PDA

View Full Version : Kimberley has a big favor to ask of Avalon members and non members...Thank you for your help!

Kimberley
23rd July 2013, 23:11
I have had a relationship with a community in Jamaica since 1999. I have taken on this community as a philanthropic personal empowerment endeavor. I could write for hours about my experience with the people of Jamaica, however I want to keep this short.

I met Jamari Reid and his family when he was 9 years old. He is now 22 years old. Several years ago Jamari told me he was writing songs and asked if I had any advice for him (He of course knowing of my radio experience since 1977).

I advised him to keep his lyrics clean and ultimately uplifting. He listened to me. I consider my relationship with Jamari and several other young men and women in Jamaica as being a mentor. Anyway...

So the short story is:

I have a big favor to ask of Avalon members and non members...

....would you please watch this video and then like it if you have a youtube account? If you do have a youtube account plz click on the link to go to youtube page so you can like the video.

I know everyone is not going to "like" this Jamaican dance hall music and many will not even understand the lyrics...however I am wanting to get his view count and like count up to help him with his budding career ...and whether you like the music or can understand the lyrics I feel most are able to recognize his talent as a singer and song writer. He is a an excellent dancer also, however that talent is not used in this video.

Jamari - M.O.N.E.WHY

kOB4Xk3I5F0

And for those of you that might be interested in more of the story here goes (again keeping this brief):

As I already said I have been mentoring Jamari since he was 9 years old (he is 22 now).

When I heard this song for the first time 2 1/2 years ago I got chills down my spine ... if I had 10 dollars for every song I have listened to over the years from people asking my opinion I would be a much richer women today... (In my first radio job I was promoted to music director at age 20 and my first program director job was in 1984).

I have always had a good ear for hit music so when I finally heard Jamari's music I was blown away and have been assisting him ever since.

In Jamaica they speak english and many speak very eloquent British english however they also all have a dialect called patwah. It is english but shortened.

I can understand it very well...I can speak it a little. It was funny when after my first few years of spending time in Jamaica and they would move out of "good english" to patwah, thinking I was not understanding, to the look on their faces when they realized I was understanding was very fun...

The audio of the song was produced on a very small budget in Jamaica 2 years ago. Finally the money showed up to get the video produced with a great video producer (link to producers bio http://vimeo.com/jaywillfilms )

This song is getting airplay in Jamaica and his song is getting rave reviews in Jamaica. He is just starting off. He has written quite a few songs and has more than an albums worth and 2 or 3 songs written after this one that are even better than this one.

The vision is for international airplay.

He produced the audio track of this song before I started working with him on his music a few years ago. The latest advice to him has been to articulate better and subsequent songs do just that.

Here is an article about Jamari:

http://jamaica-star.com/thestar/20130717/ent/ent7.html

As you are probably aware, Jamaica is a third world country and poverty is rampant...Jamari lives in Falmouth Jamaica in a very small 3 room cinder block row home with his grand mother, mother, and a handicapped uncle. Work is hard to find for them all and there have been many times that they do not have money for food...

I am expecting that will all change now that Jamari is on his way.

Thank you for your help in promoting a talented young artist.

Much love, peace, and fun to us all!! :grouphug:

Flash
23rd July 2013, 23:37
you will have to re ask again in september, it is summer vacations for most Avalonians I bet. But this is a good idea, when time is ripe, I may ask the same for someone else.

His song is nice, my daughter has a channel, so she is the one who "liked" it, he will have a french canadian like in there (I made her refer to her song too so that he listens to it)

Kimberley
23rd July 2013, 23:49
Flash is this your daughters song?

fv2QZGlugtI

Lets all listen and like this also...I know a bit of french but not enough to understand the lyrics...however I can hear the voice and the music and I like it a lot!!!

thank you! :hug:

you will have to re ask again in september, it is summer vacations for most Avalonians I bet. But this is a good idea, when time is ripe, I may ask the same for someone else.

His song is nice, my daughter has a channel, so she is the one who "liked" it, he will have a french canadian like in there (I made her refer to her song too so that he listens to it)

Flash
23rd July 2013, 23:52
yes she is my daughter and it is her song, she also compose in English and sing in English. This was done for a competition where she lost. She is only 16, so time may tell better, who knows.

