PDA

View Full Version : Century of the Self - amazing documentary - MUST SEE

Poly Hedra
1st April 2010, 12:02
Hey, I'm guessing a lot of people may have already see it... so if you haven't I'd highly recommend it.

Its about the beginnings of public relations, and the history of advertising as we know it. The story of Edward Bernays and Sigmund Freud and how a warped version of his psychology was used on the masses. Very insightful.

Part 1: Happiness Machines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnPmg0R1M04

Part 2: The Engineering of Consent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEsPOt8MG7E

Part 3: There is a Policeman Inside All Our Heads; He Must Be Destroyed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub2LB2MaGoM

Part 4: Eight People Sipping Wine in Kettering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VouaAz5mQAs

Enjoy. X

mike1414
1st April 2010, 12:11
this is a really interesting vid, saw it a while back...thank you for sharing

peace always
mike

buddha boy
2nd April 2010, 09:30
nice find man

Snowbird
4th October 2010, 01:11
I've heard of Edward Bernays and have known essentially who he was and what he did, but this is the first time that I have sat and watched a documentary about him. I've just finished part 1 which explains the fundamentals of the extreme effects that he forced onto the world.

The Century Of Self Part 1 (of 4)
Happiness Machines

The story of the relationship between Sigmund Freud and his American nephew, Edward Bernays. Bernays invented the public relations profession in the 1920s and was the first person to take Freud's ideas to manipulate the masses. He showed American corporations how they could make people want things they didn't need by systematically linking mass-produced goods to their unconscious desires. Bernays was one of the main architects of the modern techniques of mass-consumer persuasion, using every trick in the book, from celebrity endorsement and outrageous PR stunts, to eroticising the motorcar. His most notorious coup was breaking the taboo on women smoking by persuading them that cigarettes were a symbol of independence and freedom. But Bernays was convinced that this was more than just a way of selling consumer goods. It was a new political idea of how to control the masses. By satisfying the inner irrational desires that his uncle had identified, people could be made happy and thus docile. It was the start of the all-consuming self which has come to dominate today's world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnPmg0R1M04

The full documentary, all in one video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s

Bill Ryan
4th October 2010, 02:10
----------

Hello, All -

I'm delighted to see this recommended here.

CENTURY OF THE SELF is the best documentary series I've ever seen. I can't recommend it highly enough.

EVERYONE should see Part 3 : compulsory viewing to understand what happened to us all in the latter part of the twentieth century.

In a couple of very inadequate sentences, it's how the rapidly growing (and threatening) Human Potential Movement of the 1960s and 70s was hijacked by corporate business, and self-aware people were tricked into compromising their new-found sense of personal power and independence by buying products that seemed to reinforce their individuality.

In one brilliant swoop (researched by the CIA-backed Stanford Research Institute), the threat of the Human Potential Movement was emasculated.

We might have changed the world: but instead, we were all duped. Learn from this, folks, and don't get fooled again.

When it was first shown on the BBC in 2002 I was spellbound - and spent a long time trying to find it again. I eventually found it in San Francisco in 2005 where it was shown in a theater as a four hour movie with an intermission. I was indescribably pleased to find it later uploaded to YouTube for all to see.

Watch this episode and emerge profoundly thoughtful - trust me.

truthseekerdan
4th October 2010, 03:13
I will watch it Bill, thanks. Much appreciated. :)

TraineeHuman
4th October 2010, 06:21
In studying the material in these videos, it’s helpful to understand more of the background of the ideological changes which occurred during the sixties and seventies. I remember in 1974 talking to an acquaintance who was the Chairman of the Politics Department at one of the leading universities in my country. He knew that I was completing a postgraduate thesis in Philosophy at the time, and that I was also knowledgeable in Eastern meditation schools and in Psychology. At the time, he was desperate to get his hands on certain material. That was any material explaining the philosophical or ideological implications of the impact on Western culture and thought of the Indian gurus and their teachings. He was very interested to understand the ideological “invasion”, so to speak, of Indian spiritual teachings into the West. He assured me that to his mind, it had been easily the most important and the most paradigm-busting that had happened to Western political thought in well over a century.

So let me just fill you in a little, if I may, about what happens in the world of Philosophy. Each thirty or fifty or however many years, there are a small number of main “movements” or schools that every professional philosopher belongs to one of. These “movements” each possess their own techniques and approaches for winning an argument. Any fair-minded observer will agree it becomes obvious that a philosopher using the techniques and standpoints of any of the current movements will totally defeat anybody who is using those of any movement from any earlier period in the history of philosophy. And by the mid-seventies, one of the four movements of the day was what is known as “comparative philosophy”, meaning the study of ancient Eastern philosophy and its “translation” into Western terms.

At this point you are probably wondering: “Who cares what philosophical movements are or were the dominant ones?” You may even not put your response as politely as that. Well, let me remind you that ideas are very, very powerful. And especially ideological movements which are more sophisticated than all the ones which have gone before. Part of the way Western society and culture work is that the ideas created or discovered in the world of philosophy slowly “percolate” throughout society. They often form the dominant movements in the fine arts, particularly in painting, only a decade or two after being born in the world of philosophy. Usually a number of decades later, they have their full impact on the world of politics. Why am I explaining all this, you may still be asking. Well, I’m trying to make two points, for now. The first point is that these ideas are so powerful, nothing can stop them. The second point is, they are a step up in the evolution of human understanding; they are more sophisticated than what went before. So the whole human potential movement was a change for the better in our society. Yes, I know the video explains how think-tanks and advertising gurus managed to find a way to twist even that into something used to manipulate the population. But my point is, if you can free yourself from said manipulation in any way, you’ll be enjoying a higher level of spirituality than what had been generally available before. Consider how the US found it so hard to defeat the Vietnamese. This was so because their Buddhist culture had already taught them long ago to adhere to the “human potential” principles of knowing thyself and above all being to thine own self true. Or as the Christian Meister Eckhart put it: "The eye with which I see God is the same eye as the one with which He sees me."

