PDA

View Full Version : Why the word Veil?

Sunny-side-up
10th August 2013, 10:21
Just a simple little word play observation.
When we talk of our awakening and starting to see through the cracks. And we say things like:
'The coming down, the lifting of the Veil!

Why have we adopted the word 'VEIL'?

Is it because it's more mysterious than other choices:

Curtain,
Covering,
Blanket,
Cloak,
Shroud,
Wall,
Mask.
Pall = 'Dark Covering or Become Dull'

Is it just a coincidence that the word 'VEIL' is just a rearranged word 'EVIL'?

VEIL of EVIL, EVIL VEIL !

Coincidence or subconscious connection, a subliminal link?

Think ill use Pall from now on, it's honest.

What you all think?

jounai
10th August 2013, 10:33
My perspective of the idea of the veil is that it is like a blanket or a thin layer of illusion that keeps us from seeing and knowing our greater nature as spirits. The lifting of the veil is that same thing as letting go and transcending the illusions and hence ascending into a greater and broader perspective of what we are. The idea of the veil is something we have put over our own eyes as we have accepted illusion as real. The experience of the veil grows stronger and stronger the more the being believes in the illusions and the experience lightens up when we let go of the illusions we once held dear. Make sense? :)

Conchis
10th August 2013, 11:43
the word veil can also be rearranged to spell live.....how we live...behind a veil

Dorjezigzag
10th August 2013, 11:44
I always found the word sur veil lance interesting.

Especially when you consider the origin of the word

Origin:

early 19th century: from French, from sur- 'over' + veiller 'watch' (from Latin vigilare 'keep watch')

I find the lance at the end interesting as this is of course a weapon and surveillance definately has been a weapon used against us

So the origin of the word veil seems to be related to watching or seeing, therefore I think it is quite appropiate as to see through the veil is all about how you watch, how you see through the illusionary veil

Anchor
10th August 2013, 11:54
> Why the word Veil?

It is chosen, I think, because it is accurate in the context the first post used.

The phenomena which means, for most of us, our incarnate waking memories and knowledge are limited by birth and death.

In the law of one, it is known as the veil of forgetting.

One is born, forgetting who we really are and what we know.

The thinning of the veil means the opportunities and chances for us to be inspired by forgotten knowledge is more frequent/likely.

markpierre
10th August 2013, 11:55
It was a curtain that covered the space called the Most Holy, where the Ark of the Covenant was kept. Symbolically, the curtain was 'torn in two'
through the transformation process of Yeheshua. Yes, it's a Biblical reference, so you can take it or leave it.
But you can't argue its meaning. The curtain that separated you from God is no more. Your history and what you were taught to believe,
on which you based your reality have been demolished. Decreed and learned and enforced and believed and taught and never questioned.
It was just a piece of cloth, and given a name, and could be torn.
If you have a word that better suites you, use it. But use the word that's most understandable to the most people, if you want to talk about it.
Until you know what it is that it was being hidden from you, and how, you won't know which is a better word.

Dorjezigzag
10th August 2013, 12:50
It was a curtain that covered the space called the Most Holy, where the Ark of the Covenant was kept. Symbolically, the curtain was 'torn in two'
through the transformation process of Yeheshua. Yes, it's a Biblical reference, so you can take it or leave it.
But you can't argue its meaning. The curtain that separated you from God is no more. Your history and what you were taught to believe,
on which you based your reality have been demolished. Decreed and learned and enforced and believed and taught and never questioned.
It was just a piece of cloth, and given a name, and could be torn.
If you have a word that better suites you, use it. But use the word that's most understandable to the most people, if you want to talk about it.
Until you know what it is that it was being hidden from you, and how, you won't know which is a better word.

The English word veil is commonly spelled two ways, veil, because it originated from a French word that was spelled that way, and vail, because some began writing the word in the way that they thought best reflected how it is pronounced when spoken in English. Regardless of the spelling, the words mean the same - something that is suspended in front of something else to wholly or partially block the view.

