PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: U.S. directs agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans

Openmindedskeptic
6th August 2013, 01:02
A secretive U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration unit is funneling information from intelligence intercepts, wiretaps, informants and a massive database of telephone records to authorities across the nation to help them launch criminal investigations of Americans.

Although these cases rarely involve national security issues, documents reviewed by Reuters show that law enforcement agents have been directed to conceal how such investigations truly begin - not only from defense lawyers but also sometimes from prosecutors and judges.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/05/us-dea-sod-idUSBRE97409R20130805

grN5aAlfxkc

Journalist Glenn Greenwald gives his perspective to Amy Goodman on Democracy Now.

y91jvJQQVl4

Tesla_WTC_Solution
6th August 2013, 02:15
Thank you for this.

Kimberley
6th August 2013, 03:42
Yes thank you! I read the story this morning am glad to see this posted with the great video explanations too...bravo!!!

Kimberley
6th August 2013, 14:13
I am bumping this because this is important..please read the article from the OP

Exclusive: U.S. directs agents to cover up program used to investigate Americans

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/05/us-dea-sod-idUSBRE97409R20130805

Openmindedskeptic
6th August 2013, 16:06
As usual Democracy Now does a very good report covering this story. It's about 16 minutes long but well worth watching as Amy Goodman actually interviews one of the writers of the Reuters piece.

XwdsnJJ0LX8

The single most troubling thing to my mind is finding out that the CIA is involved in domestic police investigations. That's not within their charter and in many ways puts them at odds with the FBI which means there's unnecessary redundancy and possibly even conflict. Let's be clear, the CIA is there to neutralize foreign threats and protect US interests abroad; thus having them go after drug dealers (responsibility of the DEA), money launderers (handled by FBI and Treasury) and gun runners (covered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) is perplexing to say the least.

With all this and the fact that DNI James Clapper no longer feels he’s accountable to Congress all we can conclude is that the Intelligence apparatus in our country has gone rogue. :(

Kimberley
6th August 2013, 18:46
The full title of the above video is A Domestic Surveillance Scandal at the DEA? Agents Urged to Cover Up Use of NSA Intel in Drug Probes

More excellent reporting ......

Come on peeps this is even BIGGER than the NSA Snowden whistle blowing...surveillance that has been going on for 20+ years of private citizens... :grouphug:

toad
6th August 2013, 20:25
Pretty messed up.

Openmindedskeptic
6th August 2013, 21:02
Pretty messed up.
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Journalist and Constitutional lawyer Glenn Greenwald has been prosecuting a case against the US Intelligence Agencies and I suspect the truly damning evidence is still forthcoming. Stay tuned...