PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Art Bell?

jagman
15th July 2013, 16:32
A few nights ago I was listening to C2C, a caller asked George Noory why
Art Bell never comes on the show? George replied "We reached out to Art
several times but unfortunately he just doesn't want to talk."

Last night was Ian Punnett last show and he announced John B Wells
would be taking his slot. I love listening to John but it would have been
great if Art would have come back. Does anyone know what happened
to Art?

Sidney
15th July 2013, 16:38
A few nights ago I was listening to C2C, a caller asked George Noory why
Art Bell never comes on the show? George replied "We reached out to Art
several times but unfortunately he just doesn't want to talk."

Last night was Ian Punnett last show and he announced John B Wells
would be taking his slot. I love listening to John but it would have been
great if Art would have come back. Does anyone know what happened
to Art?

This might answer your questions. Although there may be more to it.

http://whofortedblog.com/2013/07/12/is-the-father-of-paranormal-media-coming-out-of-retirement-art-bell-teases-fans-with-cryptic-message/

Is the Father of Paranormal Media Coming out of Retirement? Art Bell Teases Fans With Cryptic MessageBy Greg Newkirk on July 12, 2013@nuekerkTweet Pin It
art-bell

Is Art Bell, the undisputed king of paranormal radio broadcasting, returning to the airwaves? Oh dear god, I hope so.

Like plenty of paranormal investigators in their late 20′s and early 30′s, I can trace my interest in the paranormal back to three important things: The X-Files, The Time Life Mysteries series of books, and perhaps most importantly, the first time that I stumbled onto a hazy AM radio station broadcasting Coast to Coast at two in the morning. From the first time I heard Art Bell interview a panicked Area 51 employee, or a hunter who claimed to have killed two Bigfoots, or a man with a bottomless pit in his back yard, it was over; I was hooked on the fringe and the fortean, doomed to spend my nights in search of even stranger stories wherever they might hide.

Art BellWhen Art Bell retired from Coast to Coast in 2007, I was, for lack of a more meaningful word, devastated. Though he had taken numerous ”retirements” over the years for any number of personal reasons, Bell insisted that this one was for real.

Don’t get me wrong, George Noory is a wonderful host and a great replacement, but the Coast to Coast he heads up is arguably a very different program than the one Art left behind. Hearing Rosemary Ellen Guiley ramble on about this year’s latest buzzy cryptid every two weeks is always great fun, but it does make make me long for the days when each episode of C2C was as much a piece of performance art as it was a stop on a book tour. In fact, just last year Bell took his Facebook page to declare his distaste with the current state of C2C.

“I wish my name was no longer associated with what Coast has become!” he exclaimed.

A bit harsh, maybe, but like I said, it’s a much different show now. So where does that leave fans of the good old days of Harlot the Witch and Single Seven?

Well, if the cryptic update just posted to Art’s website means what I hope it does, those of us craving classic paranormal programming might be in for a much needed dose of good news.

On July 11th, a line of red, white, and blue dashes and dots went live at artbell.com, a string of characters that was accompanied by the unmistakable beeping of morse code. The code simply translates to one line:

WANNATAKEARIDE?

atbellscode

At this point, all anyone can do is speculate as to what exactly this message means, but for the last several months Art has been hinting at a return to radio, telling fans that he was in negotiations for a new show, and while he wouldn’t be making any promises, “the wind may be about to change direction!”

Could this mean that Art Bell has been picked up for a new terrestrial radio show? A podcast, perhaps? It’s anyone’s guess, but in a time when everyone and their mother hosts an internet radio show about the fringe, the voice of a true entertainer like Bell is sorely missed. Not just because he’s a veteran wistfully remembered as the man who practically invented the genre, but because to this day, no one has been able to top him.

Do I want to take a ride? If Art Bell is driving the bus, you better believe I’m buying a ticket.

Stay tuned!

giovonni
15th July 2013, 17:36
the latest scoop ...

http://www.wired.com/images/article/magazine/1705/st_hotseat_f.jpg

Note ~ just posted in the last week ...

what does your intuition tell you ... http://www.skype-emoticons.com/images/emoticon-00105-wink.gif

From ~ http://artbell.com/

jagman
15th July 2013, 18:10
Art was a true original, no doubt about that!
He was an artist of the airwaves that pulled you right in.
I hope Art returns. He inspired so many including myself.
He and his guests were about the only ones at that time
that would dare to have a serious conversation about the
unknown and paranormal.

toad
15th July 2013, 18:44
Ive fallen asleep many times to this mans voice, there's something comforting about the sound of this man.

ginnyk
15th July 2013, 18:45
As we drove "coast to coast" in our big rig, we shared many nights with Art as he kept the driver company. Many times, in the wee hours crossing some dark desert, Art's voice and subject matter could make it an interesting ride indeed!

Please keep us informed if he comes back. I do hope he does, and really wish him well.

Gin

sigma6
15th July 2013, 20:30
Wanna take a ride? My first impression was the Movie Contact...

Would love to see Bell take another show on the road...
George Noory can seem one dimensional, predictable, and his voice sounds like exaggerated sincerity sometimes the way he asks questions. It looks like they got too big and now it's become the object of much commercial and financial interest... diluted, I'll bet they filter some of the more radical things that come across their plate these days...

Delight
15th July 2013, 21:01
I used to drive home 2 hours after working until midnight. At that time, the show from the night before was on first so I had Art Bell all the way.

I was listening to Art Bell on the way home before cell phones. One early AM I was stranded halfway home. I was really OK that maybe I'd be stuck because I'd hear Art Bell until 4 AM. My plan was to walk about a mile at day break and call for help. It happened that someone stopped and then went to call my husband who came to get me. My husband came before Art bell stopped broadcasting and my husband heard about Whitley Strieber's book Communion. I think it was an important broadcast for my husband. Later in the grocery check out, he saw the book and bought it.

That is kind of the way that Art Bell's program effected lots of us I think?
Art Bell and that program as he conducted it on Coast to Coast did a lot for me. I hope he is happy and satisfied with life but if he wants to come back to broadcast: WONDERFUL. Anyway, THANKS ART.

jimmer
16th July 2013, 16:22
https://twitter.com/ArtBell51