PDA

View Full Version : Driving Our Vehicles (The Smith System and more)

Kalamos
8th September 2013, 10:40

Kalamos
8th September 2013, 10:52

ginnyk
8th September 2013, 15:44
When my husband and I were driving coast to coast, we also learned the Smith system. An excellent course in safe driving. I liked what you said about keeping your cool. With a full driving day ahead, I could never afford to expend the energy of getting angry or upset with someone who did something rude or stupid. I learned to take a deep breath, give a sigh that said "bless you - I hope you don't kill yourself in front of me". It was my choice whether I would let someone else with a gut full of anger dictate how I was going to feel and let him ruin my day. That is my personal power. It has served me well through many life situations.

I agree completely about the distractions of cell phones AND books, makeup, newspapers, food, pets, making out, kids in the backseat and the many other things that truck drivers witness. One time a woman with a car full of kids pulled back onto the interstate from the shoulder directly in front of us while looking into the back seat. If my husband had not done an immediate swerve to the left, it would have been the last thing she would have looked at. That one still gives me chills. People drive completely unconscious of anything outside the little bubble of their vehicle.

Pulling in front of a 40 tons of loaded semi is like pulling in front of a train - it can't stop.

Interesting thread. We spend so much time talking about how we are going to survive all the things that are going on, and the odds are that traffic is the most dangerous. Thank you.

Gin

ghostrider
8th September 2013, 16:58
traffic is good picture of us on this planet living , all going somewhere , some just want to get there, some want to enjoy the ride , some want to be seen, other want to blend in , when everyone is important, we will adjust what we do , flowing together for a common purpose ... if you are retired or not working, be mindful and give the road to working people , dont travel at 8 , or 5 , especially at noon on friday ... any other time the road is all yours everyone else is working ... I travel for my job sometimes in multiple locations , there is always someone retired in front of me , going 20 mph in a place you cannot pass , it does errk me , my employer wants it done yesterday , as soon as I start I'm behind ... the rat race ... they don't require drivers education in school anymore , it shows ... the left lane is the fast lane, the right the slower... driving on the highway in the right lane doesn't allow merging traffic to get on , move over and let on ramps have a clear run to merge , then move back over to the right lane letting traffic keep on flowing without congestion ... most will stay where they are and make on coming traffic move around them, it erkks me ...

avid
8th September 2013, 17:34
It's the same in the UK - we are expected to 'move over' to let lanes filter in, but sometimes it just isn't possible, so I brake gently to let the filter in. In a thunderstorm I was tailgated so badly I had a severe panic attack, I tapped my brake lights for ages and the big lorry just got closer and closer - I felt very faint and dizzy at the wheel. The lorry was trying to exit the next junction, and somehow I cruised into the emergency lane. There was barely any visibility that day - so much spray. I will NEVER go to IKEA on the M62 ever again! I absolutely hate driving now - it has to be a clear day, no wind - otherwise I only drive in the slow lane at 50mph. Eventually - I get to where I'm going - but it's an horrendous time - every time.

Kalamos
8th September 2013, 21:27

Sérénité
9th September 2013, 09:13
I will NEVER go to IKEA on the M62 ever again!

Me neither Avid, the amount of times Ive sat on that carpark in tears, wondering how im going to get those huge boxes into my car and get back down the M62...my spatial awareness needs some working on :)