PDA

View Full Version : Do You Suffer From Folate Receptor Antibodies, Common to Autism and Other Illnesses?

Tesla_WTC_Solution
3rd July 2013, 18:42
http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v18/n3/full/mp2011175a.html
Molecular Psychiatry (2013) 18, 369–381; doi:10.1038/mp.2011.175; published online 10 January 2012
Cerebral folate receptor autoantibodies in autism spectrum disorder

Cerebral folate deficiency (CFD) syndrome is a neurodevelopmental disorder typically caused by folate receptor autoantibodies (FRAs) that interfere with folate transport across the blood–brain barrier.

Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) and improvements in ASD symptoms with leucovorin (folinic acid) treatment have been reported in some children with CFD. In children with ASD, the prevalence of FRAs and the response to leucovorin in FRA-positive children has not been systematically investigated.

In this study, serum FRA concentrations were measured in 93 children with ASD and a high prevalence (75.3%) of FRAs was found. In 16 children, the concentration of blocking FRA significantly correlated with cerebrospinal fluid 5-methyltetrahydrofolate concentrations, which were below the normative mean in every case.

Children with FRAs were treated with oral leucovorin calcium (2 mg kg−1 per day; maximum 50 mg per day). Treatment response was measured and compared with a wait-list control group. Compared with controls, significantly higher improvement ratings were observed in treated children over a mean period of 4 months in verbal communication, receptive and expressive language, attention and stereotypical behavior.

Approximately one-third of treated children demonstrated moderate to much improvement. The incidence of adverse effects was low. This study suggests that FRAs may be important in ASD and that FRA-positive children with ASD may benefit from leucovorin calcium treatment.

Given these results, empirical treatment with leucovorin calcium may be a reasonable and non-invasive approach in FRA-positive children with ASD. Additional studies of folate receptor autoimmunity and leucovorin calcium treatment in children with ASD are warranted.

Cerebral folate deficiency (CFD) syndrome is a recently described neurometabolic disorder characterized by low concentrations of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5MTHF) in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), despite normal systemic folate levels. CFD is believed to be caused by the impaired transport of folates across the blood–brain barrier. The first reported cases of CFD manifested severe neurodevelopmental symptoms including spastic paraplegia, cerebellar ataxia, dyskinesia, seizures, acquired microcephaly and developmental regression, which occurred as early as 4 months of age.1, 2 Central visual disturbances (optic atrophy and blindness) and hearing loss occurred after age 3 and 6 years, respectively, in some cases.

__________________________________________________ ________________

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/folate-receptor-antibodies.22653/
Folate Receptor Antibodies
Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by adreno, Apr 4, 2013.

I found this recent study on folate receptor antibodies in autism interesting. I am wondering whether folate receptor antibodies could be a problem for us, too.
Mol Psychiatry.2013 Mar;18(3):369-81. doi: 10.1038/mp.2011.175. Epub 2012 Jan 10.
Cerebral folate receptor autoantibodies in autism spectrum disorder.

Frye RE, Sequeira JM, Quadros EV, James SJ, Rossignol DA.
Source

Department of Pediatrics, Arkansas Children's Hospital Research Institute, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72202,USA. REFrye@uams.edu
Abstract

Cerebral folate deficiency (CFD) syndrome is a neurodevelopmental disorder typically caused by folate receptor autoantibodies (FRAs) that interfere with folate transport across the blood-brain barrier. Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) and improvements in ASD symptoms with leucovorin (folinic acid) treatment have been reported in some children with CFD. In children with ASD, the prevalence of FRAs and the response to leucovorin in FRA-positive children has not been systematically investigated.

__________________________________________________ ___________

http://ultimateautismguide.com/2012/07/autism-research-cerebral-folate-receptor-autoantibodies-in-autism-spectrum-disorder/

Autism Research: Cerebral Folate Receptor Autoantibodies in Autism Spectrum Disorder

July 19, 2012 by Ultimate Autism Guide 4 Comments
Research for Leucovorin Calcium:

Leucovorin Calcium as an Autism Treatment Studied in Children with Autism and Folate Receptor Autoantibodies

Previous research has suggested that some individuals with autism may benefit from treatment with leucovorin calcium (a form of folic acid). Research has also shown that cerebral folate deficiency is often associated with folate receptor autoantibodies (FRAs). Researchers conducted a study to determine the prevalence of folate receptor autoantibodies in autism and the effect of treatment with leucovorin calcium in individuals with autism and FRAs. The findings were published in an article titled Cerebral Folate Receptor Autoantibodies in Autism Spectrum Disorder.

