PDA

View Full Version : Syria and the Nabucco Pipeline Project -- the Bitter Smell of War for Natural Gas

Tesla_WTC_Solution
2nd September 2013, 00:31
Back when people were going nuts over the BP gulf of Mexico oil spill debacle, I was writing about natural gas and how multinational corporations are not above starting yet another war over resources.

I'd found some information on Wikipedia in 2007-2008, describing the multi-trillion dollar natural gas pipeline routes being built across the Middle East. While Obama was running for president the first time, I couldn't stop thinking about this Nabucco project. And the weird thing about it was, I'd found that page on wikipedia by complete accident and to that point had absolutely no interest in natural gas beyond my family's mineral rights in Kentucky.

Anyway, I decided to write an article about BP/Nabucco a few months before the 2012 Olympics. In fact it wasn't long after the Arc-Mittal Loop sculpture was commissioned that I started writing the article. It wasn't much, but it showed that while we were being distracted by the oil spill on our doorstep, there was a very sinister storm brewing over Syria.

I couldn't stop thinking of Ezekiel and his visions of the end times at Khabur. As many of you know, the Khabur Triangle is a well-known part of Syria and the old site of the tower of Babel. I have no idea what really happened at Babel, but something tells me it was horrible. The modern day Babel, I supposed, is globalization of resource management (hoarding). People from lots of countries are turning traitor for money and putting the populations of their own countries at risk over this pipeline.

All the multibillion dollar investors in BP and related companies are undoubtedly watching this conflict.

Not to mention Putin and Russia -- they stand to gain hugely from instability in the Syrian region as well because they currently hold the natural gas monopoly that Europe is trying to break.

When I published my anti-BP article and dropped dime about Nabucco and the war that's coming, my blog Nuclearnuttery got 300 views in one day. That was about as many as I was then used to seeing in a week or a month. But because I wrote about Nabucco, people from all over the world starting pinging my website.

Global Research did an article on this subject in June 2013:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-geopolitics-of-gas-and-the-syrian-crisis-syrian-opposition-armed-to-thwart-construction-of-iran-iraq-syria-gas-pipeline/5337452

The Geopolitics of Gas and the Syrian Crisis: Syrian “Opposition” Armed to Thwart Construction of Iran-Iraq-Syria Gas Pipeline

By Dmitry Minin
Global Research, June 03, 2013
Strategic Culture Foundation 31 May 2013
Region: Asia, Middle East & North Africa
Theme: Oil and Energy, US NATO War Agenda
In-depth Report: SYRIA: NATO'S NEXT WAR?

What has one of the most democratic countries of the Middle East, Syria, done to tick off some of its neighbors in the West, the fierce fighters for democracy? The irrationality and unscrupulousness of the approaches Western countries have taken to the Syrian crisis, when the same people who in Europe are considered terrorists are declared «freedom fighters» when it comes to Syria, becomes clearer in light of the economic dimension of the Syrian tragedy. There is every reason to think that by helping destroy its own cultural and historical roots in Syria, Europe is first and foremost fighting for energy resources. And a special role is played by natural gas, which is emerging as the main fuel of the 21st century. The geopolitical problems connected with its production, transportation and use are perhaps more than any other topic on the radar of Western strategists.

In the apt expression of F. William Engdahl, «Natural gas is the flammable ingredient that is fueling this insane scramble for energy in the region.» A battle is raging over whether pipelines will go toward Europe from east to west, from Iran and Iraq to the Mediterranean coast of Syria, or take a more northbound route from Qatar and Saudi Arabia via Syria and Turkey. Having realized that the stalled Nabucco pipeline, and indeed the entire Southern Corridor, are backed up only by Azerbaijan’s reserves and can never equal Russian supplies to Europe or thwart the construction of the South Stream, the West is in a hurry to replace them with resources from the Persian Gulf. Syria ends up being a key link in this chain, and it leans in favor of Iran and Russia; thus it was decided in the Western capitals that its regime needs to change. The fight for «democracy» is a false flag thrown out to cover up totally different aims.

It is not difficult to notice that the rebellion in Syria began to grow two years ago, almost at the same time as the signing of a memorandum in Bushehr on June 25, 2011 regarding the construction of a new Iran-Iraq-Syria gas pipeline… It is to stretch 1500 km from Asaluyeh on the largest gas field in the world, North Dome/South Pars (shared between Qatar and Iran) to Damascus. The length of pipeline on the territory of Iran will be 225 km, in Iraq 500 km, and in Syria 500-700 km. Later it may be extended along the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea to Greece. The possibility of supplying liquefied gas to Europe via Syria’s Mediterranean ports is also under consideration. Investments in this project equal 10 billion dollars. (1)

This pipeline, dubbed the «Islamic pipeline», was supposed to start operation in the period from 2014 to 2016. Its projected capacity is 110 million cubic meters of gas per day (40 billion cubic meters a year). Iraq, Syria and Lebanon have already declared their need for Iranian gas (25-30 million cubic meters per day for Iraq, 20-25 million cubic meters for Syria, and 5-7 million cubic meters until 2020 for Lebanon). Some of the gas will be supplied via the Arab gas transportation system to Jordan. Experts believe that this project could be an alternative to the Nabucco gas pipeline being promoted by the European Union (with a planned capacity of 30 billion cubic meters of gas per year), which doesn’t have sufficient reserves. It was planned to run the Nabucco pipeline from Iraq, Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan through the territory of Turkey. At first Iran was also considered as a resource base, but later it was excluded from the project. After the signing of the memorandum on the Islamic Pipeline, the head of the National Iranian Gas Company (NIGC), Javad Oji, stated that South Pars, with recoverable reserves of 16 trillion cubic meters of gas, is a «reliable source of gas, which is a prerequisite for the building of a pipeline which Nabucco does not have».It is easy to observe that about 20 billion cubic meters per year will remain from this pipeline for Europe, which would be able to compete with Nabucco’s 30 billion, but not the 63 billion from the South Stream.

A gas pipeline from Iran would be highly profitable for Syria. Europe would gain from it as well, but clearly someone in the West didn’t like it. The West’s gas-supplying allies in the Persian Gulf weren’t happy with it either, nor was would-be no. 1 gas transporter Turkey, as it would then be out of the game. The new «unholy alliance» which formed between them shamelessly declared its goal to be «protecting democratic values» in the Middle East, although logically speaking the U.S. and its allies ought to begin this with their own partners in the coalition against Syria from among the monarchies of the Persian Gulf, which are questionable in this regard.

The Sunnite countries also see the Islamic Pipeline from the viewpoint of interconfessional contradictions, considering it a «Shiite pipeline from Shiite Iran through the territory of Iraq with its Shiite majority and into the territory of Shiite-friendly Alawite Asad». As renowned researcher on energy issues F. William Engdahl writes, this geopolitical drama is intensified by the fact that the South Pars field lies in the Persian Gulf directly on the border between Shiite Iran and Sunnite Qatar. But tiny Qatar, which is no match for Iran in power, makes active use of its connections with the military presence of the U.S. and NATO in the Persian Gulf. On the territory of Qatar are a command node of the Pentagon’s Central Command of the U.S. Armed Forces, the headquarters of the Head Command of the U.S. Air Force, the No. 83 Expeditionary Air Group of the British Air Force and the 379th Air Expeditionary Wing of the U.S. Air Force. Qatar, in Engdahl’s opinion, has other plans for its share in the South Pars gas field and is not eager to join efforts with Iran, Syria and Iraq. It is not at all interested in the success of an Iran-Iraq-Syria pipeline, which would be completely independent of the transit routes of Qatar or Turkey leading to Europe. In fact, Qatar is doing all it can to thwart the construction of the pipeline, including arming the «opposition» fighters in Syria, many of whom come from Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Libya. (2)

Qatar’s resolve is fed by the discovery by Syrian geological exploration companies in 2011 of Syria’s own large gas-producing area near the Lebanese border, not far from the Mediterranean port of Tartus which Russia leases, and the detection of a significant gas field near Homs. According to preliminary estimates, these discoveries should substantially increase the country’s gas reserves, which previously amounted to 284 billion cubic meters. The fact that the export of Syrian or Iranian gas to the European Union could take place through the port of Tartus, which has ties to Russia, is unsatisfactory to Qatar and its Western patrons as well. (3)

The Arabic newspaper Al-Akhbar cites information according to which there is a plan approved by the U.S. government to create a new pipeline for transporting gas from Qatar to Europe involving Turkey and Israel. The capacity of such a pipeline is not mentioned, but considering the resources of the Persian Gulf and Eastern Mediterranean region, it could exceed that of both the Islamic Pipeline and Nabucco, directly challenging Russia’s South Stream. The main developer of this project is Frederick Hoff, who is «in charge of gas issues in the Levant» and a member of the U.S. «Syrian Crisis Committee». This new pipeline is to begin in Qatar, cross Saudi territory and then the territory of Jordan, thus bypassing Shiite Iraq, and reach Syria. Near Homs the pipeline is to branch in three directions: to Latakia, Tripoli in northern Lebanon, and Turkey. Homs, where there are also hydrocarbon reserves, is the «project’s main crossroads», and it is not surprising that it is in the vicinity of this city and its «key», Al-Qusayr, that the fiercest fighting is taking place. Here the fate of Syria is being decided. The parts of Syrian territory where detachments of rebels are operating with the support of the U.S., Qatar and Turkey, that is, the north, Homs and the environs of Damascus, coincide with the route that the pipeline is to follow to Turkey and Tripoli, Lebanon. A comparison of a map of armed hostilities and a map of the Qatar pipeline route indicates a link between armed activities and the desire to control these Syrian territories. Qatar’s allies are trying to accomplish three goals: «to break Russia’s gas monopoly in Europe; to free Turkey from its dependence on Iranian gas; and to give Israel the chance to export its gas to Europe by land at less cost». (4) As Asia Times analyst Pepe Escobar indicated, the Emir of Qatar apparently made a deal with the «Muslim Brotherhood» according to which it will support their international expansion in exchange for a pact of peace within Qatar. A «Muslim Brotherhood» regime in Jordan and in Syria, supported by Qatar, would abruptly change the entire geopolitical world gas market – decidedly in favor of Qatar and to the detriment of Russia, Syria, Iran and Iraq. It would also be a crushing blow to China. (5)

The war against Syria is aimed at pushing this project through, as well as at the breakdown of the agreement between Tehran, Baghdad and Damascus. Its implementation has been halted several times due to military action, but in February 2013 Iraq declared its readiness to sign a framework agreement which would enable the construction of the pipeline. (6) It is worth noting that after this, more and more new groups of Iraqi Shiites have risen up in support of Asad; as The Washington Post admits, they have «no little battle experience» in confronting Americans in their country. Along with fighters from Lebanon’s Hezbollah, they make an ever more formidable force. (7) The stakes in the «elimination game» started in Syria by the West over the gas pipeline continue to grow. The end of the European Union’s embargo on supplying weapons to the Syrian opposition, which according to the BBC the majority of EU member countries were against (8) (democracy, where are you?), might not be able to help the rebels.

