PDA

View Full Version : Is East TN, Virginia, Carolinas’, Appalachia Your Neck of the Woods?

blufire
26th August 2013, 22:18
I realized today that Fred Steeves and I are about 1.5 hours from each other, if we were to meet at a halfway point. Halfway between us would be Bristol TN/VA or Johnson City, TN.

I have not proposed this idea to him yet, but thought what the heck . . . . let’s see just how many Avalon members are in this area and if they would like to meet up?

I have thought about this many times since moving back to Virginia. Actually I hosted several gatherings of ‘Ground Crew’ members on my Kansas farm several years ago.

I think considering what is just around the corner, knowing just where your best allies are would be a highly valuable asset. Not to mention just having a really great time!

I’ll bring the ‘shine . . . .been saving the good stuff for such an occasion.

Anybody else interested?

thunder24
26th August 2013, 22:55
i live an hour from J.C. and 45 from bristol ( bristol baby...wwwwwwwwwwoooooooo), and i know there are some in north carolina might b interested...
i need that recipe... ;)
peace

Bill Ryan
26th August 2013, 22:58
I think considering what is just around the corner

What's 'just around the corner', as best you know, believe, suspect or understand?

This is an honest-to-god, straight-as-an-arrow question. I would love to know what you think may be ahead.

Camilo
26th August 2013, 23:04
I realized today that Fred Steeves and I are about 1.5 hours from each other, if we were to meet at a halfway point. Halfway between us would be Bristol TN/VA or Johnson City, TN.

I have not proposed this idea to him yet, but thought what the heck . . . . let’s see just how many Avalon members are in this area and if they would like to meet up?

I have thought about this many times since moving back to Virginia. Actually I hosted several gatherings of ‘Ground Crew’ members on my Kansas farm several years ago.

I think considering what is just around the corner, knowing just where your best allies are would be a highly valuable asset. Not to mention just having a really great time!

Anybody else interested?

I thought he lived somewhere in FL.

thunder24
26th August 2013, 23:07
we have a lot of floridiots move up here....mom and dad were a couple.....

Anybody else interested?

I thought he lived somewhere in FL.

Snookie
26th August 2013, 23:26
Fred moved about 6 months ago from FL to TN, not sure if concerns about the predicted global coastal event were a factor or not.

blufire
26th August 2013, 23:33

What's 'just around the corner', as best you know, believe, suspect or understand?

This is an honest-to-god, straight-as-an-arrow question. I would love to know what you think may be ahead.

Bill and All,

Your question is a highly important and urgent one.

So important that I feel strongly I need to give it appropriate time and lengthy answer. I actually have voiced my views and they are spread in various threads, but I feel a localized thread would be more prudent.

I spent way too much time on the forum Saturday and am currently way behind in several things in living a self sustained lifestyle. I will be up into the morning hours canning and freezing vegetables and fruit.

I will try to start a thread tomorrow and begin fleshing out what I now see our future to be.

blufire
26th August 2013, 23:41
Also too. . . . .

In my inquiring about other Avalon members in the area and even those not so near.

I actually will consider after meeting and visiting other Avalon members, several times in public places, opening my home here in the hills to those serious about what our future holds and alternatives in ‘truly living’.

It’s time to join together and love and support one another.

Kano
27th August 2013, 00:18
Sounds great, Bluefire. I am about 2 hours East of Asheville so not sure how that is from you but I would be interested in nice East Tennessee ho-down. You bring the shine and I'll bring the banjo!

thunder24
27th August 2013, 01:18
Sounds great, Bluefire. I am about 2 hours East of Asheville so not sure how that is from you but I would be interested in nice East Tennessee ho-down. You bring the shine and I'll bring the banjo!

if you go to ashville and hit 26, your about 3 hours from j.c. or i should say if you go through ashville from where you are it will b about 3 hours.

AlaBil
27th August 2013, 01:30

Bill and All,

Your question is a highly important and urgent one.

So important that I feel strongly I need to give it appropriate time and lengthy answer. I actually have voiced my views and they are spread in various threads, but I feel a localized thread would be more prudent.

I spent way too much time on the forum Saturday and am currently way behind in several things in living a self sustained lifestyle. I will be up into the morning hours canning and freezing vegetables and fruit.

I will try to start a thread tomorrow and begin fleshing out what I now see our future to be.

blufire... I will be looking forward to your thread. I appreciate everyone's opinion and information about what's around the corner. I can feel it closer day by day. Thanks for the coming effort.

