PDA

View Full Version : Carmen's Crew

Carmen
25th August 2013, 00:57
First of all I will outline briefly how I think the format of this focused group may develop.

As I have stated on Bill's thread I wish to bring on board my sustainable farming teacher and that will have to wait for another two weeks as he is away teaching in Australia. He is a great guy and a very able researcher and writer. I cannot presume that he will come on board but he is passionate about sustainable farming and the last DVD he had us watch was all about GMos and the gutsy scientists trying very hard to get their well researched evidence on the dangers of GMOs published.

The more scientific info we can put on this forum the better it will be because people need to come from the basis of informed knowledge on the subject. I know I struggle with the science but the more I study it the easier it becomes. This knowledge base will also serve to aid us in how we should approach changing things on a physical, material level.

Now, on a spiritual level I envision a group focus. This maybe a daily focus of a relatively short duration (or people may just fling their hands in the air and state they haven't time!) I am open to suggestions. Not sure about approaching individuals about coming on board? I would prefer they joined of their own volition. I've been on this forum for a long time but in the last year or so I've been mostly a watcher.

I'm not one for big long posts, I mostly say what I want in short bursts. I would like the info that goes onto this thread to be easily understandable and not too long. That's from what I put on, not necessarily others. You may please yourself. I like a venture to include everyone's creativity and input so that all participants see the project as theirs, with no particular leadership. Each person leads when they are inspired to.

Bubu
25th August 2013, 03:28
I'm a farmer I can assure you nature is the best teacher. "Comprehend and copy nature" It would be great to have people that have learned from nature but they are not a requirement. What is it that you want to know or would want to do? Anyways go for the simplicity. "Science" in farming sounds complicated to me. I normally just sit in the bush and observe how plants interacts and complements each other. There is not much science there.

Truth dwells in simplicity while decite hides in complexity

Carmen
25th August 2013, 03:43
I'm also a farmer and my approach to the GMO question would start from a farming perspective. Nature, I wish to learn from others experiences of farming naturally and also to offer my own perspective as to my farming methods and experiences. My daughter and I farm in partnership here in New Zealand. Holistic Management is Allan Savoury's method. He has a wonderful Ted Talk from February of this year. This is the farming method I am applying on my farm.

Where are you farming, what sort of stock do you farm? Please feel free to share with us your experiences.

ulli
25th August 2013, 07:37
Wow, his talk is getting a lot of views....nearly 1.5 million already. I'm glad. Most impressive of all TED talks...

http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_green_the_world_s_deserts_and_ reverse_climate_change.html

Thanks for the reminder, Carmen.

vpTHi7O66pI

Carmen
25th August 2013, 07:40
Yeah, thanks Ulli. Allan is very inspirational. To me what he is talking about is the future of agriculture.

Corncrake
25th August 2013, 08:56
Thanks for posting such an honest, interesting and inspirational 'talk'. Really enjoyed it. So good too to hear you are following his lead. Staying on a farm some years ago with my children I was dismayed to see so many containers of pesticides and fertilizers stored in the barns all marked with 'dangerous chemicals' signs. The owner rolled her eyes when I asked about them and said they saved so much labour. Thereafter we only visited organic farms but they do have a struggle to compete in this heavily subsidised industry.

Some time ago I came across another inspiring video on the forum (Nomadguy's Food Foresting thread which was on the same topic:

John D Liu's Green Gold http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLZmwlPa8A

Carmen
25th August 2013, 13:24
It's been a really interesting system to implement. I do have a thread on it that I add to every so often. One of the observations we are making at the moment is that springs are bigger than last year (when we started). With allowing grass to grow to its full height the roots of the grasses go down as deep as the grass grows high. This means that rainwater does not run off the land. It is retained in the soil and the water table rises. This drought proofs holistically managed farms to a huge degree. Streams that would normally go dry in the summer start to run all year round. This is very exciting to observe.