As for civilization and justice, when profit is at stake, sentiment doesn’t matter. The main thing is not to play the wrong card in this unfair game that smells of blood and gas.

Notes

(1) http://www.voltairenet.org/article176676.html
(2) http://www.globalresearch.ca/syria-turkey-israel-and-the-greater-middle-east-energy-war/5307902
(3) http://www.naturalgasasia.com/syria-homs-gas-discovery
(4) http://zebrastationpolaire.over-blog.com/article-la-guerre-civile-en-syrie-et-la-geopolitique-petrogaziere-112539126.html
(5) http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/NI28Ak03.html
(6) http://news.day.az/iran/385108.html
(7) http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/iraqi-shiites-fight-for-syrian-
(8) http://www.bbc.co.uk/russian/rolling_news/2013/05/130527_rn_syria_uk_embargo.shtml

¤=[Post Update]=¤

this was the (really corny sounding) header from the original blog article, which sadly no longer exists as nuclearnuttery was removed:

BONUS AT VERY BOTTOM: MY THEORY ON WHAT BROUGHT DOWN THE 3 BUILDINGS ON 9/11 **UPDATED** The Arab Spring/Nabucco, Arcelor-Mittal Steel’s “Loop” & Also “The Cloud” Sculptures at 2012 Olympics representative of two enormous emerging commodities. Special: A Closer Look At Nabucco Pipeline — Race to the Top: Fueling the Future, Fighting for a Foothold in the Middle East — the Transition from Oil Dependency to Natural Gas, and the Unseen Multinational Power Grab (While We Were Fixated Upon the BP-Macondo Sabotage in the Gulf of Mexico, Natural Gas Being Quietly Monopolized). Should we fear the impact on Russia and the economic effect that may have on arms dealing to our enemies in the future?
Posted on June 24, 2011

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-s7y4vVypT14/URgomK8CIEI/AAAAAAAAAAc/XrO0vK_EzsQ/s1600/remote%2Bviewing.png

ghostrider
2nd September 2013, 18:47
exactly a pipline between Syria , Iran , and I belive lebanon , the whole reason for the conflict... lebanon is next, then Lybia, Somalia, Sudan , then Iran. westly clark told of the plan to invade seven countries in five years ... this is about the global banking system and making syria part of the IMF... syria doesn't use GMO's , has a state owned bank, no debt , not a part of the IMF , freedom of religion , syria openly talks of the NWO not as conspiracy but as fact ... please everyone focus on syria , no children killed, no war, please mr president don't blow up that beautiful country and it's wonderful people , we cannot let this happen... it is a henock prophecy that we can change , prophecy can be changed if we act , predictiions are a done deal, no changing ... read the Henoch prophecy, fires in the west coast of america, and war in syria , Russian troop movments in alaska and china moving in on the west coast, all hell could break loose, and the release of android robotic killing machines that will have a mind of their own and humans will loose control of them ... AI will work against us ... dark forces work overtime on us, the whole area is suffering severe migraines for three days now not letting up, the agenda is in full swing... viva la revolution of truth ... we are manipulated by electronic impulses, raise your level of Love /vibrations, it's the only weapon of defense ...

gripreaper
2nd September 2013, 19:27
Yup, the whole mess is about a Natural Gas pipeline. What ever happened to running the pipeline through Afghanistan? Did that not work out?

Tesla slam dunks this one.

http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.dailydawdle.com/images.dailydawdle.com/slam-dunk-kitteh.gif.pagespeed.ce.txUplZCpxK.gif

Tesla_WTC_Solution
2nd September 2013, 19:42
I wish I could find that Hebrew site I was on last year -- there was a prophecy on it that talked about a city on the northern border of Israel burning.

Also, not sure if you guys have seen the thread here on Avalon about the "burning heart omen/hashem", but I had some very strange premonitions last year and many involved fire/burning. Many involved Syria and the WTC support beam that was moved to the site near Trinity (nuclear bomb!) monument. There is a 9/11 monument there now near the site where the US tested its first acknowledged nuclear weapon at White Sands.

It's almost 9/11/2013 and it would appear that many things are happening at once -- we are at a crossroads now, and it looks like we're going the wrong way to me.

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?54861-Weird-Experience-from-Last-Year-The-Burning-Heart-Omen-and-an-Event-in-Syria

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/09/29/Aleppo_AP583279093549_620x350.jpg

THE BURNING HEART OMEN - 2012

"Hashem" -- יהוה

HaShem is the Hebrew word which pious Jews use instead of the yod-hey-vav-hey (יהוה– YHVH[1]) name, in casual conversations, and literally means The Name.

http://koshertorah.com/PDF/Shabat-HaGadol.pdf

To Ignite the Fire,
To Remember Freedom
Derush for Shabat HaGadol
By Rabbi Ariel Bar Tzadok

“A continuous fire shall burn upon the altar, do not extinguish it.”
Lev. 6:6

The Torah is called Fire (Ta’anit 7a), as it is written, “Behold, all my words are fire, says
HaShem” (Jer.23:29). This is why it says, “a continuous fire shall burn upon the altar”
[upon the altar] of the heart. It should never be extinguished. Of this the verse says, “she
reasons that her merchandise is good, her light is not extinguished by night” (Pr.31:9).”

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/30/us-syria-crisis-idUSBRE88J0X720120930

By Mariam Karouny
BEIRUT | Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:19pm EDT
(Reuters) - Large parts of Aleppo's covered market, the largest of its kind in the world and a UNESCO world heritage site that traces its history back to the 14th century, have been reduced to ashes as government forces and rebels fight for control of the city.

"It is not only the souk that is burning, my heart is burning as well," said an anti-government activist called Hashem who learnt the craft of jewelry-making in the souk before the revolt against President Bashar al-Assad erupted last year.

__________________________________________________ ____________

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Energy-Resources/2011/07/27/Syria-Irans-pipeline-no-Nabucco-rival/UPI-14641311769556/

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/08/201285133440424621.html

Deep beneath "Damascus volcano" and "the battle of Aleppo", the tectonic plates of the global energy chessboard keep on rumbling. Beyond the tragedy and grief of civil war, Syria is also a Pipelineistan power play.

More than a year ago, a $10 billion Pipelineistan deal was clinched between Iran, Iraq and Syria for a natural gas pipeline to be built by 2016 from Iran's giant South Pars field, traversing Iraq and Syria, with a possible extension to Lebanon. Key export target market: Europe.

During the past 12 months, with Syria plunged into civil war, there was no pipeline talk. Up until now. The European Union's supreme paranoia is to become a hostage of Russia's Gazprom. The Iran-Iraq-Syria gas pipeline would be essential to diversify Europe's energy supplies away from Russia.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
2nd September 2013, 20:05
looks like part of my post disappeared!

creepy!... hope it was me and not someone else lOL

Camilo
2nd September 2013, 20:24
[QUOTE=Tesla_WTC_Solution;723258]
When I published my anti-BP article and dropped dime about Nabucco and the war that's coming, my blog Nuclearnuttery got 300 views in one day. That was about as many as I was then used to seeing in a week or a month. But because I wrote about Nabucco, people from all over the world starting pinging my website.

By going "against" anything we are only feeding it, making it stronger. When we "go for", or support the opposite, we counterbalance forces, and generate harmony

Tesla_WTC_Solution
2nd September 2013, 22:54
thank you for that.

it's true that energy talks beyond gas and oil need to be held, and soon!

people here on avalon talk about thorium reactors and other awesome things,
stuff that could completely remove the dependencies on so called "fossil fuels" (fraud fuels lol)

:(

Tesla_WTC_Solution
12th September 2013, 07:52
BONUS AT VERY BOTTOM: MY THEORY ON WHAT BROUGHT DOWN THE 3 BUILDINGS ON 9/11 **UPDATED** The Arab Spring/Nabucco, Arcelor-Mittal Steel’s “Loop” & Also “The Cloud” Sculptures at 2012 Olympics representative of two enormous emerging commodities. Special: A Closer Look At Nabucco Pipeline — Race to the Top: Fueling the Future, Fighting for a Foothold in the Middle East — the Transition from Oil Dependency to Natural Gas, and the Unseen Multinational Power Grab (While We Were Fixated Upon the BP-Macondo Sabotage in the Gulf of Mexico, Natural Gas Being Quietly Monopolized). Should we fear the impact on Russia and the economic effect that may have on arms dealing to our enemies in the future?
Posted on June 24, 2011

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/11/politics/syria-diplomacy-kerry/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Calling Syria's ongoing civil war an "internal conflict, fueled by foreign weapons supplied to the opposition," Putin cautioned against siding with an opposition in Syria he says includes "more than enough (al) Qaeda fighters and extremists of all stripes." (He did not mention the fact Russia has long supplied arms to Syria's government, or that U.S. officials have said they are funneling aid only to members of what they call the "moderate opposition.")

The Russian president ended his op-ed -- just after mentioning a "growing trust" between him and his U.S. counterpart -- with a swipe at a remark Obama made Tuesday contending that "with modest effort and risk, we can stop children from being gassed to death and thereby make our own children safer over the long run."

Tesla_WTC_Solution
12th September 2013, 07:57
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/11/politics/syria-diplomacy-kerry/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Putin jabs U.S., Obama in op-ed, says Syria strike would be 'act of aggression'

By Jamie Crawford and Greg Botelho, CNN

updated 12:41 AM EDT, Thu September 12, 2013

Putin makes his case in an op-ed
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
NEW: Putin's op-ed is "irrelevant" and he "needs to deliver" on Syria, U.S. official says
NEW: U.S.-funded weapons began reaching Syrian rebels 2 weeks ago, official says
In a New York Times op-ed, Putin says striking Syria will hurt the region and world
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will meet with Russian counterpart Thursday

Washington (CNN) -- Hours before the top diplomats from his nation and the United States begin a high-stakes meeting, Russian President Vladimir Putin took to The New York Times to argue against military intervention in Syria and jab his U.S. counterpart.

Using an op-ed "to speak directly to the American people and their political leaders ... at a time of insufficient communication between our societies," Putin made a case much like U.S. President Barack Obama did Tuesday night -- although their arguments could hardly have been more different.

Striking Syria would have many negative ramifications, Putin argued in a piece that went online Wednesday night, including the killing of innocent people, spreading violence around the Middle East, clouding diplomatic efforts to address Iran's nuclear crisis and resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and "unleash(ing) a new wave of terrorism."

READ: Syria: Key developments
Moreover, the Russian leader said such action without the U.N. Security Council's approval "would constitute an act of aggression."
"It could throw the entire system of international law and order out of balance," Putin said.

Senator on Putin op-ed: I wanted to vomit Senator McCain on Russia's plan for Syria Senator McCain on Russia's plan for Syria Did Pres. Obama's speech help his case? Blackburn: Obama's Syria strategy wavers Udall:Obama's Syria plan still not clear

Contrast this to Obama's assertion that failing to act in Syria opens the door to more chemical weapons attacks in Syria and in other nations -- as well as among terrorist groups -- by giving the impression that the international community won't act in the face of blatant violations on bans of their use.

