PDA

View Full Version : Crashed my motorcycle

dpwishy
25th September 2013, 02:23
I am at a loss for words.....

Today I was going to pick up my CSA (community shared agriculture). Its a system where a farmer sells shares and you buy a share of the farm. I am part of a 4 acre organic/pesticide free farm. There is 70 shares on this farm and I own one so each week I go and pick up my 1/70th share of the farms harvest that week. On the way there I crashed my motorcycle going 40-45 mph. The lady in front of me never used a blinker and jacked her breaks to make a turn. I had almost no time to react and had to slam on my breaks. I am not sure if my bike went sideways, or if I went over the handle bars. It all happened so fast. All I know is I was tossed from my bike at that speed.

I just had a conversation with my sister last friday about how I feel like I am protected. I used to run from my path when I was a young adult. I was told I was here for a certain reason and I used to do sadistic things to try and test that. Not because I knew I couldnt hurt my self but because I was trying to take my self from my path. I wanted nothing to do with it, it felt like nothing but a burden as back then all I cared about was my self. I would take certain cocktails of substances I knew were deadly on purpose. One time I got brought to the hospital blowing a .41 blood alcohol level, the doctors had no idea how a 135 lbs person was alive at that level. The time I mentioned above with the cocktail, I remember my body dying but my spirit was being held by something in my body.

I actually developed an addiction to alcohol because alcohol was one of the things that if I consumed, the "voice" would stop talking to me. It was my way to run from my path. I have learned to love my self and accept my role, it was a hard battle. Even when I loved my self, I ran from my path with alcohol for so long that I became addicted. Even when I learned to love my self I had this monkey on my back for many years. It was one of my hardest battles and on October 26th I will have one year sobriety.

Back to today, I was thrown to the pavement from my bike going 40-45 mph and I literally got up like nothing happened. Everyone stopped, people were calling 911. I had about 20 people around me and when I got up everyone was telling me to lay down. I got up and took off my helmet and walked to the side of the road, the look on everyone face was priceless. I asked if someone could help me lift up my bike and they said to just leave it, to stay down. I finally got someone to lift my bike up, I got on it just like that and left. You should have seen everyone's face. About a half mile down the road I passed an ambulance, firetruck and police offers screaming by with their lights on. I literally have a scrape on my knee, I don't know how this is possible.

If you saw my crash, I should be dead. I should ATLEAST have a broken bone. I have a scrape on my knee that looks no more than what I would get skateboarding as a kid. I no longer try to test these things in a sadistic way. I no longer run from my path or feel like its a burden. That was years ago and something I try to forget. I love who I am, I love my role and I feel truly blessed. But today again left me in awe. Who ever has my back, I cant thank you enough. Before I would have begged to be taken out of this reality, but today I want nothing more than to be me. I will never take it for granted again and I will always dedicate my life to service to other.

This is my injury from crashing my bike at 40-45 mph.

My 91' ex500 didn't come out of it as well as I did....

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

CD7
25th September 2013, 02:31
Yes everything worked out indeed. Im glad it was not worse for you...

WhiteFeather
25th September 2013, 03:04
I forgot what they call it but i have seen this before. Where people escape disasters without a scratch. Some sorta timeline jumpy thingy. Weird Dude. Glad you made it out with just a scratch. You mighta just timelined it too bro. You werent ready to leave us just yet.

skippy
25th September 2013, 03:25
He dpwishy, back on your feet, alive and kicking.. :)

P2K_1qvIsFo

Tesla_WTC_Solution
25th September 2013, 03:28
Broken bones are really scary, and I am quite glad that you don't have to recover from one of those!!!

So many people die on those damn bikes; I am really glad that you were able to roll over what I hope was grass and not rearrange yourself too much :(

My boss in the AF claimed he had a similar accident to yours. Some old woman (! lol) turned across the left lane of a 4 lane highway toward a gas station, without signalling, and my boss said his motorcycle literally impaled the corner of her stopped car and threw him over her roof into the grass.

I had a friend in Germany who bicycled constantly, and who suffered a similar accident where a car crossed the street from an alley, his bicycle was destroyed against the door of the car while he himself Judo rolled across the top and pavement. Ouch! But hardly a scratch.

