PDA

View Full Version : Amnesty and Forgiveness

Robin
24th October 2013, 01:54
I believe that this article was mentioned before on the forum, but I want to dedicate an entire thread to the idea of forgiving people who did not wish to bring harm to people.

Here's the first article that sparked the outcry. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2450896/Hunters-apologise-killing-rare-albino-moose-Canada.html)

'Sorry we shot your sacred moose': Hunters apologise after killing rare albino bull revered by Canadian tribes
PUBLISHED: 07:09 EST, 9 October 2013

The 'spirit moose' was shot during a hunting trip to Cape Breton Highlands
Hunters who killed it claim they did not realise it was sacred to Mi'kmaq
They are returning it to the First Nation tribe to be disposed of respectfully

Three hunters are trying to make amends for causing an outcry after they killed a rare albino moose considered sacred by the indigenous Mi'kmaq people.

The hunters, who have not been named, shot the animal in the Cape Breton Highlands of Nova Scotia in Canada during a recent trip to the area.

They claim they did not realise that their trophy would spark outrage among the Mi'kmaq, who believe albino creatures to be 'spirit' animals.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/09/article-2450896-18A3D03000000578-207_634x413.jpg
Backlash: The indigenous Mi'kmaq communities in Nova Scotia, Canada, are incensed that hunters shot this moose recently. The hunters originally posted this photo on Facebook. Since the backlash, it has been taken down

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/09/article-2450896-18A3AF0500000578-33_634x479.jpg
Slaughter: The hunters have apologized and are trying to make amends for killing the rare albino moose considered sacred by the indigenous Mi'kmaq people

Their calamitous error was spotted by Jim Hnatiuks, when the trio brought the carcass of the dead creature into his hunting and taxidermy store in Lantz for it to be mounted.

He said: 'The hunters are saying "we wouldn’t have shot the moose if we had known it meant that much."

'They thought they had a successful moose hunt. It was odd that they shot a white moose, but to find out "wow", there’s a lot more behind it.'

Mr Hnatiuks insisted the hunters were unaware of the implications of killing the rare Spirit Moose.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/09/article-2450896-18A3AF0C00000578-594_634x462.jpg
Blunder: Their calamitous error was spotted by Jim Hnatiuks, when the trio brought the carcass of the dead creature into his hunting and taxidermy store in Lantz for it to be mounted

They are returning the hide so the Mi’kmaq can perform a sacred ceremony.

Chief Bob Gloade, of the Millbrook First Nation, said: 'We’ve received full cooperation from the hunters and from Mr Hnatiuks as well and, during the ceremonies next week, they’re actually willing to participate.

First Nation communities voiced their anger after photos of the hunters posing with the moose appeared on social media.

Mr Hnatiuks is now acting on behalf of the hunters to ensure the moose is disposed of in a manner considered respectful by the Mi'kmaq.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/09/article-2450896-18A13FEE00000578-747_634x427.jpg
Sacred: Albino creatures are considered to be spirits by the indigenous Mi'kmaq people

'It shows a willingness to cooperate and an ability to show respect to not only the Mi’kmaq people but also to the culture and history.'

While it is not illegal to shoot a white moose during the hunting season the Mi'kmaq believe it breaks an unwritten rule surrounding a cultural belief held by them for generations.

Mr Gloade said the only protection open for the sacred animals is tradition, but he is hoping for legislation to protect spirit animals from being hunted.

He added: 'To recognise the importance and significance to the Mi’kmaq people is the next step moving forward and it’s a way of building better relationships between the aboriginal and non-aboriginal community.'

After a whole calamity of this native tribe being upset and the hunters feeling bad for their mistake, the hunters gave them back the moose hide and the tribe invited them to their ceremony to honor the sacred albino moose.