And whereas the U.S. president blamed the August 21 sarin gas attack that U.S. officials estimate killed 1,400 people squarely on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Putin wrote "there is every reason to believe it was used not by the Syrian army, but by opposition forces to provoke intervention by their powerful foreign patrons, who would be siding with the fundamentalists."

READ: Syria's weapons: Mission impossible?

Calling Syria's ongoing civil war an "internal conflict, fueled by foreign weapons supplied to the opposition," Putin cautioned against siding with an opposition in Syria he says includes "more than enough (al) Qaeda fighters and extremists of all stripes." (He did not mention the fact Russia has long supplied arms to Syria's government, or that U.S. officials have said they are funneling aid only to members of what they call the "moderate opposition.")

The Russian president ended his op-ed -- just after mentioning a "growing trust" between him and his U.S. counterpart -- with a swipe at a remark Obama made Tuesday contending that "with modest effort and risk, we can stop children from being gassed to death and thereby make our own children safer over the long run."
"I believe we should act," Obama said then. "That's what makes America different. That's what makes us exceptional. With humility, but with resolve, let us never lose sight of that essential truth."

Putin challenged the statement, saying, "It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation."
"We are all different," the Russian leader concluded, "but when we ask for the Lord's blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal."
Reacting to that remark and Putin's op-ed generally, a senior White House official said Wednesday night "that's all irrelevant."

"He's fully invested in Syria's (chemical weapons) disarmament and that's potentially better than a military strike, which would deter and degrade but wouldn't get rid of all the chemical weapons," the official said.

"(Putin) now owns this," the official added of the Russian plan to have Syria's leadership give up its chemical weapons. "He has fully asserted ownership of it, and he needs to deliver."

It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation.

Russian President Vladimir Putin
All eyes turn to U.S.-Russia talks in Geneva

Putin's piece went online around the time U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry headed to Geneva, Switzerland, to meet with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

Their two days of talks will revolve around a Moscow proposal to avert a U.S.-led strike in Syria by having the Syrian government put its chemical weapons stockpile under international control.

Key developments in Syria crisis

In his speech Tuesday, Obama said he was willing to test the seriousness and feasibility of the initiative before resuming his push for congressional authorization for military action, which at the moment appears unlikely to succeed.

Kerry is taking the lead in dealing with the Russians. That includes regular conversations with Lavrov, including Wednesday when the two talked by phone about "their shared objective of having a substantive discussion about the mechanics of identifying, verifying and ultimately destroying Assad's chemical weapons," said a senior State Department official.

"It's too early to tell whether this offer will succeed, and any agreement must verify that the Assad regime keeps its commitments," Obama said in his prime-time address to a war-weary public skeptical of another military venture in the Middle East.

"But this initiative has the potential to remove the threat of chemical weapons without the use of force, particularly because Russia is one of Assad's strongest allies."

Russian officials have submitted a plan to the United States, Russia's Itar-Tass news agency reported Wednesday, citing a Russian diplomatic source.
It's too early to tell whether this offer will succeed, and any agreement must verify that the Assad regime keeps its commitments.

U.S. President Barack Obama

Yet White House spokesman Jay Carney said that while conversations have taken place, he was unaware of a full, formal proposal.

"I think we're not at the stage of putting down public pieces of paper," he said.
Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's emissary to the European Union, said the plan calls for Syria's chemical weapons to be placed under international supervision -- inside that country initially, at least.

"The ultimate aim is to have these weapons destroyed," Chizhov told CNN's Christiane Amanpour.

He acknowledged the task of gaining control of the weapons and destroying them with a civil war raging in Syria won't be easy, voicing worries about what rebel fighters might do.

Separately, the United States, France, and Britain discussed a U.N. Security Council draft resolution, according to a spokesman for British Prime Minister David Cameron.

How long will window be open?

Ambassadors from the U.N. Security Council's five permanent members -- the United States, Russia, China, Britain and France -- met the same day for less than an hour, a diplomat with knowledge of the meeting said.

While the focus now is on Switzerland, U.N. headquarters in New York is expected to become the focal point early next week when U.N. chemical weapons inspectors deliver their report to the Security Council -- as early as Monday or Tuesday, sources say -- on the August 21 attack in Syria.

In Washington, the debate about what the United States should do in Syria is not over. While Obama has said he wants to give the diplomatic process a chance, he hasn't said how long he'll wait before possibly pushing again for military action.
After his meeting earlier this week with Senate Democrats, Sen. Dick Durbin said the president asked lawmakers "for some time to work things out -- a matter of days into next week." Another Senate Democrat, though, said it could take weeks to determine if diplomatic efforts will pan out.

Members of Congress will watch Kerry's trip closely for a sense of Obama's next move after weeks of beating the drum for military action against Syria.
"If diplomacy fails, he's painted himself into a corner," Sen. Lindsey Graham said after Obama's speech. "The leader of the free world can't say all these things at the end of the day and do nothing."

Senior State Department officials have cautioned that negotiations over the proposed deal may not conclude after the scheduled round of talks in Geneva. The plan would be to take any final deal to the U.N. Security Council to be formalized in a resolution.

Outcome far from certain
While that process unfolds -- if it does successfully -- Obama continued to keep the door open for military action, despite exhortations from Putin that he drop any hint of a threat.

The U.S. president has said any military operation in Syria would be targeted, limited and not involve U.S. ground forces. Its goal would be to degrade al-Assad's ability to use chemical weapons.

Obama has also said any strike would be effective -- saying Tuesday that "the United States military doesn't do pinpricks" -- and he has ordered armed forces to be poised in the region "to keep the pressure on Assad."

U.S.-funded (if not U.S.-made) weapons began flowing to Syrian rebels about two weeks ago, a U.S. official said. Coordinated by the CIA, the supplies include light weapons, ammunition and anti-tank weapons in addition to nonlethal aid the United States has long been providing.

A big question looming over the diplomatic talks is whether any U.N. resolution includes a potential for military action should al-Assad not cooperate. That's something the United States and its allies have favored, while Putin has said his country could veto any measure there that contains such a threat.
CNN Poll: Part of Syria strike opposition is the messenger's fault
Analysts say Kerry, as leader of the U.S. diplomatic efforts, has his work cut out for him.

"I think it's unlikely the Russian government is going to relent on this issue of whether or not it would support the use of force in a security council resolution," said Nicholas Burns, a former senior State Department official now at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government.

"They've been consistent since day one of the Syrian crisis that they did not want to see the United States or anyone else use force. I think that's one of the ambitions the Russians have going into this negotiation in Geneva," he added.
Obama makes case: opinion

Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright said in an exclusive interview on CNN's "The Lead with Jake Tapper" that Kerry must not take the threat of force off the table in his talks with the Russians even if they insist he drop it.
"This is the way that diplomacy works. You use the threat of the use of force to get some action in diplomacy, and then diplomacy just to figure out what you do about the threat of the use of force," said Albright, who served as America's top diplomat under President Bill Clinton.

"One of the things I know from trying to get Security Council resolutions is that they take a while," said Albright. "But my personal feeling here is that it is that threat of the use of force, and the president made very clear that our ships would stay in the area, and that the use of force would stay on the table."

Tesla_WTC_Solution
30th September 2013, 03:26
Wow, I didn't see these:

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2013/07/13/nabu-j13.html

European Union’s Nabucco pipeline project aborted
By Clara Weiss
13 July 2013
The Nabucco pipeline project, which was to have transported gas from the Caspian Sea to Europe in order to bypass Russia, has been cancelled.

By Clara Weiss
13 July 2013
The Nabucco pipeline project, which was to have transported gas from the Caspian Sea to Europe in order to bypass Russia, has been cancelled.
The pipeline, sponsored by the European Union (EU), had already been reduced last summer in length from the original 3,900 km to 1,300 km. The eastern section, which was to have run from Azerbaijan across Georgia and Turkey to the Bulgarian border, was abandoned. Instead, the Trans Anatolian Pipeline (TANAP), funded by Azerbaijan and Turkey, is due to come into operation in 2018.

