PDA

View Full Version : Competition vs Co-operation

Bubu
6th November 2013, 04:38
I have always wonder why competition seems to be the norm. Even in school children are taught to compete instead of cooperate. In fact when one of my children, editor in chief of school paper, ask for a suggestions for the editorial I suggested this topic.

Hear is a good article on the topic

http://www.proutglobe.org/2012/10/is-human-nature-competitive-or-cooperative/

"People who argue that “you can’t change human nature” make the mistake of assuming that because people are led to behave in a certain way in a capitalist society, that behavior reflects the essential nature of human beings. Capitalism rewards selfishness and greed, and winning by any means, fair or foul. Therefore such people conclude that this behavior is natural for all human beings and that it is impossible to establish a society based on anything except a competitive struggle for private profit.

Many new studies, however, point to quite different conclusions. Robert Augros and George Stanciu, in their book The New Biology: Discovering the Wisdom of Nature,[2] found that in fact cooperation, not competition, is the norm in nature, because it is energy-efficient and because predators and their prey maintain a kind of balanced coexistence. They found that “nature uses extraordinarily ingenious techniques to avoid conflict and competition, and that cooperation is extraordinarily widespread throughout all of nature.”[3]

I am still thinking of how to minimized or eradicate competition right now I can think only of one "start with myself"

Carmen
6th November 2013, 04:58
Bubu, a few years back I had a great book called "Cooperation verses Competition". Can't remember the author, but I lent it to someone and never got it back. It was a very compelling argument and I wish I still had that book.

markpierre
6th November 2013, 09:03
I am still thinking of how to minimized or eradicate competition right now I can think only of one "start with myself"

I think you'll find that true in human nature without too much trouble. Hunter-prey is an experience worth choosing, if that's where the interest lies.
It gets old eventually. It gets more painful than interesting. Just don't choose it, and you're fine.
Most people you would regard as genuine or real are past competition. It's more seldom individuals than cultural conditioning, and that isn't spawned by nature.
As people begin to recognize (as there's a far greater need to day by day) their dependence on genuine and trustworthiness in their neighbor, they'll begin to cooperate more. Maybe be a little more thoughtful. And more and more and more.
We don't have to 'unlearn' competition. It'll just make less and less sense.
When you can feel the despair of the person who's lost, as much as you relish you winning, you'll give up.

Here's an idea. Make it redundant.

spiritguide
6th November 2013, 12:27
Because of greed (wanting a bigger piece of the pie) has caused competition, the parties involved overlook the Win-Win situation of making the pie bigger where both competing sides win. Perspective on such matters are learned from a personal level and brought to competitors through synergy. We have been programmed for competition and this puts us in a divide and conquer mode (induced), which weakens social bonds. We need to step above such programming. The only competition one should embrace is to compete with your self to become a better person and that can lead to cooperation with others. IMHO

Peace!

boja
6th November 2013, 12:58
BEWARE OF THE COMPETITOR !

Those are words my friend's Father told him as a child 80 years ago.
Ever since my friend told me this, I find that I'm constantly reminded of those words every day.
They are so true !
Almost all competitors will stop at nothing to win.

People have told me that without competition, there would be no progress.
I don't believe that.
Here in England, we had a prime minister not many years ago, who was quoted as saying "greed is good".
How bad an example is that to set for a few million people ?

CO-OPERATION is how I prefer to lead my life.

RunningDeer
6th November 2013, 14:13
To exchange information, talents, and deeds enriches and expands All. Which creates further refinement from whence thought births bounty. Spontaneously.

greybeard
6th November 2013, 14:31
Gregg Braden speaks on the falsehood that competition is natural.
At a recent meeting delegates expressed the truth that cooperation is much more effective.
Also it seems Darwen got evolution wrong.
The relevant info comes well into the video which is a Red Ice interview.

Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Vab_xBV7I

dianna
6th November 2013, 15:30
http://i1.ytimg.com/sh/eoEeYL7i8ws/showposter.jpg?v=51fc2b7f

One of the very few times I will turn my TV set on is to watch FoodNetwork, which, in the past has been a fascinating place for me to learn about food and different cultures, foodie trends, and of course how to cook ... really was an inspiration --- and very entertaining chefs/characters, passionate and educational ---- BUT, I have been disturbed lately, as over the last few years the channel has turned into a nightmare of COMPETITION! It seems every show is now a "war" --- (cupcake wars, restaurant wars, foodtruck wars, doughnut wars, halloween wars etc etc) and even if the title of the show does not say war, it is still a competition where people suffer like "master chef" and "cuthroat kitchen" and even little kids compete on one show and they get all stressed out -- (I could name many more but you get the picture) --- It is like it is being done on purpose, and it feels quite sinister! It makes me so angry (and scared) --- like its some sort of social engineering experiment --- competitors have to destroy each other, and also there is always the JUDGMENT segments, where people are ripped to shreds --- it makes me sick sometimes to watch it (and not to even mention, food is no longer the star of the programs --- fear and anxiety have replaced the actual craft of the contestant) --- It seems like a psychopath has been put in charge of programming --- and it is being done with some sort of agenda in mind

Smell the Roses
6th November 2013, 16:36
One of the very few times I will turn my TV set on is to watch FoodNetwork, which, in the past has been a fascinating place for me to learn about food and different cultures, foodie trends, and of course how to cook ... really was an inspiration --- and very entertaining chefs/characters, passionate and educational ---- BUT, I have been disturbed lately, as over the last few years the channel has turned into a nightmare of COMPETITION! It seems every show is now a "war" --- (cupcake wars, restaurant wars, foodtruck wars, doughnut wars, halloween wars etc etc) and even if the title of the show does not say war, it is still a competition where people suffer like "master chef" and "cuthroat kitchen" and even little kids compete on one show and they get all stressed out -- (I could name many more but you get the picture) ---

You make some excellent points here. We don't have satellite anymore, but toward the end I used to watch the Food Network too. It is indeed bizarre that they are turning almost all cooking into a competition! This should be a fun, cooperative, and creative endeavor.

Bubu
7th November 2013, 00:19
My belief is that cooperation is human nature but the norm is becoming more and more of competition. who's to blame? there are of course the same group who wants to "divide and rule". But no I am responsible for myself. I have discarded the TV some 17 years ago. But now they made it available on mobile. soon to be discarded.

Bubu
7th November 2013, 00:29
competition also boost sales of products. People would want a more expensive gadgets cars etc. another reason to teach the masses to comptete. just my observation

Carmen
7th November 2013, 01:12
Humans have to be taught to compete. I don't think it's born in us necessarily, although little ones do go through a really possessive stage with playthings. Nature is a cooperative force, each benefitting the other unless it becomes unbalanced, usually by mans interference.

Robin
27th December 2013, 20:16
competition also boost sales of products. People would want a more expensive gadgets cars etc. another reason to teach the masses to comptete. just my observation

This argument tends to be brought up by economists and political scientists more than anybody else. It is no coincidence that economists and politicans are so susceptible to corruption and manipulation for greed and power.

I believe that a humanity that actually looks out for one another, that is not tied to a monetary system and therefore, materialsm, has the capability to make the very best products and technology. Anyone who says otherwise tends to be less spiritually evolved.

I am personally a service-to-others oriented being whom gets more satisfaction from giving and sharing with others than for satisfaction of my own ego. I'm sure that a planet full of service-to-others individuals has no problem co-operating to be the very best they can be.