format that is geared to sell sell sell.

We are taking beautiful things that humans can be creative with, and in turn attempting to sell them. It's like Pop Art. It's depressing.......don't get me started on the politics either.....I'm not and will not allow myself to become part of that cult of thought within the program either.....it's all based around role-playing. This is what you're going to be treated like when you get BIG.....sit here and be a robot and do what someone tells you to do. Because nobody gives a **** about your opinion. Thanks but, no thanks.....Go on without me. Oh yea, don't forget the time limitations and the beauracracy, and the expectations either.

xbusymom
29th September 2010, 04:34
wonderful video... and so true...
he mentions that the public education system was developed specifically for the industrial age...
...here is the real story (free PDF download)
http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/

Celine
29th September 2010, 04:36
As an alumni of school boards and a variety of parent/teacher organizations... I can say that education does not kill creativity... but the public education system does...

I was never strict about homework and tried to always make sure they learned more between 4pm and 7pm then they ever could between 9amm and 3pm ...

Hug trees..make stories with the clouds and always visit the elves.

Victoria Tintagel
29th September 2010, 05:07
Hey Avalonians, thanks for this valuable thread, McMaster! I agree, in general , that schools kill creativity, YES! Very much so!
And at the same time there is always the human factor involved, thank GOD! That's why I think you make a very good point here, Rimbaud:

COLOR="blue"]Quote from Rimbaud: "Depends on the Teacher surely?" [/COLOR]
I believe there are great teachers out there, in the schoolsystem, truly coming from the heart and sparking the souls of children in their classes.

I am really passionate about the new way we are going to educate our children and us being educated by them :)
as I strongly believe in a positive outcome, a way out of present day madness. We are creating it every moment now, I believe.
I am passionate about kids and the paths they walk nowadays. I work as a day-Nanny and one of my strong talents is being creative,
also with kids, on all levels and situations in life.

These profound lines, the man in the video said: "Kids don't know.....that's why they have a go!" and also
"If you are not prepared to be wrong, you will never come up with something original" are so incredibly important to grasp.
In Holland, where I live, the schoolsystem is being viewed at as becoming poorer and more unworkable.
England is in a depression too regarding the schoolsystem. The head of the institute, a woman, has resigned her position
as she finds less then 50% of kids in school are having a proper education.
There is a lot of issues going on, the main thing school education is leading up to is increasing the economic profit and mental capacities.
The means to manifest economic profit is is in my not so humble opinion the degradation of the human spirit.

The form of mental and physical slavery that is used, and unconsciously accepted, by human beings...stepping in the threadmill of unchanging daily routines and mechanisms.
How dreadful this is and humiliating! And still we are allowing ourselves to be trapped, in this society system, that is displayd so well by Orwell's book 1984
(I am unsure about the year but that is entirely irrelevant here :) rather hilarious!

At the same time, I see lots of creativity flowering in young people outside of the school system. Crazyily beautiful handcraft made from recycled material,
old blankets, grandmother saved with campher balls, turned into clothes and bags.
The covers of vans, with all kinds of texts and advertisements, changed into bags, as Freitag makes them in Germany.
You have to pay quite a price for these as being original costs money, nowadays.
Going green and grow your own vegs is immersed in the old paradigm for the time being.

Here's the movie Zeitgeist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pgRUpDDrb0
Zeitgeist means "spirit of time"

This movie shows the madness we are in, the upside-down kind of reality we live in.
Schools don't teach how to make your life a work of art.
The Waldorf schools, based on Rudolf Steiner's visionary thoughts, are an exception as children learn to paint, play on stage, dance, sing and make individual choices in class.
The temperament of the schoolchildren is respected and disharmony is balanced as much as possible, to give them self esteem.

The heart is the best teacher, I think, and we humans are incredibly powerful if we enter the silent space in our heart.
Thanks for making my day, McMaster! :)

Celine
29th September 2010, 05:11
A conversation in the chatroom reminded me that this video would fit in perfect here..