You are lucky beyond words -- may luck continue to lead you!

panopticon
25th September 2013, 03:39
G'day Wishy,

Your story is mine.

I remember having to lift the bloody bike off myself cause everyone was concerned for my pillion (they assumed I was dead after high siding and then bouncing into the back of a van at speed before the bike caught up with me :) ).

Fair suck of the sav.

Plus my brother-in-law just happened to be driving his truck the other way at that very moment (city of around a million people -- go figure) and was able to give my lovely nymph a lift.

I managed to get the bitch running (buggered if I know how) and got her to Micks place where we assessed the damage...

Anyway, just a bit of gravel rash, a sore shoulder and a couple of cartons + spares.

That was when I was a young reckless 30 year old... Now it would be more like 4 cartons as it would take longer and require more "helpers". :p

Good to hear you're a member of a CSA scheme (we call it Community Supported Agriculture in Oz). Should be more of it!
-- Pan

Orph
25th September 2013, 04:16
I used to race motocross, (just at the amateur level), and had some real doozies when it came to crashes and walked away from every one. And I mean really bad crashes. Not long ago I crashed my streetbike on a back country road doing about 50 mph. The bike was totaled. Although I was taken to the hospital, I walked out an hour later with nothing more than a little road rash and a gimpy leg. The police officer doing the accident report was at the hospital and he asked me how was it that I ended up 50 to 60 feet away from my motorcycle. Well, I fly about half that distance after going over the bars, then bounced and rolled the rest of the way. :lol:

Anyway, stuff happens. Some of us seem to get away with it. Others don't. Who knows why.

ThePythonicCow
25th September 2013, 04:56
I had a friend in Germany who bicycled constantly, and who suffered a similar accident where a car crossed the street from an alley, his bicycle was destroyed against the door of the car while he himself Judo rolled across the top and pavement. Ouch! But hardly a scratch.
That reminds me ... I was bicycling down an avenue in Portland, Oregon, in the late 1960's, in fine shape, peddling perhaps 20 or 25 mph.

A lady approached from a side street, stopped, looked both ways (but did not see me) and then pulled out in front of me at just the wrong instant. My head bashed in her front door several inches, bounced off, bashed in her rear door just a couple of inches, bounced off, and bashed in the fender well over her rear wheel just a little, as my bicycle went out from under me, torn to shreds in that rear wheel. The lady heard a couple of clunking sounds, and the first time she ever saw me, I was in her rear view mirror, on the pavement, with a seriously messed up bicycle. I doubt she forgot that soon.

I ended up needing a few stiches above one knee. To this day, that is my "magnesium" monitor. When the muscle just above that old injury starts to twitch (fibulate), it means I need to increase my magnesium intake. That sure beats using one's heart muscle that way ... using a heart attack (twitching heart muscle) as an indicator one is low on magnesium.

Violet
25th September 2013, 07:58
Thanks for showing us how to be grateful. Be safe.

TargeT
25th September 2013, 14:11
I used to race bikes (very amateur level) and have crashed probably 8 times above 30 MPH to include some at 60-70 mph. motorcycle accidents can be nothing, or everything... it all depends on your slide.

I'd guess you hammered the breaks, your front wheel gave out and your bike went down with you on it, a lowside crash; pretty common in a panic break situation,
Lowside:
-IoJ9hQj37M

if you had highsided ( your rear wheel slips out a bit then both wheels gain traction and you are launched over the top) you would have had a bit more damage but not much.
Highside:
rlMbFlPzS24

I tell people to think of it this way, imagine falling out of a chair, that's about how bad a motorcycle accident usually is (assuming you are wearing pants & a jacket... if your in flipflops and shorts you will look like someone attacked you with a cheese grater).

you can crash at 70 MPH and walk away fine as long as you don't slide into something, that's where the danger is, what are you going to slide into.. my worst accident I slid into a hay bale at about 50 mph, cracked ribs and saw stars from a HAY bale! (I can't imagine what hitting a telephone pole, or car, or rock or wall at that speed would do).

