PDA

View Full Version : False Friends

MargueriteBee
14th July 2013, 05:45
Awhile back a person I met at Eceti sought me out as a friend. So we visited several times and I liked her okay. Then I was gone for four months taking care of family. When I moved back we picked up visiting. Well two months ago she asked me if I had five thousand dollars to join a Women's Circle MLM.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2010/03/21/news/doc4ba59817163e7281050485.txt?viewmode=fullstory

I told her I would think about it but decided it wasn't for me.

Now I haven't heard from her or any mutual friends who are in the women's circle. As a matter of fact I am getting the cold shoulder. And I also feel like she was just befriending me to recruit me into the circle to make money off of me. To USE me.

Some of these folks think MLMs are the greatest thing but they are the ones that actually got 40k a few times but not everyone does, that promise seems to be a big fat lie. Knowing that would make me feel really bad to invite or recruit anyone so I just couldn't do that. Maybe I am just sensitive because I live in Scamtha land.

What say you? Anyone have any experience with MLMs?

The Arthen
14th July 2013, 06:05
MLM is a virus and disease plaguing alot of over-the-top money-eyed Singaporeans here on my end. My friend's parents who were involved in MLM, they put in alot of effort to reach the top level of the marketing, but in the end they realized they just didn't earn as much as those right at the top. It's basically a corporation with workers in it, without the building.

MargueriteBee
14th July 2013, 06:20
Yeah it is a virus. These are some really spiritual seeming people. What a disappointment.

marie kayali
14th July 2013, 06:26
There was one operating in here last year and I joined thats why I left here and didnt post for a while. Not sure what these people want but its not just money. I was approached by a regular user here to join a womens circle which I did, they werent who or what they said they were either and also got quite nasty when I questioned them on anything I thought was suspicious

Another1
14th July 2013, 06:37
I had a 'friend' call me out of the blue some months back. After months and months of silence, they called and said they wanted to show me something. Her and her husband came to pick me up and my first question was, "What kind of MLM is this gonna be?" They did not know what I meant, or played dumb.

I sat in a room with 20-30 converts and I get the red name tag so everyone knows a new mark is in the room.

They literally sang the company jingle as a group. It was like sitting in a church service with people nodding their heads, holding their hands up to the sky .... unreal and of course, the leader has his brand new silver BMW parked out back with personal license plate reading "U SAID NO"

The minimum buy-in was $50 - $99 per month depending upon your ability to post date a check to be at bottom of pyramid which is sending $50 per month to the leader for every mark his loyal people bring in.

After thanking them for the experience, I offered my 'friend' free promotion for the actual product she was selling if they would back off on the MLM angle a little. They never spoke to me again. This is part of the program, 'avoid negative people'

If it's that easy to lose a 'friend' they likely were not worth a lot to have around in the first place. IMO

ghostrider
14th July 2013, 06:41
pyramid schemes, pyramids, hmmmm ... schemes ...sounds to me like they were - oh we are so alike , give us money and we will keep being friends , think for yourself and we'll see you later we gotta go find the money somewhere ...IMO they were never your friend ... a true friend would have said something like - hey if you want in , since we're friends I'll pay your five grand, it's the least I can do, I want the pendulem to swing back to me with positive vibes , ya know you get back what you give out ...let me be a blessing to someone else ...let me give instead of TAKE ...

MargueriteBee
14th July 2013, 06:44
Besides I spent 15 years working in law enforcement, there is no way I would fall for a scam.

MargueriteBee
14th July 2013, 09:17
I wouldn't even want someone to pay for me.

pyramid schemes, pyramids, hmmmm ... schemes ...sounds to me like they were - oh we are so alike , give us money and we will keep being friends , think for yourself and we'll see you later we gotta go find the money somewhere ...IMO they were never your friend ... a true friend would have said something like - hey if you want in , since we're friends I'll pay your five grand, it's the least I can do, I want the pendulem to swing back to me with positive vibes , ya know you get back what you give out ...let me be a blessing to someone else ...let me give instead of TAKE ...

ghostrider
14th July 2013, 11:06
I wouldn't even want someone to pay for me.

same here, it's just the idea, giving and helping instead of oh by the way , here's our click , we just need your greenbacks...