An example of a "creative teacher"

Slam Poet Taylor Mali.. What teachers make..

RxsOVK4syxU

kaliestar
29th September 2010, 05:35
School does indeed kill creativity, that's why I left it! Creativity was always fundamental to me and I saw that in school I wasn't really learning much, so.....

morguana
29th September 2010, 08:56
i think to say that schools kill creativity is a huge sweeping statement, some do and some dont.
my kids school is a lovely place, the kids are activly encouraged to express themselves in creative, autonomous and empowered manner.
it is a c of e school that works in a very steiner way, the parents are encouraged to take an active roll and partnership with the teachers and pupils,
the children work on projects and have feedom to express them selves via this method of teaching, they spend much time outside, growing their own fruit and veg,
taking care of the grounds, cooking, lots of games, art, drama, music, being active within our village community etc........
its all done with the enjoyment of the children in mind. learning though play and positive reienforcement is essential to the ethos of this particular school.
(i was going to home educate, but my daughter chose to go to school)

anyone read any books by john holt? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Holt_%28educator%29 exellent reads and i would highly recommend them to any parent who is
interested in the child learning process. particuly these......
# How Children Fail (1964; revised 1982)
# How Children Learn (1967; revised 1983)
love
m

kaliestar
29th September 2010, 09:02
Of course some do and some don't, but I can tell by my experience and by sooooo many other people I've seen, that in many cases schools really do kill our creative impulses.

mike1414
29th September 2010, 10:41
i love TED!...some really cool stuff on there...thank you for this thread...

the education of our children in general is in my opinion not what is should be....however this is so deeply rooted and effects absolutely everything i believe it will be shy on impossible to change the education system without a complete change in the way we view and interact in our world too...

our views on life and how we live together and our priorities..individually and global (is there a difference?)....our communication and the way we use languages....our history and knowledge of where we are going....the way we interact with the world...physically, emotionally and spiritually.....EVERYTHING is affected...

too many big wigs still holding positions of ''authority'' in ''governments'' having positions in nations where the ''best intentions'' of the people are at heart....in a nutshell....

however i truly believe that it is a case of teachers just not knowing any better.....obviously and understandably we know something is wrong...but to apply that to changing ones life and the way the world works is such a can of worms....as im sure we are all aware....it doesnt bare thinking about...especially with the ''stresses'' of everyday life...(it is a similar case reflected throughout society imo)....and to try to adapt that to teaching our children is a mega-huge puzzle...yet one that needs making and imo it will be made...for the better and for everyone involved...

times are changing...:) keep smiling

the thing that is and is going to be the big change in education is the CHILDREN....and this is the case at the moment and has been since i have been teaching anyway...

people in general are changing...the way we look at and interpret the world, the way we interact with the world....the focus on how they want to live and be part of something...
the child of today is very much different to the child say 20/30 yrs ago.... many people can speculate and read about these ''new children'' being born with their names and labels (i really cant stand this era of labels we still have!)...but it is not until one actually sees first hand how different these children are...there is a brightness and buzz about them that one can not simply ignore...it is a light that really can not be put out...and it is truly magical....
i come away daily form ''work'' having learnt more about life than going in there...and it is the parents of these children too who themselves are having a re-education and are changing the way they see the world and indeed their part in it...

so imho..education and its structure will change for the better one day...not too far away either....but it will come about bcos we are changing and our needs and focus is changing...

personally i enjoy dropping other information i believe they will find interesting in my school too and i know other teachers who do the same...with the most positive and loving intentions at heart....and many times the children will already know this info....
for example last yr i taught how the fibonacci sequence works which is part of our numbers and patterns (this is not new)...and later on that day i was told by this 10 yr old that she had seen that sequence or the 'fibonishi' sequence as she called it :) everywhere.... what do you men everywhere? i asked......out in the garden at lunch...its everywhere...i always see these patterns but didnt know they had a funny name...she said... - there are many more but this is just one of many beautiful and lovely little signs that shows to me that we as a people are changing...and for the better...