Carmen
25th August 2013, 13:43
My first 'action' to this undertaking, is to contact the vet in New Zealand who has questioned Fonterra's stated cause of the contamination in their plant. This will be to offer support for his investigation. He has stated in his article that he is part of an international investigation into GMO safety.

sirdipswitch
25th August 2013, 17:31
Were it not for GMO, we would still be harry creatures chassin elephants for dinner. chuckle chucklechuckle.

doodah
25th August 2013, 17:56
First of all I will outline briefly how I think the format of this focused group may develop.

Now, on a spiritual level I envision a group focus. This maybe a daily focus of a relatively short duration (or people may just fling their hands in the air and state they haven't time!) I am open to suggestions. Not sure about approaching individuals about coming on board? I would prefer they joined of their own volition. I've been on this forum for a long time but in the last year or so I've been mostly a watcher.

Carmen, I'd like to join your focus group. I have deep concerns about all the GMOs - the laboratory produced hybrids which contain genetic material that is not native to plants!

I'll follow this thread to see how it develops that you want to work. I like the idea of a group working together in meditation or visualization for a specific end. It would be great to have a schedule of some sort, with topics to focus on for a specific period of time, if that's how you decide to work.

If this thread is to be primarily a how-to-farm thread, that would not be my specific interest at this moment. I'm already an organic gardener and agree with nature that if we observe carefully, Nature is teaching us all the time.

Do you want us to also PM you that we are interested in joining?

Spirithorse
25th August 2013, 18:33
Back in January, Nenuphar posted a thread called Back to Eden gardening Method.
http://www.backtoedenfilm.com/#movie

I really enjoyed watching the video (if you, like me, don't have the fastest computer, it helps to switch off HD)
Basically it's a similar approach of covering the soil to retain water and increase fertility. I'm really keen on applying the method myself once I have access to a garden plot.
Please note the film has quite a religious overtone, so be warned - but whatever you want to call things, working in harmony with nature always brings the best results - whether you get your insights from tuning into nature or believing the Lord told you so... it's the result that counts.

MorningSong
25th August 2013, 20:53
Thank-you, Carmen, for the iniziative.... I'm tagging along. I have enjoyed your thread on Holistic Management and love it when you update your experience. It would be great to have some input from your mentor.

I am enjoying the present thread so far with all of the other folk's contributions of sustainable agriculture, as well.

Although I operate on a small personalized scale as a "backyard gardener", I too often have felt that some day I will be called upon to share my understands of botanics and wildcrafting and, especially, self-sufficient gardening to re-build ( I faint to whisper....) society, human dignity and civilization (I can't believe I finally got that out... ).

Yes, the time has come to come out of my shell.

Carmen
25th August 2013, 21:23
Sirdipswitch, I'm sure you are not but please don't live up to the forum name you have given yourself!! I have contacted my teacher and he has agreed to join and post info for us on the GMO debate. He has scheduled a screening of a film about GMOs at Canterbury University this Tuesday so he is quite passionate about educating people about the subject.

This info will give you a better understanding Sirdipswitch on how GMOs work and how bloody dangerous they are.

Carmen
25th August 2013, 21:37
Thank you Doodah and Morningsong. Maybe our focus group could be part of Chinaski's initiative? And I could use this thread to provide info, videos, etc on the subject. What do you think? I'm quite happy to set up a focus group also but maybe we are doubling up here. We are all focused on the same subject huh!

Bubu
25th August 2013, 21:48
I'm also a farmer and my approach to the GMO question would start from a farming perspective. Nature, I wish to learn from others experiences of farming naturally and also to offer my own perspective as to my farming methods and experiences. My daughter and I farm in partnership here in New Zealand. Holistic Management is Allan Savoury's method. He has a wonderful Ted Talk from February of this year. This is the farming method I am applying on my farm.

Where are you farming, what sort of stock do you farm? Please feel free to share with us your experiences.

Yes I believe that is just what I have said to learn from nature means to respect it, If that is what you mean by holistic approach. I joined the GMO team of Chinaski. Farming really interest me. Make clear what you want to do with the team and how will it be done so we can decide whether to join or not.