The WSWS needs your support!
Your donations go directly to financing, improving, and expanding the web site.
DONATE
Nabucco-West, which was to have carried gas from Turkey to Austria, through Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary, was the only remaining part of the original project. At the end of June, it was announced that this project would also be dropped.
The Shah-Deniz II consortium, which runs the largest gas field in Azerbaijan, awarded the contract for the transportation of gas to the Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP), which runs through Greece and Albania and under the Adriatic Sea to Southern Italy. This route is 500 km shorter than that proposed by Nabucco-West.
The failure of the Nabucco project was due to a combination of geopolitical factors and business considerations.
Although the TANAP and TAP pipelines will reduce Europe’s dependence on Russian supplies of gas, its capacity of 10 billion cubic metres of gas per year is only around one third of the amount Nabucco was to have carried. This equates to just 1 percent of Europe’s total demand. And while Nabucco was a joint European project, Turkey and Azerbaijan are behind TANAP and TAP.
The decision to abandon Nabucco was not taken in Brussels, but in Baku. According to reports in the Russian media, the Shah-Deniz II consortium invited representatives of the Nabucco and TAP projects to the Azerbaijani embassy in Budapest, where the decision in favour of TAP was announced.
The Austrian firm OMV, which had promoted Nabucco for years, will be affected most by the decision, as well as Bulgaria’s BEH, Romania’s Transgaz, and the Hungarian firm FTSZ. These firms would all have profited from the transport of gas. The German firm RWE, which had been heavily involved in support of Nabucco, withdrew from the project some time ago.
Rival firm E.on is part of the competing project, together with the Swiss concern AXPO and Norway’s Statoil. The latter in turn controls 25.5 per cent of the Shah-Deniz consortium, which awarded the contract to TAP.
The second major part owner of Shah-Deniz is BP, which also controls 25.5 per cent. In addition, the Azerbaijani state-owned SOCAR (10 per cent), France’s Total, the Russian firm LUKOIL, the Iranian State Oil Company (NIOC), and the Turkish firm TPAO are all involved.
Planning for Nabucco began in 2002. From the start, the pipeline was a joint European and American project aimed at undermining Russian influence over the European continent by reducing Russian energy imports. Europe currently obtains 36 per cent of its gas and 20 per cent of its oil from Russia.
From a technical standpoint, however, the project never got very far. In 11 years, no country could be found to be an energy supplier. Iran, Turkmenistan, Egypt and Iraq all pulled out, and Azerbaijan finally rejected the idea.
Responding to Nabucco, Russia built the North Stream pipeline, which has been exporting gas from Russia under the Baltic Sea to Germany since 2011. In this way, it has bypassed transit countries such as the Ukraine and Belarus. The pipeline now has two lines and could possibly be expanded in the coming years, even though it is currently only supplying gas at half of its capacity.
In addition, Russia took on the South Stream project in 2007, which is to export gas from Russia, under the Black Sea and through the Balkans to western Europe. Work on South Stream began in December 2012, and it should be completed by 2018. The pipeline will be capable of supplying 63 billion cubic metres of gas per year.
Although representatives of the EU and the US state department declared their support for the decision in favour of TAP, it is a defeat for the EU. It shows how divided member states are over questions of energy and foreign policy. Until recently, there was no unanimous agreement among EU states to build the Nabucco pipeline.
In Germany, which is economically dependent on Russia but orients politically to Washington, there have been sustained conflicts for years over energy policy and relations with Russia. Germany obtains 40 per cent of its gas from Russia and is its most important trading partner in the EU. Questions of foreign policy orientation and the importing of energy from Russia played an important role in the disintegration of the Social Democratic Party (SPD)-Green governing coalition in 2005.
While former chancellor Gerhard Schröder (SPD) backed Russia’s NorthStream pipeline, Joschka Fischer of the Greens called for greater independence from Russian energy imports. In 2009, Fischer became a consultant to the Nabucco consortium. After his election defeat, Schröder became chairman of North Stream’s board of management. In April 2012, SPD politician Henning Woscherau was elected chairman of the board of directors of the South Stream project.
The question of Russian energy supplies also caused divisions throughout the EU. Last year, Hungarian president Victor Orbàn announced his country’s exit from the Nabucco project after differences with the EU over the state budget. Hungary has continued to participate in South Stream, however.
The increased independence of Turkey from Moscow was one of the main goals of the southern route from the outset. Turkey is one of the largest importers of Russian gas, but at the same time is a key political partner of NATO and the EU in Eurasia and the Caspian region. The route will now not be built under the direction of the EU, but instead primarily under the control of Turkey and Azerbaijan. The laying of the TANAP and TAP pipelines will increase the geopolitical importance of these two countries as EU energy partners.
The failure of the Nabucco project was also caused by the fact that it has not appeared economically viable for some time.
Gas expert Rudolf Huber described Nabucco in the Austrian daily Standard as “a relic from the past,” when the expanding market for gas made investment in long-range pipelines more or less secure. Due to the recession, the demand for gas has declined by more than 11 per cent since 2009. It is not currently clear if the supplies from TAP are required.
Through the development of shale gas in the United States, and the growing significance of liquefied gas, the demand on the energy market specifically for natural gas has dropped.
In eastern Europe, where the Nabucco pipeline was to have supplied gas from the Caspian region to countries that are highly dependent on Russian gas, governments are seeking to develop the production of shale and liquefied gas.
The decline in demand for natural gas and the increased importance of shale and liquefied gas has seen the position of Russia’s energy supplier Gazprom sharply weaken. Last year, gas exports to Europe from Gazprom dropped by 10 per cent. In 2012, Norway sold more gas to the EU than Russia for the first time. The growing role of Azerbaijan as an energy supplier for the EU and the TAP will see this tendency intensify.
In comparison with Nabucco-West, TAP emerged as a better business prospect due to the smaller number of transit countries. This reduced the costs and political risks involved in the business. Almost two thirds of TAP will run over Greek territory.
Greek prime minister Antonis Samaras hailed TAP in a statement as “The most important and most positive development in the last ten years for our country.” According to Samaras, TAP will put Greece “on the international energy map.”
Through the EU’s austerity measures, Greece has been forced to privatise the state-controlled energy company DEPA, as well as the state gas provider DESFA. DESFA was bought a few weeks ago by the Azerbaijani state company SOCAR, which is also involved in delivering gas for TAP.
While it currently obtains the majority of its gas from Russia, Greece will likely soon become one of the largest importers of gas from Azerbaijan. More than three quarters of Greek gas and 40 per cent of its oil imports currently come from Russia.
The Albanian government also welcomed the project as a sign of the growing geopolitical role of the country. But according to analysts, a worsening of the economic crisis, above all in Greece, could place the completion of the TAP project in doubt.

http://oilprice.com/Geopolitics/Europe/Romania-pulls-plug-on-Nabucco-pipeline.html

Romania pulls plug on Nabucco pipeline

By John Daly | Sun, 25 August 2013 00:00 | 0
Benefit From the Latest Energy Trends and Investment Opportunities before the mainstream media and investing public are aware they even exist. The Free Oilprice.com Energy Intelligence Report gives you this and much more. Click here to find out more.
Well, its official – the Nabucco pipeline is officially dead. Romania’s national natural gas transit company Transgaz, is convening an Extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders on 23 September to approve the company severing ties with the Nabucco Gas Pipeline International GmbH Austria consortium and other subsidiary national Nabucco affiliates, allocating a budget of $26.7 million to wind down its involvement.

As Romania was a vital component of the 56-inch, 2,050-mile $11.4 billion Nabucco pipeline, first proposed a decade ago, the handwriting is clearly on the wall now, although the pipeline’s proponents will undoubtedly battle to the bitter end.

By Clara Weiss
13 July 2013
The pipeline, sponsored by the European Union (EU), had already been reduced last summer in length from the original 3,900 km to 1,300 km. The eastern section, which was to have run from Azerbaijan across Georgia and Turkey to the Bulgarian border, was abandoned. Instead, the Trans Anatolian Pipeline (TANAP), funded by Azerbaijan and Turkey, is due to come into operation in 2018.

The WSWS needs your support!
Your donations go directly to financing, improving, and expanding the web site.
DONATE
Nabucco-West, which was to have carried gas from Turkey to Austria, through Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary, was the only remaining part of the original project. At the end of June, it was announced that this project would also be dropped.
The Shah-Deniz II consortium, which runs the largest gas field in Azerbaijan, awarded the contract for the transportation of gas to the Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP), which runs through Greece and Albania and under the Adriatic Sea to Southern Italy. This route is 500 km shorter than that proposed by Nabucco-West.
The failure of the Nabucco project was due to a combination of geopolitical factors and business considerations.
Although the TANAP and TAP pipelines will reduce Europe’s dependence on Russian supplies of gas, its capacity of 10 billion cubic metres of gas per year is only around one third of the amount Nabucco was to have carried. This equates to just 1 percent of Europe’s total demand. And while Nabucco was a joint European project, Turkey and Azerbaijan are behind TANAP and TAP.
The decision to abandon Nabucco was not taken in Brussels, but in Baku. According to reports in the Russian media, the Shah-Deniz II consortium invited representatives of the Nabucco and TAP projects to the Azerbaijani embassy in Budapest, where the decision in favour of TAP was announced.
The Austrian firm OMV, which had promoted Nabucco for years, will be affected most by the decision, as well as Bulgaria’s BEH, Romania’s Transgaz, and the Hungarian firm FTSZ. These firms would all have profited from the transport of gas. The German firm RWE, which had been heavily involved in support of Nabucco, withdrew from the project some time ago.
Rival firm E.on is part of the competing project, together with the Swiss concern AXPO and Norway’s Statoil. The latter in turn controls 25.5 per cent of the Shah-Deniz consortium, which awarded the contract to TAP.
The second major part owner of Shah-Deniz is BP, which also controls 25.5 per cent. In addition, the Azerbaijani state-owned SOCAR (10 per cent), France’s Total, the Russian firm LUKOIL, the Iranian State Oil Company (NIOC), and the Turkish firm TPAO are all involved.
Planning for Nabucco began in 2002. From the start, the pipeline was a joint European and American project aimed at undermining Russian influence over the European continent by reducing Russian energy imports. Europe currently obtains 36 per cent of its gas and 20 per cent of its oil from Russia.
From a technical standpoint, however, the project never got very far. In 11 years, no country could be found to be an energy supplier. Iran, Turkmenistan, Egypt and Iraq all pulled out, and Azerbaijan finally rejected the idea.
Responding to Nabucco, Russia built the North Stream pipeline, which has been exporting gas from Russia under the Baltic Sea to Germany since 2011. In this way, it has bypassed transit countries such as the Ukraine and Belarus. The pipeline now has two lines and could possibly be expanded in the coming years, even though it is currently only supplying gas at half of its capacity.
In addition, Russia took on the South Stream project in 2007, which is to export gas from Russia, under the Black Sea and through the Balkans to western Europe. Work on South Stream began in December 2012, and it should be completed by 2018. The pipeline will be capable of supplying 63 billion cubic metres of gas per year.
Although representatives of the EU and the US state department declared their support for the decision in favour of TAP, it is a defeat for the EU. It shows how divided member states are over questions of energy and foreign policy. Until recently, there was no unanimous agreement among EU states to build the Nabucco pipeline.
In Germany, which is economically dependent on Russia but orients politically to Washington, there have been sustained conflicts for years over energy policy and relations with Russia. Germany obtains 40 per cent of its gas from Russia and is its most important trading partner in the EU. Questions of foreign policy orientation and the importing of energy from Russia played an important role in the disintegration of the Social Democratic Party (SPD)-Green governing coalition in 2005.
While former chancellor Gerhard Schröder (SPD) backed Russia’s NorthStream pipeline, Joschka Fischer of the Greens called for greater independence from Russian energy imports. In 2009, Fischer became a consultant to the Nabucco consortium. After his election defeat, Schröder became chairman of North Stream’s board of management. In April 2012, SPD politician Henning Woscherau was elected chairman of the board of directors of the South Stream project.
The question of Russian energy supplies also caused divisions throughout the EU. Last year, Hungarian president Victor Orbàn announced his country’s exit from the Nabucco project after differences with the EU over the state budget. Hungary has continued to participate in South Stream, however.
The increased independence of Turkey from Moscow was one of the main goals of the southern route from the outset. Turkey is one of the largest importers of Russian gas, but at the same time is a key political partner of NATO and the EU in Eurasia and the Caspian region. The route will now not be built under the direction of the EU, but instead primarily under the control of Turkey and Azerbaijan. The laying of the TANAP and TAP pipelines will increase the geopolitical importance of these two countries as EU energy partners.
The failure of the Nabucco project was also caused by the fact that it has not appeared economically viable for some time.
Gas expert Rudolf Huber described Nabucco in the Austrian daily Standard as “a relic from the past,” when the expanding market for gas made investment in long-range pipelines more or less secure. Due to the recession, the demand for gas has declined by more than 11 per cent since 2009. It is not currently clear if the supplies from TAP are required.
Through the development of shale gas in the United States, and the growing significance of liquefied gas, the demand on the energy market specifically for natural gas has dropped.
In eastern Europe, where the Nabucco pipeline was to have supplied gas from the Caspian region to countries that are highly dependent on Russian gas, governments are seeking to develop the production of shale and liquefied gas.
The decline in demand for natural gas and the increased importance of shale and liquefied gas has seen the position of Russia’s energy supplier Gazprom sharply weaken. Last year, gas exports to Europe from Gazprom dropped by 10 per cent. In 2012, Norway sold more gas to the EU than Russia for the first time. The growing role of Azerbaijan as an energy supplier for the EU and the TAP will see this tendency intensify.
In comparison with Nabucco-West, TAP emerged as a better business prospect due to the smaller number of transit countries. This reduced the costs and political risks involved in the business. Almost two thirds of TAP will run over Greek territory.
Greek prime minister Antonis Samaras hailed TAP in a statement as “The most important and most positive development in the last ten years for our country.” According to Samaras, TAP will put Greece “on the international energy map.”
Through the EU’s austerity measures, Greece has been forced to privatise the state-controlled energy company DEPA, as well as the state gas provider DESFA. DESFA was bought a few weeks ago by the Azerbaijani state company SOCAR, which is also involved in delivering gas for TAP.
While it currently obtains the majority of its gas from Russia, Greece will likely soon become one of the largest importers of gas from Azerbaijan. More than three quarters of Greek gas and 40 per cent of its oil imports currently come from Russia.
The Albanian government also welcomed the project as a sign of the growing geopolitical role of the country. But according to analysts, a worsening of the economic crisis, above all in Greece, could place the completion of the TAP project in doubt.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
30th September 2013, 03:40
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/10320893/BP-signs-100bn-deal-for-gas-from-biggest-project-yet.html