(dont worry people rant nearly over...)

i think the struggle in education today should be more focused on secondary schools....where the real ''conditioning'' kicks in....most people come away from primary school with fond memories...then to be traumatised when experiencing secondary or high school and from then on it is generally an uphill battle for many...

there are no coincidences

much love and peace to all
mike

Rimbaud
1st October 2010, 00:12
As a fairly non descript student..I maintain that it was the teachers character that either made me want to "learn" or not...To give you an example; when I was six I shoved my right arm through a window, severing my artery into my hand and severing the nerves on four of my fingers. I couldn't feel half my hand and still cant...One teacher used to punish me for bad handwriting..I mean a cane on my bum!...Another teacher spent hours on her own time exercising my wounded hand for weeks and weeks. I will forever adore Miss. Donn for spending that time on me...in the meantime I detest that old cow whose name I've forgotten, who should have been struck off.

We all remember those who were kind to us don't we?...The rest of them are hopefully dead!

Rimbaud

Celine
1st October 2010, 00:24
i think to say that schools kill creativity is a huge sweeping statement, some do and some dont.
my kids school is a lovely place, the kids are activly encouraged to express themselves in creative, autonomous and empowered manner.
it is a c of e school that works in a very steiner way, the parents are encouraged to take an active roll and partnership with the teachers and pupils,
the children work on projects and have feedom to express them selves via this method of teaching, they spend much time outside, growing their own fruit and veg,
taking care of the grounds, cooking, lots of games, art, drama, music, being active within our village community etc........
its all done with the enjoyment of the children in mind. learning though play and positive reienforcement is essential to the ethos of this particular school.
(i was going to home educate, but my daughter chose to go to school)

anyone read any books by john holt? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Holt_%28educator%29 exellent reads and i would highly recommend them to any parent who is
interested in the child learning process. particuly these......
# How Children Fail (1964; revised 1982)
# How Children Learn (1967; revised 1983)
love
m

I spent years working with our local schools , morguana to try to reduce the 58% drop out rate ...

58?? can you believe that...

that is not the childrens fault..nor the teachers..imo..its the systems

i will take a look at the book, thanks for the suggestion

Ps: morguana...if you could pass on the Taylor Mali video to the teachers at your kids school... i would appreciate it. Teachers everwhere..and of all kinds deserve our appreciation :)

sjkted
1st October 2010, 07:49
No. Now go back to your seat, read the lesson, and keep your mouth shut!

--sjkted

sepia
1st October 2010, 09:48
Great video from TED. This guy talking has some good thoughts about this. And he also says that modern society strip mines our head the way we strip mine the planet, just to suit the needs of the industrys.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html
(same Video, different Link. The other one didn't work for me)

Thank you so much for this great link McMaster!

An example of a "creative teacher"

Slam Poet Taylor Mali.. What teachers make..

RxsOVK4syxU

And thank you for yours Celine! Wonderfull! Brings tears in my eyes!

I have met many very good teachers, smart, loving, visionary people! Many of them quit! Many of them are burned out! Their own creativity got lost out of several reasons:

Their energy gets exploited from a system that seems to really fight them.

They have to spend more and more time for masses of Administration, for projects (creative work to improve the system) that ends up in some drawer...

I hope the turn-around is soon to come and the appreciation is waiting just around the corner, because at the moment we are loosing more and more teachers.
Those who stay often do this because they have no other option.
- That doesn't help to support the children's creativity!

The situation is certainly different in every country - but the suppressing intention comes from a higher level, not from all these good people involved! :(

sepia
1st October 2010, 10:54
I mean a cane on my bum!...

Oh Goodness!

Sounds like 19th Century! - So sorry to hear!

And this person was called a teacher and didn't realise that you were insured? Hmmm!

Pain stays pain - even when we have an other example beside, like this teacher who spent much time to support you!

