PDA

View Full Version : disabling remote desktop connection : 0 )

Nanoo Nanoo
16th September 2013, 09:03
In case you didnt want this application to work , this is how you disable it...

is this the best way :

gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > don't run specified Windows applications > mstsc.exe

aaaah

Naniu

Lovespot
16th September 2013, 13:20

is this the best way :

gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > don't run specified Windows applications > mstsc.exe

aaaah

Naniu

Or you can continue using it, just change the port to something else than 3389.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

Nanoo Nanoo
16th September 2013, 22:40
i think most people using it wouldnt have a clue its being used ...

N

Anchor
16th September 2013, 22:47
Sadly most people wont have a clue what this entire thread is about.

Tangri
16th September 2013, 22:49

is this the best way :

aaaah

Naniu

What is pro and con for this?

Anchor
16th September 2013, 23:58
Microsoft Windows computers provide the ability for people who are appropriately authenticated to log on remote to them - in this way you do not physically need to be at the computer to run programs on it.

This is common in professional environments - someone can ring me up for computer help and instead of having to get the lift up to their floor, I can log into their computer and have a halfway decent chance in most cases to see for my self what the problem is. This is sometimes called Remote Desktop Assistance.

All I need for a remote connection to work between my and your computer is:

1) a working network connection between my and your computers. The internet is a possible pathway.
2) a target computer prepared to accept a remote login (ie; "Terminal Services" or an equivalent is running)
3) permission to do it - I need to have an account with appropriate permissions
4) an appropriate client program. (The standard one is MSTSC.EXE)

Naniu's approach prevents the standard client from running. To be honest I am not really sure if that is all that useful.

In my opinion one should address the problem at (2) by configuring your computer to disable incoming remote connections unless there is a considered and good reason to enable them.

That way no one can use the standard methods to control your computer.

This is not complete information.

Nanoo Nanoo
17th September 2013, 12:17
1 : i dont like having a remote desktop service i didnt ask for

2 : i dont like having a service on my computer that i cannot modify ie. whenever i change its settings it changes its self back.

3 : if you go into your remote settings its default setting ( that i can desypher ) is for automatic connection without letting you know its happening.

if thats something you want on your computer then by all means but for those who dont and im getting to the real crux of this thread ( like its some sort of mystery ) there is a way to disable it.

Ta naaaa !

Sorry for the sruprise and mystery but im not sure if i just came out and said it that you all wouldnt believe me ( or something )

ugh ....

N