A number of original Hebrew and Greek words of the Holy Scriptures are translated into English as veil (or vail), but two of them refer only to the veil that Moses placed over his face after meeting with The Lord. The Hebrew word, pronounced mas-veh, means to cover; it is used only 3 times in the Holy Scriptures, all in referring to Moses. The Greek word, pronounced kal-oo-mah, which means a covering, is found only 4 times in the Bible, all of which refer to the same veil of Moses.

"And till Moses had done speaking with them, he put a veil on his face"

Moses was a very unique servant of The Lord (see The Education Of Moses). Note that the veil was placed over Moses' face when He spoke to the people, not when he spoke with The Lord. Unlike the people, with few exceptions, at that time, Moses had the Holy Spirit ("I will take of the Spirit which is upon thee," Numbers 11:17 KJV); Moses could "see" ("there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom The Lord knew face to face," Deuteronomy 34:10 KJV).

http://www.keyway.ca/htm2006/20060611.htm

Dennis Leahy
10th August 2013, 13:06
Why have we adopted the word 'VEIL'?

Is it because it's more mysterious than other choices:

Curtain,
Covering,
Blanket,
Cloak,
Shroud,
Wall,
Mask.

What you all think?

A veil is translucent. The words you're comparing it to all describe an opaque, full eclipse.

Something completely hidden, completely obscured, is not veiled. When something is veiled, we have a partial glimpse, a tangible and deliberate clue. Thus to veil something is to draw the observer in, to tantalize, to tease. This fits well with the often-told meme that the "Illumined Ones" deliberately provide hints of the truth to us common folk. The truth is not completely hidden from us; the truth is veiled.

Dennis

Hazel
10th August 2013, 13:26
Yes "the truth is veiled" and so very often... it tantalises and seduces our 'need' like some exotic dancer, who will look the other way with a mocking smile when the glimpse of the goods is done. :p

Sunny-side-up
10th August 2013, 13:49
Conchis

the word veil can also be rearranged to spell live.....how we live...behind a veil

Nice I like that Conchis 'Live'...

Dorjezigzag

I always found the word sur veil lance interesting.

Especially when you consider the origin of the word

Origin:

early 19th century: from French, from sur- 'over' + veiller 'watch' (from Latin vigilare 'keep watch')

I find the lance at the end interesting as this is of course a weapon and surveillance definately has been a weapon used against us

So the origin of the word veil seems to be related to watching or seeing, therefore I think it is quite appropiate as to see through the veil is all about how you watch, how you see through the illusionary veil

Cool, watch through the illusory Veil and be on guard!

Dennis

A veil is translucent. The words you're comparing it to all describe an opaque, full eclipse.

Something completely hidden, completely obscured, is not veiled. When something is veiled, we have a partial glimpse, a tangible and deliberate clue. Thus to veil something is to draw the observer in, to tantalize, to tease. This fits well with the often-told meme that the "Illumined Ones" deliberately provide hints of the truth to us common folk. The truth is not completely hidden from us; the truth is veiled.

Partial glimpse, we need more ha

recap1

Yes "the truth is veiled" and so very often... it tantalises and seduces our 'need' like some exotic dancer, who will look the other way with a mocking smile when the glimpse of the goods is done.

Now your response gave me some interesting visions recap1 :)

Thank you all great responses.
A lot of new info for me that I did not expect for this post, thanks all again, if I didn't add a quote of your input it's not because it wasn't worthy enough, I just filtered a selection :)

Love-n-Light

Vitalux
10th August 2013, 14:07
Just a simple little word play observation.
When we talk of our awakening and starting to see through the cracks. And we say things like:
'The coming down, the lifting of the Veil!

What you all think?

Myself I like to call it; " the Cloak of stupidity"

http://www3.telus.net/almondx/1.cone.jpg

Soulboy
10th August 2013, 23:23
This description of the veil goes back way WAY further than the bible. The Sanskrit word "Avarana" is the veil of ignorance

CD7
11th August 2013, 03:16
Why the word sunny side up..?

Is it because you don't like your eggs over cooked? I find them to be runny cooked tht way, I prefer over easy not too overcooked but seared enough so its not too runny but juicy enough to dunk my toast in...emmmm

Scrambled is another way it could be done....half and half in it whipped up real good so there nice and fluffy

Or the old green eggs and ham was always the rage back in the day :biggrin1: :hungry:

But Why Sunny side up!! hehe