My compassion is reaching out to you!

morguana
1st October 2010, 13:42
Celien will post it on the school website :) ;)
love
m

McMaster
1st October 2010, 14:25
Great messages from you all!

I can't remember much of the primary school, but what I do remember, I believe we were still supported what ever we were good at. I remeber one time, when we had to write a story of some historical event, and I wrote a story about Pompei on the volcano day. After I finished reading the story for the class, my teacher said to the rest of the class: "Just remeber, that when "McMaster" writes hes first book, you can all say you were on the same class with him". :) That sort of things you remember! I believe it started at high school and college where you didn't really have any option, either you complied to the rules or you got bad scores and got told off. I was lucky in that sense that I learned very easily. I did follow somewhat at the school, but very rarely did my homework or read for the exams etc. I had lot better time with my friends playing outside. I passed all the schools with and average scores and am reasonably well off.

At the moment I feel like I'm on crossroads. I woluntarely quit from work and am now unemployed by choice. I started thinking, that I haven't had a holiday longer than two months since I started at primary school, and not a holiday longer than 1 month since I was 13. So now I have been off work for 4 months, been just fishing and such, and just BEEN. I most likely will still go to work, but to do what and when, I don't have a clue.

Thanks for all the replys!

Peace and Love to you all!

heyokah
1st October 2010, 14:33
I must have been 4 years old and in Kindergarten, when I had to stand in front of the classroom with a big piece of (brown, smelly) sticky-paper on my mouth
because I was too noisy....
The only thing I was afraid of is the sticky-paper getting loose because of my breath..... and that I had to laugh out loud !
I remember almost wetting my pants, but didn't want to "surrender" by yelling it out...
I still remember every minute !

Was sent out of the classroom up till 3rd grade high-school........then advised to leave school all together.

Much later (in my thirties) I became a high-school teacher and I know I was always a kind and loving one, with humor and creativity....
They have not been able to kill that !!!

observer
1st October 2010, 15:08
Every school in the U.S. (preschool to higher institutions of learning) receives regular up-dates on 'procedural techniques' from the Tavistock Institute of Human Relations in London. This little known institution is the foundational organization in modern times that influences the hypnosis of Humanity (mind control). Located within the walls of "The City" of London (a sovereign independent state) this institute directs the affairs of the education 'system' - at least in the United States:

Chapter Sixteen of David Icke's book, 'The Biggest Secret' - 'Where have all the children gone?' -

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/biggestsecret/biggestsecretbook/biggestsecret16.htm

Follow the links, you will gain an understanding that was previously hidden from the public view....

wynderer
1st October 2010, 15:43
any institution that is a part of the Matrix, including the educational institution, of COURSE is designed to kill creativity

i think it is horrible that little children spend hours every day sitting on their butts under fluorescent lights instead of being outside playing in the sun -- a lot of kids go thru the USA 'educational' system & come out effectively not knowing how to read -- they can play violent video games really well, tho!

Celine
1st October 2010, 16:18
Celien will post it on the school website :) ;)
love
m

Thank you morguana.

Teachers are a valuable ressource that are severely under-supported by the system and society imo

Victoria Tintagel
2nd October 2010, 20:06
Thanks Mike, for your experiences at school and the change you see in the kids, I see it too as I work with kids as a day-Nanny. I agree that the change of schoolsystem will come about because the kids will show the way and also because we are changing and our needs and focus, yes. In Holland there are private schools, setting up classes in "levenskunst" in Dutch, which means learning the ART OF LIFE, including social skills, creative communal activities, sharing and expressing in dance or on stage, for example.

I agree with Rimbaud too, that the character of the teacher is what makes kids eager to learn, I had a music teacher in secondary school, who played grammophone disks for us, with Grieg's Moldau.
I cannot remember what he said exactly, but he showed passion and told us that the river Moldau was the inspiration for this piece of music. He was able to catch my attention and I still love this piece of music, in which the river Moldau begins as a trickle, high in the mountain, finding her path through winding beddings, narrow and wide, waterfalls, different landscapes and speed, beautifully expressed in the music.