Corncrake
4th October 2010, 07:05
I came across Bernays only recently too and it was an eye opener. I have since discussed his methods with my children especially the episode regarding smoking and feminism. So many kids today start smoking as a social prop - to seem 'cool'.

Project_Buggy_Beach
4th October 2010, 08:34
My two cents worth after watching all four links. Have we arrived at a point in time where society in general has now fully experienced ‘self’ and is ready to move on, they’re no longer purchasing the lie, the latest high tech reversed engineered ‘suggestion’ is not fulfilling their inner desire for self fulfillment as a spiritual being or do they just not have the money to purchase the new toys? Focusing on others not service to self, are people really ready for that or are they seething angry mobs who will turn on themselves and destroy everything if things don’t get back to ‘normal’? I believe the spiritually advanced are always a very small portion of society, the number is constant and doesn’t change, maybe we should put LSD in the water supply to experience the massive shift in consciousness everyone already shifted is wishing for, beyond divine intervention there is just not enough of an enlightened percentage to usher in the next golden age (sometimes we identify with our microcosm subgroups we forget Joe Public isn’t vibrating on the same wavelength). All of the real rituals that let society release and experience the true divine have been prosaiced down into meaningless gestures, is this what causes the irrational fears and madman lurking within, the system is not faulted but the current software running is. Human beings are driven by primitive irrational fears and emotions when exposed to primitive irrational situations and emotions, for example war, college institutions feeding gullible students nonsense and absorption of the nonsense taking far too long to complete when any internet surfer today knows the true knowledge is right below the surface, it drives people insane. Good series worth watching, simplistic when you consider advertising techniques used today, subliminal overlays, audio, 3-D graphic manipulations, satellite delivery/surveillance, etc. (I found episode 4 interesting.)

The Century of the Self, Episode 4: Eight People Sipping Wine in Kettering

Kulapops
4th October 2010, 09:10
I too was spellbound watching that documentary back in 2002... my uncle was the only other person I knew who saw it and we were both open mouthed. Never really met anyone since who has seen it, so great to see this thread.

Thanks.

K

TraineeHuman
4th October 2010, 11:56
A spiritually evolved person basically sees service to others as a necessary and inseparable part of service to themselves. So the “self” that the videos are talking about isn’t the true self, which is the Higher Self. (Which the ancient Eastern religions have taught in their various ways, probably ever since Lemuria.)

The videos are hugely important, of course. But they're full of inaccurate assertions, for example, about Freud. Freud happened to hold that human beings don’t have any free choice or any real free will whatsoever. Freud was strictly a determinist. He believed that who you are is mainly set by your childhood conditioning – by your parents and teachers. Also, it so happens that for the last thirty years there has been virtually nobody in the entire field of professional psychology who believes that Freud’s theories are true or valid. There have been plenty of respectable experiments and studies that have rather conclusively proved that most of Freud’s theories were largely hogwash. About the only things that Freud did correctly assert were the following. Firstly, much of what occurs in the mind and/or soul of a human being occurs unconsciously, in nearly all cases. Although Eastern (both Chinese and Indian) psychology had discovered this thousands of years ago, to mainstream Western thought it was a new concept. Secondly, it’s true that we do get conditioned a great deal in our childhood and adolescence, and at such an age we do forget, and make unconscious, anything that’s unpleasant or painful.

Similarly, the videos make all sorts of incorrect or misleading assertions relating to the origins or the substance of the human potential movement.

ascendingstarseed
4th October 2010, 12:09
I always wondered what happened and why we didn't move forward after the 60's, where we made so many enlightened discoveries. We almost made an evolutionary leap forward, then humanity regressed back into materialism and a self-serving, egoistic way of life.

Who knew there were a handful of people behind the scenes actually manipulating the "mind of the masses". Now the question is, how do we turn the masses around towards a service to others mentality?

Carmody
4th October 2010, 12:28
At this point you are probably wondering: “Who cares what philosophical movements are or were the dominant ones?” You may even not put your response as politely as that. Well, let me remind you that ideas are very, very powerful. And especially ideological movements which are more sophisticated than all the ones which have gone before. Part of the way Western society and culture work is that the ideas created or discovered in the world of philosophy slowly “percolate” throughout society. They often form the dominant movements in the fine arts, particularly in painting, only a decade or two after being born in the world of philosophy. Usually a number of decades later, they have their full impact on the world of politics. Why am I explaining all this, you may still be asking. Well, I’m trying to make two points, for now. The first point is that these ideas are so powerful, nothing can stop them. The second point is, they are a step up in the evolution of human understanding; they are more sophisticated than what went before. So the whole human potential movement was a change for the better in our society. Yes, I know the video explains how think-tanks and advertising gurus managed to find a way to twist even that into something used to manipulate the population. But my point is, if you can free yourself from said manipulation in any way, you’ll be enjoying a higher level of spirituality than what had been generally available before. Consider how the US found it so hard to defeat the Vietnamese. This was so because their Buddhist culture had already taught them long ago to adhere to the “human potential” principles of knowing thyself and above all being to thine own self true. Or as the Christian Meister Eckhart put it: "The eye with which I see God is the same eye as the one with which He sees me."

I became interested in the ideas of a similar nature back in 1978.

I had decided that... to create change in man, one had to travel the back channels of the mind, below the conscious buzz that the 'surface' of the world seemingly depended on, for general communication. I had a clue delivered to me when I heard the line that 'the best jokes in the world are heard by the President within 48 hours'. I began to investigate mental structure in the practical sense, with regard to how those around me functioned. To consider the working models around me. The world was my teacher, workshop, and classroom. My first year of western high school. Not a better experimental bubble is to be found, in the west.