*penumbra
14th July 2013, 13:22
False Faced Friend
By Kathlena F. Mailloux

Oh, how vulnerable was I
Who bared my soul to thee;
Who believed the presented lie,
That said you were a friend to me.
With new rules, the game you play;
A selfish vortex that consumed my soul;
"A friend in need, is easy prey"-
At another's expense you set your goal.
As friends, we were supposed to share,
Joyful experiences of our day.
It had dawned on me that you don't care,
What I do - or have to say.
The loss is yours, I will explain;
What was love and trust is now sorrow...
I gave from my heart and not for gain...
Would have stayed your friend past tomorrow.
Go on now, my false faced friend,
Leave me to heal the wound so sore...
Lesson learned, let the friendship end;
You won't hurt me any more.

Soda
14th July 2013, 13:42
I have a “friend” who joined a MLM scheme last year. She has now somewhat successfully recruited every single one of her friends, family member (including her mother and mother in-law), and is well on way to earning her "LEXUS" bonus. She has been trying to recruit me of course but I won't touch it. This particular MLM organization is exceptionally sophisticated and well-funded by the New Age movement. They are all one another's spiritual masters/apprentices and frankly it's all very nauseating to watch. I am happy she is temporarily enjoying "financial freedom" as they like to call it. She claims to be spiritually evolved but how can she be if she takes no issue using her family and friends to make money? When I told her I was not interested in the business opportunity, she sent me this email. I have deleted the company name and product references but you’ll get the idea.

“I want to share with you a referral incentive program BLANK and I are offering this month for our BLANK team. I know you are not interested in the business opportunity but I thought about you and another friend of mine (in Fl). BLANK really is special, I've witnessed so many lives changed over the last 6 months of doing this, my intent is who would benefit from this and God has put some incredible people in my path. We are close to earning our Lexus, hoping to this month, and are helping our team take their businesses to the next level. Here is our incentive: you host a party and/or share BLANK's product and business opportunity with people you know. I will provide you with tools to share (the product to sample, magazines, videos, brochures and of course my information for any questions). For every person you refer to me that comes on as a preferred customer, I will pay you $50. There are 2 Success Pack options for people wanting to partner with the company, one with 5 BLANKS and one with 12 BLANKS. For every person you refer who partners with the company, I will pay you $100-$200 depending on which pack. Let me know if you are at all interested and I can explain in more detail.”

I told her money was not a motivator for me and left it at that. She still makes an effort to be friendly with me, but not as much as before. I have faith that she’s a good person and doesn’t realize that she is drunk off of this company’s Kool-Aid.

Strat
14th July 2013, 14:15
She claims to be spiritually evolved

This is a sign I watch for: Beware of humans openly claiming spiritual enlightenment.

aranuk
14th July 2013, 16:05
what's the MLM acronym?

Stan

Flash
14th July 2013, 16:16
Yes Stan, I thought at first it was a kind of candie and did not understood the spirituality of it or friendship, then realised it had something to do with groups and being spiritual, then AH AH moment, it meant something like direct marketing levels (marketing level m....).

Please guys, be descriptive in your acronyms, even someone from UK did not catch, imagine the Frenchies.

I have quite a few experiences with MLM in which I did not get in, one that was supposed to be extra spiritual, I was chased as much if not more than Jehovah witnesses do when you show the least interest.

The last MLM had to do with diet products, from US, I must say their product were good and their approach not preachy, but based on health.

I had another one here in Montreal where the approach is business and health, but not as good a product as the precedent one (powders to lose weight, guess what, approved by Michelle Obama for emergencies and to lose weight, that killed it for me right there, lol, this is what they gone give us in Fema camps I thought). The product line is opening up in UK, if you want to be under me .....:p (Joking)

Another1
14th July 2013, 16:23
what's the MLM acronym?

