PDA

View Full Version : How I got over the funk/depression I was in. And yes, you too can do it! Lol!

Youniverse
8th June 2013, 21:53
Hello family! So I'd been in a funk or depression for several months, until I decided that was enough. Who decided it was enough? I did. Not the mental construct or the 'little I' that can also be called 'me,' but the real I. The I that is consciousness itself, rooted in being. More specifically, I identified the cause of my depression as not accepting what is or the suchness of what IS, and I was constantly feeling like "this should not be happening," or "this situation or set of circumstances is wrong." This is how we get trapped in forms, the outward manifestations of the ego. When we try to find ourselves in the world we get lost in it. We cannot find ourselves where we ultimately are not. If we look to things or thought forms/concepts of this world for direction and clarity, we are asking a 'madman' for directions. We are looking into disfunction and expecting it to provide function. We are expecting sanity from insanity. And utlimately the things and concepts of this world are insane, even the ones that appear to be more pure and helpful on the outside, because they are derived from the ego.

So as soon as I recognized that I had not been accepting, or in a state of surrender to what IS, I immediately felt a little bit better. Then that feeling started to grow into much better. After that I also realized that I had become absorbed into my so-called problems, as if they were a genuine part of me. Well actually, they were a part of 'me', but not a part of I or 'I am.' Problems will always be a part of the ego, or at least those matters that the ego turns into problems. More and more I created space between I and the ego. More and more I remember to see "this is the situation, and this is how I feel/think about the situation." More and more, situations and concepts and feelings lose their heaviness and suffocating sensation. Lightness has returned to everything I'm engaged in. That feeling of lightness, naturally comes in when I continue to realize that I am not the creations or manifestations. I am the one that notices them. I am not the 'problems' as the ego sees them. Rather, I am the one that sees the ego seeing situations and feelings as a problem. And I laugh! Not in a condescending sort of way, but in a "how could I have let myself be duped into this madness again?" sort of way.

So did all the issues and personal matters just disappear or float away? Not really, although on some level they did because I stopped identifying with those issues as a part of who I really am. There still are things I need to address, it's just HOW I address them that has changed. I will notice as soon as the ego starts to turn them into personal problems and see the seperation between my thoughts/feelings and what the issue actually is.

For awhile the ego even convinced me that it was somehow spiritually aware, or more accurately, as far is the ego is concerned, you are more aware or awake than some, and not as much as others. First of all, the ego and awareness are mutually exclusive. You can't have one and have the other at the same time. Ego is the opposite of awareness, it is unconsciousness. And the ego will always experience some sense of lack (I'm not as aware as others are) or a sense of 'more than' (I'm more aware than some). Ultimately you are either awake or you are not. Perhaps there are gradations of awareness as you experience the slipping away of inessentials brought on by diligent spiritual practices, but consciousness itself does not lack anything, it just IS.

A great way to remind oneself of your true nature is to reflect on a symbol for the Buddha (forgive me, I forgot which language it was written). The important part for the purpose here is that it is a symbol with two characters. One character stands for "man," and the other "not man." So what does this imply? It implies that there is ego and there is consciousness. The two are not the same. However, as is still the case for much of humanity, they are confused over and over again. The Buddha was the Buddha because he was able to sort out that which is consciousness from that which is ego. And yet, he allowed each to BE, in total acceptance of what is. He did not make them enemies of each other. He did not make the ego into some sort of personal problem. Then he experienced great peace and joy in the realization of who he really is. The same peace and joy each of us can experience when we live in the timelessness of the now, and stop creating more time to get lost in. Thanks for listening!

Youniverse
8th June 2013, 21:57
Sorry for the disorderly script! I made indentations when I wrote it but for some reason it did not come out that way in the thread. You hopefully will still be able to find some coherence in the message! Lol.

CdnSirian
8th June 2013, 22:07
Well worth the read anyway! Cheers.

Deemah
8th June 2013, 22:10
Very spiritual and beautiful discourse!

Being caught up in ego as a main processing center I think could cause a very harsh reality, because our egos can project an intense amount of judgment on to everything we do due to ego's limited perspective it disses and argues things and feeling beyond its basic 3D understanding.

On the other hand a feel it is crucial to nourish ego and let it know that you appreciate it for what its designed to do. The best results achieved when ego and spirit are working in harmony, so then both things can expand without internal conflicts and judgment that cause depression~

L&L

ThePythonicCow
8th June 2013, 22:10
Sorry for the disorderly script! I made indentations when I wrote it but for some reason it did not come out that way in the thread. You hopefully will still be able to find some coherence in the message! Lol.

Indentations are ignored by our forum software.

The only thing that works well is double spacing (hit RETURN twice) between paragraphs ... I just added some double spacing for ya' :).

