PDA

View Full Version : 'Yeti' DNA matches prehistoric polar bear

Skywizard
17th October 2013, 12:36
http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article8884989.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/web-bigfoot-rex.jpg
Could a species of bear have been mistaken for the Yeti?

Alleged Yeti hairs retrieved from the Himalayas have been identified as those of a rare bear sub-species.

Genetics professor Bryan Sykes of Oxford University had set out to explore the myth of the enigmatic Yeti or 'Abominable Snowman' by collecting and testing samples of hair retrieved from regions of the Himalayas where the creature is believed to exist.

For his analysis he conducted tests on two hair samples, one from Ladakh and one from Bhutan. What he discovered was that one of the samples matched an ancient polar bear jawbone from Norway dating back between 40,000 and 120,000 years.

"This is an exciting and completely unexpected result that gave us all a surprise," said Prof Sykes. "There's more work to be done on interpreting the results. I don't think it means there are ancient polar bears wandering around the Himalayas."

The results do however suggest the possibility that the legend of the Yeti could in part be attributed to the presence of bears in the region.

"It could mean there is a sub species of brown bear in the High Himalayas descended from the bear that was the ancestor of the polar bear," Prof Sykes added. "Or it could mean there has been more recent hybridisation between the brown bear and the descendent of the ancient polar bear."

Source: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/256345/yeti-dna-matches-prehistoric-polar-bear
Read Full Story: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/has-the-yeti-mystery-been-solved-new-research-finds-bigfoot-dna-matches-rare-polar-bear-8884811.html

peace...
skywizard

Ellisa
17th October 2013, 23:06
I read about this in my non-tech newspaper this morning, and was going to research it for myself. Then I wondered if you would have posted it, SW! Thanks for doing the work for me. It seems to me highly likely that there may be 'things' we haven't discovered yet lurking in that wilderness of ice and snow. It could also be that climate change may force the discovery of the possible secrets.

markpierre
18th October 2013, 02:19
The hairs were from bears, not yeti. That's what it proved. Hard to imagine that scientists can be that stupid.
But it's cool to know there are bears out there that haven't been cataloged. That means that the yeti is probably
apt to be acceptable eventually too. Give them some real yeti DNA and see what they come up with.

jagman
18th October 2013, 04:39
If this creature is from the polar bear,It's probably a ferocious predator. The polar bear is
one of the few animals that hunt man for food.

DNA
20th October 2013, 07:40
Edgar Cayce stated bigfoot was a genetic hybrid of man and bear put together in the time of atlantis. Dr. Ketchum announced in 2012 that her attempt to unravel the genome from bigfoot samples given her by David Paulides was in fact a hybrid that included human dna that was only 13000 years old.

shadowstalker
20th October 2013, 08:42
Edgar Cayce stated bigfoot was a genetic hybrid of man and bear put together in the time of atlantis. Dr. Ketchum announced in 2012 that her attempt to unravel the genome from bigfoot samples given her by David Paulides was in fact a hybrid that included human dna that was only 13000 years old.
Which book would that be?
I have several Edgar Cayce books on my nook self I have yet to read.

markpierre
20th October 2013, 09:18

Ahhh. That's really interesting. That challenges what little shred of reasoning I have left really well. I don't question Cayce.
Ya gotta love those Atlantians thinkin; 'in 13,000 years those guys are gonna crap their pants.'