Stan

MLM = Multi Level Marketing

Fancy word for Pyramid Scheme in my opinion. They get a person hyped up real good to sell all their friends and family some semi-bogus-over-hyped service/product while the iron is hot. Person who starts it and their first few friends make bank. People towards the end pretty much waste their money.

MargueriteBee
15th July 2013, 01:20
Around here MLM are nicknamed Screw Your Friends. I have to admit I am rather pissed and insulted and will unfriend them on FB.

Ellisa
15th July 2013, 01:40
I'm glad someone explained this! I still do not have any idea what it is, but I think I would steer clear. To me it sounds like gambling addiction, but I notice mentions of God, Lexus(?) and Pyramid Schemes, and have no notion how it would all fit together. Is it a religious group? I am unaware that anything like it exists in Australia and I really hope it doesn't!

Marguerite- I always enjoy reading your posts, and I hope you are no longer upset by the treatment of your so-called friends--- though on the other hand they may soon be grateful for your friendship if this strange 'club' thing fails!

MargueriteBee
15th July 2013, 04:10
“It sounds like a pyramid scheme,” said Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey, when told of the gifting circle in Chico. “Mathematically, after a while it becomes impossible. The founders of this usually get something, and the other people get stiffed.”

In California, he said, people who conduct an “endless chain” can be prosecuted for a misdemeanor or felony under Section 327 of the Penal Code, or Section 484, “your general theft statute.”

Hallye Jordan, press secretary for the California Attorney General’s Office, confirmed that while her office has gotten only a handful of complaints about gifting circles in California, they are illegal.

“They always sound good, but there’s no way they’re not going to collapse,” she said.

Believers counter that it’s not an endless chain for several reasons: because it’s not an investment and the women give the money with no promise of any returns; the exchange is between a giver and recipient (not the group); the IRS allows people to give away money; and there’s no product involved. Plus, there’s no fixed hierarchy. If you get your $40,000 (actually $35,000 net), you’re off the top, but you can choose to pay and re-enter at the appetizer level.

http://www.newsreview.com/chico/just-desserts/content?oid=8421

Carmody
16th July 2013, 13:36
People still fall for pyramid schemes?

I guess the real note to be taken, here, is that the underlying body or vehicle for the person, their avatar, still has a penchant for wanting to belong to a monkey group.

And when in that monkey group, a feeling of safety emerges. After the feeling of safety emerges, they feed themselves and their 'family' and 'offspring'. then, they desire to move to the top of the hierarchy, to be the leaders of the given chimp/baboon/monkey/human clan.

It is an ancient hindbrain chimp response pattern, imbedded in the avatar. Origins are in the seat of the programmed level of emotions.

You can't get by or past, what you don't understand is there, inside you, driving your thought and life patterns. First step is being aware, seconds step is a rising continual conscious effort to gently wrest control from this system of emotional and 'fundamental operative' origins, this system which is working and driving/directing the avatar... 24/7.

One look at MLM and similar pyramid schemes, and it should be very obvious that the monkey is still in the mostly unconscious human. Still in the drivers seat for the unaware individuals in society.

BrianEn
16th July 2013, 13:40
Awhile back a person I met at Eceti sought me out as a friend. So we visited several times and I liked her okay. Then I was gone for four months taking care of family. When I moved back we picked up visiting. Well two months ago she asked me if I had five thousand dollars to join a Women's Circle MLM.

http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2010/03/21/news/doc4ba59817163e7281050485.txt?viewmode=fullstory

I told her I would think about it but decided it wasn't for me.

Now I haven't heard from her or any mutual friends who are in the women's circle. As a matter of fact I am getting the cold shoulder. And I also feel like she was just befriending me to recruit me into the circle to make money off of me. To USE me.

Some of these folks think MLMs are the greatest thing but they are the ones that actually got 40k a few times but not everyone does, that promise seems to be a big fat lie. Knowing that would make me feel really bad to invite or recruit anyone so I just couldn't do that. Maybe I am just sensitive because I live in Scamtha land.