Here is the second article. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/albino-moose-killed-by-hunters-honoured-in-mi-kmaq-ceremony-1.2102029)

Albino moose killed by hunters honoured in Mi'kmaq ceremony
Posted: Oct 17, 2013 10:41 PM

The Mi’kmaq community in Nova Scotia held a traditional native ceremony on Thursday night to restore the spirit of an albino moose killed by hunters.

The white animal is sacred in Mi'kmaq culture and the widespread images of its carcass last week upset many people.

The albino moose is considered a spirit animal with a connection to the creator.

“There was a lot of bitterness, anger, frustration within the community and they felt a lack of respect,” said Bob Gloade, chief of Millbrook First Nation.

But leaders said Thursday's ceremony was about reconciliation between the Mi’kmaq people and the hunters.

A sacred fire burned as they gifted the animal’s white hide to the daughter of Nora Bernard, a well-known residential school activist. The moose meat was donated to Feed Nova Scotia.

The hunters attended the ceremony. Mark Drysdale said they had no idea it was considered sacred.

“We’re not bad people,” he said. “Unfortunately we didn’t know.”

The hunters and elders smoked a peace pipe together and performed a ceremony in a sweat lodge.

Leaders said the ritual will end the bad luck said to follow anyone who kills an albino moose.

October is Mi’kmaq history month in Nova Scotia and Gloade said the incident illustrated the knowledge gap between Mi’kmaq and mainstream culture.

Protecting the white moose

Mi’kmaq hunters said three white moose have been seen in Nova Scotia recently. One became sick and was put down by the Department of Natural Resources and the second was killed by the hunters. The third remains in the woods.

Gloade said the chiefs met on Thursday and agreed to support a motion to make it illegal to kill a white moose in Nova Scotia.

So what I am trying to get at here with this thread is to show everyone that forgiveness is the key to finding peace within society and within yourself. When I first heard that these hunters killed this moose without giving it a second thought, and after seeing the photos of them smiling next to their kill, I was furious!

But then when I realized that even this tribe was able to forgive them when they were personally affected, I started to think deeper. There are many people who are working for the government who want so dearly to come forth and reveal to the world what is really going on but are simply afraid for their lives if they do.

In order for us to progress as humanity, we need to grant amnesty to all those people we despise, including the Powers that be. Anger and frustration will only keep us down. We are all one--people, animals, the whole universe--and forgiveness is the key to balance.

:peace:

Tesseract
24th October 2013, 02:53
I actually admire the creed of love your enemy, and forgiveness is generally a good thing. But if that attitude, by way of inaction, condemns large numbers of people to an unjust fate, then perhaps forgiveness needs to be postponed until the house is in order.

I think that in the West forgiveness, at least for our own leaders, has gone too far. Governments know that they can kill virtually any foreigner, man woman or child, that they wish, and on any kind of sham justification. They know that they will never be punished for it, as the public is so forgiving of both mistakes and crimes, albeit with a little subtle encouragement to adopt this attitude from the media. Apathy plays a part as well, but some crimes are so obvious it is not as if people failed to recognise the offense. I believe Bush's approval ratings have hit record highs, now that its been a couple of years since Iraq. Personally I have a very long list of people, almost all of them lacking any kind of contrition, that I would like to see indicted and brought to justice. So, I would not like to officially grant them amnesty, although they more or less have the benefit of an unofficial amnesty anyway. Maybe this sort of thing is not quite what you are getting at, Sam, just adding some thoughts here..

Imagine if just one modern President of the US, or PM of England was dragged over the coals and sent to prison, by law and by the will of their own people, for the crime of murder. Just like you or I would be if we orchestrated the same atrocity. Maybe it would take 2 or 3 such cases, but if it happened I suspect that a lot of people overseas would, from that point on, be spared from aerial bombing, and people would have a more trenchant appreciation of the crimes that are being done in their name. This, in addition to whatever effect would immediately be brought about by removing such a criminal from their position of power.

Tesla_WTC_Solution
24th October 2013, 05:10
This story makes me cry.

I think it is a warning.