BP signs $100bn deal for gas from biggest project yet

BP has agreed $100bn of contracts with European companies to buy gas from its biggest and most expensive project yet, in Azerbaijan’s Shah Deniz field.
To the general public, BP is best known for selling petrol
To the general public, BP is best known for selling petrol
Emma Rowley By Emma Rowley3:37PM BST 19 Sep 2013 CommentsComment
In a move expected to reduce Europe’s dependence on Russian energy, BP and its partners have signed 25-year sales agreements with nine companies to take 10bn cubic metres a year (bcma) of gas from the field, which sits some 70km offshore in the Caspian Sea.
The consortium is working on the second stage of the field’s development, which is expected to add a total 16bcma of gas production to the roughly 9bcma coming from Shah Deniz Stage 1.
The $40bn project will bring gas directly from Azerbaijan to Europe for the first time, offering an alternative to Russian gas imports by linking energy-hungry European consumers with the country’s giant offshore gas fields.
While no UK companies are among the nine who have agreed supplies, BP says that by boosting European energy security the UK could indirectly benefit from the deals as North Sea reserves dwindle.
The gas will be carried by the Trans Adriatic Pipeline, which when completed in 2019 will run through Greece, Albania and then under the Adriatic Sea to western Europe.
Related Articles
Corruption found in BP settlement programme 07 Sep 2013
BP cuts estimate of oil spilled in Gulf 06 Sep 2013
BP: stop absurd Gulf payments or quash $9.6bn settlement 30 Aug 2013
Gulf spill lawyer: 'BP treats US as a colony' 15 Aug 2013
BP sues US environment agency over ban 13 Aug 2013
BP makes fresh attempt to halt Gulf payouts 06 Aug 2013
The next step for the second stage of Shah Deniz field is for the companies involved to agree their final investments, with start-up expected in 2018.
The expansion has been years in the works, during which period the US shale revolution has unleashed vast volumes of cheap shale gas onto the market. However, BP said that demand for Shah Deniz output had been high, with total interest “three to four times” the 10bcma available.
Gordon Birrell, BP’s regional president in Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey, said: “The Shah Deniz consortium is proud to be involved in the conclusion of one of the biggest gas deals in the history of the oil and gas industry.
“The strong demand for Shah Deniz gas gives us confidence in the long-term development of Azerbaijan’s gas resources. Today’s signings represent another important milestone bringing us closer to a final investment decision on the Shah Deniz 2 project."
BP has a 25.5pc stake in Shah Deniz, as does Norwegian energy giant Statoil. Other partners include Total, with 10pc.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
30th September 2013, 03:46
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread816144/pg

BP in Court over Macondo Tomorrow [Monday] – CNN. Question: Did BP Foul Up Nabucco Project? Also: Looking at AGENT ORANGE, because Corexit is similar — its purpose is removing the “fingerprints” of an oil spill to protect the responsible company from EPA prosecution.
Posted on February 26, 2012

HELL HATH NO FURY … From Titanic (To Ross Depedency) to Hindenburg to Torrey Canyon to Macondo — “Peacetime Maritime Disasters” Through History Covering for British Oil Company Evil. **BONUS** My Busiest Day on Nuclearnuttery Was the Day I Said BP/BAE Could Be Behind “ARAB SPRING” and 9/11. Record 300+ reads of Nabucco Article.
Posted on February 2, 2012

THE TERROR OF BIG OIL: BP Negligence/British Sabotage the Inspiration for ’69 Brussels “Convention Relating to Intervention on the High Seas in Cases of Oil Pollution Casualties”.
Posted on January 2, 2012

Posted on June 24, 2011

Tesla_WTC_Solution
24th October 2013, 05:39
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24647808

23 October 2013 Last updated at 19:26 ET Share this pageEmailPrint
911 Shares

Syria: Blast near Damascus airport triggers blackouts

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/70671000/jpg/_70671679_019736538-1.jpg

Large parts of Syria have been hit by a power cut following an explosion near the airport in the capital, Damascus.

The lights went out after rebel artillery reportedly hit a gas pipeline that supplies a power station.

Residents say the entire capital has been plunged into darkness and officials said the power cuts had been nationwide.

Many parts of Syria have suffered sporadic power cuts since the start of the country's civil war.

"A terrorist attack on a gas pipeline that feeds a power station in the south has led to a power outage in the provinces, and work to repair it is in progress," Syria's state news agency Sana quoted Electricity Minister Imad Khamis as saying.

He said it could take up to 48 hours to restore supplies.

President Bashar al-Assad has frequently referred to his opponents as foreign-backed "terrorists".

UK-based activist group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said rebel shelling had been aimed at the town of Ghasula, around 2km (1.2 miles) from the airport.

"It is likely this was a large-scale operation planned well in advance," Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman told AFP.

Activists say a huge fire was seen blazing near the airport. It is unclear whether anyone was hurt.

Meanwhile the SOHR says a car bomb has hit a military checkpoint in a western suburb of Damascus, causing multiple casualties among security forces.

Damascus 'co-operating'

In another development, the body tasked with destroying Syria's chemical arsenal has said that Damascus is due to hand over its disarmament plan on Thursday.

In a press conference on Wednesday, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) said it expected Syria's initial declaration within the next 24 hours.

The OPCW and the UN have had a team of 60 experts and support staff in Syria since 1 October.

They have said that the Syrian government has been co-operating with the watchdog's work.

The OPCW's mission to rid Syria of chemical weapons was set up by a UN resolution.

It followed international outrage at a chemical weapons attack near Damascus in August.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
24th October 2013, 05:44
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Is_Not_Enough

Afterwards Bond visits Valentin Zukovsky to acquire information about Elektra's attackers; he discovers that Elektra's head of security, Davidov, is secretly in league with Renard. Bond kills Davidov and boards a plane bound for a Russian ICBM base in Kazakhstan. There, Bond, posing as a Russian nuclear scientist, meets American nuclear physicist Christmas Jones and enters the silo. Inside, Renard removes the GPS locator card and weapons-grade plutonium from a bomb. Before Bond can kill him, Jones blows his cover. Renard steals the bomb and flees, leaving everyone to die in the booby-trapped missile silo. Bond and Jones escape the exploding silo with the locator card.

Back in Azerbaijan, Bond discloses to M that Elektra may not be as innocent as she seems, and hands her the locator card as proof of the theft: an alarm sounds, revealing that the stolen bomb from Kazakhstan is attached to an inspection rig heading towards the oil terminal. Bond and Jones enter the pipeline to deactivate the bomb, and Jones discovers that half of the plutonium is missing. They both jump clear of the rig and a large section of the pipe is destroyed. Bond and Jones are presumed killed. Back at the command centre, Elektra reveals that she killed her father as revenge for using her as bait for Renard. She abducts M, whom she resents for advising her father not to pay the ransom money.

Bond accosts Zukovsky at his caviar factory in the Caspian Sea – which is then attacked by Elektra's helicopters. Later, Zukovsky reveals his arrangement with Elektra was in exchange for the use of a submarine, currently being captained by Zukovsky's nephew, Nikolai. The group goes to Istanbul, where Jones realises that if Renard were to insert the stolen plutonium into the submarine's nuclear reactor, the resulting nuclear explosion would destroy Istanbul, sabotaging the Russians' oil pipeline in the Bosphorus.

Elektra's pipeline is planned to go around Istanbul, dramatically increasing the value of her own oil. Bond then gets a signal from the locator card from the Maiden's Tower – just before Zukovsky's underling, Bullion blows up the command centre. Zukovsky is knocked unconscious, and Bond and Jones are captured by Elektra's henchmen. Jones is taken aboard the submarine, which was seized by Renard's men. Bond is taken to the tower, where Elektra tortures him with a garrote. Zukovsky and his men seize the tower, but Zukovsky is shot by Elektra. The dying Zukovsky uses his cane gun to free Bond. Bond frees M and kills Elektra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipeline_inspection_gauge

Pigging in the context of pipelines refers to the practice of using pipeline inspection gauges or 'pigs' to perform various maintenance operations on a pipeline. This is done without stopping the flow of the product in the pipeline.

These operations include but are not limited to cleaning and inspecting the pipeline. This is accomplished by inserting the pig into a 'pig launcher' (or 'launching station') - a funnel shaped Y section in the pipeline. The launcher / launching station is then closed and the pressure-driven flow of the product in the pipeline is used to push it along down the pipe until it reaches the receiving trap – the 'pig catcher' (or 'receiving station').

A pig has been used as a plot device in three James Bond films: Diamonds Are Forever, where Bond disabled a pig to escape from a pipeline, The Living Daylights, where a pig was modified to secretly transport a person through the Iron Curtain, and The World Is Not Enough, where a pig was used to move a nuclear weapon through a pipeline.

A pig was also used as a plot device in the Tony Hillerman book The Sinister Pig where an abandoned pipeline from Mexico to the United States was used with a pig to transport illegal drugs.

Isaiah 17
New International Version (NIV)
A Prophecy Against Damascus

17 A prophecy against Damascus:

“See, Damascus will no longer be a city
but will become a heap of ruins.
2 The cities of Aroer will be deserted
and left to flocks, which will lie down,
with no one to make them afraid.
3 The fortified city will disappear from Ephraim,
and royal power from Damascus;
the remnant of Aram will be
like the glory of the Israelites,”
declares the Lord Almighty.
4 “In that day the glory of Jacob will fade;
the fat of his body will waste away.
5 It will be as when reapers harvest the standing grain,
gathering the grain in their arms—
as when someone gleans heads of grain
in the Valley of Rephaim.
6 Yet some gleanings will remain,
as when an olive tree is beaten,
leaving two or three olives on the topmost branches,
four or five on the fruitful boughs,”
declares the Lord, the God of Israel.
7 In that day people will look to their Maker
and turn their eyes to the Holy One of Israel.
8 They will not look to the altars,
the work of their hands,
and they will have no regard for the Asherah poles[a]
and the incense altars their fingers have made.
9 In that day their strong cities, which they left because of the Israelites, will be like places abandoned to thickets and undergrowth. And all will be desolation.