I began to investigate catechisms and similar mind worms for the purposes of designed and shaped communicable mental infection. I thought it out, and made one I felt was perfect. I had considered the weighting and complexity (evolution level) for maximum effect and target audience compatibilities So it would flow from person to person, with as little impediment as possible, regardless of awareness, mental development, emotions, education, or age. Then.. I stepped up to the microphone of the unconscious in man...and uttered those few words tied to a symbol that was unique...and broadcast that into the world. I tested the broadcast and communication system.

It went global.

I was 13 years old.

I also had the second highest level of detentions in my high school, I was spending my time in the library reading works of fiction and whatnot. Never made it past grade 10 in the formal education system.

The western schooling system commits the act of what one could call 'the bell curve trim', like trimming a fish. First, we place the fish on the table...and cut off the tail..and then cut off the head. Then we gut it. Thus, western education.

In essence, I'm still at it. I just made that up for the purposes of simplicity and clarity. I've never heard that descriptive for western education before, but importantly, it is quite apt and understandable at all levels of mental development. Now watch that simple descriptive work it's way around and through societal, philosophical, and any other given relevant channels. I'm sure it's not unique, but application aspects transform the position of the given view presented and thus the meaning and internal aspects of revelation. To simplify communication to the needs of unconscious and internally connected systems...whilst retaining the depth of meaning.

Carmody
4th October 2010, 16:57
OK Bill, I get the point. :) I'm glad to have the documentary series in front of me again..as the first time I found them on the net, I could not view parts 3 & 4,and I have yet to see them. On one forum I was on..for a time, my signature was 'Don't be Stupid'- Edward Bernays (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays) (as a link to his Wikipedia entry.)

Another that is incredibly eye opening but not of exactly the same type ...is "The American Ruling Class" (http://www.theamericanrulingclass.org/home/).

Dale
4th October 2010, 17:19
I just watched a good portion of this documentary. Quite brilliant!

From my knowledge of the subject, it seems that those in power, well throughout history, have understood that human beings have an innate drive toward growth. A spiritual flame that resides deep within. Often, if an individual is placed in an environment of little stimulation and/or high control, that inner passion will manifest itself as fury.

In modern times, psychoanalytic theory and many other forms of "societal control" have given human beings the illusion that they're achieving "growth," however materialistic it may be. And, quite frankly, this worries me. As the documentary states, we, as a collective, are being led to become docile consumers residing in a pseudo-democratic land. This makes us safe, tamed, and supportive; no need for those in power to fear us becoming what we truly are - powerful, loving, spiritual beings striving to grow, learn, and develop.

Snowbird
4th October 2010, 23:46
I agree with Bill that this is an outstanding documentary series. These four hours have answered a long term question that I have had about the history surrounding where we are today. These videos should be shown in every high school around the globe. :director:

As a member of the Conscious Media Network, yesterday I tapped into the site to see what new videos were posted. What I thought was to be a video on prison reform, turned out to have been mis-loaded. I immediately realized the importance of what I was seeing and sat back for a long viewing session, and am so glad that I did.

It is absolutely astonishing what just one person can accomplish within a lifetime. Not all will agree with what Edward Bernays put in motion. His work could have been turned around and used for the good of billions. Had he marketed his work and sold books, he would still have become very wealthy and could have lived a very comfortable life and saved our world a great deal of grief. His choice of path was quite different.

I am paraphrasing one of the people interviewed for this series, but I so agree with what he said: The people are not in charge. The people's desires are in charge. We have become slaves to our desires and offered doggy treats from politicians, corporations and the elite.

I can't argue with that. :ear:

Carmody
6th October 2010, 12:52
That is the point entirely. We feel we are given individuation through the reflection of our id or ego structure's desires being satisfied..not realizing that the channel that is used, the channel in the human mind that is used to control the masses..is, for the most part..identical enough for this purpose..for it to be successfully used.

It is important to realize that the ego construct is a Freudian one and is simplified, and is only 100 years old. The reason it has worked so well as a point in understanding so far is due to the point that it is simplified enough, yet retains enough accuracy for it to be a useful tool, even for those who do not understand it's true meaning. The history of the gun follows a similar line. People can't individually understand it's total sum mechanistic complexity and make one --but they can use one to shape history.

Thus the power of well made tools.

Ie, what is it..over 15% of humanity that is on the net ---is expressing their individuation by being together on facebook? Does anyone even get the irony of that?

If you want to help man, you must find and implement the right tools, and they must be thought forms that cannot be prevented in their conscious and unconscious transfer. For in reality, that is exactly what is being done to man right now. They (the created tool or thought form) must target the base functions we all share.

bashi
14th January 2011, 15:53
DON'T SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN YOU CAN BE -
MAKE YOUR LIFE A MASTERPIECE

I want to draw attention to this very insightful documentary, posted already by Bill, which was – surprisingly? – made by BBC. It gives us an idea about the driving forces which have shaped the reality in which we live today.
It is spot on the basic problems.
After seeing this documentary, you might understand why we are in today’s mess and where the basic mistakes have been made.

The rationale of the Controllers will become clearer and also why They think some drastic changes have to be implemented, as this path has led into a dead end.

It clearly shows how, by accepting the Freudian view of Man’s nature, we have created a selfish society which is driven by the highest goal: The egoistic satisfaction of primitive instincts.

(Condensed) Quote:” The appeal to the selfish, instinct driven freudian individual has been multiplied by companies to produce the ideal consumer . The people are not in charge , but the people’s desires are in charge and politic is reduced to a delivery system of doggy treats with only short term results and contradictory strategies..”

Particularly part 3 and 4 are very informative with interviews of insiders of the geopolitical arena.

There is a Policeman Inside All Our Heads; He Must Be Destroyed.