CD7
27th August 2013, 02:18

HEY I resemble tht remark!! hehe

Wish I lived closer!

gittarpikk
27th August 2013, 02:57
Well don't git yer panties in a wad fer Fred... I live just south of Knoxville and only 15 minutes from him...suggested we meet up sometime...and that was 2 months ago....Not real sure he would drive a while to meet...maybe , dunno....sure didn't happen in my instance.,maybe y'all have better luck.

gittarpikk
27th August 2013, 03:06

Hi Bill, I've been gleaning info from many good sources for many years, thought that things were really moving last year about this time....but am seeing so much info of late , its more like on an exponential curve IMO, multiples of hundred of times more info than just a year ago. Everything I am seeing is pointing to Sept 1st to Oct 1st. I don't think we have long to wait til we all know.

doodah
27th August 2013, 03:08
Blufire, I'm not sure exactly where you are, but I think I'd be east of you. I'm in Virginia, between Roanoke and Blacksburg. I also know of a past-Avalonian down in NC near Marshall. He might be interested if he can get away. Last I heard he was helping build a house that was way behind schedule because they had so much rain early in the summer.

I'd like to suggest that we meet in some public place that does not have diesel fumes, if possible.

heretogrow
27th August 2013, 04:06
Blufire, I am in western Maryland. If you follow the Appalachian mountain range up you will find me just bordering Allegany and Garrett county. People make fun of us here and Maryland really doesn't even consider us part of the state. To them we are true hillbillies, but I can attest that many good people live here. We are very self-sufficient although I can't claim to have mastered sustainable living. I have really tried tho in the past few years. I would love to meet up but just in case the SHTF could you enlighten us here about the facts concerning what you think will happen. I need to know how to prepare to help as many as I can. Around here it is not just about us, it is about neighbors. That means a lot more persuading and preparing. I can't name one family that I would not want to help survive.

Fred Steeves
27th August 2013, 11:18
Well well bluefire, aren't you just full of surprises, great idea! I've only met four other Avalonians face to face, and would be pleased as punch to be a part of a get together. Hillbilly style! (LOL) Been working on old Uncle Thunder to do just that, but we've both been pretty busy working on our new houses.

We're officially moving into our new place out in the boonies Oct. 1st, so absolutely *no* free time til then. After that things should open up a bit, just a matter of finding a good time and place for everyone huh?

Outstanding! I'm just about out of the jar of good ole Tennessee shine I was able to score a ways back. Sounds like a winner! :yes4:

I actually will consider after meeting and visiting other Avalon members, several times in public places, opening my home here in the hills to those serious about what our future holds and alternatives in ‘truly living’.

We'd be more than happy to take you up on that as well, as it's our goal to learn to be as self sufficient as possible. For instance we'll be trying our hand at gardening come next spring, then canning, etc...This stuff is a LOT to learn, basically a whole new education. A very valuable education at that.

Excellent Kano, would love to meet you too. Do you promise to do the "Deliverance" number fer us!

Well don't git yer panties in a wad fer Fred... I live just south of Knoxville and only 15 minutes from him...suggested we meet up sometime...and that was 2 months ago....Not real sure he would drive a while to meet...maybe , dunno....sure didn't happen in my instance.,maybe y'all have better luck.

Hey, are you picking on me? (LOL) Seriously though, I think we just had us a little "failure to communicate". Of course I'd love to meet up, I'll pm you.

I'm in Virginia, between Roanoke and Blacksburg. I also know of a past-Avalonian down in NC near Marshall. He might be interested if he can get away.

Doodah's in too, alright! I didn't know you were that close. rmauersr lives in Virginia as well, about 5 hours from us. I'll pm him about this thread.

I would love to meet up

So you're in then? Funny, I never thought of *any* part of Maryland as hillbilly.

HEY I resemble tht remark!! hehe

Wish I lived closer!

Get out Christine, escape...(LOL)

Fred moved about 6 months ago from FL to TN, not sure if concerns about the predicted global coastal event were a factor or not.

No Snookie, nothing like that. I don't light my hair on fire over predictions any more. It was more a combination of disturbing trends great and small, and a need to return to some old fashioned living with the Earth.

heretogrow
27th August 2013, 13:54
Yes Fred, I am in and would love to meet up. We are true Hillbillies up here. We are nestled in between three mountains. Dan's, Savage, and Jackson mountains where I live. From down state you have to travel through a manmade cut in the mountain range called Sideling Hill. Maryland likes to pretend we are part of West Virginia and they don't really claim us, which suits me just fine! There is a cave, the largest in Garret county, where my ancestors made their "shine". The state came and removed his homemade ladder from this cave and put a fence around it so no one can enter now.