Yes I will write a summary of the most important things I have learned on growing human food forest when time permits.

Carmen
25th August 2013, 21:54
Nature, if you look at the video Ulli posted on post four you will understand better what I am doing on my farm. My friend and teacher John I'm sure will post some great videos on the concepts of managing land holistically.

Bill Ryan
25th August 2013, 22:39
--------

We're proud to welcome to the forum John King, whose new profile is here:

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/member.php?19027-john-king

Carmen knows him and has highly recommended him. His website is http://www.succession.co.nz. (http://www.succession.co.nz)

Bubu
26th August 2013, 12:08
Nature, if you look at the video Ulli posted on post four you will understand better what I am doing on my farm. My friend and teacher John I'm sure will post some great videos on the concepts of managing land holistically.

How to fight desertification and reverse climate change

change is constant, I can't understand why people would want to stop climate change, I'd rather go with it "live like water?"

My knowledge of farming can be pretty much summarize in one book page. Here is the most important.

Forest are created because seeds are brought in. Since it is the animals that brought in the seeds it becomes an animal food forest. I wanted to make a human food forest so most of the seeds from our kitchen goes into the seed trays then scattered or stored for planting. Think how many fruit trees could there be if all of the seeds in the kitchen is put back to the soil instead of the garbage dump.

Sorry I have gotten tired of book makers mostly they are writers and not the real thing. I would not want to waste my time on this.

Bubu
26th August 2013, 12:18
reversing climate change is not a holistic approach it's going against nature

MorningSong
26th August 2013, 13:09
Nature, it would appear that you are a bit confused as to what is one of the biggest aspects of "climate change" when it comes down to ecology and that is human intervention. I can't help but ask myself if you watched the numerous videos that our friends have offered on this thread.

You admit that you don't know much about farming, yet you are saving seed? For what, I wonder, if you have no idea how to farm them. Yes, plants are farmed if they are planted on purpose by man. I'm not sure many other animals deposit seeds intentionally for their own future restaurants.

Here is a great article from Mother Earth News that explains a lot about the need to change our mentality....

http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/developing-an-ecomind-ze0z1308zsau.aspx?newsletter=1&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=HE%20eNews&utm_campaign=08.26.2013%20HE#axzz2d4zlpdZf

doodah
26th August 2013, 13:37
Thank you Doodah and Morningsong. Maybe our focus group could be part of Chinaski's initiative? And I could use this thread to provide info, videos, etc on the subject. What do you think? I'm quite happy to set up a focus group also but maybe we are doubling up here. We are all focused on the same subject huh!

Hi Carmen, that sounds good, to maybe join this focus group with Chinaski's initiative (for those of us more interested in working from the "remote spiritual assistance" perspective), and using this thread for general and practical info. You've got some really interesting info here already.

sirdipswitch
26th August 2013, 15:33
Sirdipswitch, I'm sure you are not but please don't live up to the forum name you have given yourself!! I have contacted my teacher and he has agreed to join and post info for us on the GMO debate. He has scheduled a screening of a film about GMOs at Canterbury University this Tuesday so he is quite passionate about educating people about the subject.

This info will give you a better understanding Sirdipswitch on how GMOs work and how bloody dangerous they are.

oops!!! I do apologise for my ill placed humor.

More on topic is something I read that really scares me. Tomatoes... that produce their own insecticide. And the main problem I see with GMO's and why they get by with little concern, is the fact that they won't kill you today, but may shorten our life considerably.

Carmen
28th August 2013, 00:31
I have spoken to John King this morning. He has been too busy to post on Avalon yet,but he should
find the time today. I had to complete my final assignment before I felt to ring him!! He said he had about seventy people at his showing of a movie about the dangers of GMO. I'm sorry I have seen this movie but can't for the life of me remember the name of it! The outcome was that a group was formed to spread the the word I guess. Informed people make intelligent descisions!