PDA

View Full Version : Texting=my pet peeve

BrianEn
18th July 2013, 19:48
I don't have a cell so I don't text. But the art of taliking on the phone is gone it's all texting. I can see quick messages of meet you at or something like that. What happened to making good old fashioned phone calls. I like hearing voices. Just a quick thought and if you prefer text that's a personal choice no meaning to hassle anyone here.

BrianEn
18th July 2013, 19:53
My other pet peeve is my typing.

TargeT
18th July 2013, 19:55
it seems like a more courteous way of communicating, the recipient can respond when they want and take their time to respond as they want (not that it's currently being used that way, but it can be...) of course as I see teenagers use them (mine included) it’s as you say, a conversation replacement.

Calling someone and expecting them to drop everything and answer (as some people do) is my pet peeve ;) it just seems very rude, especially in my situation where I'm often in meetings and cannot be disturbed, I have taken to always having my phone on silent, if I feel it vibrate I might answer, I might not, depends on the situation at the time of the call.

I think texting is an interesting move for person to person communication (and conveying a message via text (ie words, not text message necessarily) is one of the worst ways of communicating we have at our disposal, no inflection or body language is included, so much is lost)

Kano
18th July 2013, 20:04
I always looked at the phone as being there for me to make calls, not receive them necessarily. I refuse to be a slave to my phone like most of the people I see.

I read an interesting article a while back that made the argument that humans are actually de-evolving due to our lack of personal interaction via technology (email, text, etc). If I can find it, I'll repost it here.

Daft Ada
18th July 2013, 20:16
Well Kano I feel exactly the same as you and I only use my phone to make calls and as a convenience for me, I don't give my number to anyone and if anyone demands a number I give them the land line and tell them I haven't got a mobile. I'm afraid I regard it as nothing but a means of being able to get hold of you 24/7 and I won't subscribe to that.

Kano
18th July 2013, 20:22
Daft,

Very wise. I won't subscribe to it either.

BrianEn
18th July 2013, 20:32
My peeve is directed more at the replacment of the art of conversation. I had a cell and told people I didn't want to have answer 500 texts and would phone people after 5 texts. Sitting and typing wasn't enjoyable to me at all. I have to on forums but skype has voice capqabilities so I prefer that on there. Text carries no inflextions and don't like haqving to use similies to express what I'm feeling. Just a personal choice on my end and I'd rather sit face to face than talk on the phone.

DevilPigeon
18th July 2013, 20:34
I've a massive phobia of talking on the phone, I get all panicky just at the thought of it. Texting relieves that communication somewhat, but to be honest I don't even do that as much as I used to either. I occasionally put the odd post on Twitter, even rarely still I might put something on dreaded Facebook.

BrianEn
18th July 2013, 20:41
We all have our personal tastes. The tech is allowing us to access all different forms of communicating. We can choose what like. Like I said this thread isn't meant to get down on anyone. Plus it's reminding me to be a little more broad minded about things. The old ways aren't always the better ways.

Vitalux
18th July 2013, 20:42
What happened to making good old fashioned phone calls.

Things change always.

Like standing on the shore of a river and watching the water go by, not too much you can do to change the nature of the Universe.

:wizard:

BrianEn
18th July 2013, 20:45
I love standing by the river watching the water go by. That's actually one of my favorite things.

Plus phoning relavitley new tech. We used to send mail before that.

Justintime
18th July 2013, 20:48
I wish I was in middle school nowadays, kind of. I remember what a relationship was like with my first few,"girlfriends" ugh. Spending literally, hours on the phone talking about," my day," it was mind numbing. And then in high school the art of the "game" so to speak. When do I call, how often is too often, what if she doesn't call me back, desperate messages on her answering machine and oh not to,mention the parents picking up and listen in on my calls. Yikes.

Yeah, a text message every now and then seems much easier. Talking can be over rated sometimes too.