This I find so true and I agree:
Quoting Mike1414 here: "the child of today is very much different to the child say 20/30 yrs ago.... many people can speculate and read about these ''new children'' being born with their names and labels (i really cant stand this era of labels we still have!)...but it is not until one actually sees first hand how different these children are...there is a brightness and buzz about them that one can not simply ignore...it is a light that really can not be put out...and it is truly magical....

i come away daily form ''work'' having learnt more about life than going in there...and it is the parents of these children too who themselves are having a re-education and are changing the way they see the world and indeed their part in it..."
Also here "i think the struggle in education today should be more focused on secondary schools....where the real ''conditioning'' kicks in....most people come away from primary school with fond memories...then to be traumatised when experiencing secondary or high school and from then on it is generally an uphill battle for many..."
so imho..education and its structure will change for the better one day...not too far away either....but it will come about bcos we are changing and our needs and focus is changing...
Thanks for this great thread and all posts, Avalonians, kids are beautiful and pure teachers.

rhythm
2nd October 2010, 20:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig7ggs4lBNk
very dark days school was in my experience...:blabla:
tho i do know that the stiener schools are so much better
and do not stifle creativity ...but incourage indivuduality
i know a stiener teacher a whole different attitude indeed ...

xbusymom
3rd October 2010, 04:37
i think the struggle in education today should be more focused on secondary schools....where the real ''conditioning'' kicks in....

don't worry about that... cause it will happen anyway when 'the kids' get old enough for high school...I already see the beginning stages of the quiet revolt (and deal with it) playing out in unconventional teachings (look at the surge of homeschooling or kids forcing teachers to teach with a different method/ environment because the kids are smarter than the teachers - but the teachers haven't caught on to the new game yet... ). these kids are turning the education system on its head with the non-compliance campaigns. My youngest son fought learning the 'right' way ... he dragged through 3 years of 9th grade until I just gave up and suggest he might want to go to Job Corps.

Victoria Tintagel
3rd October 2010, 07:27
Here's a book that I recommend to everybody, as we all raise ourselves.....It's called "Raising Children in Love, Justice and Truth" written by Barry Long
ISBN 978-1-899324-13-2
Barry Long Books

Blessed be and enjoy another glorious day, be happy for no reason, Tint.

rhythm
3rd October 2010, 07:53
i forgot to mention in my post here ...that the very first teacher i had ... you know when you had those little chairs ... well in those by gone days the teacher ? would call you up to his desk for all manner of reasons ...hmmm .this was my first expirence with what these days would be called a
phedo , sorry cant spell that ... what it amounted to was that he usesd to put is sweaty little hand inside my panties ... and have his perfy little fiddle around ...hmmm to this day i dont know why i never said eny thing:confused:please im not suggesting teachers are all pervs... i belive that the fast magority are realy well meaning ... but of course they all have to follow the rules as laid down...and i have known a few teachers who in private have much to say ... and lot of it not incouraging ...one who was a head of school who now in his eigtys regrets much of what he had to do .. this is a deep subject and i could go on :blabla:head u cage...hmmm

Rimbaud
5th October 2010, 03:53
i forgot to mention in my post here ...that the very first teacher i had ... you know when you had those little chairs ... well in those by gone days the teacher ? would call you up to his desk for all manner of reasons ...hmmm .this was my first expirence with what these days would be called a
phedo , sorry cant spell that ... what it amounted to was that he usesd to put is sweaty little hand inside my panties ... and have his perfy little fiddle around ...hmmm to this day i dont know why i never said eny thing:confused:please im not suggesting teachers are all pervs... i belive that the fast magority are realy well meaning ... but of course they all have to follow the rules as laid down...and i have known a few teachers who in private have much to say ... and lot of it not incouraging ...one who was a head of school who now in his eigtys regrets much of what he had to do .. this is a deep subject and i could go on :blabla:head u cage...hmmm