I ride every day to work now & haven't gone down (over 20mph) in about 13 years now (how DO we live through our 20's?)

northstar
25th September 2013, 16:05
Thank you for your honest and genuine sharing. Great peace and love to you. May your days and your ways be filled with light, laughter, love and all good things.

Here is what your story made me think of: Peace. Love. Grace. Service. Allowing.

Ernie Nemeth
25th September 2013, 16:26
I once drove my gal downtown on my 500 Yami for dinner. She had a dress and high heels on. I had my usual gear, leather coat, gloves, boots. We came out to see that it had drizzled a bit while we were eating. Now, I learnt to drive from my buddy and his father who taught me the proper way to be safe on a motorbike by anticipating danger ahead of time.
Still, there are some things that cannot be anticipated. There are many streetcars tracks in Toronto. I hit one of those doing no more than five miles an hour.
The back wheel hit the tracks, got stuck in the rut, slid along the rail, and before I knew it we were driving backwards and then we fell and slid on the tarmac. I was fine. She got all scraped up along one leg and she has a scar to this day. She later became my wife.
So, ya, bikes are dangerous but they are so much fun.
I've riden many types of bike since then. Here's a list:
Harley Roadster (really nice bike).
500 Triumph, chopped. (the gears and back brake are reversed on these, hard to get used to)
BSA Rocket (500 1 cylinder). (lots of vibrations, always breaking down)
Norton 750 + 850 (750 was louder with more torque) [750 was a Commando model with articulated frame that bends when turning, you can really LEAN]
Yamaha (?) 400 RD 2-stroke street bike (super fast!)
750 Kawi (even faster!)
650 Suzuki water cooled (nasty and heavy) - owner smashed himself up beyond repair on it
50 Honda scooter (the bike that made me fall in love with motorcycles)

There might be more that I forget. We used to swap bikes for a day in our circle...

Bob
25th September 2013, 17:10
I've dumped my XL550 on the road, taken it cross country (knock on the helmet) safely. Lost it on gravel pulling out of parking lot of all things. Flipped it on dirt going up one of those i knew better not to try hills.. They are great, being out in the open air. Driving in the maple trees during fall is my favorite time of year. Glad you are OK alive and well.

Mu2143
25th September 2013, 17:12

TargeT
25th September 2013, 17:28
There might be more that I forget. We used to swap bikes for a day in our circle...

I've dumped my XL550 on the road, taken it cross country (knock on the helmet) safely. Lost it on gravel pulling out of parking lot of all things. Flipped it on dirt going up one of those i knew better not to try hills.. They are great, being out in the open air. Driving in the maple trees during fall is my favorite time of year. Glad you are OK alive and well.

Try an electric bike if you get a chance.. it's totaly changed the way I think of riding... it's simpler (no gears) and absolutely quiet, no hot pipes, no heat from the engine, no fumes, no exhaust (no maintence!) no sound... it's a whole different experience, especially on dirt trails in the wilderness.

donk
25th September 2013, 17:47
Congratulations on your staying off the booze, and happy year avalon-versary! Glad you are with us...and for sharing your experience...

soleil
25th September 2013, 18:56
youre a big deal wishy, bc you've got great things to share - so i'm not surprised you are protected :D

dpwishy
26th September 2013, 02:50
Thanks for all the kind word, you have no idea what it means! Today was a sore day for sure, things are aching that I had no idea existed, but hey, nothings broken eh?

I saw an acupuncturist today for the first time, a lady trained in Chinese medicine, the real deal. I went for both the physical bike crash and my spiritual path. I have a buddy who has seen her for years. She is a true healer and intuitive. She was creeping me out today how she was talking to me. She knew very well who I was, if that makes sense? She asked what I came for and I said that I have abundant spiritual and psychic energy, but for the last decade I have been going after it using entheogens and I believe this has left some blocks and disruptions in my energetic body. Now that I no longer want to use these tools to access these things, I feel like I cant because I messed some systems up. She agreed that unlocking the things the way I did caused some problems. She made a comment to me before she started sticking me with needles, she said "when you are not living at your potential, the universe will nudge you into doing so". She told me that a lot of people walk into her office in order to achieve a higher state of consciousness, she told me I had it when I walked in the door. It was such a nice feeling. Lately I feel like God has been putting people in my life that understand and can see who I am. I used to feel so alone, so alone, but now I am getting recognition in my own private way that is giving me so much confidence in my self and my path. My cheeks have hurt today because I have been smiling in a way I never had before. My cheeks literally hurt....

