PDA

View Full Version : Narcissistic Rudness

grannyfranny100
11th September 2013, 23:40
Over the past few months, I have noticed an unpleasant rudeness. People coming to a thread and stating they haven't read the entire thread but we should listen to what they have to add or they want some enlightened member to summarize what has been stated that was worthwhile.

I find such approaches really says a lot about the writer's outrageous self importance about their time, their lack of interest in other members views or their down right laziness.

Perhaps it isn't just their narcissistic personality style but instead reflects how often people quote more than necessary from another's post and include videos time and time again. That makes a thread get very long, very fast.

Can the mods slice the person's post so people will have samples of a shorter way to do this? Or return the person's post with a link to Sticky: Automated Quotes - you *can* edit them and remove DEAD TEXT - here is how...

Thank you.

norman
12th September 2013, 00:06
A sand stall lane here on this forum would be a great short-sharp tool of moderation, go for it.

On the other hand, I really think that intelligent condensation of information is the name of the game here and everywhere, so I wouldn't knock folks who ask for it at the outset when they dive into a messy thread.

Ellisa
12th September 2013, 00:27
I think I know what you are talking about Grannyfanny. I often do not read all of a post, sometimes as I am not interested but sometimes because it is rambling as well. There is nothing ill-mannered about that. However I agree that to ask for a summary is rather rude! Maybe fewer of us are willing to read a whole article before thinking a bit and then commenting. After all Twitter etc. are scarcely deep and incisive ways to understand a complicated topic, but many do not let that stop them adding their point of view.

Often people say they have no time to read the longer posts. That's OK, but it is your choice to read or not, and if you do not want to watch an hour long video or wade through a three page letter then move on.

If you really are a granny(!) you too will have had, many times, to precis long passages as part of your class work in various subjects. This gives the skills to choose the salient points of an opinion piece or factual longer piece of prose. Recently I taught one of my granddaughters how to do this! Sadly this is no longer part of the curriculum, but I note that she can locate information and use the computer very cleverly and creatively. I cannot even post interesting articles etc. Maybe analytical reading is no longer such a desirable skill in such an information rich world. Actually, I personally feel that such skills are really more important than ever!

Bob
12th September 2013, 00:41
Over the past few months, I have noticed an unpleasant rudeness. People coming to a thread and stating they haven't read the entire thread but we should listen to what they have to add or they want some enlightened member to summarize what has been stated that was worthwhile.

Howdy GrannyFranny100

I find it hard where people post videos, then talk about the video so we have to watch the whole sometimes 2 hour long video to get the point. I simply don't have the time or bandwidth to watch a video and read all the posts in the thread to catch up. I would just love a summary and some key locations in the video, snippets or something that makes the point, shares the key data. Same with the audio mp3 posts.. Anything longer than a minute or two and it gets tedious and one has to dedicate the day or whatever it takes to get the data which could have been summarized quickly.

Glad you brought this up.

I try during my threads to bring the relevant topics back up during the summary, however at times I find, when answering a question a person may have or comment on something, it can be out of context it appears, if one hasn't read the rest of the thread.

I dunno if it can be self serving narcissism if one is always beating their own drum to hear themselves speak.

I think the Forum for the most part really gets folk's juices stirring.. I suppose if it is relevant to the times, thats a good thing.

Bob

Kristin
12th September 2013, 00:57
In many cases a summary let's go of the all important learning curve that one gains through reading the material at length. Reading posts at length also brings discernment back into the equation... Over all however, I do see the point of summary and would also be gratified if folks kept up with their own threads, tried to self moderate, and added in a brief summary of content on occasion. A good thread will have longevity and interest if it is well researched, is engaging, and stays on topic IMO.

From the Heart,
Kristin

jagman
12th September 2013, 01:06
Ok, I have to admit I have not read the entire thread lol but... just kidnya :focus:

KiwiElf
12th September 2013, 01:11
As an ex Uni tutor, I agree wholeheartedly Kristin. Some of my students were always asking for a summary because they didn't want to,.. or couldn't be bothered, reading the entire chapter = poor learning skills and just plain lazy in many cases (not all)! Sure, we don't always have time to read or watch through a lengthy piece, but perhaps it shouldn't be criticized and opinion reserved unless we do read/watch the whole thing. (It can be likened to only watching the trailer of a movie versus watching the whole movie).