I have. Anytime anyone mentions MLM to me I run as fast as I can the other way. I find MLM's to be parasitic leeches on the teet of society. Well not that bad but I don't like them.

donk
16th July 2013, 13:54
When I hear MLM, I always think of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/92/Night_of_the_mary_kay_commandos.jpg

I think the real issue needs to be separated/discerned from "friendship", I wouldn't take it so personally, the (damaged) people getting sucked into these things are hooked on the greed program, or easily manipulated into by those "higher" than them (so tricked into believing their doing something worthwhile).

They need love (& education)

donk
16th July 2013, 14:06
I have. Anytime anyone mentions MLM to me I run as fast as I can the other way. I find MLM's to be parasitic leeches on the teet of society. Well not that bad but I don't like them.

They are that bad. And fiat (backed by nothing but empty promises) currency and the rest of our financial industry are good examples. At least these, with their semi-true labels are kinda honest.

They rely on darkness (ignorance) and blind faith (false hope based on incorrect beliefs)...but that's our lie-based society, which "values" this crap

northstar
16th July 2013, 14:29
This is a fantastic thread!
I'm naturally suspicious and I have a strong discernment meter so I haven't ever gotten sucked into any greed based MLM schemes but I have been asked many times. One of the interesting things I have discovered is that the so called "miracle products" being pushed by members are never as special or great as what they claim. You can always purchase similar quality products, usually at a cheaper price, by shopping around.

So these MLM schemes are all about using social groups and the powerful need of humans to feel like they belong, combined with pure greed (all of which has already been mentioned in the comments above).

I just shake my head when striving for a Lexux is offered in tandem with some sort of spiritual program. Yikes! What would Jesus have to say about that, I wonder?? :)

MargueriteBee
16th July 2013, 22:24
It is the spiritually part that gets me. I feel that MLMS are morally wrong so how spiritual is that?

Selene
16th July 2013, 22:53
It is the spiritually part that gets me. I feel that MLS are morally wrong so how spiritual is that?

It’s only a distorted “spirituality” used as a psyop marketing tactic. It has nothing to do with reality.

• You are “special”
• You are “chosen”
• You are an insider
• You are one of us
• There’s money in it – and it’s all yours!

Come wiz me to ze Cashbar…..

But people still fall for it. The ego is a wonderful thing.

Cheers,

Selene

Flash
16th July 2013, 23:37
Someone contacted me yesterday for another MLM, selling insurances, MLM style. The company doing it is very strong and sturdy, to me, it is just another way of selling, if you know that you are plain selling. Most people involved think that they are giving others a real service. They are on average good people, but they do want their Lexus too (well, here is money). They were trying to make my eyes sparkle by promising me a revenue I already had in the past - lol. Not a strong motivator.

Also, they were playing the spiritual card. It went flat with me when I started to ask what were the numbers, the learning curves, and all the stats salesman usually ask. Then I asked all the spiritual aspects they could not answer. lol

As Carmody said, my monkey brain was working however for two reasons: I need to work and make a bit of money for one (not the Queen's jobs re: other post of mine) and I am really fed up of working mostly alone, living mostly alone, being mostly alone, years in a row. (a teenage daughter does not count to share experiences, joy and mishappenings).

I would really like to share some work or other experiences (I had an assistant for a year, it was so great, we were talking and sharing as much on spirituality as doing work). So yes, MLM is attractive for those in need of monkey companionship - and monkey money. LOL

By the way, I met an Avalonian mother of one little boy last week in Montreal, we had a great time. Conversation were free, we did not think of not talking about conspiracy or spirituality, and we could talk children and arts as well. We are going out again for a girls evening this Friday, her husband is babysitting (if he can't I may offer my daughter services). This is what I want and what I need. So F the MLM. LOL

Soda
17th July 2013, 10:29
People still fall for pyramid schemes?

I guess the real note to be taken, here, is that the underlying body or vehicle for the person, their avatar, still has a penchant for wanting to belong to a monkey group.

And when in that monkey group, a feeling of safety emerges. After the feeling of safety emerges, they feed themselves and their 'family' and 'offspring'. then, they desire to move to the top of the hierarchy, to be the leaders of the given chimp/baboon/monkey/human clan.