She asked if there are any area's I would like to target and I told her the only thing I care about is my heart center. I got needles in my ears and around my heart. She wrapped me in this blanket almost like a mummy and put this heated fan on my feet. She left the room and then magic happened. I WAS GONE! It was my first time so I didnt know what you were supposed to do. I was feeling IMMENSE energy building up in my hands, legs and head. It literally felt like I had cinder blocks on each foot and hand, all while my middle section felt like pure lightness. I didnt know you were supposed to just go with it so over the next 45 mins I used all my training I could to stay conscious, it was a battle. My body just wanted to go with it and get knocked out, which I should have done. Instead I was moving this energy all around and into my heart. At one point I felt like I was going to pop, so I backed off. When the time ended and she took out the needles, I sat in the waiting room for another 20 minutes. There was no way I could ride my motorcycle home, I was absolutely BLASTED. The most amazing, light, airy, pure bliss. I was high as a kite. She told me I did amazing for my first time but to just go with it next time, dont try to mess around with it like I was.

I got this sense like I met my metaphorical guru today. Not someone who is going to teach me and tell me information, but this lady is the last puzzle piece I need to fully integrate and grow who I am. There was this amazing connection. She knew very well who I was, my intentions and what I want to do. She asked me once again what my purpose in her office was and I said "so I could help others" as a tear rolled down my face. I felt at a very deep level that she really appreciated my desire, that she knew it was not hollow words.

I am just in a total loss of words. This last week has been amazing, I had an experience with my higher self and source on sunday that lifted me up to a whole knew height, and now this between the crash and acupuncture. I feel like I am bursting at the seems. I finally feel like its my time to stand up and shine. For once I no longer feel like a chess piece on the board, now I am the hand that moves the pieces....

I love you all, I truly mean that.
Manifest on.....

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

panopticon
26th September 2013, 04:46
Highside:
rlMbFlPzS24

Put a white van stopped in his way and the bike crushing him between the back of the van and you've got what mine looked like (though a tad faster!) :)

Try an electric bike if you get a chance.. it's totaly changed the way I think of riding... it's simpler (no gears) and absolutely quiet, no hot pipes, no heat from the engine, no fumes, no exhaust (no maintence!) no sound... it's a whole different experience, especially on dirt trails in the wilderness.

What's your range like per charge? Can you cruise @ 70 mph? Just curious as tech has probably improved since I last looked at lecky bikes.
-- Pan

northstar
26th September 2013, 11:27
I got this sense like I met my metaphorical guru today. Not someone who is going to teach me and tell me information, but this lady is the last puzzle piece I need to fully integrate and grow who I am. There was this amazing connection. She knew very well who I was, my intentions and what I want to do. She asked me once again what my purpose in her office was and I said "so I could help others" as a tear rolled down my face. I felt at a very deep level that she really appreciated my desire, that she knew it was not hollow words.

I am just in a total loss of words. This last week has been amazing, I had an experience with my higher self and source on sunday that lifted me up to a whole knew height, and now this between the crash and acupuncture. I feel like I am bursting at the seems. I finally feel like its my time to stand up and shine. For once I no longer feel like a chess piece on the board, now I am the hand that moves the pieces....

I love you all, I truly mean that.
Manifest on.....

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

I am feeling the purity and love of your remarkable initiation experience. Once you find your way home (and home is our heart!) service to others feels like a sacred activity.

TargeT
26th September 2013, 18:51
What's your range like per charge? Can you cruise @ 70 mph? Just curious as tech has probably improved since I last looked at lecky bikes.
-- Pan

I have the on/off road model, so it only goes 70miles on a charge (city riding) but the "street" bikes get 120 miles per charge.