The study included 93 children with autism spectrum disorders. Several labs were taken including serum levels of folate receptor autoantibodies and cerebrospinal fluid 5-methyltetrahydrofolate levels. The impact of treatment with leucovorin calcium was measured through observations of attention, expressive and receptive language, stereotypical behavior, and verbal communication.

The results indicated that approximately 70 out of the 93 children with autism had folate receptor autoantibodies (FRAs). In 16 out of the 70 children found to have folate receptor autoantibodies, the levels of FRAs present showed a significant correlation to levels of 5-methyletrahydrofolate in the cerebrospinal fluid. The study found that all 16 of these children had low 5-methyltetrahydrofolate levels.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

More to come later, I have an appointment coming up :(

Flash
3rd July 2013, 21:11
correspond with what my biochemist phD was telling. Great really that regular medecine is starting to acknowledge the B vitamins deficiencies. My bet is not that it does not cross the blood brain barrier but that some other chemicals or hard metal are impairing the crossing, so chelation would be necessary on the long run. And this comes from intestinal impairments for eliminations of heavy metals. Autoimmune disease may also be caused by the adjuvant in vaccines for examples.

You understand Tesla that if you show that to those taking care of your son, they may follow suite because it is now in the official medecine realm. I would show them, not insisting, just proposing and look at their face.

Lifebringer
3rd July 2013, 23:02
Yeah, your B's keep your p's and q's straight. 12, 6, for the mind.

Mulder
4th July 2013, 07:44
We all know the incidence of autism is going up and up as time goes by. We should encourage pregnant women to have good diets and avoid bad habits like smoking. Also, in the diets of infants.

Flash
4th July 2013, 08:06
We all know the incidence of autism is going up and up as time goes by. We should encourage pregnant women to have good diets and avoid bad habits like smoking. Also, in the diets of infants.

Life bringer, really I have problems understanding your acronyms, a full sentence would help lol.

Mulder, you are right in your general assumption for all pregnancies, but believe me, I know countless women who were very health conscious who ended up with autistic children. I thing the problem is a compounded one, but definitely not only related to parent's health or habits only.

Paul
4th July 2013, 08:16
That one took me a couple of tries to parse too :).

I read it as:

Yeah, your Vitamin B's help keep your P's and Q's (slang for manners or language) straight. Take Vitamin B12 and B6 for the mind.

Flash
4th July 2013, 08:31
That one took me a couple of tries to parse too :).

I read it as:

Yeah, your Vitamin B's help keep your P's and Q's (slang for manners or language) straight. Take Vitamin B12 and B6 for the mind.

Thanks Paul, for me, as a non English speaker, B may be anything (I know about vitamins so I extrapolated), could as well be bees, p's and Q's, I was really lost, I took it litterally and tried to make senses of it, without success, and 12, 6, if my first assumption was good, were vitamins, but if it was not, then tough luck.

It was like reading French for you guys. LOL

sigma6
4th July 2013, 09:54
The sad part is all this dedication to the science of learning how to live in a contaminated environment created by the same corporations that are now going to reap billions more because of their "concern" for our health... disgusts me. Big Pharma is the next nightmare on the Horizon...

When they should be pointing at why are these abnormalities cropping up in millions of people. They have all the statistics to show that all these diseases are now exploding off the charts. And whoever has these statistics and is in a position to call the alarm is remaining silent. Screw blaming Hitler for his diabolical human studies, his handlers have now turned the entire planet into a Rat Lab.

That's where the focus should be... why are multi - million and billion dollar companies allowed to contaminate the environment? Just because they are invested in by the same multi-millionaires who run Congress? Are they complicit in "ignoring" the correlation between the "disease" epidemic and poisonous contamination by Industrial Military, Big Oil, and Big Pharma, et al. ?

Mandala
4th July 2013, 20:48
I believe p's and q's may have originally meant as in pints and quarts. People would say to others out drinking in English pubs, "Mind your P's and Q's", as in not to drink too much.

jagman
4th July 2013, 20:54
I really appreciate the info TWTCS, I've just skimmed the article but will read it later. I'm right in the middle of my BBQ:wave:

Tesla_WTC_Solution
9th July 2013, 16:01
Hello guys, I've been netless for a few days... Reading from a phone.

Anything autism related involving antibodies piques my interest, particularly after the Dover afb anthrax vaccine reaction...

Who watches the watchers, after all?

Why the vitamin antibodies ?

Someone will make money for sure.