Here my bad translation of the lyrics of her song:

We finally escaped
From humanity’s damages,
We much live and profit in the present
For eternity

If it were only to die
I prefer to run towards you
Because we finally escaped
The pain we left it out

You threw a nice spell on me
So I will remain in your arms
I just have to see you
To scream Hourra

We finally escaped
From humanitIes’s drama
We discover all the mysteries
That we had ignored
The thousands of meters we run
Just us two
I see in your eyes
That we finally escaped
The war we have left out

We follow our path
On the road of hope
Each day I am with you
Becomes a little less dark

At the end your master is here
Happiness is in front of you
We follow on our path
To good we can believe

So I will stay in your arms

We finally escaped
From humanity’s drama
That we had ignored
Just us two
I see in your eyes
That we finally escaped
The war we have left out

We finally escaped…….

Soulboy
24th July 2013, 00:01
this would be a whole lot better if he stopped using auto-tune and the vocoder effects or whatever that is on his voice, but not a bad effort at all. Certainly beats the utter rubbish that passes off as music and dominates the charts these days

Kimberley
24th July 2013, 00:13
this would be a whole lot better if he stopped using auto-tune and the vocoder effects or whatever that is on his voice, but not a bad effort at all. Certainly beats the utter rubbish that passes off as music and dominates the charts these days

Like I said the audio was done on a VERY low budget...we are trying to find a talented producer and want to add real instrumentation...I hear you Soulboy and you are correct...however he/we are off to a very good start IMHO... :-)

Flash
24th July 2013, 00:31
Just posted the lyrics of my daughter's song, as you suggested to me in pm Kimberly. Thinking of it, I will do it on her channel too. Thanks

Kindling
24th July 2013, 00:32
Done Kimberly! Talented guy. Love his story and I'm hoping things turn around for him and his family. I visited Jamaica once and was pretty disturbed by the poverty. And I've spent time in Mexico so I thought I was used to some of those conditions. It seemed worse in Jamaica :(. I liked your daughter's vid too Flash!!

norman
24th July 2013, 00:38
He's got the recent pop formula sussed and he's not sneaky about the music biz being an alternative to robbing a bank.

M - O - N - E - WHY is quite an easy hook for easy listeners. The audio and arrangement could stand being more dynamic but the 'formula' is getting to the end of it's service life. I'm not anti Autotune but I wonder how he trained himself to sing. Did he self teach or did he have a trainer? That style of singing is getting very saturated and signifies a follower/karaoke kind of thing.

My over all impression is that he's saying " is there room for one more pop star around here?" rather than "move over pop stars, I'm moving in".

I hope my honest opinion doesn't offend anyone. I know I appreciate good honest feedback when I stick my neck out.

sandy
24th July 2013, 00:41
Done deal Ladies, our youth can use all the support they can get................thanks for sharing their talent :)

Kimberley
24th July 2013, 01:04
Norman I say the same thing to you that I said to soul boy...the instrumentation was the most inexpensive first route...and I suggest that you be aware that Jamari was born in Jamaica and was never off the island until 2 years ago when I supported him to come to the USA for 2 weeks.

We have been searching for an affordable producer and want to add real instrumentation..with the obstacles we have I feel we are off to a good start!

Yes he did self teach.

And Norman (and all) your comments are very appreciated!! Thank you! Much love!

GCS1103
24th July 2013, 01:21
He's got a Sean Kingston type of beat and voice. I like it a lot.

I can give you a little advice based on my cousin's band, Madison Rising. A new record label, Purple Eagle Entertainment, put the band together with a fair amount of financial backing. They haven't stopped working and touring around the country and the band members are still not making much money (it all goes to the label). They got 3.5 million hits on Youtube with their cover of The Star Spangled Banner, but they're still struggling. The point is your friend should think about an agent and contacting a label that promotes his type of music. I've seen first hand that without a promoter and label it's almost impossible to launch a career in the music field.

I'll definitely "like" the video. Thanks for posting it!

chancy
24th July 2013, 02:29
yes she is my daughter and it is her song, she also compose in English and sing in English. This was done for a competition where she lost. She is only 16, so time may tell better, who knows.

Here my bad translation of the lyrics of her song:

We finally escaped
From humanity’s damages,
We much live and profit in the present
For eternity

If it were only to die
I prefer to run towards you
Because we finally escaped
The pain we left it out

So I will remain in your arms
I just have to see you
To scream Hourra

We finally escaped
From humanitIes’s drama
That we had ignored
Just us two
I see in your eyes
That we finally escaped
The war we have left out

We follow our path
On the road of hope
Each day I am with you
Becomes a little less dark

At the end your master is here
Happiness is in front of you
We follow on our path
To good we can believe

So I will stay in your arms

We finally escaped
From humanity’s drama
That we had ignored
Just us two
I see in your eyes
That we finally escaped
The war we have left out

We finally escaped…….

Hello Everyone: I liked the video! Celine Dion found out the hard way and this is going to sound prejudiced but the only way you will make it in the music business in North America is write, sing and perform in English and then it will be a struggle.
Look at where Celine Dion is now. It helped to be singing and performing in English.