My bike can go 90mph, but not stay there long (gets hot) I can cruize at 70mph till I run out of charge (which happens quicker at that speed due to air drag etc..)

www.zeromotorcycles.com they really have made some impressive improvements in 2013.

grannyfranny100
27th September 2013, 07:23
Humm. Woman failed to use her turn signal. You failed to "maintain assured distance" and "left the scene of an accident." Better check with an attorney to see if these laws apply in your state and if the police will come and get you. I guess you weren't wearing leather cycling pants and got a bobo on your knee. Good thing someone else wasn't behind you, driving too close and slammed into you or you would have more than a knee bobo.

dpwishy
27th September 2013, 13:15
Humm. Woman failed to use her turn signal. You failed to "maintain assured distance" and "left the scene of an accident." Better check with an attorney to see if these laws apply in your state and if the police will come and get you. I guess you weren't wearing leather cycling pants and got a bobo on your knee. Good thing someone else wasn't behind you, driving too close and slammed into you or you would have more than a knee bobo.

I was following a reasonable distance. You could tell she missed her turn and tried to turn the last second. In the end it was rider error. My back breaks needed changing, I knew this, and I applied the front breaks way to hard for how much back breaks I had. I never touched her car, nor hit anyone else. There was no car accident, just me going over the handlebars. The reason I left was, I never hit anyone. All I did was refuse medical treatment. I called the police after I visited the E.R to cover my butt and they said I did nothing wrong as no one was hit. They would have liked if I stayed, but there was no accident. I had a riding jacket on that's padded in the arms and back that's rated for highway speeds, I just dont wear pants, its a little much. In the end, I am a new rider, only half a year or so and never had to apply breaks like that. Lesson learned, I am going to take a riders safety class to better know how to apply breaks correctly at that rate. I am a very reasonable rider on my bike, I don't speed and I don't tail people. I can't control how other people drive though....

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

TargeT
27th September 2013, 14:20
dp, just go out in a lot somewhere and do some panic brake tests, start slow and work your way up to speed... practice makes perfect!

I've found that when I panic brake the best method is a incrementally harder squeeze, starting out fairly soft, I'll lock up the rear wheel and back off a bit just to make sure I'm right on the edge of traction with the rear wheel (though around 80% of your breaking is done off the front wheel) and squeeze firmly applying more pressure (don't jerk the breaks! traction is the key here, and being smooth helps avoid breaking traction)

The circle of traction is a great way to conceptualize this stuff (important when racing to understand traction, but it easily applies to every day life)
JjCcFsGLpaM

another great way to practice panic breaking is have a friend with you, ride slightly in your friends direction and have them randomly hold up a hand, then you have to stop as quickly as possible in a controlled way (again build up from 15 mph to 40 mph for practice)

I've learned that racing (or just messing around at the limits of your equipment (bike, car, etc..)) will give you THE BEST skills for accident avoidance in real life.

grannyfranny100
28th September 2013, 05:18
Glad you didn't end up in trouble with the law! People in cars who don't use their signals, piss me off.

Krist
28th September 2013, 14:08
There are 2 types of riders ,those that have gone down & those that have not.Good thing to be able to walk away from that hit dpwishy.Ride on !

heretogrow
28th September 2013, 15:47
Wow Wishy, I am so glad you are ok! I know it so hard to come to terms with having a purpose in life and not really feeling able to accept it. Unfortunately life may keep jostling you about a bit until you do. Stay well! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Much Love,
Julia

northstar
29th September 2013, 23:16
haha its funny reading through this thread. So many people took it as a discussion of motorcycles but it seemed to me that the the OP was mostly using the motorcycle accident to talk about some profound spiritual insights he gained.

Its interesting stuff, how different people understand the same piece of writing in different ways.

dpwishy
4th October 2013, 20:31
haha its funny reading through this thread. So many people took it as a discussion of motorcycles but it seemed to me that the the OP was mostly using the motorcycle accident to talk about some profound spiritual insights he gained.

Its interesting stuff, how different people understand the same piece of writing in different ways.

;)

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

Bill Ryan
5th October 2013, 02:38
http://projectavalon.net/Bill_Ryan_on_bike_vsm.jpg

... about ten years ago. :)

So many people took it as a discussion of motorcycles but it seemed to me that the the OP was mostly using the motorcycle accident to talk about some profound spiritual insights he gained..

Yes, he was!