Earth Angel
18th July 2013, 20:54
texting is becoming like a disease, people don't even realize they are being rude......you are in the middle of talking and they stop and start reading a text.....i am guilty of this myself....I think it was a deliberate plan to have us not communicate , emails, and texting have taken over the phone call.....the only person i talk to regularly on the phone is my mother (she cant text)

and of course there is a huge margin for error in texting as in if you don't LOL your way through the whole message you can be completely misunderstood.......I also don't like the idea that everyone has an answering machine/voice mail now....there is no such thing as just not being reachable. My 23 year old has dumped her facebook and is now talking about getting rid of her cell phone.....so far she is just making more of an effort to use it as a phone (unhealthy) than for texting.....she says people need to remember what it was like when you called someone and they were out, that was it....now they leave a message, email you and text you.....like you don't have any rights to be UNAVAILABLE anymore.

soleil
18th July 2013, 20:59
i'm not a big phone talker, and i text even less. i have a pay as you go and probably make <5-10 calls per month on it.
although at work, i'm on the phone speaking to 40+ people per day. i have great phone and interpersonal skills. its just that i dont like to be on the phone during my personal time. :D

its impossible to get others to actually make an effort. i feel that everyone else just uses the fact that if a person is 'not available' on the phone/ via text or via fb, then that person doesnt deserve the interaction (minimal at that), and then never actually make an effort to see eachother in person. those are the people i have a problem with.:shocked::hand:

Ernie Nemeth
18th July 2013, 21:19
I either text with my daughter or we don't communicate.

Today I got the strangest, most insulting communication of all. A customer phoned me - with a recorded message. On principal, I did not listen to the message - which could cost me $4000. I've already told her I do not answer restricted phone calls - if you can't show your number, I won't answer. For her I made an exception, I answer her restricted number. But call me and not be on the other end, just a recorded message, that's going too far. Hope she calls me back in person. I'll give her a call maybe next week if I do not hear from her.

BrianEn
18th July 2013, 21:26
My number is automatically blocked but with many people on my speed dial I have the code to unblock as pqart of their number so they always see my name when I phone and if they can't take the call they can phone bavck and if it's urgent I'll leave a message

Arpheus
18th July 2013, 22:08
Been 7 years without a cell phone now and let me tell you it feels great,and very human like,you guys should try it sometimes,every time i see people glued to their phones completely oblivious about their surroundings it sends me a sad reminder about the current state of hypnosis and illusion that most people live in it,especially the teenagers its like i live in the real matrix and it doesnt feel good or right,of course thats my personal view/opinion,but i am not a fan of those devices at all.

Ernie Nemeth
18th July 2013, 22:47
Hey Brian,
Thanks for the reminder, I texted my customer (it is something I rarely automatically think of doing). She texted me back. I got the job, gotta be there at 7:30 tomorrow, yeah!

BrianEn
18th July 2013, 23:09
Cool...............

Carolin
19th July 2013, 00:16
I HATE the phone, guess I'm scarred from my husband's ex playing head games with hang-ups and numberous calls a day. Those calls have since stopped but my hatred for the phone remains. Thanks to call display I rarely pick up the phone at home and I refuse to answer any 800/888 numbers or long distance that I don't recognize. My favourite ways to communicate are bbm, text, facebook and lastly email. They haven't replaced my interaction in person but allow me to stay in contact with friends and family even more. Trying to get my 78 year old Mom on facebook so she knows what's going on with everyone.

My pet peeve is people talking on their cell phones super loud out in public.......so text away people........text away.

gripreaper
19th July 2013, 00:28
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/150476_705761389453317_345110365_n.jpg

DeDukshyn
19th July 2013, 00:36
What's this thread about again? Sorry ... I was too busy texting ... actually, never mind even ... I'm too busy texting ...

In reality I don't even have a mobile ;) I'm willing to rudely yell at and put down or punch any idiot who needs it for excessive texting though ... for hire ;)

I skipped through this thread .. sorry if this was posted already ... ;) "Jesus is trending!!"

xSSDeesUUsU

Ernie Nemeth
19th July 2013, 00:37
You know what my pet peeve is? Passwords. Just cant remember them. Found a good system but even that is not 100% because some sites don't allow special characters...

Vangelo
19th July 2013, 00:54
Daft and Kano - I'v emade the same decisions as you i.e. I will not be a slave to the phone and emails and texts and everything else that interrupts my attention when I am giving it to someone else (i.e. they are standing in front of me or eating a meal with me, etc.). Also, there is now an expectation at work that you are available 24/7 - this is not healthy. But the thing that drives me balistic is people who text when they drive. I never, ever thought that anything could be worse than putting on makeup while driving but texting beats that hands down. Their decision to text puts me and others at real risk.

