PDA

View Full Version : Scatter the seeds

Bubu
2nd September 2013, 16:35
After studying permaculture, hydroponics, aqua phonics, guerilla gardening, terra preta etc. To “scatter the seeds” is the most important lesson I have learned.
At present almost all of the forests are animal food forest. This is because it is the animals that scatter the seeds.
Think about this. How many oranges can we harvest from a single orange tree during its entire lifetime? And this orange tree essentially comes from a single seed. How many seeds are there in a single fruit? How many fruit are consumed each day? And how many seeds are dump in the garbage each day.
I have been saving seeds and/or scattering them. On average I can save more than fifty seeds each day or 1500 seeds a month. If only 1 % of these seeds makes it, that would be 15 orange trees per month. that’s a lot of oranges.
If all of the seeds in every kitchen around the world is scattered or planted instead of being dump in the garbage. In less than ten years no person shall ever work for food or be hungry. We will all be like birds hoping from tree to tree to have our fill and then scatter the seeds preferably poo in the bushes too.
It’s Ironic that we look into complications to solve world hunger when the solution is right there in every kitchen and we need no education to do it. Save and scatter save and scatter. Simple as that
Learn from the animals learn from nature. As Victor Schauberger said“Comprehend and copy nature” (Not me the real one):wacko:
Please scatter the seeds.

silverfish
2nd September 2013, 17:03
nature have you seen this hope you enjoy :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY_zuNtf3_g

I was thinking of taking hard wood cuttings from currant bushes and planting them around very easy to do

silver

Rollo
2nd September 2013, 21:05
I do the same, I'm collecting the seeds whenever I can and love it;)

Rollo

Maria Stade
2nd September 2013, 21:25
Im in the habit of planting seeds in forrests and beside roads. Nuts, cherry apple, pear, peach, grape, kiwi and so on.
There are perennial plants that can be spread to. And plants that will seed them selves.
Unions garlic ..lol :thumb: Lets re-seed the world.

Good places are often beside a ditch (on the other side)

Maria Stade
2nd September 2013, 21:36
At the moment I am harvesting Buck thorn and they like many other berrys have seeds .. and yeah you have propobly figured out that I will happen to dropp them on some nice place.

Here are they .. Sorry speak swedish in the film :)

http://s779.photobucket.com/user/Vitabuffeln/media/Havtorn-13_zps9ca84988.mp4.html

Lefty Dave
2nd September 2013, 21:42
Wife and I do 'scatter' often... usually avocado , orange, grapefruit, peach, nectarine...things we buy from the store...eat...then put in a pot or the ground within a few days...
sadly, most do not sprout...I think maybe most of our food here in Florida is irradiated...to make it last longer on the shelves...however I am not sure, as I have never seen it done. I read that the food distributors set up the devices, but never saw one. Anyway, we have a few successes...latest is a guanabana plant from PR that is doing fine !
blessings
end of line.

Maria Stade
2nd September 2013, 22:22
Lefty Dave that is true so localy grown seeds are often better.
I have gathered seeds from a lots of quince and only ONE of maybe 50 have germinated.
But I can take cuttings from that ONE :)

But it will take may years before I can pick my own fruit.

yamced
2nd September 2013, 22:27
Nature, Thanks for this wonderful idea. I always throw my apple cores out but have never considered doing this with all the food I eat. Thanks

Maria Stade
2nd September 2013, 22:54
Yamced take out the seeds because the fruit meat has its own hormones to stop the seeds from germinating.
That is why you never find new apple trees under an apple tree.

soleil
2nd September 2013, 23:07
what kind of fruit or veggies(seeds) are easiest to save and seed? dont most fruits and veggies have to get overripe first? i appreciate any help on this

Gardener
2nd September 2013, 23:53
With apples the seed will revert to the root stock which is seldom a good fruit bearing tree. Apples are grown from grafts taken from the tree and grafting onto rootstock.

thunder24
3rd September 2013, 00:07
what kind of fruit or veggies(seeds) are easiest to save and seed? dont most fruits and veggies have to get overripe first? i appreciate any help on this

Green beans are good to save...
some say you need to chill your fruit seeds first, like put them through a winter in your fridge before you plant them, the amount of hours they would b in hibernation in nature...
supposdedly this will get them going faster ...

I'v saved watermelon and cantelope seeds with ease...
must green seeds are easy, also radishes...

Garlic is easy to grow every year by replanting the cloves...

CD7
3rd September 2013, 01:26
I love the way you think!!!! I have been doing this recently...where I plant the seeds that come from my produce. Papaya grows like crazy and you get a lot of seeds from one fruit. I wish I had more free range land to do it--can only do it to a certain point if you rent. I FANTASIZE that eatable plants and trees are everywhere....your thread makes me go pitter padder :wub:

Bubu
3rd September 2013, 10:30
Great to know that many of us are doing this. Local growing perennial plants are best to save and scatter. The fact that they grow locally means they are adapted to the local condition. Also you must observe the habit of each plant. Papaya for example will grow faster if there are herbs around it that will provide shade while its root has not yet reach deep enough where soil is wet. This is normal in most plants where a shorter variety will serve as surrogate mother giving shade to the growing taller plant. and when the taller plant overgrew the surrogate plant will die off giving way to taller plants. I have studied forest succession, it helps in determining where I should throw particular seeds.

