PDA

View Full Version : Hamburger chef Jamie Oliver has just won a battle against McDonald’s

Vitalux
3rd August 2013, 18:15
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/stuarburstphotography/533901_394036464041484_411300812_n_zps532a70e3.jpg (http://s1023.photobucket.com/user/stuarburstphotography/media/533901_394036464041484_411300812_n_zps532a70e3.jpg .html)

Hamburger chef Jamie Oliver has just won a battle against one of the largest fast food chains in the world. After Oliver showed how McDonald’s hamburgers are made, the franchise announced it will change its recipe.

According to Oliver, the fatty parts of beef are “washed” in ammonium hydroxide and used in the filling of the burger. Before this process, according to the presenter, the food is deemed unfit for human consumption.

According to the chef and presenter, Jamie Oliver, who has undertaken a war against the fast food industry: “Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold in the cheapest way for dogs, and after this process, is being given to human beings.”

Besides the low quality of the meat, the ammonium hydroxide is harmful to health. Oliver calls it “the pink slime process.”

“Why would any sensible human being put meat filled with ammonia in the mouths of their children?” asked the chef, who wages a war against the fast food industry.

In one of his initiatives, Oliver demonstrates to children how nuggets are made. After selecting the best parts of the chicken, the remains (fat, skin and internal organs) are processed for these fried foods.

The company, Arcos Dorados, the franchise manager in Latin America, said such a procedure is not practiced in the region. The same applies to the product in Ireland and the UK, where they use meat from local suppliers.

In the United States, Burger King and Taco Bell had already abandoned the use of ammonia in their products. The food industry uses ammonium hydroxide as an anti-microbial agent in meats, which has allowed McDonald’s to use otherwise “inedible meat.”

Even more disturbing is that because ammonium hydroxide is considered part of the “component in a production procedure” by the USDA, consumers may not know when the chemical is in their food.

On the official website of McDonald’s, the company claims that their meat is cheap because, while serving many people every day, they are able to buy from their suppliers at a lower price, and offer the best quality products.

In addition, the franchise denied that the decision to change the recipe is related to Jamie Oliver’s campaign. On the site, McDonald’s has admitted that they have abandoned the beef filler from its burger patties.

---

Myself I stopped eating McDonald’s a few years ago.

Tony
3rd August 2013, 18:19
Thank goodness someone has done something!

Conaire
3rd August 2013, 18:33
Jaime Oliver is great. He challenged the system in the U.K. a few years ago by exposing what was being fed to children in school canteens. He is changing people's attitudes towards food, for the better. GO! Mr. Oliver. He's one of the handfull of celebrities that's using his clout for the better of humanity.

mahalall
3rd August 2013, 18:48
"up to 70% of ground beef products contain pink slime"

20Yg-c6iBF8

JohnJ
3rd August 2013, 18:58
Way to go Jamie

Nanoo Nanoo
3rd August 2013, 19:30
Mc Donalds success is proportional to earths populative stupidity.

who in their right mind would ever eat that rubbish ?

There is one suburb i know of where Mc Donalds was boycotted because they didnt want it there ... within 6 months the franchise closed down.

Long live Newtown !

N

DeDukshyn
3rd August 2013, 21:58
The mother of my kids bought me an angus swiss from McDs this morning ... It madre me sick on every level imaginable -- seriously, I felt I had overdosed on some bad prescription drugs it was that bad. I told her to please never again buy this crap, especially for my kids. She said "well, they asked for it" .. I told her to start being a mom. I quite eating McDs years ago for the main reason of how sick it always made me feel. Never again.

Camilo
3rd August 2013, 23:49
Un-freaking-believable!

BrianEn
4th August 2013, 00:44
I had a cheese burger from the golden arches. Didn't like it didn't even taste like a proper burger.

DevilPigeon
4th August 2013, 01:32
-----

I'm not perfect when it comes to food, and have relapses into eating junk from time to time, but am happy to say that eating **** from any of these fast-food outlets hasn't been part of my regime for several years.

enfoldedblue
4th August 2013, 01:54
As a young child in the 70's my parents never let us eat McDonalds...according to my dad it was filled with sawdust (probably would be better than what it is really filled with). As an older kid I noticed that I always felt sick after eating it. ...but because it was so popular with all my friends I persevered until I could finally stomach it. Then at 15 I got a job working at McDonalds and practically lived on the food....poor body! At 19 I got food poisoning from some McNuggets and that was the end of fast food for me.

Now I am so far removed from that type of food that it doesn't even seem like food to me anymore.

DevilPigeon
4th August 2013, 02:20
-----

My sister used to work at McDonalds, she loved it, only because of the people she used to work with. She never ate the food though, she used to take sandwiches in for lunch. Very smart my sister, takes after me! ;)

toad
4th August 2013, 05:34
I like the video with him and some younger kids, and he shows them how chicken nuggets are made, they are all like EWWW that nasty but once they get pressed into nugget form and coated and cooked they are all over em and are totally ecstatic.

S9B7im8aQjo
Jamie Oliver: Chicken Nugget Expirement(Epic Failure)

Observer1964
4th August 2013, 13:31
I like the video with him and some younger kids, and he shows them how chicken nuggets are made, they are all like EWWW that nasty but once they get pressed into nugget form and coated and cooked they are all over em and are totally ecstatic.

S9B7im8aQjo
Jamie Oliver: Chicken Nugget Expirement(Epic Failure)

and in my head I suddenly saw something like this...
6ZL3ofreuQo

:shocked:

It breaks the heart.

Observer1964
4th August 2013, 13:35
At least we now can see why we need to protect children against this kind of stuff, My god.

Cidersomerset
4th August 2013, 14:02
I did not think I would post this article on a thread , until I just saw this one
and remembered seeing this article about burgers yesterday.

Can you really eat that? The tale of the world's oldest hamburger

p18CkZ_ZFjQ

Published on 3 Aug 2013

It's not your average hamburger. In fact, owner David Whipple says
this is the world's oldest one. David bought the burger back in 1999
to show friends how enzymes work to break down foods. But the
burger never grew mold. Over a decade later, it still looks the same.
RT Correspondent Meghan Lopez investing why that is and performed
an experiment of her own.

BrianEn
4th August 2013, 21:34
Jamie Oliver is a modern day hero. He's taking on a cause. Right on.

Warlock
5th August 2013, 01:32
My question is: How did Jamie find the burger? With a microscope?

Warlock :wizard:

Carmody
5th August 2013, 02:14
I go into something that is akin to anaphylactic shock, a flu-like allergy response, if I eat at a fast food place.

haven't been to McDonald's more than twice in the past decade. And when I did go, I tried to find something the menu that is not chemically treated, or chemically 'assisted'. More than a few times...I have gone in to one... looked at the menu, looked around... and then walked out...

Then found a supermarket and bought a yogurt and maybe a organic banana..and then went and got a spoon and a coffee at a coffee house, and sat down there and ate.

I must admit a weakness for kettle cooked salt&Vinegar chips, though.

DouglasDanger
7th August 2013, 00:09
The "new" filler to replace the ammonia cleansed beef will be .... drum roll!!...........horse meat ! ..... Ha!... ;)

Camilo
8th August 2013, 15:36
It's hard to believe that people still eat that garbage. Billions and billions served everyday world wide.