PDA

View Full Version : Persuasive speech assistance

LivioRazlo
7th November 2013, 22:07
Good afternoon everyone, this post is primarily reaching out to all of you to bounce some ideas off all of you and hopefully receive some feedback as well as other ideas that I could incorporate into my COMM101 class to "wake up" the masses and get the ball rolling per se in my neck of the woods. This is what I have so far as my outline and I will provide descriptions of what each section of my speech should entail.

Monroe’s Motivated Sequence – Post 9/11 America

1. Attention
- Number of deaths caused by terrorist act
- Number of deaths caused from inhalation of asbestos
- Number of deaths of U.S. soldiers (pre-war/post-war)

2. Need for change
- Expansion of government powers
- Xenophobia (relate to World War 2 and the Japanese)
- Instilling fear by government (terrorist in nature)
- Detachment from society
- Political correctness
- Surveillance/Police state

3. Satisfaction
- Information awareness (alternative media)
- Engaging in conversations outside personal knowledge and beliefs
- “Believe nothing, question everything

4. Visualization
- Expanding knowledge/consciousness
- Collective connections to others

5. Action
- Speak up and speak out

Attention: First, you gain the attention of your audience by relating to them, show importance of the topic, making startling statements, arousing curiosity or suspense, posing a question or telling a dramatic story.

Need: Making the audience feel a need for change. Showing a problem with an existing situation.

Satisfaction: After arousing the sense of need, you provide a solution to the problem - presenting a plan and show how it will work. Offer details.

Visualization: After giving the plan, you intensify desire for it by visualizing its benefits - using vivid imagery to show how listeners will profit from your policy and how this will lead to better conditions once the plan is adopted.

Action: Once the audience is convinced your policy is beneficial, you are ready to a call for action. Say exactly what you want the audience to do. Conclude with a final stirring appeal that reinforces their commitment to act.

Thank you in advance if you are able to add to my outline. This is really important to me as I want to persuade people that the conditions in America are not sustainable and we need to change or lose it all.

christian
7th November 2013, 23:19
Very cool, reminds me of this video:

8Zq4f6WYmHU
I would maybe add the number of dead Iraqi and Afghans, how many millions?

spiritguide
8th November 2013, 00:16
People must learn that change is constant and to ignore it they will be left behind. If people ignore it the change can also be negative whereas, if they become proactive they can effect the change in a positive manner for a positive outcome. Try centering the lesson around change and it's effects and how change can be effected with pro active methods. The synergy to positive change is proper communications at the basic level as the three types we use on a daily basis; intra, inter and technical. We communicate with others (intra), we communicate with ourselves (inter) and we communicate in code (technical) within specialties. PM me if you would like more info. IMHO

Peace!

Conchis
8th November 2013, 00:39
only about 7% of what you say makes a difference. Everything else is body language, tone, conviction etc. Good luck and I'd love to know how it goes for you.

RunningDeer
8th November 2013, 00:49
Very cool, reminds me of this video:

8Zq4f6WYmHU
I would maybe add the number of dead Iraqi and Afghans, how many millions?
Yes, a great video. These are some of my notes from "Revolution: An Instruction Manual":

Leadership Comes in Many Forms

Some solutions:

Take the first step.
Take action.
Break the inertia of passivity.
This is how to take back power.

From vid below a quick link @ 13:36 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zq4f6WYmHU&feature=youtu.be&t=13m36s)

“Where are the leaders?”
“How to take power out of the hands of the tyrant?”

StormCloudsGathering lists free downloads and underscores use discernment.

“The Crowd,” by Gustave LeBon
“The Psychology of Revolution,” by Gustave LeBon (free kindle (http://www.amazon.com/The-Psychology-of-Revolution-ebook/dp/B004UJNHPC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1373028260&sr=1-1&keywords=the+psychology+of+revolution))
“From Dictatorship to Democracy,” by Gene Sharp(free pdf (http://www.aeinstein.org/organizations/org/FDTD.pdf))

Leadership comes in many forms. What Real Leaders Do:

Inspire those around them to take action
Help organize people into groups
Train new leaders

LivioRazlo
8th November 2013, 02:14
This is all some very good information and a better start than what I originally thought I had, thanks.

Flash
8th November 2013, 05:11
your original start is very good, stick to it. Just add the non verbal language, tone, movements, and passion. You should move across the stage. IN small group, move amongst listeners if you can. in large group make eye contact with subgroups of 10 at a time (they will all feel they are being looked at individually), in small group make eye contact with everyone and ask lots of questions to make it interactive. Even in large groups of 250 i ask questions. 1000 become a simple presentation. Check Icke,s présentations, he is good. Check other peoples with good reputation on how they do it.

Then, practice, practice, practice. Do lots of dry runs in front of mirrors and on video tape. Check yourself. Practice and pace your voice.

Power points not more than 6 items per slide.

I do use NLP a little, such as presentation organised around visual, auditory and kinesthesic clues, to make everybody involved.

Buy books on how to speak in public, they usually have good advice.