PDA

View Full Version : Where'd The Water Go?

sirdipswitch
21st August 2013, 17:48
Way back when I was just a little twerp. (kid)cc. (chuckle chuckle) (don't like lols, I just do little chuckles.cc. I sat in school amazed at how Salt Lake City, Utah, was where the ancient ocean shore line used to be. Then, as a "Trucker", (yep, I was one a them.cc) runnin through Salt Lake City, I could look up 1,100 feet above town, and plainly see that "High Water" mark, that remains there even to this day. You can even see the difrnt, (different) levels as it droped in stages over the countless millions of years. So how high exactly is 11 hundred feet above SLC? 5,700+or- a few, above sea level. Yep 57 hundred feet above sea level. There really ain't much snow and ice left on this rock. If one was to take a great big blow torch and go melt every bit of it left, it wouldn't raise the sea level by very much. Forget the Arctic, that's already floating in water, so if it melts the ocean will drop. If the Antarctic melts, it would be run-off and "should" bring it back up. So then we have all the mountains with snow, which ain't much, would mean a total rise in ocean levels ain't gonna be very big. Why would I say such a thing with all this fear mongering goin on?

Think back about an extremely severe winter, when several feet of snow covers half the nothern hemisphere, and then it all melts again, and nobody says diddly sqwat about the "fluctuations" in sea level rise and fall. Because there ain't enough to see. So why would I, or anyone, think that what little is actually left, would make a great big difrnce in sea levels???

So... back to the question... where'd the water go? More than 5,000 feet of it???

And think also, that everything "under" 5,000 feet... would dissapear!

By Australia!! ccc.

Now for the fun part. Headin west across highway 80, there's a place out there that goes above 5, 000 feet and you can park off of an exit out there and then walk out along that ancient sea shore, and pick up ancient sea shells. Yep!!! STILL ! Trust me, take a backpack with water and snacks, cuz it's a long friggn way out there and back! ccc

Clue -is there water in space? ccc.

Sunny-side-up
21st August 2013, 18:08
Think you have to factor in Land-Rising? I think in Hawaii there are very high hills that are actually old Coral reefs.

Rollo
21st August 2013, 21:11
Expanding Earth and the same amount of water?

Bubu
22nd August 2013, 00:20

whoa!!!!! good point to consider. Hollow earth expanding while spinning.

centrifugal force

Orph
22nd August 2013, 00:30
It's those doggone ET's I tell ya'. You think waterspouts are a natural phenomena? Heck no. It's those ET's in their spaceships sucking up our water. It creates a vortex, kind of like when you flush the toilet, only in reverse. Here's my idea on how to stop that. If we can somehow guide, push, force, or somehow get those ET's to suck up the water from that great big garbage dump that's swirling around out in the middle of the Pacific ocean, I bet that would put a great big hiccup in their bellyshnozzel. ... See, clean up our ocean and get rid of the ET's at the same time. :jester:

Orph
22nd August 2013, 01:19
So, if we were to raise the sea level approximately 5000 feet around the entire globe, not only is that a lot of water, but it's a lot of weight. Hard for me to think of where the water went, without my mind also wandering off trying to think about how that much water would affect the weather, earth's rotation, salinity levels, plant life, surfing spots, and on and on.

778 neighbour of some guy
22nd August 2013, 22:05

That means the waterline will drop, it has to spread out more, on the other hand, if there is such a thing as global warming, water levels will stay the same ( when the expansion and melting are happening at the same speed), in case of global cooling, things that cool shrink, that raises the water levels.

Operator
23rd August 2013, 00:43
But we have in the same time sunken cities.