PDA

View Full Version : What should I get my niece for her 6th Birthday?

transitionalman
16th August 2013, 21:30
Hello everyone. I know this might be a little random, but I have a question to ask. I'm going to my nieces house for lunch tomorrow on her 6th birthday. I want to give her a gift, but not some useless toy. Reason being when I was her age, I wasn't amused by toys as much as other kids around me were. I was much more interested in learning about life and the unknown. Sounds kind of corny but it's true. So what I'm getting at is what are some good gifts to get her for her 6th birthday.
You're help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

shadowstalker
16th August 2013, 21:37
Take her to a crystal shop and let her pick out her own crystals, Perhaps?

Agape
16th August 2013, 21:53
I'd suggest book, encyclopaedia for children or otherwise , depending on her interest and relevant maturity , for example animals .. if she can't read it now, she can list through and learn from pictures , and it will stay with her for life .

There are toys ..and toys . Box of Legos for example would totally get me up in that age .. and even much later ..

And lastly, try that your gift does not upset her parents. They usually end up playing with it first .

:popcorn:

WhiteFeather
16th August 2013, 21:54
Music is a great gift for a child. Heck i would even consider the native american flute. My friend Rick at www.rickhellerflutes.com makes some affordable one piece red cedar flutes. Ahh the gift of music. If interested PM me for more info. Rick made several flutes for me and my friends. PS Happy Birthday to your Niece.

Here's on of his Flutes.
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/130124/793r1/6231b6_20.jpeg

Ernie Nemeth
16th August 2013, 22:10
Lego! Lego! Lego!

Tesla_WTC_Solution
16th August 2013, 22:13
I bought a used abacus for my five year old autistic son and it thrilled him for quite a while...

Vangelo
16th August 2013, 22:19
Aesop's Fables. These are the best adaptations I know of:
At Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Aesops-1st-Book-Childhood-Adventures/dp/0988679116/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) or Aesop's Childhood Adventures website. (http://aesopsadventures.com/)

Poly Hedra
16th August 2013, 22:22
Hmmmm interesting.... I would have to agree with Whitefeather, the gift of music for sure.

Agape
16th August 2013, 23:11
Lego! Lego! Lego!

Lego for little Ernie .. ;)

BrianEn
16th August 2013, 23:15
Legos rule. I boiught a viewmaster for my nephew when he was 2 or 3 .
http://www.worldwideslides.com/

grannyfranny100
16th August 2013, 23:36
How about a trip to a museum assuming you live near a big city. It will cost you more with parking, admission, buying the child something in the gift shop and maybe lunch or ice cream afterwards but your niece with always remember you spending all this time with her and will feel very, very special. The conversation could be very revealing about some common interests. It will be a long term bonding event for both of you.

My youngest sister now 57 still remembers with great fondness such a trip. I never realized how special it felt to her.

shadowstalker
16th August 2013, 23:42
First things first, ask her what she really likes and why she likes it..

transitionalman
16th August 2013, 23:51
A big thank you to everyone who contributed here. I really appreciate it. I really like the idea of taking her to a crystal shop and letting her pick one out. I actually found a shop in the neighborhood called "The Native Spirit Lodge". It would be neat for her see something like that.

ghostrider
17th August 2013, 03:22
at six, yeah a flute or something musical, let the artistic side blossom , see where it goes , if nothing else she can bomp her friends over the head with it ... ha ha

chocolate
17th August 2013, 19:13
When I was 6 I dreamed of paper and pencils/watercolors to draw, legos (it was called differently here and wasn't as fancy as lego), ball to play, and books with beautiful pictures or sketches.
And I am still crazy for crystals, and stones of all sorts. Even today I found two stones and put them in my bag.

grannyfranny100
18th August 2013, 23:34
So did you take her crystal shopping yet? Please let us know when you do.

blufire
19th August 2013, 02:07
The first thing I thought of was crystal and gems too. . . . Specifically a fire opal when I thought of her.