I have a funny story my grandmother used to tell about her aunt who lived on that property.

When my grandmother was a young girl, "Pop", her father, got a model T Ford and they road out for him to get some shine. Her aunt was sitting on the front porch in her rocker when they got out and walked onto the porch. Not too long after, the aunty's dress and apron caught on fire. Here she thought it was the preacher coming to get some shine as he was the only one she knew of that had a car so she hurried and stuck her pipe under her dress!

PS- We prefer to use the more refined term...redneck! LOL

Amysenthia
27th August 2013, 14:06
Hi Bluefire,

I live in Ohio only about 45 from West Virginia border. I visit a brother that lives in North Carolina and have driven through Bristol/JC many times. It takes about 8 hours to get there. However, maybe we can meet if you ever want to drive North. I would be happy to meet up with everyone either way.

doodah
27th August 2013, 17:04
Er, um, ah ... are we required to be hillbillies in order to attend? I come from 7 generations of North Carolina farmers and 1 generation of Italian immigrants, not exactly your traditional hillbilly mix. However, I am totally Earth-centered and would consider that my strongest link to all those here. Will that do? I'll bring some drums.

Also, if y'all are going to do the shine, I'm going to smoke. I smoke tobacco. I just want to say that up front in case somebody has some severe prohibitions against it.

A meeting after October sounds good to me, and I think the guy I know in NC might also be free by then. October ... if the world hasn't imploded by then, after all the hair-raising info that's making the rounds. Please, everyone, do some heavy-duty work for calm in the world!

thunder24
27th August 2013, 17:33
do you realize what a mix created us er um "mountain folk"....lol..... all mixes accepted, and required....

Er, um, ah ... are we required to be hillbillies in order to attend? I come from 7 generations of North Carolina farmers and 1 generation of Italian immigrants, not exactly your traditional hillbilly mix. However, I am totally Earth-centered and would consider that my strongest link to all those here. Will that do? I'll bring some drums.

Also, if y'all are going to do the shine, I'm going to smoke. I smoke tobacco. I just want to say that up front in case somebody has some severe prohibitions against it.

A meeting after October sounds good to me, and I think the guy I know in NC might also be free by then. October ... if the world hasn't imploded by then, after all the hair-raising info that's making the rounds. Please, everyone, do some heavy-duty work for calm in the world! Im a first generation hillbilly...lol

heretogrow
27th August 2013, 20:42
I just checked with google maps and I am 378 miles away from Bristol. I am an hour east of Morgantown. Boo Hiss. Oh well if there is a will there is a way. And Doodah if you are smoking then I am too!

Ron Mauer Sr
27th August 2013, 21:53
I am near Lovingston, VA:

32 miles NE of Lynchburg, VA.
234 miles NE of Bristol, VA.

There are several reasons that discourage the old man from traveling. But it would be fun.

Hard to find like minds locally who are interested in discussing such a variety of Avalonian topics.

I can tolerate outdoor smoke if I am upwind. I rarely drink alcohol. Don't even like beer. (Past life experience as an alcoholic I've been told.)

It feels so good to say that Nelson County has only one stoplight! That is getting close to being genuine "redneck".

Fred Steeves
27th August 2013, 22:02
And Doodah if you are smoking then I am too!

Well I just quit (again) yesterday, but regardless I'm always a succor for hanging out in the smoking area.

doodah
28th August 2013, 02:14
Hey Fred, don't feel pressured... if you non-smokers can be cool with the smokers, the smokers will be very courteous.

Heretogrow, rmauersr ... how about the idea of a caravan? Heretogrow, if you can get to rmauersr; and then get to me, we can carpool together in stages. It would require some good coordination, but it might be possible and it would make the trip more fun.

Ron Mauer Sr
28th August 2013, 03:28
Hey Fred, don't feel pressured... if you non-smokers can be cool with the smokers, the smokers will be very courteous.

Heretogrow, rmauersr ... how about the idea of a caravan? Heretogrow, if you can get to rmauersr; and then get to me, we can carpool together in stages. It would require some good coordination, but it might be possible and it would make the trip more fun.

I would not want to commit to a road trip. My big dogs and dislike of travel put a damper on going far for long.