It is an ancient hindbrain chimp response pattern, imbedded in the avatar. Origins are in the seat of the programmed level of emotions.

You can't get by or past, what you don't understand is there, inside you, driving your thought and life patterns. First step is being aware, seconds step is a rising continual conscious effort to gently wrest control from this system of emotional and 'fundamental operative' origins, this system which is working and driving/directing the avatar... 24/7.

One look at MLM and similar pyramid schemes, and it should be very obvious that the monkey is still in the mostly unconscious human. Still in the drivers seat for the unaware individuals in society.

Brilliant! Very well-said!

Nat_Lee
17th July 2013, 16:59
what's the MLM acronym?

Stan

MLM = Multi Level Marketing

Fancy word for Pyramid Scheme in my opinion. They get a person hyped up real good to sell all their friends and family some semi-bogus-over-hyped service/product while the iron is hot. Person who starts it and their first few friends make bank. People towards the end pretty much waste their money.

MLM is a virus and disease plaguing alot of over-the-top money-eyed Singaporeans here on my end. My friend's parents who were involved in MLM, they put in alot of effort to reach the top level of the marketing, but in the end they realized they just didn't earn as much as those right at the top. It's basically a corporation with workers in it, without the building.

With all my respect Another1, BrianEn and The Arthen :)
This is NOT all MLM (Multi Level Marketing) companies that are the same !
I'm in one of them and this one is working and a friend of mine, really spiritual, is in to and he makes money !!
He makes money because he works hard !!! Some people that are placed higher or lower in is group are making money and others not at all ...
It really depends on how you are working and this is a genuine and good company and they have wonderful products who helps people ...
I payed for my dad and he is feeling better and better ....
And also works for me !!!
I'm not here to give you a sales pitch anyways ....
I'm just giving you my opinion and it is positive in my experience....

I've been in other mlm companies in the past and it didin't work for me ....
This one is great and works and it is not a pyramid ....
Working for a big corporation is more a pyramid then this MLM (Multi Level Marketing) company that I work for.

so the point issssssssss ;)

Just don't put everything in the same basquet please :)

thank you all !

I'm truly sorry for you MargeritheBee that this person was using you just to get more money ! :( This is just SAD and not acceptable !!!
I wish you good friends around you and alot of LOVE !

Nathalie :)

Nat_Lee
17th July 2013, 22:22
Someone contacted me yesterday for another MLM, selling insurances, MLM style. The company doing it is very strong and sturdy, to me, it is just another way of selling, if you know that you are plain selling. Most people involved think that they are giving others a real service. They are on average good people, but they do want their Lexus too (well, here is money). They were trying to make my eyes sparkle by promising me a revenue I already had in the past - lol. Not a strong motivator.

Also, they were playing the spiritual card. It went flat with me when I started to ask what were the numbers, the learning curves, and all the stats salesman usually ask. Then I asked all the spiritual aspects they could not answer. lol

As Carmody said, my monkey brain was working however for two reasons: I need to work and make a bit of money for one (not the Queen's jobs re: other post of mine) and I am really fed up of working mostly alone, living mostly alone, being mostly alone, years in a row. (a teenage daughter does not count to share experiences, joy and mishappenings).

I would really like to share some work or other experiences (I had an assistant for a year, it was so great, we were talking and sharing as much on spirituality as doing work). So yes, MLM is attractive for those in need of monkey companionship - and monkey money. LOL

By the way, I met an Avalonian mother of one little boy last week in Montreal, we had a great time. Conversation were free, we did not think of not talking about conspiracy or spirituality, and we could talk children and arts as well. We are going out again for a girls evening this Friday, her husband is babysitting (if he can't I may offer my daughter services). This is what I want and what I need. So F the MLM. LOL

haaaaaaaa !
I really like your ending !
You are sooooooo dynamic ! :D
So funny because the same thing (the part you talk about meeting a new friend) happened to me last week ! ;) hihi...

Cooool !
Yeah !

A friendship is (in my book) an opportunity to exchange energies not an opportunity to exploit others !