I'm sorry that you had that horrible experience in your life rythm...I guess it happened to alot of us in those days..It sure happened to me too and it's an experience that neither of us will forget. EVER!. But I wonder if we can't forgive?..Somehow I've managed to get the beast who did it to me out of my life. He was a Franciscan Monk who held lots of us boys within his circle. The last time I saw him he was an old man who couldn't hurt anyone even if he wanted to..I just felt pity for him. The dirty old sod died and that was the end of my guilt. I'm sorry..it's different for girls and I understand that.

Rimbaud

observer
6th October 2010, 13:04
On the subject of education, I think George Carlin summed it up best:

George Carlin - The American Dream: (Caution: contains adult language, for those of you who are sensitive to those sorts of things)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q&feature=related

conk
6th October 2010, 15:02
My daughter was in 5th grade. She had a test and got all questions right, except for one. Her answer was correct logically. Three different answers would have been technically correct. By coincidence (if you believe in them) I bumped into the teacher later and asked her about the question. She said yes, perhaps a few different answers would have sufficed, but the answer she wanted was not written down. I asked her when the next ESP/mind reading class started so I could sign up my child. Think I got a dirty glare? That day was when I decided to really educate my children and myself. It's been a wild ride, but we are all a lot more educated in the real world of manipulation and control.

Now, at 14 and 16, the girls will hear something on the news and look to me with raised eyebrows, seeking confirmation of what was said or for the real answer. They now KNOW!

Atlas
30th May 2015, 11:50
[...] as children learn to paint, play on stage, dance, sing [...]
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfp1/t51.2885-15/e15/11005120_786410604747211_2001148319_n.jpg

Uptown Funk by Ky Baldwin (http://www.kybaldwin.com/index.php/videos/uptown-funk-cover/)

lET-fk67F8o
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpf1/t51.2885-15/e15/10724201_829761987084912_745243037_n.jpg

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0

Carmody
30th May 2015, 23:56

Yes.

Yes.

My experience as well. But I have never worked at one, but I've got teachers in the family ..and been told I'd make a fun teacher/prof.

My problem is that I'd get the kids in trouble. I'd not allow them to settle for less, and you know how the young can go overboard on things. As I did.

I tell the young today that their indignation and clarity is justified and real. And that indignation and clarity they have now, the annals of time will attempt to soften it and pull it from them. The view is simple, I tell them, the reality is simple. Don't let lies, time, and life pull that truth from you..for they will try. And in almost all of your friends..this will succeed, it will work.And you will watch the light to life go dull in their minds. So you have a choice to make. Will you hold on to that moment and move into being fully aware.. or will you let it die inside you? Think.

So you can see how I would quickly get myself into trouble.

Of course, not exactly in this order..but I'd been on a high dose hallucinogen, been in handcuffs, in a bar fight where my head was split open, operated on without anesthetic while being held down by four people, and some other stuff.....all before getting out of kindergarten, ie age 5 years for some of it and younger for some. I'm not kidding! The stories for each instance would have to be told so it makes sense but...there you go. They are all true. I had my eyes opened early. school of hard knocks, if you can survive it.

Oh yea, had to be reminded of those things by reading this earlier post. yes, those things are true.

Not that I was really in the fight, at the given 'bar', but..yes indeedy, in a notable way, it was a barfight, kind of....

I was injured, you see, and there was lots of blood, and my parents weren't around, and there was danger of concussion. Plus, I was only 5, so they had to seal me up.

So .....they used 4 people to hold me down, and proceeded to operate (clean out, etc) and then sew me up.

(edit: danger of concussion, only 5, so.... no anesthetic. The cut was down to the bone, beside my eye, so 4 people to hold me down, the slightest move could cost me the eye)

Atlas
13th June 2017, 22:16
Uptown Funk by the Haschak Sisters
aRokmEJO8Cg