Altho helpful, a summary is just that - a fraction of the whole. One person's summary (ie the poster), of a whole piece isn't likely to be the same as someone elses and important nuances and details are often lost. (Likewise, lengthy threads - start at the beginning, not the end) ... And I'm just as guilty as others! ;)

norman
12th September 2013, 01:32
As an ex Uni tutor, I agree wholeheartedly Kristin. Some of my students were always asking for a summary because they didn't want to,.. or couldn't be bothered, reading the entire chapter = poor learning skills and just plain lazy in many cases (not all)! Sure, we don't always have time to read or watch through a lengthy piece, but perhaps it shouldn't be criticized and opinion reserved unless we do read/watch the whole thing. (It can be likened to only watching the trailer of a movie versus watching the whole movie).

Altho helpful, a summary is just that - a fraction of the whole. One person's summary (ie the poster), of a whole piece isn't likely to be the same as someone elses and important nuances and details are often lost. (Likewise, lengthy threads - start at the beginning, not the end) ... And I'm just as guilty as others! ;)

Hi, I'm an ex perfectionist. I know where the passion for perfectly real knowledge gets to hurt the most, right there in the self image.

Since I've, luckily, had my self image trashed, I'm more wanderer in my thinking.

Even though I harbor a personal bias towards a thorough doctorate of input savagery, I've more recently come to new terms with the phenomenon of information overload, AS A WEAPON !

Yes, I'm talking about a weopanised information field.

Our old school ideas about reading our ways to the top of the hill are very probably sabotaged and now spiked to make us read our ways to the bottom of the hill, instead.

Food for thought, I hope.

Case on point:

Why do Universities churn out an almost complete wall to wall list of academic idiots who don't yet have a clue what's going on? ( leaving out left brain - right brain argument or discussion, for now ) ?

[ I'm not even sure I believe in the left brain - right brain thing yet, anyway ]

ulli
12th September 2013, 02:34

Hi, I'm an ex perfectionist. I know where the passion for perfectly real knowledge gets to hurt the most, right there in the self image.

Since I've, luckily, had my self image trashed, I'm more wanderer in my thinking.

Even though I harbor a personal bias towards a thorough doctorate of input savagery, I've more recently come to new terms with the phenomenon of information overload, AS A WEAPON !

Yes, I'm talking about a weopanised information field.

Our old school ideas about reading our ways to the top of the hill are very probably sabotaged and now spiked to make us read our ways to the bottom of the hill, instead.

Food for thought, I hope.

Case on point:

Why do Universities churn out an almost complete wall to wall list of academic idiots who don't yet have a clue what's going on? ( leaving out left brain - right brain argument or discussion, for now ) ?

[ I'm not even sure I believe in the left brain - right brain thing yet, anyway ]

In 1978 I saw a demonstration of biofeedback for the first time. They had a TV monitor, and had wired up some guy who was sitting on a chair in front of it...his head and palms of his hands had these nodes, and connected him to the monitor. There were colored lines moving outwards, from the center of the monitor, to the left and right edges. The man was given certain words to think about, and the lines on the monitor either shrunk back or extended further. I don't remember the words, it was so long ago. They explained that meditation would produce a perfectly symmetrical image. The mind had to be in the alpha state for that. They called it the "Mind Monitor".
After that demonstration I became convinced of the various theories about left and right brain being true.

P.S. I didn't mean to distract, sorry. Should I have sent this information via PM?

Vitalux
12th September 2013, 04:24
I find such approaches really says a lot about the writer's outrageous self importance about their time, their lack of interest in other members views or their down right laziness.

It also might serve as a reminder of just how Human we all are, and how fallible we humans all are.

:grouphug:

happyexpat
12th September 2013, 16:26
Some people are just trolls.