:focus:

grannyfranny100
5th October 2013, 15:39
I don't see this thread as "spiritual insight." I see it as male bonding because they never have had a real chance to test their manhood in any society rituals such as the Indians have for their young males and hopefully they never had to test their manhood in one of our stupid wars.

Our society's test of manhood seems to be how much money you make. Pretty sicko to have to be part of the 1% and a psychopath to prove your manhood. Otherwise males tell "war stories" of their travails with their adult toy they call a motorcycle. Seems pretty pathetic to me.

TargeT
5th October 2013, 17:12

I guess I was the guy saying "no, you weren't 'protected" it's a common type of accident which most people come out with little to no injuries'.

but then I guess we can see in events anything we want to, our perception is the master of our reality.

dpwishy
6th October 2013, 00:12
I don't see this thread as "spiritual insight." I see it as male bonding because they never have had a real chance to test their manhood in any society rituals such as the Indians have for their young males and hopefully they never had to test their manhood in one of our stupid wars.

Our society's test of manhood seems to be how much money you make. Pretty sicko to have to be part of the 1% and a psychopath to prove your manhood. Otherwise males tell "war stories" of their travails with their adult toy they call a motorcycle. Seems pretty pathetic to me.

I find that post pretty offensive on a couple levels. One, I think its clear you did not read both my posts on the first page, especially post #18. The first post was a stepping stone to the second. This had nothing to do with a motorcycle crash, EVERYTHING I post here is calculated and designed for a specific reason. Look at my post count, I am here a couple hours a day and yet have 70 posts in a year....????? And to be honest, the thread never went where I wanted it to go or what I truly wanted to talk about because it turned into a discussion about motorcycles, so I backed off...

Second, I find it even more offense that you are judging me and you dont even know me. I am a shaman, you do realize this? You say "I see it as male bonding because they never have had a real chance to test their manhood in any society rituals such as the Indians have for their young males ". May I ask; How does one become a shaman? If you want to talk about coming to age rituals/manhood rituals, we can go on for ever. Ill minus the male aspect as I dont see this as a male/female thing, but a human thing. I have taken these rituals, hundreds of these. Id dare anyone, anyone, to go through any of the rituals I have, then we can talk about bravery, about "manhood". I have dealt and worked with things that would put most people in an institution. I found that post beyond offensive. Why should I have to talk about these "manhood" rituals or any of my experiences on the path to prove to you or anyone else who I am? I hate that I had to type this paragraph as I have tried my hardest not to talk about my "credentials" in any of my posts, what I have done to get where I am, the things I had to face, the hundreds of entheogenic (ayahuasca, mescaline, cyan/cubensis) rituals I under went, the spiritual and psychic energy I have and worked with for a decade. I am not here to say "look at me! Look at me!" I am here to say look at YOU, look inside of yourself and see whats there..... Thats what I am here to do. This has never once been about me, I am sorry you can't see that.

Be careful who you judge. If you only knew what I have done for everyone BUT me. If you only knew....

I love you

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

TargeT
6th October 2013, 00:38
[

Be careful who you judge. If you only knew what I have done for everyone BUT me. If you only knew....

every time (and there are MANY many times) I think of saying this type of statement, I IMMEDIATELY bite my tongue as I know this type of thought completely invalidates all that comes to mind in the reference of the desire to express this thought.

be careful with this feeling; it is far better to do these actions never expecting recognition, even when faced with audacious accusation or prosecution.

the actions stand on their own, always have faith in that, no one needs keep score; not even you.

grannyfranny100
6th October 2013, 01:14
dpwishy, sorry I offended you. Glad you had the opportunity to test your manhood in ways most men don't have a chance. As bizarre as I find male bonding through motorcycle stories, I am sure you can find some female activities and bonding rituals just as stupid or dumb. I am not judging you (was that a threat), I am just pointing out that I think it is a ridiculous and frivolous waste of time. And I wonder how many women find it sexy?

I prefer men that have stood up for their principles even when it was not in their short term interests, be it at work or home. That is a measure of man in my eyes.

I particularly enjoy men who are self made and one was even working by age 8, digging ditches at age 10 and bringing home that money to help the family while also hunting raccoons when their pelts brought $60 each and the meat fed them in winter. He even went on to have his own business and made sure his employees got paid every week even when it meant he didn't, gave criminals a chance at a job when they got out of jail.