Part 4 follows the timeline up to events surrounding the Blair and Clinton elections:

Eight People Sipping Wine in Kettering

Fractalius
14th January 2011, 20:37
Hi, I agree this is a good documentary. Though I get it mixed up with the three part BBC documentary called, "The Trap, What Happened to our Dreams of Freedom?" Also well worth watching.

Part One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH233mVxHMU
Part Two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmpO-AskA-8
Part Three: WE WILL FORCE YOU TO BE FREE is a MUST WATCH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPkRgOr4Spg

keiththompsonmusic
15th January 2011, 04:08
WHICH SIDE OF HISTORY WILL YOU BE ON?

This is an age old phenomena we are living in the midst of; planetary shift, on a literal world-wide scale. This is the story of good versus evil, right versus wrong cloaked in secrecy and bathed in blood. The only thing that has really changed is the means to wreak destruction on mankind in a more efficient way but then, I suppose, a long time ago, in a galaxy far away, we've been this road before.

It grows tiresome and almost laughable because of how many times we have been here before in the past and still, most people, don't get it or fail to see the recurring patterns. Have we not proven, time and again, that violence, anger and killing serves only those that would wish to divide and conquer us? The answer, as I see it, is so clear and esoteric it's no wonder that the mass of humanity can't, or more aptly, refuses to see it. If you want to control a populace just inject fear and greed and maintain that lower tonal resonance. Some of us refuse to resonate with that. Many of us are close to that ideal but allow other negative energies to control their minds and spirits and never fully materialize the 100th monkey we so fundamentally need to eradicate the pervasive evil so intent on power and money control. What I find so crucial in this flux of humanity to this resonance is actually realizing we are the very energy that drives everything, good or bad. It truly is a magnificent trap, a downward spiral that leads to ultimate control.

What I see around me every day is this full circle in action. All the clues are there if you're willing to bother looking. Most won't simply because that would require them to get out of their comfort zone. Apparently, different is evil and no-one wants to suffer "jeer pressure". No-one wants to be viewed as weird, odd, different, outside the "norm" etc. Fair enough. Can someone please explain to me what is normal? Is normal racing to ones' doom because everyone else is herded in that direction? If a ship was sinking and the masses were clamouring to climb aboard, would you follow them or choose a raft of your own making? Smart move. Here's the real issue however. Most people don't see the recurring trap. Revolution is futile where resistance is not. Protesting is acquiesence and being unhappy about what you are agreeing to by default. The real enemy now is the ease at which they can get people angry, to step into the negative frequencies and then, destroy themselves and each other and all the while thinking you are doing the right thing.

So exactly what does killing a fellow human solve anyway? How far can you get by arguing from an ego driven viewpoint? I mean really, what gets solved by screaming that your god is better than their god and then arming up to prove it? For the elitists with certain esoteric knowledge that has been in their possession and kept from us, this is their weapon of choice and has been for millenium. Yes, knowledge truly is power. When I look at something, I seek out the fear factor. Is there something in it that is trying to scare me and why? To put it another way, is there something in what I'm supposed to "believe", according to the "norm" and, if I don't, are there dire consequences? Fear is control, period. Fear of the unknown, fear of loss and ultimately, fear of each other. Perfect! That's a great big cup of gotcha! That's a control so perfect that people will be terrified to even question whether or not something is true just because someone else told them that it was true, or else. Truth is not a statement of fact, it is a realization and you'd better be willing to be wrong in order to understand that. That one is likely the biggest fear of all. That one is driven by pure ego and nothing else. Scary notion.

Ego is "me and only me" driven. At last check, being selfish wasn't in the positive range of tones. Check. Selfish breeds greed. Check. Greed manifests in countless ways beyond that for things like power, wealth, control etc. Check. Nope, not a good thing if we're to solve this little quagmire we've found ourselves in, yet again. The irony is that it's always the same reason time and time and time again. Instill an "all about me" mindset and now you can control the one very easily and very effectively without them ever even twigging on to the deception, because, in their minds, their "winning" in the rat race. Is your beingness so insecure that you need to convince others of your "power" because you have the nicest house or car? Talk about shallow and well trapped. I see these people as fundamentally misguided but through no fault of their own. Is it about what you want, or, what you need? There is nothing wrong with "wealth" per se in the physical realm sense but rather about your intentions on the scale of pure and evil. There are many cases in history that speak of those with extreme wealth that fit into each category or somewhere in between. It's where some have benevolence and some are insanely evil that is reflected in the societies around us. The fact remains, we are of the human society and we have an obligation to each other and our survival as a species.

I do not get angry with evil, that just feeds it and I'm guilty of feeding it further. I do not hate either because that is just gasoline on an already out of control inferno. You see, the best way to get people fighting is to tell them their different somehow than others and, likewise, better in some way. Reinforce and fortify that ego and you have someone who will hate very easily. Even better, put them in a uniform, tell them they have authority and the ego salivates. Hell, you can even write a book and declare yourself a chosen people and then guilt a planet into believing that. Talk about a perfect divide and conquer. The worst part about that is that these people are the very pawns that are used and actually think that they, so-called Zionists, are in control. That's a good one. In order for a controlling elite to stay in control they have to keep everyone negative and hateful and keep us humans fighting. The ones that think they control the planet are the very tools of their own destruction. Evil, by definition, must destroy itself to be absolute evil since evil is destruction after all. We have already won this game but we're too damn stubborn to realize it. Revenge is the folly of fools, war is the proof of that. It's also a great way to thin the ranks of all of us so there's more on the plate for the greedy.

When oh when will we learn? We have the means to destroy our planet and everything on it but not the rationale to even question the notion of why. What sense does that make? I assure you, there will be no nuclear world war since there's not much point in being here after that. It's not very logical to poison your own well and then drink from it. So, what should we do about that? There are books out there from many more scholarly than I but, then again, intuition is not about book smarts but rather street savvy. The answer truly lies within each of us once we get beyond the "me" aspects. It has been quite a ruse, actually hiding the answers inside of us then getting us looking only at ourselves from the opposite perspective. Confused? So was I for a while but it made total sense once my perceptions changed. It's the old missing the forest for all the trees concept. The only hurdle we have is getting beyond the "me" mindset and looking at oneself from the intention scale with objectivity and, that somehow, you got duped like myself and the rest of us. That's an awful big piece of humble pie that some may never have the joy in tasting. What would your intentions be if you could find, then have the answer to the universe? Would you use it for your own selfish gain or would you offer everyone a piece of the claim you stake and let everyone share in the goldmine? Are you evolved enough to love unconditionally? Is personal and instant gratification more important than the life of a child perhaps? Sadly, for some currently on this planet, greed, power and control have them trying to be the judge, jury and executioner of us all. Too late for that though because too many of us caught on and just in time, I might add. The supposed rulling elite are only kidding themselves and they've lied so much, they're actually believing their own warped sense of reality to the point that there is nothing we can do to save them. That, is up to them.

There is no absolution just because you "believe" there to be because some doctrine told you based on the hand me down lies of the past. Anything written by the hand of man was written by....the hand of man. The books I'm after are the ones we didn't write. No people, I'm afraid your absolution comes from within yourself and your ability to accept the responsibilities of your own creations subjective to your own intentions. What goes around, comes around, Karma and the Universal law says so. Our rules, so get over it.
For some, you're already getting the picture here, for others it may still be obscure to the point of opacity. Regardless, truth is truth no matter what I or anyone else tries to convince you of. Truth resonates but you have to be tuned into it. You are in control of your own dial so you might want to change the station until that too, resonates. The increase in the perceived police state mentality is the reflection of the fear the elites have. They must get us fighting at all costs to continue the ruse in perpetuity but there are many that just aren't buying it anymore. That went bad on the shelf eons ago. I could write a lengthy tome on all my theories, thoughts, quandries etc. but I won't bother because it's all been written before many times. The issue is not that confusing at all but you have to be willing to be wrong about a whole myriad of things and just maybe everything you ever thought was "true". It's quite devious this game but brilliantly simple once you figure out the basics and the irony is that it was us all along that had the key to our own destruction or salvation. In a nutshell, you be the judge of you, no-one knows you better and your mirror can prove that. Now, do the elites a favour and get back to bickering, stealing, raping, protesting, warring, dividing, killing et al because these beings are expecting a show from you all to get on with controlling this planet and keeping what's left of humanity in slavery. Gee, I wonder what would would happen if no-one showed up to the colliseum to-day or tomorrow or the next day? What's white is black and what's black is white. There's your answer if you're interested. Me? I'm moving off to the sidelines to resonate love and you'd all better hope there's enough of us to get the job done....97....98.....99.....next?

k.thompson, earthling

bashi
15th January 2011, 18:46
very long article, keith, but that approach does not bring the discussion further.

I am looking at the TV adds with a complete different eye, after seeing the videos. I can see from where they are originating, and why a particular approach has been chosen to appeal to issues mentioned in the vids.

John White
15th January 2011, 19:03
I rather like Keiths post myself: I recognise his selfless courage in showing his soul through it

But regarding the topic, Adam Curtis certainly broke the mould with his documentaries for the Beeb

For the benefit of non-brit forum members I should point out they were originally broadcast at the obscure end of the television schedules so did'nt get large coverage at the time of broadcast... I think "power of nightmares" probably made the largest splash... since then its fair to say they have become net legends, and I'm delighted if this thread results in people discovering them for the first time

They are a marvellous primer for the subject matter involved, and anyone making a few notes of key names and words throughout the programmes will have a brilliant map sketched out for them to go on and discover a whole lot more

I feel the most significant thing is to recognise that even though it names key players and so on, the individuals themselves are not what is truly important... it is recognising that they were the foci for establishing patterns of thought that now ripple all around the planet

It's seeing those patterns that truly provide the means to develop an elevated view above "consensus trance"

Operator
15th January 2011, 19:13
"The Century of the Self" is a must see documentary IMHO for everyone who still thinks that a certain way of thinking by an elite group is far fetched.
And as said above it isn't even an alternative media production ... they just let you know what's indeed out there for almost a century ...

norman
15th January 2011, 19:33
This man's documentaries are very broadly informed in one sense but something doesn't sit right with me about what he's trying to say with them.

When The Power of Nightmares first aired I was told about it and rushed over to a friends house to watch it from VHS video tape. I felt myself being slapped around all over by incredible heartless academic thrust that I had a hunch was not meant for me at all. I found it creepily justifying the lowest possible analysis of human nature.

I didn't make any more sense of it than that at the time but other thoughts have gathered around it since. When Kerry Cassidy recently said, in conversation with Bill, that the 'story' of the Pentagon Missile and the frame up of an arms dealer was really meant for the 'higher ups' I didn't think she was right but this documentary has reminded me that there is a multi layer narrative going on and not all 'propaganda' is aimed at the throngs of wishful life livers with hearts for placards.

The BBC schedule timing may also be a clue that it's aimed at those who ( falsely, in my view ) believe they are on the winning team that has nothing to fear by thinking the unthinkable.

John White
15th January 2011, 19:43
I agree with you Norman that Adam Curtis is not the font of all answers... from interviews I know he does not hold to (or admit) to any kind of conspiratorial views. These documentaries are not "magic bullets" with an off-the-peg world view to simply be copied. But then, I have some confidence that we are all pretty much past that here anyway. What they are is a concentrated dose of television with more truth-per-hour than pretty much anything that has ever been broadcast on television anywhere on the planet

The day we don't require due diligence in all things is the day we give up and go back to sleep :)

3optic
15th January 2011, 19:52
"The Century of the Self" is a must see documentary IMHO for everyone who still thinks that a certain way of thinking by an elite group is far fetched.
And as said above it isn't even an alternative media production ... they just let you know what's indeed out there for almost a century ...

