PDA

View Full Version : $2 Solution From Novice Inventor is Saving Lives on the Highway

Vitalux
18th October 2013, 02:42
A few years ago I use to hear a lot of stories about truck tires flying off trucks and fatally injuring other motorist.
I was moved that one man thought of a cheep solution and ended up being able to make a difference in the world.

It must be a good night sleep this man must have, knowing that he has made the world a bit more safer for both you, and I to play in.

:playball:

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/images/stories/transportation/tire_safety_locks.jpg

A retired 65-year-old businessman set his mind on trying to invent something useful. He did just that after a "Eureka" moment on the highway inspired a solution to the problem of deadly runaway truck tires.

"What he came up with was the Zafety Lug Lock," reports Macleans in Canada. "A small piece of plastic links two bolts on a truck’s wheels, effectively freezing them in place."

Four years later, nearly one million of Jaime Hogge's two-dollar plastic locks are on the road.

This year, the Zafety Lug Lock won Canada’s most prestigious innovation award, the Ernest C. Manning Innovation Award.

(READ the story, w/ Jamie's photo, at Macleans (http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/09/26/nuts-for-truck-safety/))

wolf_rt
18th October 2013, 05:10
Not really seeing it... How many of these wheel loss incidents are caused by properly installed wheel nuts working loose?

It seems to me (no data just opinion) that most of these incidents would be due to broken studs/improperly tightened wheel nuts. If the nuts aren't torqued correctly the studs will break regardless of whether the nuts come (more)loose or not.

If this was a serious problem then why not just drill wheel nuts for lock wire?

Shannow
18th October 2013, 05:55
^ what he said, they are an answer waiting for a problem.

I have only ever seen three wheels nearly fall off...my parent's ar when a mechanic flubbed up, my car when a mechanic flubbed up, and my brother's car when a mechanic flubbed up and my brother went back to back and made it worse.

These plastic things are now mandatory in the coal mines around here, and in 20+ years before they were introduced, I have never heard of a wheel coming loose.

Because I notice "differences", the number of cars with sheared off studs and no wheels falling off is incredible.