PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifiers for drinking water

Sith73
17th June 2013, 23:39
I just wanted to throw this out there for all. If some of you guys are living off the grid, using solar power or own a home or renting here's a way to pull water from the air by using a Dehumidifier for drinking water. You could use a filter if you want. You don't have to worry about the fluoride and the other crap in drinking water. I just did an experiment this evening and set up a dehumidifier on my back porch for about an hour and it pulled the water from the air which I poured that water into a pitcher with a built in filter. Not a bad way to gather water if you can power the dehumidifier. I got the idea from the first Star Wars when Luke worked in the desert around the moisture evaporators. You can purchase Dehumidifiers online or in most Hardware Stores. They all range in price and can last for years. Just keep them clean. They are also not made to be left outside to be rained on cause that will ruin them. Let me know what you think.

Tesseract
18th June 2013, 01:08
You can also buy purpose built electric coolers that are made just for that purpose - to extract water from the atmosphere for drinking.

Anchor
18th June 2013, 01:16
Just make sure you keep everything scrupulously clean and you should be ok.

On hot days, when I drive most places with the a/c on (Australian here, it gets hot, a/c is not just a luxury, that's my story and I am sticking to it...) and I park up, I often see thirsty birds running under the car looking for the water drops coming from the a/c drain hose. So if they can do it, we can.

Earth Angel
18th June 2013, 01:17
and its distilled water isn't it ?? I believe Andrew Norton Weber was talking about this.....and the water that drips from your air conditioner too!

Bubu
18th June 2013, 01:57
"one thing that mainstream science deliberately failed to mention is that there is nutrition in water "MINERALS"

"I just wanted to throw this out there for all. If some of you guys are living off the grid, using solar power or own a home or renting here's a way to pull water from the air by using a Dehumidifier for drinking water. You could use a filter if you want. You don't have to worry about the fluoride and the other crap in drinking water. I just did an experiment this evening and set up a dehumidifier on my back porch for about an hour and it pulled the water from the air which I poured that water into a pitcher with a built in filter. Not a bad way to gather water if you can power the dehumidifier. I got the idea from the first Star Wars when Luke worked in the desert around the moisture evaporators. You can purchase Dehumidifiers online or in most Hardware Stores. They all range in price and can last for years. Just keep them clean. They are also not made to be left outside to be rained on cause that will ruin them. Let me know what you think."

If it uses power then it is not ideal for off grid. I use to have a Bio sand filter. had the water tested 30 days after installation and after one year of use. Excellent quality with lots of minerals. Feed water is from an open well. I built it for less than $5. I will post plans of this here. http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?60132-How-s-and-Why-s-of-Alternative-and-Off-grid-living in the meantime you might want to see where I got the Idea their construction plans though is a bit complicated so I came up with a cheaper one. http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/hawaiira...009%5B1%5D.pdf

Rex
18th June 2013, 16:06
I've read some mixed things about using dehumidifier water. One is the issue of whether or not distilled water is good for you. The other issue is that the cooling unit is typically made of some kind of metal, sometimes copper based, and likely has soldered connections which may contain lead. Proper filtering is called for here.

I would follow Tesseract's lead.

conk
18th June 2013, 18:18
I've read some mixed things about using dehumidifier water. One is the issue of whether or not distilled water is good for you. The other issue is that the cooling unit is typically made of some kind of metal, sometimes copper based, and likely has soldered connections which may contain lead. Proper filtering is called for here.

I would follow Tesseract's lead.Should anyone be worried about distilled water (and there is no reason to) simply add a few grains of rice or a small amount of real sea salt or a squirt of quality liquid minerals. Cheers, drink up.

Octavusprime
18th June 2013, 18:40

I would follow Tesseract's lead.

I agree. The water must be filtered to remove bacteria and heavy metals that are growing on the condensers and/or leaching from the welds.

Here is a DIY version. Basically run that collected water through an appropriate filtration system and if you want add minerals back in. Cheers!

http://m.instructables.com/id/DIY-Atmospheric-Water-Generator/