10 You have forgotten God your Savior;
you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress.
Therefore, though you set out the finest plants
and plant imported vines,
11 though on the day you set them out, you make them grow,
and on the morning when you plant them, you bring them to bud,
yet the harvest will be as nothing
in the day of disease and incurable pain.
12 Woe to the many nations that rage—
they rage like the raging sea!
Woe to the peoples who roar—
they roar like the roaring of great waters!
13 Although the peoples roar like the roar of surging waters,
when he rebukes them they flee far away,
driven before the wind like chaff on the hills,
like tumbleweed before a gale.
14 In the evening, sudden terror!
Before the morning, they are gone!
This is the portion of those who loot us,
the lot of those who plunder us.

http://imageshack.us/a/img513/1631/s3jk.png

Tesla_WTC_Solution
27th January 2014, 06:35
<embed src="http://news.yahoo.com/video/natural-gas-pipeline-goes-flames-182615488.html" />

http://news.yahoo.com/video/natural-gas-pipeline-goes-flames-182615488.html

Natural gas pipeline goes up in flames in Canada
11 hrs ago 1:56

KTRK – Houston
A pipeline ruptured, sending flames hundreds of feet into the air, and it was all caught on camera

also

http://search.abclocal.go.com/search/client?st=ktrk&q=pipeline&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=9407747

VIDEO: Natural gas pipeline goes up in flames in Canada
A pipeline ruptured, sending flames hundreds of feet into the air, and it was all caught on camera
January 26, 2014 10:26:14 AM PST | abc13.com

__________________________________________________ _____

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/01/26/3205971/transcanada-gas-pipeline-explosion/

TransCanada Pipeline Explosion Shuts Off Gas For 4,000 Residents In Sub-Zero Temperatures
BY KILEY KROH ON JANUARY 26, 2014 AT 1:31 PM

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/explosion-638x351.jpg

A natural gas pipeline operated by TransCanada Corp. exploded and caught fire in the Canadian province of Manitoba on Saturday, shutting off gas supplies for as many as 4,000 residents in sub-zero temperatures.

“We could see these massive 200- to 300-meter high flames just shooting out of the ground and it literally sounded like a jet plane,” resident Paul Rawluk told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

Watch a video of the explosion here:

DqmPcqlbktU

There were no injuries and the area was evacuated as a precaution, according to the National Energy Board. TransCanada said the fire was extinguished by Saturday afternoon, more than 12 hours after it started, but in order to repair the line, they shut off the natural gas supply to several municipalities.

Temperatures dropped to -20 degrees Celsius overnight.

Niverville Deputy Mayor John Funk said that “service is expected to be lost for minimum of 24 hours to multiple days” in a statement on the town’s website. Funk also said that “Manitoba Hydro is asking residents to turn down thermostats and minimize use of electric heaters.”

There is no timeline for restoring regular natural gas services so in the interim, compressed natural gas is being trucked in to the area. “The initial supply will be used to provide gas to critical services such as personal care homes and hospitals, as well as schools or churches being used as emergency warming centers,” the CBC reported.

TransCanada has also been pushing for the approval of its controversial Keystone XL pipeline to transport Canadian tar sands to refineries on the U.S. Gulf Coast. Oil began flowing through the southern leg of the pipeline this week and in a conference call marking the announcement, CEO Russ Girling called Keystone XL “the safest oil pipeline built in America to date.”

As of November, TransCanada had already fixed 125 sags and dents in the southern leg of the pipeline, according to a report by non-profit consumer rights group Public Citizen. And while Girling told reporters on this week’s conference call that the company had “voluntarily agreed” to 57 conditions with the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), Jeffrey Weise, the agency’s head of pipeline safety, said last year that his agency “has very few tools to work with” and as a result, the regulatory process he oversees is “kind of dying.”

Indeed, a Wall Street Journal analysis released this week found that people discover pipeline spills far more often than the leak-detection technology touted by companies. Based on PHMSA data for 251 pipeline incidents over four years, the WSJ found that nearby residents or company employees were nearly three times as likely to detect a pipeline leak. Leak-detection software, special alarms and 24/7 control room monitoring, on the other hand, discovered leaks just 19.5 percent of the time.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
12th June 2014, 00:44
Thought this article might be of interest here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bulgaria-halts-south-stream-gas-pipeline-165658594--finance.html

We do have about 10 threads on the natural gas topic though, so it's hairy!!
Any thread with Nabucco, Gazprom in it, is worth reading -- just use the search here -- also Ukraine unrest and Arab Spring tie into this issue.

Please pray re: energy crisis, that people will soon be free of this evil chokehold that the Superpowers are putting on the world,
in a time when NO ONE should be capitalizing on what's going on in the Middle East...

Those are REAL PEOPLE down there -- real people who are suffering terribly for white privilege, energy wars, etc.
Just like the Fremen in Dune suffer because they happen to live on top of the Spice -- the people (Bush, Putin even, etc) who stir them up and kill them off for better access to resources are like the Harkonnens and should be treated as such.

lol

anyhow hope you are all doing ok and please keep up with this issue, it's a very important one,
some of us have been "watching" this one since 2007 :(

p.s.

Wed, Jun 11, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT - U.S. Markets close in 1 hr 1 min

Bulgaria halts work on South Stream gas pipeline
Associated Press
June 8, 2014 1:30 PM

SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) — Bulgaria's prime minister has ordered on Sunday a halt to construction work on the Gazprom-led South Stream pipeline project planned to bypass Ukraine as a transit country and consolidating Russia's energy grip in Europe.

Plamen Oresharski said after meeting U.S. Sens. John McCain, Christopher Murphy and Ron Johnson that he has ordered all work on the disputed project to continue only after consultations with Brussels.

Last week, the European Commission opened an infringement procedure against the Balkan country and asked construction work to be stopped, arguing that Bulgaria hadn't respected EU internal market rules covering the award of public contracts.

The standoff over Ukraine has forced the 28-nation EU into a sudden rethink of its energy policies to make it less reliant on Russia and its state-owned gas company Gazprom.

In particular, the EU decision will affect the South Stream pipeline, in which Russia's Gazprom holds a 50-percent stake, and would provide an alternative supply route for Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Hungary, Slovenia, Austria and Italy. It is expected to ship up to 63 billion cubic meters of gas from 2018.

Bulgaria, which is almost totally dependent on gas supplies from Russia, is trying to avoid another cutoff after it was among those who suffered most of the gas price dispute between Russia and Ukraine in 2009.

Washington had already voiced criticism over Bulgaria's decision to award the construction of the Bulgarian stretch of South Stream to a consortium led by Russia's Stroytransgaz — a Russian company subject to U.S. sanctions.

In a statement on Friday, U.S. Ambassador Marcie B. Ries voiced "deep concern" over the decision.

"Now is not the time for business as usual with Russia," she said. "We advise Bulgarian businesses to avoid working with entities sanctioned by the United States."

"We understand that there are some issues concerning the South Stream pipeline project," McCain said Sunday and added that "obviously we want as little Russian involvement as possible."

:frusty: :mmph:

but of course where is the outrage re: Gazprom's relationship with our dirty "ally" British Petroleum? oh yeah it's because UK owns like 20 percent of them. lol

Tesla_WTC_Solution
2nd July 2014, 20:51
http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/02/technology/security/russian-hackers/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

The Cybercrime Economy
Russia attacks U.S. oil and gas companies in massive hack
By Jose Pagliery @Jose_Pagliery July 2, 2014: 4:06 PM ET

us oil refinery russia Russian hacker spies are attacking energy companies. It's the latest sign the Cold War has gone cyber.

TOTAL SHARES

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
The Cold War didn't end in the 1990's. It simply moved online.

That much is clear after a security firm reported this week that Russian hackers have launched unprecedented, highly-sophisticated attacks on Western oil and gas companies.

The cyber operation nicknamed Energetic Bear is the latest example of an ongoing battle between all-seeing American and British cyber spies on one side -- and intellectual-property-stealing hackers in China and Russia on the other.

The report by Symantec (SYMC, Tech30) described how hackers have sneaked malware into computers at power plants, energy grid operators, gas pipeline companies and industrial equipment makers. Most of the targets were in the United States and Spain. The rest were across Europe.
Russia: Ukraine gas dispute just business
Russia: Ukraine gas dispute just business

The malware was used to steal documents, usernames and passwords. In the best-case scenario, the hackers only took valuable and sensitive information. At worst, they gained the ability to hijack controls -- and even sabotage the nation's energy supply.

Related story: What China's hacker spies are after

Another security company, Crowdstrike, first spotted the Energetic Bear operation in 2012. Crowdstrike thinks the hackers at Energetic Bear work for -- or alongside -- Russian government intelligence services at the behest of state-owned gas enterprises, including GazproM (GZPFY)and Rosneft.

Neither the Russian embassy, nor those energy companies, responded to requests for comment.

Why should you care? If a nation breaks into Exxon-Mobil (XOM) or BP (BP) and figures out where they've discovered vast oil or natural gas reserves, it could beat them to the punch and start drilling first. If it steals blueprints to the power grid or key pipelines, it could disable them to cause economic chaos -- or shut it down during a war.

"The Russians are engaged in aggressive economic and political espionage," Crowdstrike co-founder Dmitri Alperovitch said.

Related story: Is Russia trying to stop Europe fracking?

Security researchers said Energetic Bear is notable for its military precision and planning.

And Energetic Bear hackers aren't limited to attacking the energy sector. Their malware has also been spotted inside the networks of European and U.S. defense contractors and health care providers, as well as manufacturers, construction companies and universities doing research in the field of nuclear energy.

"We haven't seen anything at this scale with industrial control systems," said Kevin Haley, Symantec's director of security.
First Published: July 2, 2014: 8:18 AM ET

so that means nuclear magnetic resonance labs and all manner of things have been insecure thanks to the internet, Windows etc security loopholes -- nothing is safe -- and since before 2012 this plotting and meddling has gone on unchecked with third world countries taking the brunt of the damage, while the superpowers lay back and enjoy the easy money -- it's awful --...

and it's just gonna get worse!!!!

Tesla_WTC_Solution
14th September 2014, 05:41
http://www.prisonplanet.com/obama-may-have-just-dealt-a-crushing-blow-to-russias-oil-exploration.html

Obama May Have Just Dealt A Crushing Blow To Russia’s Oil Exploration

The Alex Jones Channel

BRETT LOGIURATO
Business Insider
September 12, 2014

New U.S. sanctions handed down on Friday are designed to effectively “shut off” Russian oil conglomerates from oil exploration projects, U.S. officials said, in a move aimed squarely at Russia’s $425 billion-a-year petroleum industry.

The measures are “designed to effectively shut down this type of oil exploration and production activity by depriving these Russian companies of the goods, technology and services that they need to do this work,” a senior Obama administration official said Friday.

The official added the intention of the new sanctions is to ensure that “we have effectively shut off the capacity” of Russian oil companies to draw on U.S. expertise for deepwater, Arctic offshore, and/or shale oil exploration projects. The official stressed this was an important step because Russia’s companies do not possess the kind of technology needed to undertake the operations.

The new sanctions prohibit U.S. companies from exporting goods, services, or technology to support five Russian energy companies in exploration or production for Russian deepwater, Arctic offshore, or shale projects that have the potential to produce oil. The U.S. Treasury Department said companies have until Sept. 26 to wind down existing transactions affected by the new sanctions.

Full story here.