Or my dad who was assigned as a flight instructor and volunteered to go overseas when the President signed an order to make that okay during WWII. He was awarded many medals including the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Another man I admire is a guy that spent four years in college, four more years in medical school and eight years in residency. That is the self discipline to endure 16 years of post high school education! While running a successful medical practice, he was giving papers at international conferences and training Chinese doctors in some advanced techniques he developed. Currently he is also spearheading the opening of a medical school and medical facility in an area with too few doctors.

Motorcycling, fist fighting at sporting events or having yelling and screaming Super Bowl parties are dead give aways that a guy ain't my style.

dpwishy
6th October 2013, 01:27
dpwishy, sorry I offended you. Glad you had the opportunity to test your manhood in ways most men don't have a chance. As bizarre as I find male bonding through motorcycle stories, I am sure you can find some female activities and bonding rituals just as stupid or dumb. I am not judging you (was that a threat), I am just pointing out that I think it is a ridiculous and frivolous waste of time. And I wonder how many women find it sexy?

I prefer men that have stood up for their principles even when it was not in their short term interests, be it at work or home. That is a measure of man in my eyes.

I particularly enjoy men who are self made and one was even working by age 8, digging ditches at age 10 and bringing home that money to help the family while also hunting raccoons when their pelts brought $60 each and the meat fed them in winter. He even went on to have his own business and made sure his employees got paid every week even when it meant he didn't, gave criminals a chance at a job when they got out of jail.

Or my dad who was assigned as a flight instructor and volunteered to go overseas when the President signed an order to make that okay during WWII. He was awarded many medals including the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Another man I admire is a guy that spent four years in college, four more years in medical school and eight years in residency. That is the self discipline to endure 16 years of post high school education! While running a successful medical practice, he was giving papers at international conferences and training Chinese doctors in some advanced techniques he developed. Currently he is also spearheading the opening of a medical school and medical facility in an area with too few doctors.

Motorcycling, fist fighting at sporting events or having yelling and screaming Super Bowl parties are dead give aways that a guy ain't my style.

You have made false accusations in multiple posts in this thread, post #22 is another example. Post #31 was just the icing on the cake and was over the top offensive, not to me, but to a whole gender. Me being offended more has to do with your intentions and tone on this thread, which are completely unnecessary. It seems you came here to stir the pot, in multiple posts. My mom always said "if you have nothing nice to say then........"

I made the post with the wink eye to northstar's quote (post #29) to try and bring this thread back to its original meaning (It looks like Bill did too), and yet there it goes again with your post.

Maybe you should take more care in the words you say and how they come off your keyboard.

In divine friendship,
your brother,
-wishy

Freed Fox
6th October 2013, 01:34
dp, I'd really like to see you start a focused thread on shamanism, and/or one more aligned with your original intent for this one. No offense to the guys talking bikes here. :p

It is an important topic I think, and one of great interest to me. Though I've never had any real opportunities to follow the shamanic path properly (as it does, in my opinion, require the proper utilization of entheogens), I have a small few experiences with hallucinogens which were, in their own ways, both harrowing and eye-opening. One of the only items that would appear on my own personal 'bucket list' (if I were to write one up) would be to engage with ayahuasca under shamanic supervision. I feel that I have a healthy perspective on this because, although I would love to experience it, it also frightens me to some degree, and I would never take it without any preparation or premeditation.

If these substances were looked upon with the proper perspective (that they are to be respected, and not to be used recklessly or for mere recreation), and if the shamanic path itself was more widely prolific and appreciated, then our society would be in much, much better shape in my honest opinion.

TargeT
6th October 2013, 03:40

motorcycles just make good economic sense.... certainly seems unfair that you lump a light two wheeled mode of transportation into some machismo category... it also seems that you are un fairly lumping people into categories based on modes of transportation, comparing that to fist fighting & sports etc..

besides, I don't think that categories of "guys that are your style" really has very much to do with this thread, or it's main topic.

panopticon
6th October 2013, 07:22
The reason I chose to participate in this thread was to encourage dpwishy to relate his story.

I could have related a number of incidents where I should have died or been seriously injured but chose the one that related to the story being told.

In addition the story I told held an added component to do with my life that on occasion I mention in this forum. No matter how dire the happening there is always someone there to assist me. In the chosen story it was my brother-in-law, in others it has been friends, acquaintances and strangers. This is part of my story and I relate it so as to reflect the OP.

My back ground also involves initiation so that is part of my story.

I rarely ride with others. There is no shared experience for me in riding my bike. It is a way of being within the environment when travelling further than I can comfortably walk. I use the ute when I'm carting things and don't feel any preference to either mode of transport outside of suitability for the activity. There is a turn of phrase in Australia (I thought it was prevalent in all Westernised societies) where certain activities that involve labour are referred to by beer cartons. So if I was getting a friend around to help build a wall it would be a 2 carton job. There wouldn't necessarily be 2 cartons involved (though sometimes there is) it's just a turn of phrase. I apologise as this appears to be an Australian colloquialism that was lost in translation.

Finally, I said that dpwishy's story was my own.
His story in relation to the use of alcohol to run from his path is mine.
His story regards initiation while different to mine reflects it.
His story of survival is mine.
Lastly, but equally as important, his use of a CSA reflects my involvement in CSA's.

I carefully choose what threads to post in and this is one where I felt it important to let dpwishy know he was not alone. Somehow this has been interpreted as something else. Sometimes I post things to keep a thread I view is important alive (as I am doing now). Sometimes my post may be off the theme of a thread but rarely are they far from the topic.
Kind Regards, :yo:
Panopticon

panopticon
6th October 2013, 07:25
dp, I'd really like to see you start a focused thread on shamanism, and/or one more aligned with your original intent for this one. No offense to the guys talking bikes here. :p

It is an important topic I think, and one of great interest to me. Though I've never had any real opportunities to follow the shamanic path properly (as it does, in my opinion, require the proper utilization of entheogens), I have a small few experiences with hallucinogens which were, in their own ways, both harrowing and eye-opening. One of the only items that would appear on my own personal 'bucket list' (if I were to write one up) would be to engage with ayahuasca under shamanic supervision. I feel that I have a healthy perspective on this because, although I would love to experience it, it also frightens me to some degree, and I would never take it without any preparation or premeditation.

If these substances were looked upon with the proper perspective (that they are to be respected, and not to be used recklessly or for mere recreation), and if the shamanic path itself was more widely prolific and appreciated, then our society would be in much, much better shape in my honest opinion.

Not all paths use hallucinogens.
-- Pan

Flash
6th October 2013, 07:31

I do think you are making a sarcastic tease aren't you? Otherwise it would sound pretty much "granny" to me, even as a woman. I do think that people should enjoy their toy when they are having fun and not harming anybody. To tell the truth, I see no difference from women happy to talk about the new clothing style they have discover or a great way to lose weight while having fun.

--------------

edited: ok grannyfanny, I just read your second post. We are pretty much on the same vibes it seems.

I must also admit.. hum.. hum... I must admit... that I like seeing guys on their motorcycles, it is sexy...

I must be light headed. lol

wolf_rt
6th October 2013, 07:36
I like toys, adult or juvenile :-) and play with them at every opportunity.

Is playing LEGO 'proving my manhood'?

grannyfranny100
6th October 2013, 12:16
dpwishy, you are right. It is pointless for me to continue reading this thread. I thought it might provide some insight into the male cultural motifs but it doesn't. Bye.

panopticon
7th October 2013, 04:34
From a translation of the Tao Te Ching, chapter 50:

I've heard of those who are good at cultivating life
Traveling on the road, they do not encounter rhinos or tigers
Entering into an army, they are not harmed by weapons
Rhinos have nowhere to thrust their horns
Tigers have nowhere to clasp their claws
Soldiers have nowhere to lodge their blades
Why? Because they have no place for death

#######

Just to note, this is not saying that physical death can (or should) be overcome, merely that an acceptance of death as part of the natural state (ie wu-wei (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_wei)) allows for things to occur as they are meant to occur in the natural order of things.
-- Pan

panopticon
8th October 2013, 07:23
Zen and the art of falling off a motorcycle... :rolleyes:
-- Pan