Even if one accepts the elite group thesis this doc is useful and highly entertaining imo. There are a lot of players in this game. To reduce it to only an NWO scenario is overly simplistic. Curtis makes it clear that, in his view many of these social trends were manipulated and some were organic. It's possible that both the elite manipulation scenario and the human history as chaotic unfolding can co-exist.

John White
15th January 2011, 19:59
Even if one accepts the elite group thesis this doc is useful and highly entertaining imo. There are a lot of players in this game. To reduce it to only an NWO scenario is overly simplistic. Curtis makes it clear that many of these social trends were manipulated and some were organic. It's possible that both the elite manipulation scenario and the human history as chaotic unfolding can co-exist.

And even inevitable. It requires essential movement in raw creativity for there to be anything TO manipulate :)

MariaDine
15th January 2011, 20:20
Fractalius, very interessing videos ! Thank you very much !

Fractalius
15th January 2011, 20:32
Another video I would like to add is away from the Curtis series but relates well regards the power of the media.

This time it is a PBS Frontline doco, called The Merchants of Cool. Apologies and celebrations if this is already well known.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkVO-_U88Ds

Carmody
15th January 2011, 21:33
very long article, keith, but that approach does not bring the discussion further.

I am looking at the TV adds with a complete different eye, after seeing the videos. I can see from where they are originating, and why a particular approach has been chosen to appeal to issues mentioned in the vids.

Until I removed Television from my life, I had been watching TV ads solely to see where billions of dollars brought cutting edge psychology research, for the purposes of gain access to people's minds. I had heard this 'factoid' about advertising as industries go, when I was about 13 years of age...and my position, from then on, was to check advertisements to see what the latest people herding and driving techniques were going to be.

I reasoned that the money was so powerfully aligned with this point, it being the financial driver of television itself, in the greater context. Advertising attempted to, for example, step into the comfort zone in a very classy and understated way..to relax the eye, to relax the mind, to open them up for the ramming in of the message ..via Automotive adverts and McDonald's adverts in the..mid-late 80's, IIRC. Some went to the classy feeling soft sell, finding it more powerful. As the monkey began to understand the tactics, then the wind shifted. Yet again.

keiththompsonmusic
16th January 2011, 11:58
My apologies for an overly long piece, I had just written it, sent it to my own lists and aired it on my show yesterday too. Having lived in N.Ireland and Canada this lifetime, I have been given two different media ploys to view in action with the same intentions behind them. We have a TV but it's used mostly for movies, which we as a family dissect...it's actually quite fun...and when we do watch TV, it's usually for certain things more educational and comedy. We all watch TV very little and it's always with our own eyes, not the glazed over look the programming is hoping for, court room/cop shows have become comedies for us and have been for a long time. We are a family of musicians and writers, painters and singers where the creative energies rule and the self is allowed to thrive. The constant barrage we all endure from our day to day lives makes me wonder how so many of us were able to get through and I am seeing these invisible walls fall down all around me with people on a daily basis here. My gratitude knows no bounds for those that truly know who they are and then do something about it such as people like all of you. I see many of the "elite" groups being used as pawns to keep the frequencies of this planet in a low and negative tone while thinking they are the ones in control. For me, the truth is simple in that the only way one can be controlled is if one resonates to being controlled. It's just a matter of controlling your own dial and tuning it up a notch to change the station. Around here, our "concert pitch" is 432 hz, not the newly prescribed (1955) 440 hz...tuned to the heart, not the mind....peace, honour and love with all, kt

E.Yes
23rd January 2011, 00:17
What a great documentarian, I hadn't heard of him or his films. He has a blog at the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/

SomaSmith
14th September 2011, 12:45
Thank you for sharing this.

I have played this video while having friends over in hopes that someone would pay attention.
There is alot to learn about the history of the "P.R." machine that we are living in.

Speaking as a product of the 90's this definitely removed the haze of centimentality surrounding my views of pop-culture from decades past.

panopticon
14th September 2011, 12:53
G'day The One,

Adam Curtis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Curtis) is one of my favourite documentary makers (along with John Pilger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pilger) and here's the address for Pilger's weblog (http://www.johnpilger.com/)).
'The Century Of The Self (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Century_of_the_Self)' is from 2002 and is brilliant.
He really knows his stuff and taught politics at Oxford for awhile.
His weblog is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/

The Century Of The Self (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Century_of_the_Self) is available in one 4 hour video:

I would advise everyone who is interested to watch all his documentaries (they're on archive.org (http://archive.org)) as his in depth analysis of the 20th Century is extremely revealing.

Be aware he is not a conspiracy theorist and only talks about facts.
So while his views are at time quite mainstream (his documentaries are usually through the BBC) his analysis of history is, in my opinion anyway, brilliant. He frequently contradicts main stream understandings and may supply a different overview of 20th Century history for some "tough nuts".

An excellent suggested video The One! :clap2::high5:

Kind Regards, :yo:
Panopticon

Sources:
http://www.archive.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Century_of_the_Self
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Curtis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pilger
http://www.johnpilger.com/

Terra
27th September 2011, 10:06
Hi,

Please could we move this to Books, Videos, Articles, etc. section mods. where it will be seen more.
It is a brilliant documentary and needs more viewing, nice one for posting it The One. (sorry for the request bud, I just repeated the same post in another thread).

It is amazing to learn how and who created the model for our society we live in today. Makes me realise how we just go on repeating in circles, to conform to how they want us to be.
...and also how the big corporates rise to thier mammoth status through clever social engineering.

Thankyou.

Bill Ryan
11th February 2013, 03:40
-------

Part Three is the most riveting -- by far. Please see my post #5 (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?626-Century-of-the-Self-amazing-documentary-MUST-SEE&p=56592&viewfull=1#post56592) on the previous page.

This is the single most mind-blowing piece of documentary I've ever seen -- vitally important for our times. It tells the story about how the first attempt to take back the planet was defeated... by very cleverly targeted commercialism.

Carmody
11th February 2013, 06:13
The other show that puts meat on the bones of all this, including faces, is the film "The American Ruling Class'. The entire film is about the realities of today and what is going on today, in those corporations, government programs, and political offices. Seeing some of the people involved answer direct questions on this subject in a direct fashion....is not to be missed.

onawah
11th February 2013, 06:42
The whole documentary can be seen at this link:

Is this the one you were referring to, Carmody?:
-jxJv5Gebeo

Jean-Luc
11th February 2013, 09:45
-------

Part Three is the most riveting -- by far. Please see my post #5 (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?626-Century-of-the-Self-amazing-documentary-MUST-SEE&p=56592&viewfull=1#post56592) on the previous page.

This is the single most mind-blowing piece of documentary I've ever seen -- vitally important for our times. It tells the story about how the first attempt to take back the planet was defeated... by very cleverly targeted commercialism.

Amazing to see how many supposedly aware people have fallen into the trap of pseudo self-realization through materialism.

To echo what's being said at 2:54, I'm happy not to have been ever much dependant for my identity on stuff & business in any -- or to be honest, hardly -- sort of way.

Hence probably my fascination for the ease, when done with care and consciousness, with which you can be much self-reliant in hundreds of ways from sowing your own garden, to producing your own bread or yogurt, and inevitably, also producing your own energy :)

This then releases so much time for truly important things.

EYES WIDE OPEN
11th February 2013, 09:59
Here is the blog of Adam Curtis - they guy that made the doc. I have been using this doc to show media students for years.

I also recommend Power Of Nightmares here;
http://curtisnightmare.blogspot.co.uk/

It covers the rise of Islamism in the Arab world and how Neoconservatism in the United States needed to inflate a myth of a dangerous enemy in order to draw people to support them.

Amazing stuff.

Here is his wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Curtis

His most recent doc, "All watched over by loving machines" is also fantastic!

https://vimeo.com/groups/96331/videos/80799353

HaveBlue
11th February 2013, 10:01
If we buy their products, we are supporting it. It is hard and time consuming but I do try to find out about the companies I buy from. I will pay more if I have to within reason.

Money is a form of energy and we are personally responsible for who,what,where we give that energy.
I live on a below average income. It is enlightening to ask yourself 'do I need it or just want it'?

As David Icke says, they're only up there because we are holding them up there.

yuhui
11th February 2013, 10:04
Here is a documentary on similar theme:

"Consuming Kids: The Commercialization of Childhood is an in-depth look at how children are manipulated and exploited, every moment of every day, to become the best consumers possible."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMaRsR7orTk

Bill Ryan
11th February 2013, 13:17
-------

Many sincere thanks to all. I now have so many downloaded videos to watch that I'm going to have to take a month off. :)

panopticon
11th February 2013, 13:48
Good to see this thread resurrected.

I visit Adam Curtis' blog once a week to see if anything new has been added. His is the was reporting should be: always interesting (even if the subject isn't) and always knowledgeable.
He doesn't just connecting dots, he paints a Rembrandt.
Was just reading his article on Somalia and Algeria (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/posts/PARADIABOLICAL) during the 90's. I find it great the way he includes old BBC archive footage in his articles.

Then there's this write up for his semi-documentary (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/07/every_day_is_like_sunday.html) which is from July 2011 (follow link for documentary):

EVERY DAY IS LIKE SUNDAY: THE DOWNFALL OF A PRESS BARON

As we wait to see whether Rupert Murdoch will fall from power and lose control of News International, I thought I would tell the extraordinary and forgotten story of the dramatic downfall of the newspaper mogul who used to dominate Britain before Rupert Murdoch arrived.

Cecil King ran the Daily Mirror - along with over two hundred other papers and magazines - and was as powerful and influential in 1960s Britain as Murdoch would become in the 1980s. The Daily Mirror dominated Fleet Street - and politicians bowed down to its power and influence.

But in 1968 Cecil King became convinced that Britain was heading for disaster - and he decided to engineer what in effect would be a political coup. He was going to use the Daily Mirror to try and bring down the Labour government.

Many in the Labour Party have believed ever since that Cecil King was conspiring with members of MI5 to destroy the democratically elected government, but there appears to be no hard evidence for this.

The truth is that King was in league with more familiar "rogue elements" - senior City of London bankers, including the Governor of the Bank of England, who wanted to force the Labour government to slash the financial deficit. But the Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, was refusing to bow to their demands.

At the same time as this was happening, many of the journalists in Fleet Street were filled with a terrible doom about the future of newspapers. As a result the BBC got excited and went and made all sorts of films about newspapers - recording Fleet Street before it died. Some of the material they filmed is just wonderful - it is full of both touching and silly moments of an old world of journalism.

It also forms a fascinating backdrop to the strange story of Cecil King because much of the BBC material was shot inside the newsrooms of the Mirror, the Express, and the Times at the very moment King was planning his coup. So I decided to make a documentary film which both told the King story and also let some of the archive run longer than normal because it is so fascinating.

I have no idea who most of the journalists are who appear - but I'd love to find out.

Here it is. It's still a rough cut. As well as all the BBC stuff there is also a wonderful bit from the brilliant ITN Source archive - they kept the camera running as Harold Wilson rehearsed an address to the nation.
Source (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/07/every_day_is_like_sunday.html).
The fall of Cecil King led to the rise of Rupert Murdoch.
Things are never what they seem.
Kind Regards, :yo:
Panopticon

bram
11th February 2013, 14:52
Just finished watching episodes 2 & 3, this really is informative stuff.

