PDA

View Full Version : Why should "we" kill bees?

Chester
29th June 2013, 10:55
What a lovely new revelation - ain't the illumed and nutty wonderful folk?

read here (http://politicalblindspot.org/russia-suggests-that-war-may-be-necessary-to-stop-monsanto/?utm_source=Request+More+Info&utm_campaign=a5ed7e24d0-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_215d7fc24c-a5ed7e24d0-412858081)

Another1
29th June 2013, 11:23
I really like bees. Kewl lil buggers that overcome all odds. Didja know that our bestest scientists assured us for years that a bee should not be able to fly? They spent a gazillion dollars testing and researching and finally decided they fly by flapping their wings real fast. It's true. I have a link here someplace. http://www.livescience.com/528-scientists-finally-figure-bees-fly.html
(http://www.livescience.com/528-scientists-finally-figure-bees-fly.html)
That article you point to is interesting. CNN forgot to tell us this:

The shocking minutes relating to President Putin’s meeting last month with US Secretary of State John Kerry reveal the Russian leaders “extreme outrage” over the Obama regimes continued protection of global seed and plant bio-genetic giants Syngenta and Monsanto in the face of a growing “bee apocalypse” that the Kremlin warns “will most certainly” lead to world war.

Kiforall
29th June 2013, 12:17
90% of wild bee population dead.... is this not game over?

Chester
29th June 2013, 14:52
90% of wild bee population dead.... is this not game over?

Its a game changer but I doubt there is ever an end to this game until they find a way to nuke the multi-verse hahaha (Chester! don't give the bastards ideas now!!!)

Octavusprime
29th June 2013, 16:59
It is one of the biggest problems of our time. Without bees, current agriculture will be decimated.

Aside from the known issues surrounding the BT killings there is another problem plaguing the most holy of the insects. This issue is one that every person can help with. With the ever growing urban sprawl many native plants that provide food to wild bees are being eliminated. Land has been cleared and left vacant. Basically there isn't enough food to sustain any bee population even if they could survive the onslaught of pesticides.

What can we do to help. Many people have gardens but we don't often realize the value of flowering plants. "If it doesn't produce food its just a plant with little value to humans" Flowers are valuable and directly effect the populations of bees. Variety is key. Often the same plants are used to landscape new housing developments. This is done with aesthetics and ease of upkeep in mind but little thought is put into how to help nature.

Plant a wide variety of flowering plants. The key is to provide flowering plants throughout the growing season. Local plants are best. For me in California, the rosebud tree is an amazing local flowering tree with thousands of flowers per tree in the early spring months. Bees need a steady stream of pollen and necter to keep their hive fed throughout the spring and summer months as well as build honey stockpiles to last the fall and winter months.

A small list of bee attracting plants.

Annuals
Asters
Calliopsis
Clover
Marigolds
Poppies
Sunflowers
Zinnias

Perennials
Buttercups
Clematis
Cosmos
Crocuses
Dahlias
Echinacea
English Ivy
Foxglove
Geraniums
Germander
Globe Thistle
Hollyhocks
Hyacinth
Rock Cress
Roses
Sedum
Snowdrops
Squills
Tansy
Yellow Hyssop

Fruits & Veggies
Blackberries
Cantaloupe
Cucumbers
Gourds
Fruit Trees
Peppers
Pumpkins
Raspberries
Squash
Strawberries
Watermelons
Wild Garlic

Herbs
Bee Balm
Borage
Catnip
Coriander/Cilantro
Fennel
Lavender
Mints
Rosemary
Sage
Thyme

Shrubs
Blueberry
Butterfly Bush
Button Bush
Honeysuckle
Indigo
Privet

Trees
Alder
American Holly
Basswood
Black Gum
Black Locust
Buckeyes
Catalpa
Eastern Redbud
Golden Rain
Hawthorns
Hazels
Linden
Magnolia
Maples
Mountain Ash
Poplar
Sycamore
Tulip
Willows

Save the honey bee!!!

william r sanford72
29th June 2013, 18:15
i can testify this has been ongoing for some time and its now revealing itself in the decline of other insects.bumblebees masonbees..etc..its hitting everything in the insect world.honeybees can and do adapt.with a little help.really cool thread and important post.get a HIVE!!keep some bees.protect some bees .feed some bees.any action is good.it helps!!

Mulder
29th June 2013, 21:28
Einstein did predict we have only a few years of life without bees as quoted in the movie "the happening"

MadMax1
30th June 2013, 01:44
Not sure on other countries but we still have plenty of bees here in Australia domestic and wild alot of the honey farms in the bush have the best honey i have ever had, You can't go to far without spotting some bees fly around i the warmer months of the year which is 9 months out of the year for us. I guess we are one of the lucky places that still have lots of bees thank goodenss maybe it's because we have alot of wild flowers as well as alot of native plants and trees that have flowers i love going to the fruit shop and getting a different flavoured jar of honey each time we need it.

meat suit
30th June 2013, 11:17
get into beekeeping guys!
I am doing it , its great....
you can learn it all on youtube and join your local beekeepers association, they are full of caring guys keen to teach you how it works....

btw. if you ever wondered why communism doesnt work...... it was invented for insects ....

toad
30th June 2013, 18:40
I really like bees. Kewl lil buggers that overcome all odds. Didja know that our bestest scientists assured us for years that a bee should not be able to fly? They spent a gazillion dollars testing and researching and finally decided they fly by flapping their wings real fast. It's true. I have a link here someplace. http://www.livescience.com/528-scientists-finally-figure-bees-fly.html
(http://www.livescience.com/528-scientists-finally-figure-bees-fly.html)
That article you point to is interesting. CNN forgot to tell us this:

The shocking minutes relating to President Putin’s meeting last month with US Secretary of State John Kerry reveal the Russian leaders “extreme outrage” over the Obama regimes continued protection of global seed and plant bio-genetic giants Syngenta and Monsanto in the face of a growing “bee apocalypse” that the Kremlin warns “will most certainly” lead to world war.

Yeah they did this with flies aswell, the mechanical dynamics that goes into flight and the miniscule brain power thats attributed is absolutely amazing. Nature continues to amaze me each and every day.

william r sanford72
30th June 2013, 19:39
get into beekeeping guys!
I am doing it , its great....
you can learn it all on youtube and join your local beekeepers association, they are full of caring guys keen to teach you how it works....

btw. if you ever wondered why communism doesnt work...... it was invented for insects ....

Very cool meat suit. beekeeping is such a natural and fun teaching tool.makes one become very aware of the envirorment.in tune....:nod:.....:wizard: