PDA

View Full Version : NEW POPE - PR move?

Apofay
7th November 2013, 15:12
So with every new story I hear about the new Pope, I find myself more and more drawn to him, and hope for people of this world.

But then the voice in the back of my mind goes, wait a minute, it all seems too good to be true.

And then I think, ok the church has had some really bad press lately, numbers are down, people are leaving the church left and right, with all that money don't you think someone said we need to change our direction.

Force the old pope to retire, get a new "people" pope in there, and then start laying out awesome stories, POPE hugs disfigured man, etc etc.

Am I being too pessimistic?

seko
7th November 2013, 15:17
Don't pay too much attention to them, they might get your energy without you know in it.

It's a PR move like you said.

I'm sure we have enough work to do within ourselves.

Robin
7th November 2013, 16:38
I thought that this was interesting and may belong on this thread.

Vatican launches its first official cricket club

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/70648000/jpg/_70648747_70648746.jpgOfficials say the move is part of efforts to foster dialogue between faiths

The Vatican has launched its own official cricket club as part of efforts to encourage interfaith dialogue.

The St Peter's Cricket Club is the brainchild of Australia's ambassador to the Holy See, John McCarthy.

He described it as an example of "sporting diplomacy" which would present the opportunity to play the Hindus, Muslims and Sikhs.

The next stage is to select an official cricket team.

Lord's prayer
Mr McCarthy estimates that there are between 250 and 350 potential players from around the world studying in seminaries and religious universities in Rome - many of them from cricket loving countries.

The board will stage a limited-overs tournament which will give students and priests a chance to compete for a place on the team, to be known as the Vatican XI.

The team will sport the official colours of the tiny city-state - yellow and white. Their jackets will have the seal of the papacy - two crossed keys.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/70642000/jpg/_70642393_70642392.jpgFather Theodore Mascarenhas, John McCarthy, Monsignor Sanchez de Toca y Alameda and Father Eamon O'Higgins at the launch

Speaking at the launch, Monsignor Melchor Sanchez, who is the honorary president of St Peter's Cricket Club said "this represents the council's desire to go to the peripheries of the world that Pope Francis has spoken of."

And the chairman of the club, Father Theodore Mascarenhas, an Indian priest known for his off-spin bowling, was confident about the Church's skills.

"The team will be strong enough to beat anyone in the world," Father Mascarenhas said.

Pope Francis is known to like football. He is a fan of the San Lorenzo football club in his native Argentina.

But Father Mascarenhas said the Pope - who he described as an open man - would embrace a new sport.

"I think cricket is another thing that would be part of that openness."

The St Peter's Cricket Club has already laid down its first challenge to the Church of England and asked for a match at Lord's in September next year.

Source (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24628472)

Snookie
7th November 2013, 19:29
Sorry, but after Ratzinger, anyone would look like a saint! Plus, if you believe the stories, he HAD to step down due to child trafficking or something similar.

selinam
7th November 2013, 20:14
Sorry, but after Ratzinger, anyone would look like a saint! Plus, if you believe the stories, he HAD to step down due to child trafficking or something similar.

Exactly!

Selina

Soulboy
7th November 2013, 22:22

Another part of why he had to step down was the fact that a prelate of the Vatican wrote a long article in the Italian church magazine "La Chiesa" (meaning "The Church"), in which he pointed out various satanic and/ or luciferian aspects of a new church that had just been completed in Italy. You can still find the article in English online and it's absolutely baffling. Worth a read to anyone who's interested. That prelate set a deadline to Papa Ratzi to explain why he had signed off on commissioning this particular church design.

The new pope is definitely a PR move from start to finish, in my opinion. He's also trying to make the Jesuits look good, which are moving much more into the spotlight recently than they would like to be, not least thanks to Karen Hudes and others like her.

My eyebrows certainly perform a Mexican wave every time I hear any so-called "alternative" news source praising the new pope and the Jesuits. If you haven't done so already, try googling (or preferably startpaging or whatever other search engine you prefer) the words "The oath of the Jesuits". It is quite unsavoury, but see for yourselves

kcbc2010
7th November 2013, 23:57
Yes, you are being too pessimistic.

He's very humble and from what I've heard he was one of the people who was considered for the post the when JP2 died, but he didn't want it then and he really didn't want it now.

He's been cleaning up the Vatican Bank too and a lot of the people who want business as usual hate him. A lot of people can't stand that he doesn't wear the fancy clothes and live in the fancy palace.

The thing you need to keep in mind is that the Pope really isn't doing anything outside the faith. In fact, he hasn't come out and contradicted any Catholic teaching, but he talks about faith in a way that resonates with people.

What's unusual is that he forces people of both sides to step outside of their comfort zones. His security people hate trying to protect him because he's so unpredictable and they never know what he's going to do next.

I would expect the Pope to hug a disfigured man because that's what Jesus would do. The problem is that a lot of other Popes wouldn't have. The tone is refreshing to say the least.

I don't think that the Pope lessens the faith because he washes the feet of Muslim teenage women prisoners or pisses off conservatives because he won't come out and condemn the gay people.

Gardener
8th November 2013, 06:29
Hmm seems the PR is working.

conk
8th November 2013, 17:47
I doubt seriously that anyone chosen as the head of this vile organization is anything other than what the body is.

SilentFeathers
8th November 2013, 17:53
Some things are as you wish them to be.....and then, some things just are not.

selinam
8th November 2013, 19:20
Hmm seems the PR is working.

Lol! :)

Selina

TargeT
8th November 2013, 19:50
I doubt seriously that anyone chosen as the head of this vile organization is anything other than what the body is.

isn't he the first Jesuit pope.. like.... ever? (that's not good...)

David Trd1
8th November 2013, 23:38

No it most definitely is not!!

Robin
8th November 2013, 23:43

No it most definitely is not!!

I'm sure this wasn't intentional, but in context when replying to conk's comment, your comment is referring to the Pope as "it."

I like that. Quite appropriate. ;)