PDA

View Full Version : Man arrested at Large Hadron Collider claims he's from the future

Vidya Moksha
1st April 2010, 20:31
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029552,49305387,00.htm?s_cid=33

April's fool?.. brief artcile, i will post here:

A would-be saboteur arrested today at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland made the bizarre claim that he was from the future. Eloi Cole, a strangely dressed young man, said that he had travelled back in time to prevent the LHC from destroying the world.

The LHC successfully collided particles at record force earlier this week, a milestone Mr Cole was attempting to disrupt by stopping supplies of Mountain Dew to the experiment's vending machines. He also claimed responsibility for the infamous baguette sabotage in November last year.

Mr Cole was seized by Swiss police after CERN security guards spotted him rooting around in bins. He explained that he was looking for fuel for his 'time machine power unit', a device that resembled a kitchen blender.

Police said Mr Cole, who was wearing a bow tie and rather too much tweed for his age, would not reveal his country of origin. "Countries do not exist where I am from. The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power, the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone. It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."

This isn't the first time time-travel has been blamed for mishaps at the LHC. Last year, the Japanese physicist Masao Ninomiya and Danish string-theory pioneer Holger Bech Nielsen put forward the hypothesis that the Higgs boson was so "abhorrent" that it somehow caused a ripple in time that prevented its own discovery.

Professor Brian Cox, a former CERN physicist and full-time rock'n'roll TV scientist, was sympathetic to Mr Cole. "Bless him, he sounds harmless enough. At least he didn't mention bloody black holes."

Mr Cole was taken to a secure mental health facility in Geneva but later disappeared from his cell. Police are baffled, but not that bothered.

Majorion
1st April 2010, 20:48
Well obviously they've put this machine to work more than once, and, nothing happened. Just as Stephen Hawking predicted, that no extraordinary or reality changing event will occur. I found an article the other day on The Wall Street Journal, by Michio Kaku, of all people:

Michio Kaku: A Second Big Bang in Geneva? - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304252704575155710695957900.html)

Anyway he makes a good argument the LHC will improve our understanding of physics, dimensions, and dark matter. Analyzing the data will take some time, at least whenever "they" decide to release.

viking
1st April 2010, 20:49
Hey Vidya...I was going to post this... But i realized the date!!! ha ha

viking

Holly Lindin
1st April 2010, 22:24
Okay, so is this story true or no? (Hard to trust anybody on April first . . . :))

<3

iceman
1st April 2010, 22:42
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029552,49305387,00.htm?s_cid=33

April's fool?.. brief artcile, i will post here:

A would-be saboteur arrested today at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland made the bizarre claim that he was from the future. Eloi Cole, a strangely dressed young man, said that he had travelled back in time to prevent the LHC from destroying the world.

The LHC successfully collided particles at record force earlier this week, a milestone Mr Cole was attempting to disrupt by stopping supplies of Mountain Dew to the experiment's vending machines. He also claimed responsibility for the infamous baguette sabotage in November last year.

Mr Cole was seized by Swiss police after CERN security guards spotted him rooting around in bins. He explained that he was looking for fuel for his 'time machine power unit', a device that resembled a kitchen blender.

Police said Mr Cole, who was wearing a bow tie and rather too much tweed for his age, would not reveal his country of origin. "Countries do not exist where I am from. The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power, the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone. It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."

This isn't the first time time-travel has been blamed for mishaps at the LHC. Last year, the Japanese physicist Masao Ninomiya and Danish string-theory pioneer Holger Bech Nielsen put forward the hypothesis that the Higgs boson was so "abhorrent" that it somehow caused a ripple in time that prevented its own discovery.

Professor Brian Cox, a former CERN physicist and full-time rock'n'roll TV scientist, was sympathetic to Mr Cole. "Bless him, he sounds harmless enough. At least he didn't mention bloody black holes."

Mr Cole was taken to a secure mental health facility in Geneva but later disappeared from his cell. Police are baffled, but not that bothered.

great story wonder if it is true or not,,,,
it was a little hard to read with all the different colours you used to write it.
still good thought
peace
iceman

Church
2nd April 2010, 00:59
Obviously it is an april fool's joke. The entire article is written in a humorous, tongue-in-cheek kind of way. Very entertaining though!

Tamara
2nd April 2010, 01:04
Sounds like total toss to me!

Vidya Moksha
2nd April 2010, 01:09
I use gaian night, i will try and restrict the colours to those that can be seen in both skins.

THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A JOKE, BUT MADE ME SMILE.... :D

Humble Janitor
2nd April 2010, 07:20
I wish it were real. The reference to kit-kats gave it away.

Carol
2nd April 2010, 20:21
Dr. Who strikes again.

Agape
2nd April 2010, 21:07
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/PaldenLhamo/tweety.jpg

BrianEn
4th April 2010, 03:18
They say truth is stranger than fiction.