Performing in Quebec just wasn't the answer. Celine was unheard of for the first many years of her career.

Good luck and let's hear an english performance!

chancy

Flash
24th July 2013, 03:26
I do not know if you are from quebec Chancy, but I can tell you that my daughter writes more and sing more in English than in French. She wrote that song for her French boyfriend of the time and mostly because she was going to a French competition where we knew they were biaised in their choice of competitors (wanting French songs for the French television).

So the problems is not there, the problem is with the industry as such. Very few are making it on the English market, very few, and when they do, it is mostly once they got so corrupted that they became slaves to the industry, re Jackson, Gaga, Menage, name it. Dion being an exception because she was managed by her husband and that he cares for her - well, he said once that she was better than a full flush, but whatever.

On the French market, many Quebec artists made it because we are liked in France (Quebec market is really too small to survive on). The market is not as big, but certainly powerful enough to make a very nice career.

However, managers won't cover both markets, it is either in French or in ENglish.

Anyhow, I am not sure at all that my daughter has enough potential to make it in this industry - and she would be hard to corrupt in my idea, therefore not appealing for the industry. So the situation may never arise where she has to decide, who knows.

She tells me that all she wants is make it at the level of Evanescence, a restricted world audience that love this kind of music.

The next songs will be taped in English.

Thanks for your comments though, they are true and are welcome.

Kimberley
24th July 2013, 14:04
Here is another french song that Flash's daughter has posted on youtube...very nice also :dance3:

Quelqu'un m'a dit - par Zaréma (chanson de Carla Bruni) Someone told me - by Zarema (song Carla Bruni)

OGjhg6Pw5gU

Flash
24th July 2013, 14:27
thank you kimberly

As a professional standing, your protege makes it much better than mine. But she is cute isn't she?

Everyone, I promised, I did not push Kimberly to put my daughter on, I just used my daughter's youtube account to thank her protege, since I have none myself, and wanted my daughter to exchange with Kimberly's protege, between musicians (my daughter is always thrill to do so), in between countries, so I put on the comments in youtube where to look at her music.

Please, tell Jamari to look at it Kimberly, telling him she is only 16 so that he won't expect an exchange to his age level. Thanks.

Star Mariner
24th July 2013, 15:56
The music industry is currently rife with pushing bad energies and low vibrations - this is what I pick up when I listen to this type of stuff on the radio whenever I am unfortunate enough to tune into one of these stations running mainstream chart music. I can't stand it! lol. But this I like! It is free of all that, it is pure and it is positive, so gets a *like* from me :)

So thank you Kimberly, and all the very best to you and Jamari with developing his career (and let us hope that the 'industry' doesn't hijack and undermine it like they do with so many artists).

Kimberley
24th July 2013, 16:01
Flash youtube was my first social network I have been posting there since the end of 2007 (even though I do not post often) . I only joined here in the beginning of 2011.

So I read comments on youtube all the time. You are humble Flash and yes Flash did not ask me to post her daughters music that was my decision (and a good one).

Yes your daughter is lovely inside and out! :hug:

Thank you to everyone that has listened and liked!!! :hug:

soleil
24th July 2013, 16:16
hey kim....synchronicity may be happening right now. my fiance is a music producer and i just recently told him to start getting into music again. he actually quite likes Jamaican dance hall, as we are big fans of major lazer. actually we are thinking about eloping in jamaica perhaps this year or next as we have a resort in mind already. :)

if your friend would like a connection to help him do his music and likely help just for fun and to pass it on. let me know if your friend is interested in music help, we are here. :)

Kimberley
25th July 2013, 15:11
I forgot about this article about Jamari that was posted in June...

Jamari shoots M.O.N.E.WHY video in Montego Bay
http://www.one876entertainment.com/news/jamarie-shoots-m-o-n-e-why-video-in-falmouth.html

I will try to post a couple more of his songs that I like even better than this one when I can.

Thank you for all the listens and likes from members and non members!! When I first posted this there were a little over 200 views and as of now the view count is up to over 900 thanks to you all. :grouphug:

Kimberley
26th July 2013, 17:33
WOW Thank you so very much for your time and help!!!! The view count went from 909 yesterday to 3028 views at this moment....That is fabulous!

:grouphug:

Kimberley
27th July 2013, 17:11
For those of you that like reggae/ dance hall music this link will take you to 5 more of Jamari's songs.

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_10768110

He was calling his act Sliva for a while until I recommended Jamari was much better than sliva...

I will post a couple newer songs that are my favorites when I can figure out how to best post them...they are mp3 files