Related posts:

Google’s Street View dealt blow by Czech privacy concerns
Latest Russia sanctions will take effect Friday, EU says
Obama Asks Court to Reinstate Ban on Deepwater Drilling
An Australian Exploration Company Says It May Have Found The Missing Plane In Area Where Nobody Is Looking
Obama administration to blow $52 million in 3 months promoting Obamacare

This article was posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Tesla_WTC_Solution
20th September 2014, 21:46
NOAA CLAIMS USA TO LOSE 30% energy production within next few decades "if something is not done"...

I feel a bit ill after assimilating these "facts": http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/09/20/how-this-looming-threat-could-devastate-the-us-ene.aspx

How This Looming Threat Could Devastate the U.S. Energy Industry

By Adam Galas | More Articles | Save For Later
September 20, 2014 | Comments (5)

There is an impending energy crisis looming that almost no one has heard of, but could have dire consequences for America's energy industry.

According to Tim Osborn of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and Steve Gill, senior scientist at the agency's Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services, by 2100 much of southeastern Louisiana will be under 4.3 feet of water. This area faces the fastest rate of sea level rise in the world.

Source: NOAA

To put those numbers in perspective consider this: Grand Isle, Louisiana, which is 50 miles south of New Orleans, has reported annual increases in sea level of 9.24 millimeters, which is a third of an inch per year -- more than quadruple that of Key West, Florida.

Things are even worse in other areas. According to Mr. Osborn, "[W]e have rates of 11.2 millimeters along the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain -- the metro New Orleans area. And inside the city we have places with almost a half-inch per year."

To put it another way, every hour an area of land the size of a football field, 16 square miles per year, becomes submerged.

What's causing this?
While many people may initially think climate change is to blame for this slow-motion disaster in the making, in fact that's only partly the explanation. Southeast Louisiana has an average elevation of just three feet above sea level and, according to this study, much of New Orleans, whose port adds $37 billion to the U.S. economy each year (and supports 160,500 jobs), will largely be underwater within decades.

Source: NOAA

A major reason for this is the very levee system that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers built to protect the inhabitants living near the Mississippi River after the catastrophic flood of 1927.

Historical context
In 1927 the US experienced the worst flood in history, with 27,000 square miles becoming submerged beneath as much as 30 feet of water. The calamity destroyed 160,000 homes, killed 500, and left 600,000 homeless. Congress responded with the 1928 Flood Control Act, which ordered the Army Corps of Engineers to construct a system of levees to forever tame the river and prevent such a tragedy again.

Unfortunately, an unintended consequence of this levee system is that it cut off southeast Louisiana from periodic replenishment of the millions of tons of annual sediment that had, over millions of years, built the very land that is now Louisiana on 400 feet of muck.

While the levees were a boon for trade and flood control, they are resulting in the land drying out and sinking. The situation was made worse when oil and gas where discovered and, over the decades, 50,000 wells were drilled, along with over 10,000 miles of canals that were dredged to service them.

America's energy future at risk
The land that's currently sinking is home to some 50% of the country's oil refineries as well as a network of pipelines that serves 90% of the nation's offshore oil production. In total, 30% of our oil and gas supply faces disruption in the coming decades if something isn't done.

Source: EIA

The companies most directly affected include Chesapeake Energy (NYSE: CHK ) , ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM ) , Halliburton (NYSE: HAL ) , Cheniere Energy (NYSEMKT: LNG ) , and its MLP, Cheniere Energy Partners (NYSEMKT: CQP ) , all of which have major oil and gas operations in the affected areas.

Source: Department of Energy, Federal Energy Regulatory Commision

Specifically, Cheniere's Sabine Pass LNG (liquefied natural gas) export terminal is threatened by the coming disaster, along with three of America's 14 proposed LNG export terminals. In total these four terminals represent 23% of America's potential LNG export capacity and should they be taken offline by the rising waters, many of the benefits of natural gas exports could be threatened.

Can anything be done?
After Hurricane Katrina in 2007, Louisiana's state legislature came up with a long-term coastal restoration plan to prevent the coming cataclysm. The plan calls for $50 billion to be spent over 50 years to build additional levees, deposit large amounts of sediment to rebuild sunken land, and divert rivers to reconnect the drying out delta. Computer projections show that, should the project be completed on schedule, more land would be reclaimed than is being lost, at least minimizing the damage.

Some of this money will come out an increased share of oil and gas royalties, especially from offshore producers, but this will only amount to $14 billion, or 28% of the needed amount.

Thus far Congress has refused to provide any funding and coastal advocates are calling for oil and gas companies to be made to pay for the project. The industry has acknowledged a partial responsibility for the problem, but is defending itself from a lawsuit, filed in July 2013, from the Southeast Louisiana Flood Protection Authority-East, which maintains levees around New Orleans. The lawsuit was brought against 97 oil, gas, and pipeline companies and demands the companies pay the cost of the restoration. Several studies have found that the oil industry is responsible for between 16% to 50% of the loss of 2,000 square miles of land thus far.

Foolish takeaway
The sinking of southeastern Louisiana, an unintended consequence of flood control levees and oil and gas production, threatens the homes of 2 million people, as well as energy infrastructure vital to both America and the world. Even if the funds can be obtained to fund the experimental coastal reclamation plan, the effects on America's energy landscape may be irreversible. Further study is needed to help determine how best to prevent similar damage to other vulnerable areas.

Do you know this energy tax "loophole"?
You already know record oil and natural gas production is changing the lives of millions of Americans. But what you probably haven't heard is that the IRS is encouraging investors to support our growing energy renaissance, offering you a tax loophole to invest in some of America's greatest energy companies. Take advantage of this profitable opportunity by grabbing your brand-new special report, "The IRS Is Daring You to Make This Investment Now!," and you'll learn about the simple strategy to take advantage of a little-known IRS rule. Don't miss out on advice that could help you cut taxes for decades to come. Click here to learn more.

Adam Galas has no position in any stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool recommends Halliburton. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
21st October 2014, 19:09
Sigh :( update:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/20/investing/total-ceo-dies/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

French CEO dies in Moscow in plane crash with snowplow operated by drunk driver
By Sophia Yan @sophia_yan October 21, 2014: 11:04 AM ET

HONG KONG (CNNMoney)
French oil company Total's CEO died after his plane collided with a snowplow on the runway at Moscow international airport.

Russian officials said the snowplow's driver was inebriated. Along with CEO Christophe de Margerie, three other members of the plane's crew were also found dead at the scene of the accident.

Russian officials have said they would investigate other possible causes of the accident such as pilot and air traffic control error. The crash occurred when the landing gear of the Falcon airplane hit the snow-clearing machine during takeoff, then caught fire and crashed on the runway.

The death of the 63-year old de Margerie was immediately mourned by top leaders. Affectionately known as Big Mustache for his signature facial hair, de Margerie had a "larger-than-life personality" and was "hugely respected" in French business and political circles, according to the Financial Times. The company released a statement sending condolences to the families of all the victims.

De Margerie attended Putin's annual economic showcase in St. Petersburg in May, ignoring calls for a boycott over the crisis in Ukraine.

Related: Crashing oil prices could crush Vladimir Putin

Total is a major shareholder in Novatek, Russia's largest independent natural gas producer. The two companies were planning to develop a massive liquified natural gas reserve in Siberia.

But the shooting down of a Malaysian airliner over eastern Ukraine in July prompted Total to suspend buying additional shares in Novatek.

President Vladimir Putin expressed his condolences in a telegram to French President Francois Hollande.

In the message, Putin praised de Margerie for his role in laying the foundation of "long time fruitful cooperation between France and Russia in the energy sector."

De Margerie joined Total right after finishing university in 1974. He has held several positions with the company, including a job leading its Middle East operations. He was named CEO in 2007, and appointed chairman in 2010.

Related: Putin puts a chill on German economy

In an interview with the Financial Times, de Margerie said he rarely admitted regretting anything, except not being able to spend enough time with his children.

"I used to think quality time with my children was good enough, but quantity matters," he told the newspaper.

French President Francois Hollande expressed shock and sadness and praised the CEO for his "independence, original character and dedication to his country."

Manuel Valls, the French prime minister, said the country would miss de Margerie's "panache," his typically French sense of humor, and a spirit that was "unanimously appreciated."

-- Ben Rooney, Charles Riley and Mark Thompson contributed to this article.
First Published: October 20, 2014: 11:58 PM ET

Tesla_WTC_Solution
3rd December 2014, 20:54
Sadly for the developing world, it would seem that the problems in Syria have resulted in a local arms race in the area between USA/Russia (!),
and that Russia is plunging into recession due to oil/gas prices and sanctions (I assume!)

Thanks to all with interest in this subject.

But the troubling thought that comes to mind, is, how to we the people avoid war with Russia?
When it is obvious that both our nations are being manipulated by Big Money who invests in our resources,
robs us blind, leaves a wasteland behind -- etc...

@@

Who wouldn't have their hackles up when BOTH USA and Russia have been discussed by Big MOney think tanks as "the next middle east"?

both nations fear balkanization and disintegration, which is what corporations LOVE.

it's a mess out there folks!
let's hope the cookie doesn't crumble before Santa gets a bite :) heh

Tesla_WTC_Solution
16th January 2015, 02:09
http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?79054-Putin-Strikes-Back-Russia-Cuts-Off-European-Gas-Supplies-Starts-Selling-Dollars---The-Decision-Has-Been-Made

timely thread by Jerry

Tesla_WTC_Solution
20th January 2015, 17:22
Good morning all, was in good cheer, still am, however there is also a bad thing to report,
some potential terrorism in Montana.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/20/us/yellowstone-river-spill/index.html

Up to 50,000 gallons of oil spilled in Yellowstone River; residents told not to drink water
By Holly Yan, CNN
Updated 7:50 AM ET, Tue January 20, 2015

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/150120032344-yellowstone-river-pipeline-spill-super-169.jpg

(CNN)A Montana pipeline burst sent as much as 50,400 gallons of oil gushing into the Yellowstone River, prompting the governor to declare a state of emergency.

Residents in nearby cities were told not to drink the tap water, which some said smelled like diesel.

The massive oil spill happened when the 12-inch pipeline, which crosses the Yellowstone River, ruptured Saturday about 5 miles upstream from Glendive, Montana's Department of Environmental Quality said. The Bridger Pipeline company shut down the pipeline.

Glendive City Council member Gerald Reichert was among the residents who noticed a disturbing odor in the drinking water.

"Suddenly at our house there was a definite smell. It was a diesel smell," Reichert told the Grand Forks Herald.

Montana Gov. Steve Bullock announced a state of emergency for Dawson and Richland counties.

And while officials wait for results from water sample testing, they're advising residents to use bottled water for drinking and cooking.

A host of agencies have responded to the oil spill, including the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Health and Human Services.

Adding to the problems, the weather: the Yellowstone River is partially frozen, making it difficult to clean up the mess.

This isn't the first major oil spill into the Yellowstone River -- the longest undammed river in the United States.

In 2011, up to 42,000 gallons poured out of a ruptured Exxon Mobil pipeline.