But I do want to be kept in the loop.

heretogrow
29th August 2013, 02:59
Hello to all,
It is with a heavy heart I am going to have to pass on this adventurous meeting up. It would have been wonderful to meet you and I am feeling very much at a loss because I won't be able to do this in October. My Grandma has cancer and although I have suggested alternative treatment methods she has decided to take radiation and chemo 5 days a week for 5 weeks consecutively beginning at the end of September. I have offered to take her to her treatments. She is 90 and I am not sure how bad this is going to be for her.
She is a sweetheart, full or vim and vigor, doesn't even where depends yet, and she is so proud she won't let anyone help her. I am humbled that she chose me to be her companion down this harrowing path.

SO promise me, after you meet up you will all let me know how it goes. And then we will get on this early next summer and make arrangements to meet up then so that I can finally be with friends of a feather. Doodah if at all possible in the summer we will carpool! That sounds great!

I love you all and have a ball without me. ANd remember the "shine" can set your toes on fire so tread gently my friends!

Much Love,
Julia

doodah
29th August 2013, 03:55
Wow, Julia/heretogrow ... your grandmother sure sounds like she's got the hillbilly spirit, that fierce independence I know a lot about because I've got it, too, from my mother's people (who wouldn't call themselves hillbillies, but it's the same idea).

You have an important assignment now. I can understand how you would feel humbled to accompany her on this leg of her journey. I'm sure all of us here send blessings to you and her, for the highest good!

Blufire must be busy canning and preserving and writing up what she sees coming down the pike, per Bill's request. When she gets back to this thread, maybe we'll be able to make a definite plan about when and where. If it's possible to carpool at some point, I'd love that. I really hate traveling alone!

Be well, take care, and best thoughts for a positive outcome for your grandmother,

Doodah in the Woods

heretogrow
30th August 2013, 02:37
Thanks Doodah! We will try to get together and carpool next summer for sure!

PS- My grandma is feisty and full of spunk but she would never admit to being from hillbilly stock! LOL! She had an outhouse up until I was in seventh grade that she called the Suzy, because she didn't want any one to know she had a outdoor John!!

doodah
30th August 2013, 03:08
Very funny! I'm from 7 generations of North Carolina farmers... up until electricity. My grandfather refused to electrify the old farmhouse or put in modern plumbing. When he died none of his 7 children wanted to be farmers anymore. I am currently the only organic gardener in what's left of the extended family. So sad!

thunder24
3rd September 2013, 00:32
bluefire you still canning, and drying and freezing...... bumping???

sygh
3rd September 2013, 02:57
I am near Lovingston, VA:

32 miles NE of Lynchburg, VA.
234 miles NE of Bristol, VA.

There are several reasons that discourage the old man from traveling. But it would be fun.

Hard to find like minds locally who are interested in discussing such a variety of Avalonian topics.

I can tolerate outdoor smoke if I am upwind. I rarely drink alcohol. Don't even like beer. (Past life experience as an alcoholic I've been told.)

It feels so good to say that Nelson County has only one stoplight! That is getting close to being genuine "redneck".

Sounds like it's getting crowded up there, bubba. I prefer to buy my cuppa joe where I buy my worms, and get my hair done at Wanda's Hair Salon and Oil Lube and Change. I could get all of the above in the city at Wal-Mart but Wanda's stories are so much better than what I hear at Wally's.

sygh
3rd September 2013, 03:07
Wow, Julia/heretogrow ... your grandmother sure sounds like she's got the hillbilly spirit, that fierce independence I know a lot about because I've got it, too, from my mother's people (who wouldn't call themselves hillbillies, but it's the same idea).

You have an important assignment now. I can understand how you would feel humbled to accompany her on this leg of her journey. I'm sure all of us here send blessings to you and her, for the highest good!

Blufire must be busy canning and preserving and writing up what she sees coming down the pike, per Bill's request. When she gets back to this thread, maybe we'll be able to make a definite plan about when and where. If it's possible to carpool at some point, I'd love that. I really hate traveling alone!

Be well, take care, and best thoughts for a positive outcome for your grandmother,

Doodah in the Woods

Just remember, if you doo in dah woods, bury it deep. ;)

sherron44
3rd September 2013, 16:42
Ya'll are funny! I am from Mayberry, NC

heretogrow
4th September 2013, 21:55
Has anyone been in touch with blufire? She seems to have disappeared into the wild!