PDA

View Full Version : Best food choice, survival planning?

mojo
4th September 2013, 03:05
I thought this was a good quiz. Which choice would you make it might surprise what the best choice is.

8ZX9o5mKRtU

Please don't wait to plan, and bug-out might mean a long term survival plan which is much longer than 72 hours.

Ernie Nemeth
4th September 2013, 06:08
I picked the MRE, I lost my head for a moment and thought maybe the army at least got that right. But, you know an MRE has all the nutrients and amino acids and other good stuff to - rebuild your muscles!

Okay, so, chineese noodles @ 10cents a bag, 19 bags, $1.90 - check!

But I'm bringing a can or two of beans, too. They're yummy after a day on the trail. And some flatbread, too. Maybe some fruit roll-ups? .........

Lefty Dave
4th September 2013, 15:03
G'day
Great post...I keep 12 pks ramen noodles, 12 cans (5oz)Hormel smoked ham/12 cans chicken chunks, 12 cans kipper snacks/sardines, box of saltines....vitamins,...I rotate these twice a year...and have done so for several years...it will do in a pinch !!
end of line.

Paladin14
4th September 2013, 16:05
I picked up the book "When Technology Fails" by Matthew Stein after listening to his Project Camelot interview, and a major takeaway I got from it was that you can easily test whether a plant is edible by crushing it up and rubbing it on the inside of your wrist. If your skin turns red or pink, don't eat it.

I got to thinking that if there were some major breakdown of society and if crap hit the fan that bad, then you can always just go outside and eat the plants growing in your environment. Any worse case scenario where plants aren't able to grow outside anywhere, then you're as good as dead anyway.

I've been becoming more and more liquitarian with my diet, one of my drinks is water with Shilajit powder. This stuff makes you feel great, strong, and satiated. I bought a big bag of it from earth shift products, it was pricey but it lasts a very long time. If there were a breakdown of society i think the shilajit powder would be the most important thing to have, personally. Its like a smokey dirt, no one will know to take it from you they'll just think its dirt- if there were a worry of looters.

Also blue green algae, I use E3Live brand, it makes you feel amazing. Blue Green algae, Shilajit powder, and an atmospheric water generator (ecoblue.com) with solar kit would be my personal ideal survival food preparations.

S-L
4th September 2013, 16:14
According to the Great Waves of Change book, we should all have 90 days worth of food at the very least. Doesn't really recommend any particular type of food though. I've been thinking about that new product called Soylent. It's all the stuff a human body might need in a powder form. Kind of futuristic in a way. Might make the perfect emergency food stuff. Anyone try it?

cursichella1
4th September 2013, 17:01
I've been thinking about that new product called Soylent. It's all the stuff a human body might need in a powder form. Kind of futuristic in a way. Might make the perfect emergency food stuff. Anyone try it?

LMAO. I would think anyone over 40 would avoid anything called SOYLENT like the plague! (S-L, you must be young...thanks, this made my day!)

Soylent Green (1973) 97 min - Mystery | Sci-Fi | Thriller - 9 May 1973 (USA)

In an overpopulated futuristic Earth, a New York police detective finds himself marked for murder by government agents when he gets too close to a bizarre state secret involving the origins of a revolutionary and needed new foodstuff. (Called SOYLENT GREEN)
Stars: Charlton Heston, Edward G. Robinson...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/

I won't spoil it for you by telling you what the SOYLENT was made up of. To this day, I freak even at the sight of tofu. Otherwise, it is a great movie, in a campy, classic 70's sort of way.

Amysenthia
4th September 2013, 19:07
I can understand what he is saying about the weight and calories of the ramen noodles. However, i disagree that this makes the best choice for Bug Out food. Calories aren't just calories. Ramen noodles are a lot of empty, high glycemic, calories and if you are in a situation where water is low they are extremely high in sodium content which could lead to hypernatremia (too much salt).

A better choice based on this thinking would be bagged nuts. An assortment with different types would be good like walnuts, peanuts, almonds. This would provide complex carbohydrates, some salt, with excellent sources of iron, magnesium, etc which would be the nutrients needed for a long hike. The Ramen noodles have no nutrition other than carbs and forget the chemical seasoning packet, theres nothing of value in it.

Plus they would not weigh much and would pack and travel well. Also, dried fruits are excellent for hiking. I do appreciate the way he is making people think about their choices though. I just don't agree with his choice of Ramen Noodles. They are worthless biological food substances.

ThePythonicCow
4th September 2013, 21:11
I just don't agree with his choice of Ramen Noodles. They are worthless biological food substances.
For three days on the (literal) run, if you were healthy enough to start, then calories and water are what will be critical. Similarly, gasoline (petro) would be the critical automotive fluid if you're driving, not air in tires, water in radiator, oil in crankcase, freon in A/C, ...

Your body needs all those other nutrients, and your car needs all those other fluids, but if body and car were reasonably well cared for, they most likely have enough of the other nutrients and fluids to get by for three days.

Ernie Nemeth
4th September 2013, 21:25
Ya, that's true Paul. From a strictly physical standpoint. But the stress and extreme activity could benefit from more substantial foods on an emotional/phychological level. Maybe if it is only three days even that does not matter. But I would be in better spirits if I could grab a handful of nuts or raisins just for the quick fix, without stopping, heating water, mixing, finding a spoon, eating then cleaning up, packing away.