CNN's Dave Alsup contributed to this report.

the world is not enough

\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Is_Not_Enough

Back in Azerbaijan, Bond discloses to M that Elektra may not be as innocent as she seems, and hands her the locator card as proof of the theft: an alarm sounds, revealing that the stolen bomb from Kazakhstan is attached to an inspection rig heading towards the oil terminal. Bond and Jones enter the pipeline to deactivate the bomb, and Jones discovers that half of the plutonium is missing. They both jump clear of the rig and a large section of the pipe is destroyed. Bond and Jones are presumed killed. Back at the command centre, Elektra reveals that she killed her father as revenge for using her as bait for Renard. She abducts M, whom she resents for advising her father not to pay the ransom money.

The exterior of Kazakhstan nuclear facility was shot at the Bardenas Reales, in Navarre, Spain, and the exterior of oil refinery control centre at the Motorola building in Groundwell, Swindon.[14] The exterior of oil pipeline was filmed in Cwm Dyli, Snowdonia, Wales, while the production teams shot the oil pipeline explosion in Hankley Common, Elstead, Surrey. Istanbul, Turkey, was indeed used in the film and Elektra King's Baku villa was actually in the city, also using the famous Maiden's Tower which was used as Renard's hideout in Turkey. The underwater submarine scenes were filmed in The Bahamas.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigging

Pigging in the context of pipelines refers to the practice of using devices known as "pigs" to perform various maintenance operations on a pipeline. This is done without stopping the flow of the product in the pipeline.

These operations include but are not limited to cleaning and inspecting the pipeline. This is accomplished by inserting the pig into a 'pig launcher' (or 'launching station') - an oversized section in the pipeline, reducing to the normal diameter. The launcher / launching station is then closed and the pressure-driven flow of the product in the pipeline is used to push it along down the pipe until it reaches the receiving trap – the 'pig catcher' (or 'receiving station').

we'd never even know, it can be done without turning off ur oil

p.s.

In popular culture[edit]
A pig has been used as a plot device in three James Bond films: Diamonds Are Forever, where Bond disabled a pig to escape from a pipeline; The Living Daylights, where a pig was modified to secretly transport a person through the Iron Curtain; and The World Is Not Enough, where a pig was used to move a nuclear weapon through a pipeline.

A pig was also used as a plot device in the Tony Hillerman book The Sinister Pig where an abandoned pipeline from Mexico to the United States was used with a pig to transport illegal drugs.

http://www.pigtek.com/images/products/Brush-Cleaning-Pig-02.jpg

Tesla_WTC_Solution
1st February 2015, 00:36
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/31/europe/ukraine-crisis/index.html

Ukraine talks in Minsk yield no deal, source says
By Laura Smith-Spark and Lucy Pawle, CNN
Updated 2:38 PM ET, Sat January 31, 2015

(CNN)No agreement was reached in Belarus on Saturday in talks aimed at ending months of deadly fighting between the Ukrainian military and pro-Russian rebels, a diplomat with knowledge of the discussions said.

The talks in Belarus' capital, Minsk, ended "with no signature" on any proposals "after a couple of hours (of) discussions" relating to the bitter conflict that has killed thousands of people in eastern Ukraine, the diplomat said on condition of anonymity.

Discussions were unlikely to resume on Sunday, according to the diplomat.

"Differences were very wide and the atmosphere was described as not fruitful to agreement or cooperation," the diplomat said.

At the meeting were representatives of the Ukrainian government, Russian government and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, as well as representatives of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic and Luhansk People's Republic, Denis Pushilin and Vladislav Deinego, according to Ukraine's national news agency, Ukrinform.

The talks, which came on a week when fighting escalated in eastern Ukraine, had been expected to start Friday but were delayed.

TrJJ6ncp1fc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_of_fire

In a literary context, the Wheel of Fire may refer to the chain of tortuous or dire consequences that result from a single action.

1 Timothy 6:10

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

from the Hobbit (roughly):

(Smaug) had passed from an uneasy dream…to a doze, and from a doze to wide waking. There was a breath of strange air in his cave… He stirred and stretched forth his neck to sniff. Then he missed the cup!

Thieves! Fire! Murder! His rage passes (sic) description - the sort of rages that is seen only when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy suddenly lose something that they have long had but have never before used or wanted. His fire belched forth, the hall smoked, he shook the mountain-roots.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcxkymimTg1ryzpq8o1_500.jpg

Tesla_WTC_Solution
15th February 2015, 17:33
Derp!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bill-gates-investing-robber-baron-150000840.html

Bill Gates Is Investing Like A Robber Baron With This Stock

By Marshall Hargrave
June 20, 2014 11:00 AM

Most people know Bill Gates as the world's richest man thanks to Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), which he built into the world's largest software company.

However, today Microsoft represents only about one-fifth of his total holdings. His private investment company, Cascade Investments, and his charitable foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, hold most of Gates' assets.

His total assets, including his Microsoft stake, Cascade Investments and charitable foundation, are valued at over $100 billion. By selling his Microsoft stake over the years and diversifying his assets, Gates has focused on wealth preservation.

He plans to give most of his great fortune to charity -- but in his search for safety and stability, Gates is taking a page from past robber barons...

By investing in railroads.

The source of 19th-century fortunes for names like Vanderbilt and Gould, the railroad industry is just as important today. In 2009, Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK-B) made its largest purchase ever, buying rail transport company Burlington Northern Santa Fe for $34 billion.

Gates' largest holding outside of Microsoft is Canadian National Railway Co. (NYSE: CNI), which is the largest railroad in Canada. Between Cascade Investments and his charitable foundation, Gates is the largest shareholder of Canadian National Railway, with a 12% stake.

Gates has been gradually building his stake, worth over $6 billion, since 2006 when he disclosed owning over 5% of the company. Since 2006, CNI is up close to 200%, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average is up a mere 35%.

A driving force in the Canadian economy
Canadian National Railway operates a railroad network that stretches over 20,000 miles and connects three coasts: the Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf of Mexico. The railroad transports about C$250 billion (about $230 billion) worth of goods a year, including petroleum and coal, chemicals and fertilizer, grain, forest products, metals and auto parts.

In the first quarter, Canadian National Railway beat earnings expectations by C$0.04, and total net income was up 12% from a year ago. Revenue rose almost 9% and was C$60 million higher than analyst estimates. These results were particularly impressive considering the harsh winter weather in Canada and the U.S.

Due to the delay in approving the Keystone XL pipeline, Canadian National Railway remains the primary way that crude oil from Canada moves to the Gulf of Mexico. Even if the pipeline gets approval, it will be years before it is constructed and still will not be able to handle the growing production from the tar sands in northern Canada.

Another growth driver for Canadian National Railway is the need for "frac sand" in shale drilling and hydraulic fracturing. Canadian National Railway's revenues from frac sand shipments were up 23% in the first quarter, and this growth will likely continue. Rail remains the easiest and most convenient way to deliver frac sand to the shale regions of North Dakota and Montana. Canadian National Railway has expanded its Wisconsin facility to meet the demand for frac sand.

Canadian National Railway also remains well positioned to capitalize on the global food boom (which I wrote about earlier this month). The company benefits in two ways: First, it ships the fertilizer that the farmers need to grow their crops. Then, the farmers rely on Canadian National Railway to ship their grain to ports for export. Thanks to an expected record Canadian grain crop this year, Canadian National Railway projects its grain volumes will be 13% higher than average.

Shares of Canadian National Railway also look more attractive than the second-largest railroad in Canada, Canadian Pacific Railway (NYSE: CP). CNI trades at a forward price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio of 15.9 and an enterprise value-to-EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) ratio of 13. Its operating margin is an impressive 36%. Canadian National Railway also offers a 1.5% dividend yield, which is only a 28% payout of earnings.

In comparison, Canadian Pacific Railway trades at 17.3 times next year's earnings and an EV/EBITDA ratio of 16. Its operating margin is lower at 31%. Canadian Pacific Railway's dividend is also less than half Canadian National Railway's, coming in at 0.7%.

Risks to Consider: Canadian National Railway is highly dependent on the state of the U.S. and Canadian economies. In an economic slowdown, Canadian National Railway's rail shipments will be affected.

Action to Take --> Trading at the industry-average forward P/E of 20.8 would put CNI at $81. That's upside of 30%.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27387287

12 May 2014 Last updated at 22:29 ET

Lac-Megantic train explosion: Three charged in Quebec

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/74809000/jpg/_74809857_74809509.jpg

The train rolled downhill for seven miles (11km) before derailing at Lac-Megantic

Three workers and a railway line will be charged with criminal negligence in the explosion that levelled a Quebec town last year, authorities have said.

Thomas Harding, Jean Demaitre and Richard Labrie, and the Montreal, Maine and Atlantic Railway will be prosecuted, authorities said.

The 6 July blast occurred when dozens of rail tankers of crude oil came loose and crashed in Lac-Megantic.

The town was destroyed and 47 people were killed in the inferno.

Mr Hardin, the train's engineer, was arrested on Monday, as were Mr Demaitre, manager of train operations, and Mr Labrie, in charge of rail circulation that day. They are scheduled to appear in court in Quebec on Tuesday.

Montreal, Maine and Atlantic Railway is now defunct, after Canada suspended its operating licence in August.

The three men and the company each face 47 counts of criminal negligence causing death, Rene Verret of the Quebec prosecutor's office told the Montreal Gazette newspaper

The train with 72 tankers full of crude oil had been parked uphill from Lac-Megantic and was unattended when it rolled out of control downhill for seven miles (11km) into the town, then derailed.

Several tankers exploded, destroying 40 buildings.

The blasts destroyed a large area of Lac-Megantic and forced some 2,000 residents to flee their homes.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68647000/jpg/_68647748_canada_train_fire_before_after_624.jpg

http://stories.weather.com/boom

BOOM: North America's Explosive Oil-by-Rail Problem
Weather Channel

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-02/gates-backed-cn-wins-in-2014-while-buffett-s-bnsf-falters

Gates-Backed CN Wins in 2014 While Buffett’s BNSF Falters

http://media.gotraffic.net/images/iAnc0lEMO5eU/v13/1200x-1.jpg

BNSF Railway Co., owned by Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is struggling. North America’s biggest railroad by sales is grappling with slow traffic and is being scrutinized by U.S. regulators for poor service, spurring concern that it risks a permanent loss of some customers.

“CN still is the gold standard today, and they continue to execute extremely well,” said Stephen Groff, a fund manager at the Cambridge Global Asset Management unit of Toronto-based CI Investments Inc., which owns Canadian National stock. BNSF “is having some real problems. They are fixing these problems, but they are a little late.”

edit: the following ATS thread title had some info inside it about geoengineering experts investing in BP before the Macondo explosion

Something MAJOR is happening: Vast amounts of methane leaking from Australia's biggest coal seam

ted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 03:34 PM link
ATS Please read/Google about:

anoxic events
sudden catastrophic climate change
methane and earth's temperature
methane greenhouse gas
methane many times more hazardous than CO2
methane clathrates
clathrate gun hypothesis
CO2 sequestration
Sleipnir A CO2 project
Equal and Opposite reaction and gas physics