If I want to germinate seeds I put them somewhere that is shaded the whole day and wet soil all the time, just put it on wet ground and it will germinate. But once germinated I plant them and make sure that its always moist otherwise seed will rot. I have device a plant and forget scheme. Normally soil has more moisture the deeper you go. so I dig deep depending on the kind of seed, put the seed in the hole and cover with at least an inch thick of coco choir. The bigger the seed the deeper the hole and the thicker the coco choir. The choir will provide the moisture but is light enough for the germinating seed to go through.

Tip: in germinating seeds the key is high humidity. Papaya seeds I just place on the ground, with at least two hours sun, water then cover with transparent plastic. Five days and they started sprouting.

CD7 that's my fantasy as well. when I was a kid I use to sleep on the branches of fruit trees after having my fill. My favorite was mango because it has large branches nice shade and of course super delicious fruit.

Thank you for scattering the seeds.

Gardener
3rd September 2013, 10:45
This post was lost when we were broken into, so posting again here.

This is a UK source of 'real seeds' non GMO, non irradiated, etc, and a small family company in Wales with good ethical practices.
They can send to Europe but I think they cannot send to USA perhaps because of import regulations.
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

I get my seeds here and have started seed saving. Each pack of seeds comes with instructions on how to grow and how to save the seed. Also the website itself has so much helpful advice plus seed saving instructions on every plant
Highly recommended.

Bubu
3rd September 2013, 10:46
nature have you seen this hope you enjoy :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY_zuNtf3_g

I was thinking of taking hard wood cuttings from currant bushes and planting them around very easy to do

silver

Very inspiring indeed. What an achievement. Hope I will be able to accomplish even half of his.

william r sanford72
3rd September 2013, 13:43
the uk..ahead of the game in lotta respects.i think this thread is very cool.very good way to think.i follow a twitter acount called seedballs.concept is cool.wish usa..wasnt so slow.but we is catching up...on side note.old school apple trees are good trees for source.just takes 15 years to see the results if planted by seed.plant em for your kids or grandchildren.pear trees to.

Octavusprime
3rd September 2013, 15:56
With apples the seed will revert to the root stock which is seldom a good fruit bearing tree. Apples are grown from grafts taken from the tree and grafting onto rootstock.

This is incorrect. The apples will use genes from the grafted tree but the seeds are extremely heterogenous. Meaning they are a complete mix of all gene combinations from both the female plant and the pollen father. Every plant will be different. Which is great for the apple trees diversity and ensures a strong species.

Most of the plants will produce inferior tasting apples but... All apples can be used for hard cider. If you do find that perfect fruit though you can clone it indefinitely.

I always throw my seeds outside somewhere. Just a few days ago I meticulously spent a half hour sucking the seeds out of a blackberry for just this purpose. Most won't live to maturity but if one does, my work was well worth it.

Maria Stade
3rd September 2013, 17:00
I must agree with Octavusprime all apple trees may not be tasty to eat but you can make yam and use them in otherways.
And it will always be possible to graft on them som better tasting aple to.
If you are lucky you get a good tasting one.

S-L
3rd September 2013, 19:51
What a fantastic idea, thank you for posting.

It's also worth considering that climate change may be one of the greatest threats to our ability to feed ourselves. Focusing on spreading seeds of plant life that are very efficiency at taking CO2 from the atmosphere would help in this regard.

This reminds me of a project currently being undertaken by Sadhguru. He lives in the Tamil Nadu province of India. His aim is to plant 100 million trees within this province, thereby increasing the forest cover to 33% of land. He plants a variety of trees and plants. Some are food sources, some attract beneficial animals and insects, others are used in traditional medicine, etc. They've already planted 18+ million trees... all through volunteer and corporate donations. Here's (http://projectgreenhands.org/)a link to their site.

Bubu
4th September 2013, 09:43
Another Idea that came to mind is to give priority to perennial plants that is food both to humans and animals, i.e. jack fruit, passion fruit guavas etc. Animals will be happy as well and can help in scattering the seeds. My plan is to cut trees that are food to animals only ones the trees that feed both humans and animals are ready to take its place.

Bubu
4th September 2013, 12:01
Hello H-L
My ready advice to fellow farmers is "plant for food and not for money. Give farm produce to the poor sell to fellow workers cheaply and sell ten times the price to the rich man. If they don't buy then fine they can eat their money".

It's a pity that most minds have been corrupted that most of what a person do is because of money.
Thanks for the link, That is actually what's in my mind. To organize and involve people to plant perennial plants to replace shade tress with a fruit bearing shade trees.