Regards,
Vangelo

ThePythonicCow
19th July 2013, 01:41
You know what my pet peeve is? Passwords. Just cant remember them. Found a good system but even that is not 100% because some sites don't allow special characters...

I recommend https://lastpass.com/ or http://passwordmaker.org/. One can make site-specific passwords, for sites that demand (or prohibit) special characters or have other weird password constraints.

ghostrider
19th July 2013, 02:08
a phone was there to make a call to set up a meeting face to face, now we don't meet, we don't even talk , we text or e-mail ... pretty soon we will just send a color, green on my way, blue staying home, red at the hospital, black and white I'm driving to meet you , yellow I'm almost there , Gold I'm at the bank , purple I'm drunk enter at your own risk ...lol look at what the cell phone killed, cameras, video cameras, ipods, walkmans, tom toms, pagers, huh ... the same little gadget captain Kirk used to talk to the bridge, flip -chirpty chirpty Kirk to enterprise, beam me up, it was science fiction , now science reality , my friends laughed when I said one day we will flip a device and talk just like Kirk ...who's laughing now ??? and wal-mart has the swoosh bridge doors that open by themselves, huh technology ...

Seikou-Kishi
19th July 2013, 02:16
When telephones were first invented, everybody said it would kill the art of letter-writing. They were probably right, too.

ghostrider
19th July 2013, 02:17
I HATE the phone, guess I'm scarred from my husband's ex playing head games with hang-ups and numberous calls a day. Those calls have since stopped but my hatred for the phone remains. Thanks to call display I rarely pick up the phone at home and I refuse to answer any 800/888 numbers or long distance that I don't recognize. My favourite ways to communicate are bbm, text, facebook and lastly email. They haven't replaced my interaction in person but allow me to stay in contact with friends and family even more. Trying to get my 78 year old Mom on facebook so she knows what's going on with everyone.

My pet peeve is people talking on their cell phones super loud out in public.......so text away people........text away.

Ultra pet peeve, talking on the phone at the quickstop while the cashier is counting back dollars to your hand, talk about rude, we dont want to hear your drama, and Megan could short change you and you don't even pay attention, what wrong with let me call you back I need to get some gas ...

TargeT
19th July 2013, 02:26

I work in information security..

We have quasi recently (last few years) moved away from using the term "password" as a word is easy to crack, special characters or no. We now use the term "Pass-phrase" make a short sentence that is meaningful to you for example:

I own a truck I like a lot & drive when ever i can etc...

My passphrase was MyR@ptorisawe5om3! (My Raptor is awesome!) I work with (on average) 15-20 passwords and this seems to work pretty well, for the work stuff I make a short phrase about what the password is for; I've run L0phtCrack against my pass phrases (and a few other specialized tools) and they come up as very difficult to crack (nothing but a supercomputer could do it in a reasonable time frame).

Since I work Infosec I add in the Two capitals, two special characters and two numbers (per regulation) you could just toss in a capital and maybe 1 special character and you'll obtain extremely hard to break passphrases that are easy to remember.

mosquito
19th July 2013, 04:37

Make sure you avoid China then !!! Chinese people are largely unable to talk to one another without shouting, add a bloody cell phone into the mix and it's annoying, to put it mildly.

I avoided mobiles for year, it was always obvioue to me that the game was to get everyone available 100% of the time, and could never understand why everyone fell for it ( you mean, you WANT your boss to phone you when you are relaxing on the beach ???). I only succumbed after taking on a mobile lifestyle - no home, as few possesions as possible, no land line. Initially, I hated txts, as they were so cumbersome, but I gradually came around to them. People can reply when they like, and it is easy to notify people of something without having to get involved in long converstaions. I don't like talking on a mobile, it maks me feel ill.

I flatly refuse to use that idiotic txt language though. I write in proper English, capitals and punctuation included ! It's easy on the phone I have now though (Samsung Wave), as is txting in Chinese. What has always annoyed me is seeing people walking along the street txting or staring at their phones, oblivious to what's going on around them. And in China, believe it or not, people txt while DRIVING, or even worse - WHILE RIDING A MOTORBIKE, I'm not joking.