Youniverse
8th June 2013, 22:20
Very spiritual and beautiful discourse!

Being caught up in ego as a main processing center I think could cause a very harsh reality, because our egos can project an intense amount of judgment on to everything we do due to ego's limited perspective it disses and argues things and feeling beyond its basic 3D understanding.

On the other hand a feel it is crucial to nourish ego and let it know that you appreciate it for what its designed to do. The best results achieved when ego and spirit are working in harmony, so then both things can expand without internal conflicts and judgment that cause depression~

L&L

Thanks! And yes that's a good point! The Buddha embodied that harmony or balance between the ego and consciousness you speak of. Of course, he would have operated from Being at all times and not allowed the ego to be in control.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Indentations are ignored by our forum software.

The only thing that works well is double spacing (hit RETURN twice) between paragraphs ... I just added some double spacing for ya' :).

Thanks Paul! I'll do that next time!

wolf_rt
9th June 2013, 01:18
Youniverse.

Well said. I can see your point and relate it to my own experience.

you wrote- "So did all the issues and personal matters just disappear or float away? Not really, although on some level they did because I stopped identifying with those issues as a part of who I really am. There still are things I need to address, it's just HOW I address them that has changed. I will notice as soon as the ego starts to turn them into personal problems and see the seperation between my thoughts/feelings and what the issue actually is."

could you expand on how you deal with / notice when negative thoughts begin to intrude?

i believe i understand what you mean by a me/i separation, and how the ego relates to this issue. I do struggle to break what i call 'circles of negative thoughts' even though i can recognise them for what they are... any tips?

Youniverse
10th June 2013, 02:13
Youniverse.

Well said. I can see your point and relate it to my own experience.

you wrote- "So did all the issues and personal matters just disappear or float away? Not really, although on some level they did because I stopped identifying with those issues as a part of who I really am. There still are things I need to address, it's just HOW I address them that has changed. I will notice as soon as the ego starts to turn them into personal problems and see the seperation between my thoughts/feelings and what the issue actually is."

could you expand on how you deal with / notice when negative thoughts begin to intrude?

i believe i understand what you mean by a me/i separation, and how the ego relates to this issue. I do struggle to break what i call 'circles of negative thoughts' even though i can recognise them for what they are... any tips?

Hello wolf_rt and thanks for the response and question! Well basically as soon as we start thinking and/or saying things in a judging/criticizing way we know the ego is in control. There are many kinds of thoughts and emotions to look out for. Of course, this is all content, as Eckhart Tolle calls it. Being aware of the structure of the egoic mind helps a lot, because it aids one in identifying those thoughts or emotions created by the ego. Tolle also says that the ego wants to want more than anything else. It wants to want even more than having things, possessions. So we need to examine very closely those things we attach words like 'mine' to and then consider if we would be diminished by the loss of that possession. Also, anytime we get really defensive about anything or argue (usually accompanied by a rush of emotion such as anger or resentment) we know the ego is in control. But that's okay! As soon as you are aware that what you are saying or thinking is ego driven, you are already returning to consciousness, the real you. When we go for long periods of time, or even short periods, operated by the ego, we are unconscious and don't even know that we are(because we're unconscious). If you're under the spell of the ego, you think, say, or do things under the belief in seperation. So you see everyone else as a potential threat or competitor. Western culture has indoctrinated us for quite some time to see competition as a good thing. We're told that it's the only way to drive progress. However, this is the voice of the ego, and the ego is always dysfunctional in some way. It always has limits. The ego says competition is good because of its inherent belief in dominating others and making itself right and others wrong in some way. It thinks that by beating others at whatever pointless competition, it is somehow more. And if you feel you need to be more, it follows that there must be some sense of lack or not good enough yet. The "I am" is whole and complete and therefore does not need to compete to prove itself or make itself feel better.

Attachment to possessions and the feeling of ownership are two big ones. It's not that we should never possess physical items. Of course we need some in order to live in the physical world. It's how we think and feel about those possessions that we need to be careful with. When we identify with things, we get lost in them and therefore suffer sooner or later. If we hold any grudges or resentments, we know its ego and therefore it would be worthwhile to investigate why we hold those resentments and let them go or forgive in other words. Also, if we find ourselves talking about someone else and calling them a derogatory name we are unconsciously reducing them to a concept/thought form in order to make ourselves right and that person wrong. That is classic ego.

One way that might help to catch oneself in the grip of the ego is, when you feel a heaviness and you seem to rationalize every negative thought, and you believe that those negative thoughts are the only reasonable way to frame a situation, person, or whatever, that is the ego in you. It's a false reality that we live in when governed by the ego. Hope some of that helps.