Episode 2: its hard to imagine how anyone could be more wrong than the Freudians, particularly Anna, with her theory that conformism produces a strong ego, and a strong ego helps one control the destructive inner forces. In fact, it is the ego which is the source of these destructive forces, and conformism exacerbates the destructive impact enormously through the collective ego! It did help me to understand the dull conformism of the 1950s better tho, I had previously put this down to post-war austerity rather than a deliberate planned dullness.

Episode 3: hard to know where to begin. I had never previously understood the differences between the USA and the Britain I grew up in, this helped me to understand the States a bit better. It was a shame to see the energy of the 70s being so outplayed by the capitalists who managed to reinvent themselves and find a way to market individualism. Seems like it was material greed which was our undoing however, I think its fair to say we capitulated pretty easily when faced with a new range of hip products. Meh!

Last episode for me tomorrow ;)

Flash
11th February 2013, 15:25
Just watched all 4 episode last night. Another must for all Avalonian. More for those still caught in the New Age stuff. I truly appreciated. I will show it to friends, it seems the best way to introduce them to what is going on instead of having them resisting conspiracies.

Thanks to all, and to Bill, your comment Bill made me watch it right away.

sigma6
12th February 2013, 02:44
Great video, highly educational. This is where I got my definition of "politically correct" from... The idea that Edward Bernays was Freud's nephew. Man I read Freud's biography! Not a perfect man. An intuitive genius, and probably a coke addict, (the cigar was probably his 'balancer') But the psychological interpretations they were imposing on the public at the time... All the data collected over the decades that would be turned into the Big Brother State we are experiencing today... Not an accident. And the Muslim angle, I remember how disturbing that was (I think I need to see it again...)

And a philosophy of happiness through materialism? after your basic 'physical needs', what could further from the truth? This is all points to an underlying program of coming from underneath" playing to the ego, actually I would say more to the id, all that materialistic gratification, compare the average health of Americans (even in their ignorance and naivete) in the 50's to today. America fell to the centuries old and universal truth of the 7 deadly sins. It was a trap from the beginning. And everyone knows the cure to any addiction is not going to be pretty. Especially if it is cold turkey forced against one's will.

There is so much more to living a philosophically responsible life then just 'pursuing' happiness. It is about the journey and how it is arrived at through a discipline and understanding of mind. After a certain point, materialism is nothing more then feeding an addiction of denial of higher truth. That truth being that spiritual reality is the foundation of human existence, and the philosophical reasoning that follows. What defines a man as separate from an animal. I think someone knew what they were doing. Bernays was just another tool. The G Edward Griffith interview of Norman Dodd would support this idea.

Corncrake
12th February 2013, 09:05
Watching The Century of Self was one of my wake up moments and I really pleased to see it being viewed again here - John Pilger tells it how it is too.

There have been a few references made that Curtis doesn't do 'conspiracy'. Some of my favourite writers - eg George Monbiot, Greg Palast, Noam Chomsky and various others - incredible as it is - appear to believe the official line on 9/11, for example, which I find very frustrating. However, they all provide quite brilliant insight to other topics so, IMHO, it would be a mistake to dismiss their contributions on this one account.

bram
12th February 2013, 10:15
Episode 3: It was a shame to see the energy of the 70s being so outplayed by the capitalists who managed to reinvent themselves and find a way to market individualism. Seems like it was material greed which was our undoing however, I think its fair to say we capitulated pretty easily when faced with a new range of hip products. Meh!

On reflection, I have an issue with the facts presented in episode 3, which I though I might share here; it was presented in the program that the yippies, having been overwhelmed by the might of the state, got turned by the introduction of some clever marketing including presumably nike sports shoes and personal computers; Maslow's heirarchy of needs was introduced as the convenient explanation for how this happened (i.e. ''self-actualised'' people were attracted by the odious messages of the Thatcher Ray-Gun consortium). But there is something wrong here. This can't be.

I cant imagine any of my ex-hippie friends from this era voting for Thatcher just because they discovered new lines of clothing that allowed them to express their individuality. Without being remotely political, the peace and love movement was inherently left-wing; militarism, war, Thatcher's appalling dislike for the poor and the working classes and ultra snobbery just couldn't have won over the people I knew- unless those people themselves changed in a big way.

Maslow's theory itself is ethnocentric as it takes for granted a high regard for individualism; in this respect it is self-fulfilling prophecy. All it really says is that in an individualistic society, once people's basic needs are met, they will seek to express themselves in an individualistic and self absorbed manner. It doesn't account for collectivism, empathy or compassion and assumes that poor people have no higher ideals than basic survival, which is untrue.

So I am left with the suspicion that the majority of those people who thought they wanted to take back the world from the elite just sold out as soon as the going got tough; it didn't need new marketing ploys, it was the might of the state that inflicted an easy defeat and left them running home to their middle class families, planning new careers as investment bankers? Just thinking out loud really......

norman
12th February 2013, 12:37
All watched over by machines of loving grace - (Adam Curtis)

- Episode 1:

Love and power

https://vimeo.com/groups/96331/videos/80799353

bram
12th February 2013, 14:24
Hi all,

Just finished watching the final episode which nicely framed the dilemmas faced by the Labour Party and the Democrats now they have abandoned all their principles for a few pieces of silver; does anybody see a way forward from this mess I wonder?

I am left thinking that the theory we held in the 70s was probably the correct one, before we got sidetracked for 40 years or so- we need to individually raise our consciousness and if enough people can do so, it will impact the whole of society more than we might imagine- enough to start the global ascension.

WEAREONE
16th February 2013, 05:15
It seems to me that a very important idea to remember is that the government activley looked into the psych of the person, and the psych of the masses. The known studies and unknown studies conducted by our own government should be a wake up call to everyone that the war bieng waged has elements of psychology. I would like to know if there is any known psychologists in the freedom movement who know of the tactics bieng used and is able to point them out and then offer solutions or suggest defenses. In a sense is there a whistle blower out there who is trained in the psychology field?? Any links or videos would be helpful.