MargueriteBee
19th July 2013, 05:07
I am so far out from town I have no cell service but I do answer and make texts when I go into town. I hate answering the phone after doing so on the job for 30 years. I am much better in person.

lookbeyond
19th July 2013, 07:35
I like texting when i dont feel like dealing with the gals in the office..

Maunagarjana
19th July 2013, 07:45
I'm with you. I hate texting. Not necessarily other people doing it, just people expecting me to do it on a phone. If it's a short exchange of information, like a quick question, an address, a location at which to meet up at, or a check on when I'm arriving, that's okay. But I don't want to have text conversations on a phone. That's why I have a phone. So I can make phone calls. I think the rule of "call them after five texts" is a good one for certain situations. I do prefer to have conversations in live voice exchanges. But I don't even like having conversations on cell phones either. It gives me a headache, unless I have my headphone plugged in. Seriously, I must be sensitive to those cell phone signals. I have to say I miss landlines, which I hardly ever use any more. I actually bought my very first cell phone a few years ago. I'm sure I had to be one of the last hold-outs in my generation.

ThePythonicCow
19th July 2013, 11:10
My passphrase was MyR@ptorisawe5om3! (My Raptor is awesome!) I work with (on average) 15-20 passwords and this seems to work pretty well, for the work stuff I make a short phrase about what the password is for; I've run L0phtCrack against my pass phrases (and a few other specialized tools) and they come up as very difficult to crack (nothing but a supercomputer could do it in a reasonable time frame).
For more technical details on how to make secure passwords, see an article I just posted: Computer password security: How the pros hack passwords. (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?61328-Computer-password-security-How-the-pros-hack-passwords.)

BrianEn
19th July 2013, 11:46
Great responses from everyone. We're all quite different in our preferences. I got to open my mind a lot on the matter. It really does seem that the younger you are the more likely to accept texting as a form of communication. My main beef with it is the time I spent typing up texts when I could convey my thoughts quicker than keying in responses. Typing in at a full keyboard is challenge enough for me. Some days I can't type to save my own life. Now I use a laptop and the keyboard is different that screwed me up too even I've been using it for eighteen months. Plus the nerve damage in my left arm didn't help.

AnnOther
19th July 2013, 12:41
We all have our personal tastes. The tech is allowing us to access all different forms of communicating. We can choose what like. Like I said this thread isn't meant to get down on anyone. Plus it's reminding me to be a little more broad minded about things. The old ways aren't always the better ways.

I work the night shift, and texting has allowed people who live in the sun to be able to communicate with me without waking me up.
Once in a blue moon, a text arrives when I'm awake, or vise versa, and then we know we can call and communicate by voice.

the texting 'beep' is nowhere near as invasive as a telephone ring -- so I am able to sleep thru it, or answer if I'm awake.

It is a godsend.

p.s. I'll be 54 in August -- nice to know that I'm considered a young'un for relying on texting.

BrianEn
19th July 2013, 14:19
It just struck me that I send messages on facebook. Just quick blurbs that are easy to read no reply nessesary. Just quick fyi's that would make annoying phonecalls.

Like I text a friend for them to know I walked that day as per doc's orders. Short enough for a text.

gripreaper
22nd July 2013, 04:59
You know they say the PC is now obsolete, but I prefer my PC in the comfort of my office with all my basic needs around me, far away from the toxic effects of wireless technology (see photo)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/23/article-2221821-15A2DA7C000005DC-874_966x713.jpg

I love my PC, as you can see from the picture of my office. It amazes me how people don't recognize the toxic effects of wireless! I just stay away from wireless toxicity so I should live a long life! :)

ThePythonicCow
19th August 2014, 08:34
I recommend https://lastpass.com/ or http://passwordmaker.org/. One can make site-specific passwords, for sites that demand (or prohibit) special characters or have other weird password constraints.
That was a year ago - for my latest password manager recommendations, see this post (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?61328-Computer-password-security-How-the-pros-hack-passwords.&p=866245&viewfull=1#post866245).